• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Joe Dough-mez

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it doesn't solve our home grown issue. Best case scenario is that we replace Philips and Gomez with a young English CB.

And it doesn't solve our home grown issue. Best case scenario is that we replace Philips and Gomez with a young English CB.

Kumeto & Van Den Berg will be classed as home grown because they were snagged early enough and neither loaned out overseas.

If either make it.

Yer man we sold to Wolves as part of the Jotta deal would have been the same.

Then there’s Williams as well.

Not forgetting than other CB that we signed and never played that’s on loan at Sheffield Utd - he’s home grown.

If any of them actually make it, that is.

Apparently Rudiger only on 130k a week & is asking for 200k a week but Chelsea only want to pay 170k a week....

Hardly unreasonable for someone of his class.

Kumeto & Van Den Berg will be classed as home grown because they were snagged early enough and neither loaned out overseas.

If either make it.

Yer man we sold to Wolves as part of the Jotta deal would have been the same.

Then there’s Williams as well.

Not forgetting than other CB that we signed and never played that’s on loan at Sheffield Utd - he’s home grown.

If any of them actually make it, that is.
Yeah, that's a big "if".

Yeah I agree.
Some say he looked better with Philips partnering him but it's probably because Klopp had a talk with him at half time.
I was a bit reluctant to say this before, but Gomez doesn't seem that intelligent on the pitch. His reading of the game is not good at all and his positioning is just OK.The thing is that his pace bailed him out before, he seems to have lost some of it so he looks even worse now. If we're being honest, Philips is the better defender at the moment and Klopp should acknowledge that by playing him more.

I know people don't like when other said I told you so. But the things I have highlighted in your post I have been saying for quiet sometime now... Just seems funny to me that if I say them I get all type of shit from somehere.

But Hey! It will not stop me from calling what I see

Yeah, that's a big "if".

As always with young players - particularly defenders that tend to blossom late, probably because reading the game and experience is so important.

As always with young players - particularly defenders that tend to blossom late, probably because reading the game and experience is so important.
The only young defender we wrote off that made a name for himself after leaving was Paletta and that Bilbao player.
Can't think of anyone else.

I know we’ve all been very impressed by Matip’s performances this season, and he is a good player - but he’s also been present in some performances where we’ve shipped a fair few goals.

He’s the one defender that’s been on the pitch every time we’ve conceded 2 or more goals this season - mostly alongside Van Dijk - but he was alongside Gomez for the Milan game.

There’s something that doesn’t quite seem to work for me when Matip & Van Dijk are together - SOMETIMES - Gomez has been at his most effective and I think Konate will too, alongside Van Dijk.

I don’t know whether it’s because Matip is the CB most likely to push forward with the ball at his feet and get out of position, whereas Van Dijk & Konate are more likely to hit one of the diagonal long passes forward and Gomez just holds his position more and plays simple short passes.

Gomez is also the only CB flexible enough to drop into any position across the back four - granted his RB showings have been disappointing.

Anyway - they all have a part to play and I always fall back to the fact that anyone is expendable and worth selling IF it means they’re getting replaced by someone that’s going to offer more or who is a better option.

Gomez strikes me as the sort of lad that isn’t going to spit the dummy entirely about not starting every game, but will train hard to get an opportunity - a good pro.

I know people don't like when other said I told you so. But the things I have highlighted in your post I have been saying for quiet sometime now... Just seems funny to me that if I say them I get all type of shit from somehere.

But Hey! It will not stop me from calling what I see

There were plenty in this camp and why he has performed best next to VVD and Matip.

His reading of the game had improved, but is not back to where it was and, with less pace, it is more obvious. It needs game time and VVD is also showing that.

That said, I would be open to selling him for a good offer. I really don’t care by the homegrown quote, because our academy is really strong these days. The problem is our foreign dead wood.

I know we’ve all been very impressed by Matip’s performances this season, and he is a good player - but he’s also been present in some performances where we’ve shipped a fair few goals.

He’s the one defender that’s been on the pitch every time we’ve conceded 2 or more goals this season - mostly alongside Van Dijk - but he was alongside Gomez for the Milan game.

There’s something that doesn’t quite seem to work for me when Matip & Van Dijk are together - SOMETIMES - Gomez has been at his most effective and I think Konate will too, alongside Van Dijk.

I don’t know whether it’s because Matip is the CB most likely to push forward with the ball at his feet and get out of position, whereas Van Dijk & Konate are more likely to hit one of the diagonal long passes forward and Gomez just holds his position more and plays simple short passes.

Gomez is also the only CB flexible enough to drop into any position across the back four - granted his RB showings have been disappointing.

Anyway - they all have a part to play and I always fall back to the fact that anyone is expendable and worth selling IF it means they’re getting replaced by someone that’s going to offer more or who is a better option.

Gomez strikes me as the sort of lad that isn’t going to spit the dummy entirely about not starting every game, but will train hard to get an opportunity - a good pro.

Gomez is not flexible enough to drop in anywhere in our back four. He sucks at RB.

Would Coady count as homegrown if we bought him? Could be a decent 3rd-4th choice CB.
Yes.

Currently, to be classified as homegrown one must be on an English team for at least three years before the age of twenty-one
-wiki

Yes.

Currently, to be classified as homegrown one must be on an English team for at least three years before the age of twenty-one
-wiki

And I guess he would fulfill the “club trained” quota too, since he actually came through our Academy. If we could replace Gomez with Coady and bag an extra £20-25M in the process, that would be a smart piece of business, I think. Gomez is a good player, but he’s not someone who will anchor the team, he’s not someone who will be our new Van Dijk in 5 years. And the 2 long-term injuries are definitely a concern.

Coady is a CB in a Carragher mould, someone who will throw his body into blocks and tackles, but his long-distance passing is really good and he can cover at DM too. One slight concern over him is whether he’ll be as good in a 2 as he is in a 3, but other than that, I think he’s a good player and his character would be an asset.

Last edited:
And I guess he would fulfill the “club trained” quota too, since he actually came through our Academy. If we could replace Gomez with Coady and bag an extra £20-25M in the process, that would be a smart piece of business, I think. Gomez is a good player, but he’s not someone who will anchor the team, he’s not someone who will be our new Van Dijk in 5 years. And the 2 long-term injuries are definitely a concern.
Problem is, Coady is slow as fuck.
You know what would be "good business"?
Keeping the homegrown defender who we already have, who is quicker, younger and arguably better than Coady.
Philips.

Last edited:
Coady has found his level I think. I know it would be a nice story for him to come home and all that, but Gomez is far better.

I'd have to assume this will be Milners last year in the squad, if he and Ox move on as expected then we would need to recruit 2 homegrown players to balance the squad numbers. From that perspective getting rid of Gomez makes very little sense unless there is a ready made option waiting to take his place but I don't think Nat Phillips or Rhys Williams are anywhere close to the level of Gomez.

I'd say Matip is most likely of the current 4 CBs to move on based on his age and the profile of the squad.

Problem is, Coady is slow as fuck.
You know what would be "good business"?
Keeping the homegrown defender who we already have that, who is quicker, younger and arguably better than Coady.
Philips.
He's not club trained though.

Coady has found his level I think. I know it would be a nice story for him to come home and all that, but Gomez is far better.

Gomez’s pace when at his best is a huge asset for sure, but I wouldn’t be so sure about him fully returning to that level after the 2nd serious injury and in truth he doesn’t have top-notch football brain, skill or leadership to fall back on if or when pace fails him. As for Coady, I think someone like him would actually look better than many expect when coached by Klopp, the likes of Subotic, Lovren and recently Phillips weren’t speedsters either. What I like about Coady is that he’s a proper leader and has that extra useful weapon in his long passing. As a 3rd or 4th CB who also fulfills the club trained quota, you can hardly do better.

Last edited:
You guys saying hey rid of Gomez like your playing championship manager. Especially after last season I wouldn't be getting rid of any defenders so quickly. Maybe Gomez is happy to bide his time, I don't see the rush...

You guys saying hey rid of Gomez like your playing championship manager. Especially after last season I wouldn't be getting rid of any defenders so quickly. Maybe Gomez is happy to bide his time, I don't see the rush...
Its the same people who were saying "get rid of Matip, he's made of crisps" 6 months ago

In fairness, I don’t see many people saying we should actively look to sell him. It’s only if we are in a position where we need to sell to buy. He would be a good candidate for that as he is a good player who may raise a decent fee and one we don’t seem to need at the moment.

Question who would you prefer to have in your squad, Nat or Gomez? Nat might not have the speed or the ability to carry the ball as well as Gomez, however, IMHO he is much better reader of the game, and he is made of fucking made of steel. Nat wins it for me

I'd have to assume this will be Milners last year in the squad, if he and Ox move on as expected then we would need to recruit 2 homegrown players to balance the squad numbers. From that perspective getting rid of Gomez makes very little sense unless there is a ready made option waiting to take his place but I don't think Nat Phillips or Rhys Williams are anywhere close to the level of Gomez.

I'd say Matip is most likely of the current 4 CBs to move on based on his age and the profile of the squad.

Have seen a lot more links to Kalvin Phillips popping up lately, which would make a lot of sense if this were to happen. I can't see why we'd look to shift Matip given his form over the last 18 months, good CBs are hard to find.

Have seen a lot more links to Kalvin Phillips popping up lately, which would make a lot of sense if this were to happen. I can't see why we'd look to shift Matip given his form over the last 18 months, good CBs are hard to find.

I’d be more than happy for us to bring
In the two senior players we’re short rather than selling anymore players at this point.

We sell a few more and all of a sudden we’re looking at needing 4 or 5 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom