• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jordan Henderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets not have a discussion about Modo, his form clearly dictates Henderson's.

Modo is misunderstood.
He reads a lot about the world, and is a cool Swede with Ethiopian roots.
I hope to buy him a beer, if he's allowed, if he ever visits our land if he's allowed.
Until then, he's been pretty fair about Lallana and Hendo this year - he's been praising Henderson like crazy recently because he's been great. He also was extremely frustrated with Henderson's form as a DM because Henderson didn't play it well - Fabinho highlighted that, and since his injury, Henderson has highlighted how fucking well he can play that position too.
Difference of opinions are important - they keep our site what it is today, and they've been done in the last few months with respect most of the time.

So in a side that hasn't lost in a year, that's won the CL, Super Cup and WCC, he was shite up until last month? Jordan Henderson who's played just about as many games as anyone in the side, Jordan Henderson who's forever going to be out the side once that Keita/Ox/Shaqiri/Fabinho/whoeverthefuckelse is in the team?

Yes

The turning point of Hendo’s season last year that he has carried largely into this year was away at Southampton... that was in April

Bollocks.

It hasn't taken him 7 years to reach this level at all. When we lost the league under Rodgers, we arguably lost it when he got sent off against City, he was that crucial to the way we were playing. The games we played after that went tits up in his absence.

Some gobshites love re-writing history on here. Oh he's been shit until a month ago. Fuck off.

Glad someone else agrees on his absence probably costing us the league after his red.

Like any other player, Hendo will go through ups and downs, but he’s always been a decent player at worst, and a fantastic player when on form. Looks like he’s really maturing now. As Klopp said, his learning from Fabs has made a difference.
It’s great to know that he still has the desire and humility to improve and learn

Since losing Fabinho in November we've won 10 out of 11, the only loss being the Carabao Cup game, which I'm sure is probably Henderson's fault.

I knew he wouldn't get it. Like I would've bet my life on it.

Oh course I got it. It’s as old as himself and not funny. Like the old binary joke that there are 10 types of people who understand binary. Those that do and those that don’t. Yawn.

What next a chicken crossing the road joke.

I can't believe you even picked holes in his goal record. When you get your head out of FIFA lala land, have a look at stats for great central midfielders down the years, including the likes of Alonso.

Alonso had a shite goal return too. Didn’t mean he wasn’t a great player.

The fact we’ll be fucked if Henderson picks up an injury now speaks volumes. He’s playing better than ever.

So it didn't mean Alonso was shite, but you've used Henderson's goals record as confirmation that he is shite?

Ok.

So it didn't mean Alonso was shite, but you've used Henderson's goals record as confirmation that he is shite?

Ok.

I never said he was shite. I said his goal return for a midfielder was. I think Henderson is well worth his position and is playing superbly.

I did acknowledge he has had awful bad runs of form here too and just because some have nailed him in the past it doesn’t mean they can’t praise him now.

The shite comment was tongue in cheek in any case. He’s invaluable at the moment

There is simply a lot of revisionism in here - there have been many times throughout his time here where he has been one of our greatest assets (including 13/14, a lot of this season and the end of last season) but also periods where he was playing too limited a game and many didn't feel he was able to help drive the pace of play that Klopp wants. At present he is on fire, and it is great to see as he lifts those around him.

It is probably fair to say that some of the criticism he got was monotonous and he was scapegoated at times, but we should rejoice in his current form and the impact he is having on the team rather than spend our weekends arguing about why people who slated him aren't allowed to praise him now.

Ok.
To be fair, he is pretty useless playing as attacking midfielder. His numbers backed him to play as defensive or holding midfielder, where he anticipates opponent's move and nullify it. So if we play a 4-3-3 with Henderson playing as the anchor of the midfield 3, he would do better. But if you expects him to play as the more attacking midfielder then we will be a bit stale going forward. We heavily relied on Alexander-Arnold and Robertson to create our chances, or hoping for the front three to click and create for each other. We need better option and Henderson and Wijnaldum are certainly not the answer. These guys are ball winning players, assists and goals aren't their game now.

Oh course I got it. It’s as old as himself and not funny. Like the old binary joke that there are 10 types of people who understand binary. Those that do and those that don’t. Yawn.

What next a chicken crossing the road joke.

I don't understand that joke.

It's a play on "two types of people in the world..." which sort of is binary - right or wrong.
So is the person saying it supposed to not understand binary? So why say "10 types of people"? That makes no sense at all.,

Or is it about the collection of 100101010011010s that makes up binary?

I don't understand that joke.

It's a play on "two types of people in the world..." which sort of is binary - right or wrong.
So is the person saying it supposed to not understand binary? So why say "10 types of people"? That makes no sense at all.,

Or is it about the collection of 100101010011010s that makes up binary?
2 in binary is 10.

However Dreamy has written the joke incorrectly. It should be "there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont".

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...dan-henderson-liverpool-jurgen-klopp-17505477
Jurgen Klopp sends message to any remaining critics of Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson
Liverpool boss hails another captain's performance from Jordan Henderson after his side beat Sheffield United 2-0

“If anybody who is with us still doesn’t see the quality of Jordan Henderson, then I cannot help them."

Edited to add @Spionkop69 almost word for word your last post,did you make Klopp say this?
He didn't take my advice on the "cunt" part, but I'll let him off

[article]Flamengo manager Jorge Jesus has lauded Jordan Henderson by describing the Liverpool captain as the best midfielder in the world.

Jesus saw Henderson up close when Liverpool defeated Jesus' Flamengo side 1-0 in the Club World Cup final.

The Reds needed extra time to be crowned world champions with Roberto Firmino scoring the winning goal in the 99th minute during the December fixture.

Despite Firmino's goalscoring exploits, it was Henderson who stole the attention of Jesus, which has led to the Flamengo manager's praise.

Jesus told CMTV: 'Henderson is the best midfielder in the world in his position.

'[Jurgen Klopp] never drops him, but the two offensive midfielders, [Naby] Keita and [Georginio] Wijnaldum, sometimes are replaced.

'The other players are always the same.'

Henderson looks set to become the first Liverpool captain to lift the Premier League title this season as Jurgen Klopp's side are 13 points clear of second-placed Leicester with a game in hand.

The 29-year-old is also a key member of Gareth Southgate's England side and is likely to start for the Three Lions next summer during the European Championship.

Henderson's Liverpool face a tricky trip to face Jose Mourinho's Tottenham on Saturday and then host rivals Manchester United next Sunday as they continue their quest to win their first Premier League title. [/article]

Jordan Henderson has finally earned his place as a Liverpool great

Not that long ago Jordan Henderson was distinctly unpopular with Liverpool fans, the feeling being he wasn’t fit to lace the boots of Steven Gerrard. But Henderson has grown into his role as leader, and in a star-studded team he’s the glue which keeps everything together. Now, he’s finally getting some long-awaited recognition for it.

The 2011 summer transfer window was not a vintage one for Liverpool Football Club.
In fact, for a long time, it probably represented one of the worst periods of player trading in the Merseysiders’ illustrious history; a damning indictment of where the Reds were following the near-ruinous reign of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

That summer, Kenny Dalglish brought Charlie Adam, Doni, Stewart Downing, Jose Enrique, Sebastian Coates, Craig Bellamy and Jordan Henderson to Anfield. While Bellamy was already popular and proved successful in his second stint, the rest were deemed not up to scratch and slowly dispersed.

Not Henderson though. The former Sunderland midfielder, signed for $30.3million, stuck around and has done until this day. He’s now the club’s captain, a Champions League winner and, in a star-studded team, one of the most important players at Jurgen Klopp’s disposal.

But how did the quiet lad with the ‘odd gait’ from the North East become a modern-day Liverpool great? Our friends at Football Whispers chart Henderson’s rise.

It could all have been so different for Henderson. After a single unremarkable season at Anfield, incoming manager Brendan Rodgers told him he could leave to join Fulham as part of a prospective deal which would see Clint Dempsey move in the opposite direction.

Henderson dug his heels in and remained at Liverpool, determined to prove his new boss wrong. It was a smart decision. By the end of the 2012/13 campaign, he’d changed Rodgers’ perception of him enough to make 44 appearances in all competitions with a series of whole-hearted and energetic displays.

He had not, though, entirely won over the Anfield crowd. Still only 23, Henderson was very much in the shadow of all-action skipper and Liverpool icon Steven Gerrard. While Stevie G’s legs might have been going, Henderson did not possess the dynamism, panache or game-changing instinct of the club’s favourite son.

Being associated with Dalglish’s forgettable second spell as manager and an ignominious period in the club’s history did not help Henderson’s standing either. Succeeding Gerrard as captain only piled more pressure on the midfielder.

In fact, it was only last season that the England regular could finally claim to have won over the fanbase.

The signing of Fabinho from Monaco will be looked upon as a pivotal moment in Liverpool’s transformation from also-rans to serial silverware winners. The Brazilian is the lynchpin of their midfield, the safety valve who enables Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson to bomb forward at will and join in the attack.

But it’s not just Liverpool’s flying full-backs who have been unshackled by the midfielder with telescopic legs. Henderson has also benefited from the added layer of security Fabinho provides and has put in his best run of performances since the 2013/14 season, when he bagged five goals from 40 appearances.

A flying winger in his youth at Sunderland, Henderson in 2020 would be characterised more as a No.6 than a No.8 when it comes to assigning midfield roles. But there’s more attacking nous to his game than he’s ever got credit for at Liverpool and having Fabinho behind him has enabled him to show it.

Able to play the box-to-box role which was tailor-made for someone of his stamina and work-rate, Henderson can influence matters further forward, showcasing an attacking instinct which has been stifled in recent years.

The results have been clear to see. Henderson went from having 0.79 touches per 90 in the opposition box in 2017/18 to 1.5 in 2018/19, saw his attempted dribbles climb slightly from 0.62 to 0.63 and took 0.73 shots versus 0.62 the year prior.

And Klopp acknowledged that the tweak in role – something Henderson instigated – has had an impressive impact on his displays. “He obviously likes the attacking position,” Klopp said last year.

“So it was my fault that for one-and-a-half years he was in a No.6 position. Sorry for that! But we needed him there!”

Therein lies the issue. Henderson is unfussy, unselfish and low maintenance. All qualities which make him perfect captain material and an invaluable member of Klopp’s squad.

Henderson would be the first to admit he isn’t the most talented player at the club. But his value is in getting the best out of those around him and, before the signing of Fabinho in the summer of 2018, that meant sacrificing himself for his team-mates by playing a deeper role that he was less comfortable in.

It meant seeing more of the ball and having more touches. But that showed up Henderson’s shortcomings. He was often too passive when screening the back four and Fabinho’s arrival exacerbated that. Now, playing as a box-to-box midfielder, Henderson is more decisive in his new role, capitalising on chaos and linking with Alexander-Arnold down the right-hand side.

Everything came together on one of the biggest nights of last season. Barcelona arrived at Anfield leading 3-0 from the first leg of their Champions League semi-final in Catalonia. Their progress to the final was a formality. Or so everyone thought. After a thrilling 4-0 win for the Reds, the headlines went to Divock Origi, Gini Wijnaldum and Alexander-Arnold. But Henderson delivered a timely captain’s performance.

Speaking to The Players’ Tribune ahead of the 2019 final in Madrid, Robertson heaped praise on his captain and underlined precisely why Henderson has been an Anfield mainstay for almost a decade now.

“Jordan Henderson must have lost count of the times he has had his ability questioned – although never by anyone who has been fortunate enough to work with him,” the Scot said.

“And here he is on the brink of captaining Liverpool in a second successive Champions League final.”

Victory over Tottenham Hotspur at the Wanda Metropolitano transformed this incarnation of Liverpool from nearly men to legends. And it had the same effect on Henderson who could now call himself a Champions League-winning captain, putting him on a par with so many greats but, perhaps most significantly, Gerrard.

Henderson has taken that form into the 2019/20 campaign. He has averaged 98 passes per 90 since Fabinho was struck down with ankle ligament damage against Napoli in November, a dramatic increase on the 55 he had been managing prior. He’s also completing 90 per cent of those passes, while his final-third entries have tripled.

Man-of-the-match in the Reds’ win over Sheffield United during the festive period, we’ll leave the final words to his typically ebullient and effusive boss.

“Gini (Wijnaldum) and Hendo, especially, because they have had to play the biggest number of games this season – what they do is just incredible – absolutely incredible,” Klopp said following his side’s 2-0 win at Bramall Lane.

“I do not take that for granted for one second. If anybody who is with us still doesn’t see the quality of Jordan Henderson, then I cannot help them.”

https://sport.optus.com.au/articles...finally-earned-his-place-as-a-liverpool-great

Henderson's current and lengthy run of form is currently with him playing a more defensive role again, with Fabinho out injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom