• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopp's best signing?

The most important signing

• Salah

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • VVD

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Alisson

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
Forgetting money aside... who do you think has been the most important signing in the Klopp era?

Virgil for me.

All have valid arguments as to why the other would be considered so it's one of those questions where there is no right or wrong answer and purely based on what part of the game you value the most for a successful side to go on to win trophies.

It seems like Salah but in terms of actually turning us into challengers it's probably Van Dijk. We went from being decent top 4 team to title winning quality from the day he signed to the day he got injured in 2020.
Whilst all true, and his presence made us true challengers, Ali turned us into actual champions.
But then we had an incredibly shit goalie before him so maybe it’s not clear cut.
And those two would have made fuck all difference if it wasn’t for Salah’s output.
Tough one!!

Salah for me, just, but only because he’s been consistent over the whole piece - Van Dijk’s injured not only knocked him out for a season, but made him mortal thereafter - Salah just kept on delivering.

Also - I’d factor in both Alisson & Van Dijk where world record transfer fees for their position at the time - so they should have been transformational - whereas Salah cost a lot less and wasn’t expected to be as good as he has become.

This is a very difficult question most of them have been good. Let's look at them:

- He signed no one when he first joined us, yet we got to two finals with that team, we lost both of them and it was down to him - especially the Europa Final.
- Then he signed Sadio / Gini / Matip the following summer - and we qualified for top 4 and into the CL - so Gini + Sadio was 55M Max
- Then the following season we bought Ox, Salah, Robbo for a combined 83M, and then another 75 Million on VVD after Coutinho left and we made it to a CL final and finished in the top 4 again.
- Then we signed Alisson and Fab for a combined 100M and we won the CL
- Then we signed no one and and went onto win the league.
- Then we signed Thiago for 20M, and a kid named Elliot - and qualified for the CL
- Then we signed Konate for 35 Million and nearly went onto win the quad but ended up with the cup double.
- Lets forget last season.

So in my view the best value for money signings Klopp has made are the first 2 Gini+Sadio at a combined £55M

Just for the amount of appearances and getting us consistently into the top 4 season after season. The first season without Mane+Gini - we never qualified for the CL.

Salah.

Mo has delivered every single year without question. He is also considerably the best value of the three clear choices. Allison has never had a sub par year, but Salah has done it for a year longer, so he takes top spot.

VVD is the same level in terms by ability and impact, but a year of injury followed by a mediocre recovery season, and a sizeable transfer fee, means he's harshly third place through no fault of his own.

Last edited:
When hasn't Ali delivered? Mo has gone through dry patches in some seasons. We all know VVD was off last year. How many bad games has Ali had in his LFC career?
I'd like money not to be part of people's equation when formulating who they think is the "most important signing" please!

When hasn't Ali delivered? Mo has gone through dry patches in some seasons. We all know VVD was off last year. How many bad games has Ali had in his LFC career?
I'd like money not to be part of people's equation when formulating who they think is the "most important signing" please!

Well, in that case, Klopp’s most important signing was himself every time he’s extended his contract.

I voted Allison because as long as I've been a fan we've always had a steady succession of decent quality defenders and strikers; Carra, Hyppia; Owen, Torres, Suarez, you get my drift, but the goalkeepers tend to be on the shit end of things and only a prayer has been the difference between them and some of our cup finals pre-Allison. It's also easy to forget that while we paid a huge sum for him, it was the same summer the chavs bought Kepa for even more- pricetag never is a sure thing.

Salah.

Mo has delivered every single year without question. He is also considerably the best value of the three clear choices. Allison has never had a sub par year, but Salah has done it for a year longer.

VVD is the same level in terms by ability and impact, but a year of injury followed by a mediocre recovery season, and a sizeable transfer fee, means he's harshly third place through no fault of his own.

Agreed.

I want to give it to Alisson because he's the best goalkeeper we've had since I started watching Liverpool in the 80's and I fear the day he leaves because I just can't go back to having a shit goalkeeper again... but when you weigh up all the factors, you can't look past Salah.

Not saying he is the best, but I do feel like Sadio is disrespected in these convos.

He was the superstar (imo) that started the domino effect of top players coming to sign for us.

He fired us to 4th place and the CL in a stunning first season, and everything/one else followed from that.

Not saying he is the best, but I do feel like Sadio is disrespected in these convos.

He was the superstar (imo) that started the domino effect of top players coming to sign for us.

He fired us to 4th place and the CL in a stunning first season, and everything/one else followed from that.
And showed up in basically every final or semi-final we played, unlike...

As for the actual answer to this poll. If we are talking about value for money and minutes played on the pitch, it has to be Salah. Unbelievable contribution and consistency.

But if we are talking about impact on the club and taking us up a level, it's VVD.

Before him, I grewing up watching us either be ultra defensive (Houllier/Benitez) or being an absolute shambles at the back (Evans/Rodgers).

Under Houllier/Benitez we had top defenders, but not world class defenders, hence the system had to be tailored around us being tight and not exposing Sami/Carra/Lovren to pace/skill merchants like Henry or Aguero. It meant our attack suffered (being so defensive and unable to defend 1 v 1s) and we couldn't win titles.

With VVD leading at the back, we are able to attack with reckless abandon (TAA/Robbo basically being auxiliary wingers). His win/loss record at Anfield is stunning. A transformational, generational player imo when he was at his peak. Even now, he's still world class and it's no surprise that his return to form has seen us become title contenders again.

Last edited:
I voted for VVD. Mainly because I think it was a statement signing. We one of the best in the world, he turned down City to sign for us and it was a record fee. I think up until that point we had been signing the 2nd or 3 third tier of players, gambling that they'd continue to get better.

I think the same argument could be made for Alisson. but the hype was little lessoned as he was coming from aboard and Roma had conceded 7 against us the previous season.

It probably could be argued that Robertson, Mane, and Mo were our best value signings. And they all played a massive impact in our success. But I think we needed the statement signing more than anything to show the players and fans that we wanted to compete.

With this VVD thing - why do so many of you say he had a loss of form ? since he got assaulted, in his recovery season we went onto nearly win the damn quad, and then last season - we all know it was not just him, pre-Christmas he definitely dropped his standards to ensure he made the world cup, and secondly there was no midfield at all for 70% of last season to give any defensive security. He's been excellent throughout his time with us.

Not even open for debate
Salah by a mile..

Whilst You could argue Alisson and VVD where the final pieces of the jigsaw, we would not be anywhere near the success we have had without Salah..

Arguably one of our best ever players..

Salah would be the easiest to replace.
Rubbish..

He would be the most difficult to replace..

What he contributes week in week out, in terms of goals and assists and his sheer work rate is second to none. To buy a player of his standard, you are talking, serious money.. Serious money we are just not prepared to spend..
However I do fancy Bowden from WHU, it certainly a player a club like Liverpool and Klopp would take a punt on.. he reminds me of Salah in parts and he is turning into some player. But can he make the Step up and perform at a consistent level season after season for a Top Club like Salah does?. I'm not so sure.

we would not be anywhere near the success we have had without Salah..

Arguably one of our best ever players..
Guess what?

Both goes the same for Ali and Virg.

The 17/18 season where Salah scored 44 goals & we still didn't win anything can be used as leverage to back that up somewhat....the split voting in the poll also says otherwise ;)

Goals and assists win games..

And granted a Top goal keeper like Ali can make the difference. But you still need a Salah type player to win you the games.

VVD has only only recently started showing the form he had that helped to win us trophies..

The VVD and Allisson signings were key. As great as Salah has been, that wouldn't have carried us to the greatness we achieved, and still do. That Coutinho money well spent was absolute Grade A.

The VVD and Allisson signings were key. As great as Salah has been, that wouldn't have carried us to the greatness we achieved, and still do. That Coutinho money well spent was absolute Grade A.
I don't deny they where key..

But we still would not have won those titles without the likes of Salah running down the wing..

again to win games you need goals, assists and playmakers. There where many times Salah carried that front 3 in terms of goals . Mane could take a while to get going. Bobby legend that he is, wasn't exactly a goal scoring machine, I loved it when he had mini purple patches.. The midfield as well wasn't exactly renowned for scoring goals..

Salah all day long. Given what we paid for him too..

As for the actual answer to this poll. If we are talking about value for money and minutes played on the pitch, it has to be Salah. Unbelievable contribution and consistency.

But if we are talking about impact on the club and taking us up a level, it's VVD.

Before him, I grewing up watching us either be ultra defensive (Houllier/Benitez) or being an absolute shambles at the back (Evans/Rodgers).

Under Houllier/Benitez we had top defenders, but not world class defenders, hence the system had to be tailored around us being tight and not exposing Sami/Carra/Lovren to pace/skill merchants like Henry or Aguero. It meant our attack suffered (being so defensive and unable to defend 1 v 1s) and we couldn't win titles.

With VVD leading at the back, we are able to attack with reckless abandon (TAA/Robbo basically being auxiliary wingers). His win/loss record at Anfield is stunning. A transformational, generational player imo when he was at his peak. Even now, he's still world class and it's no surprise that his return to form has seen us become title contenders again.

Exactly this for me, too. If we factor money it can only be Mo.

But while Mo is an all-time legend, there are a lot of amazing attackers that could have contributed in our side.

Virgil absolutely transformed how we play. Last year I thought he was on the downside but he's once again at the top of his game.

Transformative signing beyond any other.

(And that's not even discussing the best keeper in the world...)

Would he make your top 3 signings under Klopp? Brilliant player but not as instrumental as the 3 mentioned here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom