• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Keita

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's obviously got the talent. But it's the injuries and (apparent) attitude that are the problem.

Hopefully, he'll stop getting crocked. And who better than JK to sort out the confidence/timidity thing ?

As others have said, it's great that we are doing so well, we can afford to give him time.

He’s clearly got talent and suits our style, and Klopp clearly rates him highly. But, he doesn’t seem to be able to stay fit for long enough to get a solid run in the team.
He’s had plenty of games when he’s played very well, others, clearly not as well.
Difficult one to call on his future.

He is so frustrating, when he gets to the point of looking like a good player who will challenge for a place in the 3, he then gets injured and it resets the process, this has happened a few times now.

I'd give him another year, but if he has not cemented a place by then, look to shift him. He looked brilliant in Germany, and the PL is not that far from it stylistically.

The concern is that he needs consistent game time to get up to speed, but will he ever be able to get that with us? Games he is coming back to look tailor made for him to shine and he has not really done that minus a few performances. Leicester, Bournemouth, Salzburg, and Norwich are the only games that spring to mind.

I'll stick up for him. Yes, he's been shit, but I don't feel he's been given a run of games even when he's been fit. Bobby, Wijnaldum, Hendo etc have all been given huge runs of games even when out of form for long periods. I think there's a good player in there, but, the odd game here and there, and then loads of injuries have not helped him nail down a place.
He did have a period towards the end of last year where he was very good for a few games, and then surprise surprise he got injured.

I am a Keita supporter but I agree he has had some bad games, he's definitely become 'the new Henderson' of the team..I don't think be has an attitude problem as others have mentioned, I think it's more about his confidence which when it does disappear it is really visible also affecting his judgment which means he starts to hide and/or gives away possession. It is frustrating to see but I also remember him being one of the contenders for man of the match a few times, he definitely has his moments.

Some saying sell him, sure we could do that but I remember lots saying get rid of Gini two years after he had been at the club... before Gini shed his snake skin from "Gini the ghost" to "Gini the General". We have seen too many redemption arcs under Klopp (Henderson POTY 2020) to give up on Keita just yet, if Klopp can get Hendo in contention for POTY then I believe Klopp can get Keita the balon dor lol! PS: he going to scores the winner against Atletico now isn't he?

Hard to judge.
He hasn't had a sustained run in the team due to injuries.
The frustrating part is that there is massive potential there, he starts to show it, but then he gets a niggle and is out for weeks again.

Has he ever been man of the match? We paid fifty odd million, thought he could do everything, waited a full year, and the best he's been is mildly effective whereas the worst he's been is 'i really didn't know he was playing', and the latter has happened quite a lot.

Klopp said he didn't speak the lingo and he's shy, but that was a long time ago now. I know he's had injury problems but that doesn't exactly inspire confidence either. If we can get a decent sum for him I'm sure we can replace him with better. I could probs name better midfielders from every side in this league.*

*I can't be arsed but I could if I wanted to, honest

I think one game earlier this year? he scored and set up another.
also in one CL game away he was mom.

makes it all the more frustrating when he then acts like a shyboy

He was bought with a view to him adapting to our midfield. He hasn't. He's got bags of technical ability but they express themselves in a team that has space and counters from deeper. Instead we are a team that makes the field really really short in most games, and tries to move the opposition with big movements and bursts of more intricate play. We usually have most of the ball and little space.

He's been told to play in a much deeper more disciplined role, and he's put in some unremarkable performances just circulating the ball around and holding onto it. Great... Now could you add back the part where you have some aggression and attacking ability? The answer so far from him is mostly... No.

And, hes not caught on quickly enough nor is he suited enough to make it look like it's worth the effort having him get a run of games. Add in the fact that he can't sustain a run of games, and you've got an expensive bit part player. He was an illsuited purchase but he's not shit, I just don't think he will ever be good enough for our needs. I think this is also what buying a player on characteristics rather than position looks like.

Last edited:
Imo this was Keitas year to become one of the trusted men in the midfield but he's slipping into occasional use Lallana land. He's probably the best dribbler / ball carrier in the squad but he gets frequently injured and often looks mentally slow and ineffective for a long period after injury.

What do we do? All the guys that are supposed to come into center mid with attacking ability are injury liabilities thus far. Is this where Minamino will end up? Are we actually looking at Havertz? Given his age, profile in Germany and that he doesn't look particularly happy / settled, he may be a goner if someone else comes in.

His ghosting is particularly visible because we don't have the strongest midfield. Don't misunderstand me - it's decent when Fabinho, Gini, and Henderson all show up, but when discussing it in context of the larger team structure, we certainly have the most room for improvement there. It's certainly at a level below that of City. Keita was bought to address this specific issue, and he's done little to suggest that he will transform the midfield into some fearful, world-class unit. Based on his development thus far, and his injury record, I think it's time to consider a player like Havertz who can be transformative, durable, and offer a long-term solution.

It will be difficult to sell him for anything like the fee we paid though, so I think that unfortunately we will end up keeping him as a squad player until the expiration of his contract.

I reckon that once we tie up the league he'll get a string of starts to prove his worth. Injuries permitting.

His ghosting is particularly visible because we don't have the strongest midfield. Don't misunderstand me - it's decent when Fabinho, Gini, and Henderson all show up, but when discussing it in context of the larger team structure, we certainly have the most room for improvement there. It's certainly at a level below that of City. Keita was bought to address this specific issue, and he's done little to suggest that he will transform the midfield into some fearful, world-class unit. Based on his development thus far, and his injury record, I think it's time to consider a player like Havertz who can be transformative, durable, and offer a long-term solution.

It will be difficult to sell him for anything like the fee we paid though, so I think that unfortunately we will end up keeping him as a squad player until the expiration of his contract.

You say it is at a level below City Sanchez, and in terms of skill and technique, it is impossible to argue. But our midfield has arguably improved through losing its most creative and skilful player in Coutinho. I always worry when these silky midfielders are mentioned as improving us when I wonder whether they will have the ability to sweat blood for the team, and the discipline to curb the very instincts that made them the chief fancy-dan at their old club.

You say it is at a level below City Sanchez, and in terms of skill and technique, it is impossible to argue. But our midfield has arguably improved through losing its most creative and skilful player in Coutinho. I always worry when these silky midfielders are mentioned as improving us when I wonder whether they will have the ability to sweat blood for the team, and the discipline to curb the very instincts that made them the chief fancy-dan at their old club.
We are currently over relying on our fullbacks to make things happen for our strikers. That isn't good because one of our two fullbacks are unique, Trent. When he is off his game, or being pinned back, we suffer in goal creation. Atletico Madrid game came to mind. So Keita is needed to do the creative work, or any of our midfielders. Henderson is a workhorse, and so is Wijnaldum. But Keita's inability to stay fit enough to perform at the top level stopped Klopp from trusting him to take on teams like Atletico Madrid. So we need those "silky midfielders", and I trust the ones we get would run through brick wall for us, why? Because if not, I don't think Klopp would have brought him into the team. Every single one of our players willing to die for the team today, even when Coutinho was part of us.

Keita's Liverpool Career Cycle.

Plays 5 games - is shit
Plays another 5 games - is finding his feet, shows promise
Plays another 5 games- is amazing
Gets injured - out for 3-4 weeks

Comes back.. cycle starts again.

I think a lot of the retained optimism about Keita is based around the perceived wisdom that Jurgen Klopp is entirely incapable of making a mistake, and everything that happens is by design and will eventually succeed.

I think a lot of the retained optimism about Keita is based around the perceived wisdom that Jurgen Klopp is entirely incapable of making a mistake, and everything that happens is by design and will eventually succeed.

There is an obnoxious sense of optimism about everything isn't there. These must be trying times.

And fucking 1 game chatter like we haven't owned him for 2 years nearly

He's as injury prone as lallana, and arguably less effective

Yet we've got Lallana haters lapping up that perma injured Keita bossed the Premiership a bit in December. Lallana haters who hated that we spent so much on him, for him to underwhelm and not be available nearly enough, praising a player we spent loads on, to underwhelm and not be available nearly enough.

The hypocrisy, given the parallels, is astounding.

Yet we've got Lallana haters lapping up that perma injured Keita bossed the Premiership a bit in December. Lallana haters who hated that we spent so much on him, for him to underwhelm and not be available nearly enough, praising a player we spent loads on, to underwhelm and not be available nearly enough.

The hypocrisy, given the parallels, is astounding.

Here's another parallel, White Lallana and Black Lallana have scored the same amount of goals this season.

One.

Henderson has got three and about three times more minutes, and everyone is going on about him. It's not a fair metric in this position

While we're using the Henderson comparison:

Keita has 1 goal and 1 assist in the EPL
Hendo has 3 goals and 5 assists in the EPL

He operated as the holding midfielder a fair bit too.

Hendo has made exactly twice as many EPL appearances (30 to Keita's 15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom