• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Keita

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth about Naby Keita, his divisive Liverpool performances, and what Jürgen Klopp wants
The Guinean midfielder divides opinion like no other current Liverpool player.

• BY SAM MCGUIRE
  • 04:00, 27 FEB 2020UPDATED21:15, 26 FEB 2020
1_GettyImages-1196172690.jpg

Naby Keita's displays always bring very different points of view from supporters.(Image: Photo by Visionhaus)
There are no rules to say Liverpool need at least one divisive midfielder in their starting XI, it’s just by chance that this seems to be the case. At first, it was Lucas Leiva, then Emre Can; Jordan Henderson, Gini Wijnaldum and Fabinho have all had their turn too.

Now it is Naby Keita.

With Henderson ruled out against West Ham on Monday night, Jürgen Klopp made the decision to start the former RB Leipzig man alongside Wijnaldum and Fabinho. It was a big call. The Liverpool No.8 had only made one other start since the turn of the year, and the hope was he’d grasp this opportunity with both hands after an injury-hit campaign and offer the spark in the middle third.

After 57 minutes, with the Reds 2-1 down, Keita was replaced by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The latter added drive and purpose in the middle third and though he wasn’t directly responsible for the equaliser or the winner, his introduction significantly increased the tempo.

Following the win, talk inevitably turned to the dynamic Guinean, the wasted chance at the heart of the midfield and how he flattered to deceive yet again.

But the numbers on the night told a different story.

For starters, only Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andrew Robertson (both with six) played more key passes than Keita (two). He attempted 39 passes, of which only a quarter of them arrived in his own half, and completed 90 per cent of them. The 25-year-old completed one of his three dribbles, and won five of the seven tackles he attempted.

For context, no Liverpool player managed to win the ball more often than Keita did and only Jeremy Ngakia, the West Ham right-back, won more tackles than the former Red Bull Salzburg maestro.

Why Jürgen Klopp should steal Bayern Münich strategy he hated to strengthen Liverpool's dominance

Forget Cafu and Alves comparisons, because Liverpool’s relentless goal maker is like nothing you’ve seen before

As far as box-to-box midfield performances go, Keita ticked all of the boxes. He thwarted the opposition on multiple occasions, he was frugal yet brave when in possession, and he was a creative outlet, setting up two shots. While it may not have been a performance to add to a highlight reel, it was a quintessential Keita outing. The sort Jamie Carragher mentioned prior to kick-off on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football.

The Anfield legend shared his thoughts on the midfielders.“This is the man who I’m still waiting to really explode and show Liverpool supporters what he is about," he said. "He’s a funny player you can watch a game and the perfect example was away against Norwich and I didn’t think he played particularly well, he didn’t have a terrible game, he was just ok.

“Then you get all the stats come through about how many times he regained the ball, how many passes he made to people in the box, all these different stats that when you look at you think you’ve got a top player there. He’s always top of those stats but when I watch a game, I don’t feel like I see that with my eyes.”

And this is the Keita conundrum. He’s very much an output merchant and it’s easy to see why Ian Graham, the head of research for the club, was so eager to add him to the Liverpool squad.

In a New York Times feature , the thought process behind signing the fleet-footed midfielder was revealed. What scouts saw when they watched Keita was a versatile midfielder. What Graham saw on his laptop was a phenomenon. Here was someone continually working to move the ball into more advantageous positions, something even an attentive spectator probably wouldn’t notice unless told to look for it.

1x1.png

While the Reds have much more detailed data at their disposal, the fact Keita often looks so languid on first viewing yet regularly manages to post impressive numbers backs up what the Liverpool recruitment team originally saw in him. Aesthetically, he isn’t anything special. Statistically, however, he is remarkable.

Statsbomb posted a tweet in January showing his performance radar and it painted Keita as one of the most well-rounded midfielders in the world, albeit with a small sample size. Similarly, Dan Kennett of Anfield Indexcompared Keita’s underlying numbers over the past two seasons to Kevin De Bruyne’s. Despite the narratives, their per 90 averages are near enough identical.

Statsbomb posted a tweet in January showing his performance radar and it painted Keita as one of the most well-rounded midfielders in the world, albeit with a small sample size.

Similarly, Dan Kennett of Anfield Index compared Keita’s underlying numbers over the past two seasons to Kevin De Bruyne’s. Despite the narratives, their per 90 averages are near enough identical

OH JUST FUCK OFF

The truth about Naby Keita, his divisive Liverpool performances, and what Jürgen Klopp wants
The Guinean midfielder divides opinion like no other current Liverpool player.

• BY SAM MCGUIRE
  • 04:00, 27 FEB 2020UPDATED21:15, 26 FEB 2020
1_GettyImages-1196172690.jpg

Naby Keita's displays always bring very different points of view from supporters.(Image: Photo by Visionhaus)
There are no rules to say Liverpool need at least one divisive midfielder in their starting XI, it’s just by chance that this seems to be the case. At first, it was Lucas Leiva, then Emre Can; Jordan Henderson, Gini Wijnaldum and Fabinho have all had their turn too.

Now it is Naby Keita.

With Henderson ruled out against West Ham on Monday night, Jürgen Klopp made the decision to start the former RB Leipzig man alongside Wijnaldum and Fabinho. It was a big call. The Liverpool No.8 had only made one other start since the turn of the year, and the hope was he’d grasp this opportunity with both hands after an injury-hit campaign and offer the spark in the middle third.

After 57 minutes, with the Reds 2-1 down, Keita was replaced by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The latter added drive and purpose in the middle third and though he wasn’t directly responsible for the equaliser or the winner, his introduction significantly increased the tempo.

Following the win, talk inevitably turned to the dynamic Guinean, the wasted chance at the heart of the midfield and how he flattered to deceive yet again.

But the numbers on the night told a different story.

For starters, only Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andrew Robertson (both with six) played more key passes than Keita (two). He attempted 39 passes, of which only a quarter of them arrived in his own half, and completed 90 per cent of them. The 25-year-old completed one of his three dribbles, and won five of the seven tackles he attempted.

For context, no Liverpool player managed to win the ball more often than Keita did and only Jeremy Ngakia, the West Ham right-back, won more tackles than the former Red Bull Salzburg maestro.

Why Jürgen Klopp should steal Bayern Münich strategy he hated to strengthen Liverpool's dominance

Forget Cafu and Alves comparisons, because Liverpool’s relentless goal maker is like nothing you’ve seen before

As far as box-to-box midfield performances go, Keita ticked all of the boxes. He thwarted the opposition on multiple occasions, he was frugal yet brave when in possession, and he was a creative outlet, setting up two shots. While it may not have been a performance to add to a highlight reel, it was a quintessential Keita outing. The sort Jamie Carragher mentioned prior to kick-off on Sky Sports' Monday Night Football.

The Anfield legend shared his thoughts on the midfielders.“This is the man who I’m still waiting to really explode and show Liverpool supporters what he is about," he said. "He’s a funny player you can watch a game and the perfect example was away against Norwich and I didn’t think he played particularly well, he didn’t have a terrible game, he was just ok.

“Then you get all the stats come through about how many times he regained the ball, how many passes he made to people in the box, all these different stats that when you look at you think you’ve got a top player there. He’s always top of those stats but when I watch a game, I don’t feel like I see that with my eyes.”

And this is the Keita conundrum. He’s very much an output merchant and it’s easy to see why Ian Graham, the head of research for the club, was so eager to add him to the Liverpool squad.

In a New York Times feature , the thought process behind signing the fleet-footed midfielder was revealed. What scouts saw when they watched Keita was a versatile midfielder. What Graham saw on his laptop was a phenomenon. Here was someone continually working to move the ball into more advantageous positions, something even an attentive spectator probably wouldn’t notice unless told to look for it.

1x1.png

While the Reds have much more detailed data at their disposal, the fact Keita often looks so languid on first viewing yet regularly manages to post impressive numbers backs up what the Liverpool recruitment team originally saw in him. Aesthetically, he isn’t anything special. Statistically, however, he is remarkable.

Statsbomb posted a tweet in January showing his performance radar and it painted Keita as one of the most well-rounded midfielders in the world, albeit with a small sample size. Similarly, Dan Kennett of Anfield Indexcompared Keita’s underlying numbers over the past two seasons to Kevin De Bruyne’s. Despite the narratives, their per 90 averages are near enough identical.

Doesn't Klopp had access to this amazing data live? He'd never have subbed him off against West Ham if he knew he was as good as De Bruyne, and one of the best midfielders in the world!

Doesn't Klopp had access to this amazing data live? He'd never have subbed him off against West Ham if he knew he was as good as De Bruyne, and one of the best midfielders in the world!

I didnt write the article. ;)

But I find it interesting that his stats are so good, and that one more reason to give him one more season.

Klopp never claimed that Keita was the finished article. His plaudits for Keita were along the lines of "He can be whatever he wants to be", in other words he wasn't there yet. The stats fail to take into account, even tho' Klopp didn't, the fact that making it big in the Prem is a higher hurdle to jump than doing it in the Bundesliga.

What the stats (and in fairness some of Keita's performances for us) do show is that at his best the guy is a real midfield all-rounder, of exactly the type that Klopp prefers, and that he's absolutely worth persevering with. He does need to make a bigger splash next season though.

Klopp never claimed that Keita was the finished article. His plaudits for Keita were along the lines of "He can be whatever he wants to be", in other words he wasn't there yet. The stats fail to take into account, even tho' Klopp didn't, the fact that making it big in the Prem is a higher hurdle to jump than doing it in the Bundesliga.

What the stats (and in fairness some of Keita's performances for us) do show is that at his best the guy is a real midfield all-rounder, of exactly the type that Klopp prefers, and that he's absolutely worth persevering with. He does need to make a bigger splash next season though.

Agreed, thats pretty much my take on it as well.

He's worse than wijnaldum, Henderson and fabinho. Arguably make less of an impact than ox (who is very hit and miss in performances) and lallana.

We paid 50m for him, at a time when 50m wasn't a paltry amount.

Stats ultimately mean fuck all, and stats always seem to be the defence of a player who is visibly playing shite.

I fully expect a central midfielder to be bought this summer to replace him

He's worse than wijnaldum, Henderson and fabinho. Arguably make less of an impact than ox (who is very hit and miss in performances) and lallana.

Stats ultimately mean fuck all, and stats always seem to be the defence of a player who is visibly playing shite.

I am not sure I agree there. We seem to lean a lot on stats in both our recruitment and analyzing of games, and we haven't done to shabby over a lengthy period now. So something useful must have been read in stats as we seem to have stuck with the "least creative" midfield in Europe and we still are current holders of the CL, on our way to delete all records for a single season in PL and not to mention we are the club world champions.

Do stats not make people question their own ability to judge a performance though?

He was roundly considered to be poor the other night, but that article would indicate that he was nowhere near as bad as people would suggest showing evidence why, and he was replaced by Ox to add some more direct attacking. Whether his job on the pitch was to attack, or not, surely that would be for Klopp to answer.

Do stats not make people question their own ability to judge a performance though?

He was roundly considered to be poor the other night, but that article would indicate that he was nowhere near as bad as people would suggest showing evidence why, and he was replaced by Ox to add some more direct attacking. Whether his job on the pitch was to attack, or not, surely that would be for Klopp to answer.

Klopp and Linders were screaming at him in the second half to get fucking moving, and urging him forward as he skulked about doing fuck all, and then hooked him, before admitting in an interview that Keita could have played better.

But yeah, he was boss! Look at those stats! As good as De Bruyne!

There is not a chance in hell Klopp will replace him this Summer. Despite your or Brendan's wishes.

And discounting stats as meaning fuck all ? Seriously WTF, this whole team was bought around their stats, which is why we paid what we did and they are now producing what they produce.

This is exactly how I see it. Ox was brought on to up the tempo and offer a more direct threat, he is a totally different player to Keita and it's likely Klopp chooses one over the other depending on what tactics he wants to employ.

These comments seem to epitomise some 6CM posters. Not that I think Keita has been what we were expecting / want but clearly there is a lot to work with and there are other players in this team that 6CM posters were vitriolic and profuse in their disdain before they went on to establish themselves proving their worth.

--------

What scouts saw when they watched Keita was a versatile midfielder. What Graham saw on his laptop was a phenomenon. Here was someone continually working to move the ball into more advantageous positions, something even an attentive spectator probably wouldn’t notice unless told to look for it.

This is exactly how I see it. Ox was brought on to up the tempo and offer a more direct threat, he is a totally different player to Keita and it's likely Klopp chooses one over the other depending on what tactics he wants to employ.

Right, so when he wants tippy-tappy invisible shithouse football, Naby is his first pick, but if he wants a player to run at teams quickly, take shots, score and win games, he looks elsewhere?

I'd probably switch it around in the next game and play Chamberlain from the start, and we can bring on Black Lallana when we've got the game won, and need his skill-set

Maybe we need a sack Klopp thread to criticise him for subbing off the underrated stats monster Naby Keita.

Maybe we need a sack Klopp thread to criticise him for subbing off the underrated stats monster Naby Keita.

Hahahahahahaha

The sheer amount of coping strategies employed by the Naby Fanclub is fucking mesmerising, it's like a Reddit hugbox

Right, so when he wants tippy-tappy invisible shithouse football, Naby is his first pick, but if he wants a player to run at teams quickly, take shots, score and win games, he looks elsewhere?

I'd probably switch it around in the next game and play Chamberlain from the start, and we can bring on Black Lallana when we've got the game won, and need his skill-set
Yeah. You really really need to go look at Ox's stats if you believe that.

Naby was told to play his natural game when he arrived, because he had zero time to learn the system. What we saw was someone who likes to counter and carry the ball in space. His strengths are turning into space, ball retention, dribbling, then releasing the ball. That's of some use in our system, but he had to develop the other parts of his game, or learn how to use those skills in our system.

He then went into the Klopp midfield sausage factory, and was played way, way deeper, and was clearly hyperfocused on more conservative positioning, breaking up play, and simple passes. Since then he plays a lot of really stat padding simple balls, that are often fairly pointless. That is true of many of our midfielders, but its particularly true of him. His talents look wasted.

What Klopp wants is some of Naby's natural game, with the positional discipline and aggression, as appropriate. He doesn't want him to slow play down by not releasing earlier, and he doesn't want him coughing up possession in a team that simply can't tolerate it because they are so high up the pitch. Keita has never integrated those things with his qualities with any consistency. Surely by now he's had enough time to do it.

This midfield setup will make certain players look worse than they are, if they can't adapt, like Keita, and it will make others, like Henderson, who are limited in certain ways, look great. It'll make others fuck off (Can).

Last edited:
I love that the article kissing his arse states that behind taa and robbo with six each, he was third in the whole team at key passes, with two

FUCKING TWO? Well I take it all back then. Two key passes. Didn't realise how important he was to the side. Fucking two. That's double one. Like, he did it once, but not satisfied with that, he did it again. IN THE SAME MATCH. And it actually is six if you count in thirds, don't know how the statto missed that bit out.

I love that the article kissing his arse states that behind taa and robbo with six each, he was third in the whole team at key passes, with two

FUCKING TWO? Well I take it all back then. Two key passes. Didn't realise how important he was to the side. Fucking two. That's double one. Like, he did it once, but not satisfied with that, he did it again. IN THE SAME MATCH. And it actually is six if you count in thirds, don't know how the statto missed that bit out.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

After one key pass, Keita then increased his key pass completion tally by an incredible ONE HUNDRED PER CENT!

Just Naby doing Naby things

#KillMeWithFire

I’ve been saying it for ages that based on

The fee
The hype
The year long wait
His actually contribution

He’s been pound for pound our worst signing ever.

Hopefully moves on in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom