• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopp calling out FSG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, but you get more means to buy if you sell players that have been under-performing for years.

I doubt it's that simple.

There's the uncertainties from the pandemic of the last 2 years, which can disrupt a lot of things, lack of good suitors (and profit), difficulties with agents demands, timing of getting good replacements in, the time and heart invested in player relationships, and then there's the added hope that maybe, just maybe, your investment may spring a surprise and come to fruition. I'm sure there's a lot more complex variables which i've missed out, but you get the drift.

John Henry et al did it their way and brought 4 WS titles to the Red Sox after taking over a sleeping giant.
John Henry et al did it their way and brought the league title/CL etc to Liverpool after taking over a sleeping giant.
They're not going to change how they operate now.

It's Klopp's fault too.
Who told him to hold on to Ox and Keita until their contracts were up?
Same goes with Gini, Can and Moreno. Why sell Mané when he only has a year left?
It's obvious to me that Klopp holds on to players for too long.

Or Firmino.

John Henry et al did it their way and brought 4 WS titles to the Red Sox after taking over a sleeping giant.
John Henry et al did it their way and brought the league title/CL etc to Liverpool after taking over a sleeping giant.
They're not going to change how they operate now.

It's not like spending a bit here and there in emergencies is going to undermine their general approach. Good management and long term thinking enable them to save money, not the other way round.

It's Klopp's fault too.
Who told him to hold on to Ox and Keita until their contracts were up?
Same goes with Gini, Can and Moreno. Why sell Mané when he only has a year left?
It's obvious to me that Klopp holds on to players for too long.
He does hoard players, does our Jurgen. He’s just realised that the main reason we can’t bring in a replacement is we have nine midfielders, available or not. We should really have moved at least two of them at end of last season but, listening to his press conference yesterday, he does it for the “right reason.” He also looks at players as human beings as well as assets.

James Pearce's take on it............

Klopp dispelled the idea that he’s reluctant to spend. “I don’t think I thought in one moment, ‘I have to be careful’, no. We get told what’s possible and what’s not possible, that’s it,” he said.
That wasn’t a criticism of the owners, just an honest assessment from the manager about how the recruitment process at the club works. He doesn’t control the purse strings. Ultimately, financial decisions rest in the hands of FSG president Mike Gordon.
Klopp pointed out that Liverpool won the Premier League title in 2019-20 after “not signing anybody” the previous summer. In fact, they bought Elliott from Fulham, but his point still stands as the youngster only made two league appearances.
However, given the gruelling schedule over the coming months, it requires a leap of faith to believe that’s possible this time around without bolstering his midfield before Thursday’s deadline.

He does hoard players, does our Jurgen. He’s just realised that the main reason we can’t bring in a replacement is we have nine midfielders, available or not. We should really have moved at least two of them at end of last season but, listening to his press conference yesterday, he does it for the “right reason.” He also looks at players as human beings as well as assets.
I know all that. Klopp believes that loyalty goes both ways and it's a good thing, but not always practical when you're trying to be competitive as well.
The whole "we already have midfielders" argument kinda falls short when the quality isn't good enough.

Last edited:
I know all that. Klopp believes that loyalty goes both ways and it's a good thing, but now always practical when you're trying to be competitive as well.
The whole "we already have midfielders" argument kinda falls short when the quality isn't good enough.
That blame should be pointed at those working within the club and not the owners.

There is a balance to be struck between building a good group environment and the ruthlessness needed at the top.
We can bring in Rafa, just for a week. Then Klopp back in.

It’s also why these top footballers are paid the vast sums of money they do; for precisely these situations when hard decisions have to be made.

We all know these numbers are hard to get right, but it would not surprise me one bit.
I don´t want an oil tycoon, but that 37 mill is basically the midfielder we need.

Liverpool’s association with AC Milan has further expanded, at least from a distance, with FSG investors RedBird completing their purchase of the Italian club.
Back in March, RedBird Capital Partners founder Gerry Cardinale confirmed plans to “add other teams” to the Fenway Sports Group portfolio, with “everything in play.”

This came a year after RedBird’s $750 million investment in FSG, securing an 11 percent stake in the ownership group and ensuring influence on their board of directors.
RedBird themselves have remained busy in acquiring other clubs, namely French side Toulouse, and have now completed their most significant move into football yet.
Serie A champions AC Milan, who Liverpool faced in the Champions League last season, have now confirmed the takeover of RedBird Capital Partners for €1.2 billion, with a minority stake purchased by the New York Yankees.

LeBron James, who is an investor in Liverpool, and Drake are also said to have stakes in the club through their fund Main Street Advisors alongside Red Bird.
According to the Liverpool Echo, Milan’s new partnership with the Yankees could see them play a pre-season friendly at their stadium in New York next summer, the same venue where Liverpool played Sporting CP in 2019.
RedBird are described as “one of the world’s most prolific investors in elite sports,” with their ambitions high as they branch out throughout the United States, India and Europe.

Whether their takeover at the San Siro will affect RedBird’s connection with FSG, or that of between Liverpool and AC Milan, is uncertain.
But the mutual interests could boost any partnerships in the future, particularly when it comes to aspects such as pre-season friendlies and possibly even transfer negotiations.
One bit of transfer business involving the two clubs was done earlier this summer, when Divock Origi joined the Italian outfit after his Liverpool contract expired at the end of last season.

If we don’t sign a top CM today then I’m gonna say bye to the league and just chill and expect a push for top four.

Keita & Ox were unfortunate bust. On paper they were good and logical signings. If only one of them had fulfilled their promise we would have gotten a few more silverwares.

They are also of the right age now to lead the midfield. Instead, we had to rely on our old timers and our youths. So in a way we can't say there were no contingency plans in place or that FSG didn't finance the team adequately. That's almost an 80m midfield bust right there.

Whether Klopp should have acted earlier is up for debate though.

Fair enough as long as the debate also covers the extent to which it would or would not have been possible for him to do so.

I love all this talk of Klopp "sending a message" by holding on to Ox for the last 5 years, and the like. If that was the case he's doing a godawful job as the point of "sending a message" is that someone is meant to hear & understand that message ... and by someone I don't mean internet conspiracy freaks,

Far more likely IMHO is that the recipients of said message don't want to hear it so they screen it out, which would not be Klopp's fault.

Far more likely IMHO is that the recipients of said message don't want to hear it so they screen it out, which would not be Klopp's fault.
If that were the case then he has been sending out the same message for the last 5 seasons and got no response. How did Einstein define insanity again?

Personally I think Jurgen is a bit more intelligent than that

He hasn't though. In earlier years you never heard this kind of thing from him. My bet is he feels driven to it now because nothing else, not even the success we've had with its inherent promise of more to come, has persuaded them to relax their approach.

Ah but my comment was specifically about the suggestion that Klopp holds on to the likes of Ox, over many seasons, to send a message

Ah but my comment was specifically about the suggestion that Klopp holds on to the likes of Ox, over many seasons, to send a message

No one is holding on to anyone. Ferraris in the garage is something you say when you want to advertise they are for sale, which is what he has done. Ox should be something we can write off, but no one wants him.

I blame the Sporting Director for those. Mane was wondering they won't talking about renewing his contract 24 - 18 months before it ended, that's down to the owners and SD. Naby should and Ox should have gone last season, again waited to the last 12 months and now both will walk as will Bobby.
If your model is sell to buy and then fail to sell, you are then having to trade in the promising youngsters to raise cash for an experienced player.

FSG are hoping that Carvalho and Elliott will become the next Coutinho and bring in the next mega money for the club

Today vs. 3 years ago.

Untitled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom