• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopps to Leave at the End of the Season

I don't really understand drawing up on etymology here.

The reason more English people spell the word with a z now isn't a resurgence in interest in Shakespeare or some other rebirth of old ways.

It is because of the cultural influence exerted by America. You are wrong in England still, per the preferred spelling, and will be until enough people join you being wrong, whereupon, despite the braying of a minority of exceedingly indignant formerly right people, you will be right. I tend to doubt that happens, as it's much easier to police written language.

Watching my kid learn English and Spanish simultaneously has been very instructive. If you make spelling mistakes in Spanish, then you almost certainly aren't pronouncing the word correctly. Meanwhile, the spelling mistakes he makes in English are logical, sensible, and laughably wrong. In terms of spelling, any arguments you lot are having is because the language is an absolute pigfuck. I think virtually anything is justifiable in this wild west of bullshit. Spelling, anyway. Just don't say it's because of Shakespeare. He has enough influence on the language without inflating his stats.
Way to miss the point Farkski.

The Shakespeare reference is merely to date the original spelling practice back to the time of the formation of the original American colonies - predating the revolutionary war. It’s not anything to do with elevating the influence of Shakespeare. The colonists spelled things with a z as did most Brits at that time.

Way to miss the point Farkski.

The Shakespeare reference is merely to date the original spelling practice back to the time of the formation of the original American colonies - predating the revolutionary war. It’s not anything to do with elevating the influence of Shakespeare. The colonists spelled things with a z as did most Brits at that time.
But so what? Why does someone spell it with a z or an s now? Unless you can show a linguistical continuity through a period of time with the spelling, then spelling it the other way is either a random error produced by the horrible imprecision of our phonetics, justified and characterised ex post facto, or is produced by an American influence. I.e. someone who has learned to spell it that way is either stubborn and seeks to justify themselves by grasping at whatever historical precedent is available or, through has through exposure been influenced by the foreign spelling. It is still foreign now, even if it wasn't, unless there is that continuity.

? Not sure what you’re missing. The z spelling was standardized in America using conventional grammatical rules at the time of the formation of the country. And now there are 5x as many Americans as there are Brits. So it’s now more commonly used. The whole point of this was from Tom Brown accusing the z users of somehow mangling the language in some new fangled way. My point was to tell him that he’s wrong as usual.

? Not sure what you’re missing. The z spelling was standardized in America using conventional grammatical rules at the time of the formation of the country. And now there are 5x as many Americans as there are Brits. So it’s now more commonly used. The whole point of this was from Tom Brown accusing the z users of somehow mangling the language in some new fangled way. My point was to tell him that he’s wrong as usual.

I think I'm missing something better to do. I could clarify what I'm trying to tease out here but it wouldn't really be enriching for anyone.

Just to clarify : if you are justifying the use of ‘z’ on the number of native or bilingual English speakers then actually far more use the ‘s’ (Indian sub continent, Australasia, Africa, HK etc).

He's being a deliberate spaz. Or just dimwitted. Probably the latter.
That would be "spas", Mr Sanches ;)

Anyway I looked it up and Shakespeare famously uses Z in King Lear with “Thou whoreson Z, thou unnecessary letter”, where he shows his contempt of a rarely used letter "that did not exist in Latin"

He just described it as "new world" which you are taking as "new fangled."

If an English person starts spelling it with a z, they are mangling the language, that has been mangled again and again and again. In this instance they are fighting with their own echo.

I also don't know what it matters how many people are spelling it elsewhere, to what is "right" where you are.

I don't care about any of this, as a practical matter, is the odd thing. My normal spelling goes between English and American all the time.

Last edited:
I think Klopp is also tired of doing all the tedious adverts and media stuff.
Like these dumb segments they have with YouTubers from time to time.

Honestly, considering the money they're making, I have zero sympathy for them.

Last edited:
I think Klopp is also tired about doing all the tedious adverts and media stuff.
Like these dumb segments they have with YouTubers from time to time.

Honestly, considering the money they're making, I have zero sympathy for them.

Don't get angry at the higher paid workers in the factory if you are looking to be annoyed at the money in football.

Don't get angry at the higher paid workers in the factory if you are looking to be annoyed at the money in football.
I'm not angry, I'd be the biggest sell out ever if they offered me millions to promote Nivea.

Klopp does a bunch of advertising that isn't Liverpool related. He's been pimping himself out for years.

Where I work, we have a daily UPS guy who comes in to collect everything we have to sent out......mostly export docs and all that hot shit & as he's actually the same guy who sometimes delivers to L4 as LFC and UPS are in partnership with all things logistics.

Last week he actually had a delivery for Klopp and he signed for it himself and he told me how they were chatting a bit about what his plans are for post Liverpool. Says he's off to his home in Mallorca to put his feet up for 6 months & could be back after that.

Good on you Jurgen!!

Where I work, we have a daily UPS guy who comes in to collect everything we have to sent out......mostly export docs and all that hot shit & as he's actually the same guy who sometimes delivers to L4 as LFC and UPS are in partnership with all things logistics.

Last week he actually had a delivery for Klopp and he signed for it himself and he told me how they were chatting a bit about what his plans are for post Liverpool. Says he's off to his home in Mallorca to put his feet up for 6 months & could be back after that.

Good on you Jurgen!!
Mark Lawrenson was interviewed weeks ago and said this. They’ll be neighbours. Klopp is building a new gaff which is much nicer than the miserable cunts one.

Back
Top Bottom