• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leeds post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

Personally, I loved the game. This was like a return to 3 years ago, the era before Van Dijk and Alisson, when every counter-attack and every shot on goal seemed to result in a goal for the opposition, Salah was at his unplayable best and it was all good fun. The team was at sixes and sevenths after the return from the International duty; the players's individual form varied wildly from the sublime Salah and excellent Robbo and Gomez to the ridiculously bad. Hendo was clearly short of match sharpness, but as usual gave it all he had; Wijnaldum supported the attack, but was lackluster defensively, Trent and Van Dijk had shockers, Alisson didn't save us once, Mane looked like Bambi on ice and Firmino produced 2 or 3 horrible touches for every good one. I thought Keita started really well, but faded after 30 minutes. Jones was at fault for the 3rd goal, but looked strong otherwise and Fabinho's cameo was decisive in stabilizing the midfield and also winning the late penalty.

I'm not too worried about the defensive issues; even last season we couldn't keep a clean sheet in the first few games, although it was never as wild as this. This will all gradually get sorted out in the next few weeks; the biggest positive and possibly a cause for optimism for the rest of the season was Salah's return to his best form. This was one of Mo's best individual performances in the Liverpool shirt; maybe the opponents couldn't recognize him without his iconic hair, because he ran circles around them all game. If he can keep this up and when Sadio and Bobby catch up on their sharpness, the rest of the season is going to be seriously fun.

And as for Leeds, wow, they are going to be some addition to the Premier League. Can't wait to see Bielsa take on Pep on October 3rd; that's going to be tactical fireworks galore.

Last edited:
Fearless Marcelo Bielsa transforms Anfield into a delirious dreamscape
Leeds went toe to toe with the champions in a majestic opening half-hour that broke all the rules of football as we know it

by Barney Ronay

Oh yes, you can definitely come again. This was, frankly, a bonkers game of football. At 5.30pm Michael Oliver blew the starting whistle on Liverpool’s defence of their Premier League title. At which point, enter: the Bielsa zone.

In that opening half-hour the hands of the clock seemed to spin, the sun turned a shade of purple, the birds above Anfield flew backward through the sky. Meanwhile Liverpool and Leeds hurled themselves into something that resembled a high-pressure opening-day Premier League fixture. But infused, on this occasion, with a dreamlike quality, football on the moon played out with a ball made of marzipan, on grass that seemed to undulate with psychedelic possibilities.

Jürgen Klopp will be grateful for the enduring vim of Mohamed Salah, who had nine shots at goal, scored a hat-trick in a 4-3 win and would no doubt be happy to play in this kind of freewheeling game of sprints every week. Klopp will also hope Virgil van Dijk was simply caught cold by the Leeds swarm. The Premier League’s outstanding defender looked as frazzled as he has at any time in a Liverpool shirt. Understandably so during an opening period where the tight, streamlined thing that is elite club football seemed to collapse a little, to pose a constant series of unanswered questions. Mainly things like: is this also available in tablet form? Do I just hook it straight into my veins? And can we do it all again straight afterwards?

That start, then. “We play every game the same way,” Bielsa had said before kick-off, registering a rare minus score on the mind games-ometer but speaking as always with a disarming honesty. All very well. But in the opening seconds it was tempting to wonder if Bielsa had actually seen Liverpool play. Do they get Sky in Yorkshire? Is there any kind of access to Match of the Day? Perhaps not. Leeds went chasing straight away, surging upfield in packs, leaving strange empty spaces behind for Liverpool to explore. With three minutes gone the champions had a penalty. The ball bounced up off Robin Koch’s leg on to his arm. It seemed unfair, harsh, unsporting and thus safely within the current rules on handball. Salah put it away.

Leeds didn’t take a breath. Still running hard, still pressing hard, they had the ball in the net shortly afterwards only to see the offside flag raised. This wasn’t the thing though. The thing was Leeds had three white shirts by the Liverpool penalty spot. With 13 minutes gone they were level. Kalvin Phillips was given time by Liverpool’s midfield to float a sublime pass to Jack Harrison. He skipped past Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez then drilled a shot into the corner, a goal of such fearless certainty it made you wonder why people don’t always glide past England defenders and plant the ball past the right hand of the best goalkeeper in the world. What are we all doing with our lives anyway?

So it went on. Steadily Liverpool began to find the weak spots behind the white shirts, adjusting to this slightly wild reconfiguring of the rules of footballing space. With 20 minutes gone Koch was blocked as he tried to track the run of Van Dijk at a corner, and turned to see his man levitating above the grass with time to consider the day, the moment, the weirdness of the empty red plastic space behind the goal, before butting the ball into the corner of the net. More? Yes, you can have more. With 29 minutes gone it was 2-2, this time via a horrendously casual piece of defending from Van Dijk, who attempted a highlights-reel flick-pass as the ball dropped over his shoulder. He scuffed it to Patrick Bamford, who scored.

There were other moments in between – so, so many moments – including one occasion where the ball was chipped into an empty Leeds net from 30 yards, only for an offside flag to reassert some sense of flustered decorum. Both teams drew breath. That freewheeling start settled into what was merely a very good game of football. Salah made it 3-2. Mateusz Klich equalised. Salah won it with a penalty at the death.

What to make of all this? Most obviously there is a kind of glory in Bielsa announcing himself like this to the Premier League: an ideologue, a barrel-squatting zealot, dishing up a masterclass in his own vision of movement and team play. For Liverpool there will be some concerns: the fragility at the heart of the defence (they have three clean sheets in 17 games) and the wonkiness of Roberto Firmino’s finishing. But Klopp is unlikely to dwell too long on either. This was in many ways a one-off, a match to win, somehow, while taking the bruises. Best of all, after a painful summer, it gave us that opening half-hour and a shot of pure sporting pleasure.

============

He had to get "Koch-blocked" in there, didn't he?

I was pleasently surprised this was about the actual match, and not signings, finances or which nonce has said that we’ve been in a right state since the lockdown - or not.

Thank God for that, Rurik.

I think Leeds were really bad defensively... almost as bad as we were. If we didn't play like mongs at the back, they would have got hammered.

Not really understanding the Leeds love-in in the media - well, I actually do, you don't get in-depth, nuanced analysis anymore. They will come up against much better defences this season, so if they don't sort their own defence out, they'll be in trouble. It was like the Norwich opener last season - we were shite at the back and gifted them loads of chances, but some excellent attacking play bailed us out.

Leeds had a couple of decent players - mainly in attack- but they're gonna be on the receiving end of some tonkings if they keep playing like that.

Victory felt like relief rather than celebration. Leeds were terrible but they did get lots of bodies in the box which will cause plenty of teams issues.

Let’s start with the ugly. Van Dijk needs to get his head out of his arse. He was great in an attacking sense. Ponderous and sloppy at the back. He’s gone from Baresi to Dicks in 6 months.

Wijnaldum needs binning off. Everyone talks about his national team record but his misses today were terrible. I’m probably being harsh on the second one.

Firmino needs to go too if we get a sizeable bid. I think we need to slowly ease out our front 3 and he’s first to go. Minamino should’ve come on for him. Maybe we’d have scored a fair few more and avoided the Matip sub later on.

The bad. Trent. I’m trying to think of something positive he did. I think he did a far post clearance. That oggy was an abysmal effort and was rightfully saved by the flag. He’s not in the ugly category because of his rustiness with a lack of preseason.

I felt Henderson was a symbolic start. Let’s get out captain out there for the first game of “attacking” the title. It was a mistake. He lacked energy and drive. Fabinho makes our best XI and should start when fit. Henderson wasn’t even close to being fit.

Manè had one of his off days and still calmly scored a 30 yarder. I wouldn’t be concerned about him because he could easily bang in 2 on his next outing.

The good. Jones was excellent. He may have been still cold when he first cane on and they scored. He has that drive and determination to make it here.

I said in the match thread Keita was up for it early on and somewhat fell off a cliff edge. At least he was trying and was the only midfielder starter who was doing that.

Robbo was the best defender on the pitch.

The sublime. Mo. Just leave it at that.

I didn’t think Leeds were that great the way some are raving about.

Poor man’s Wolves. Give them 10-15 games and they’ll start to show.

Fearless Marcelo Bielsa transforms Anfield into a delirious dreamscape
Leeds went toe to toe with the champions in a majestic opening half-hour that broke all the rules of football as we know it

by Barney Ronay

Oh yes, you can definitely come again. This was, frankly, a bonkers game of football. At 5.30pm Michael Oliver blew the starting whistle on Liverpool’s defence of their Premier League title. At which point, enter: the Bielsa zone.

In that opening half-hour the hands of the clock seemed to spin, the sun turned a shade of purple, the birds above Anfield flew backward through the sky. Meanwhile Liverpool and Leeds hurled themselves into something that resembled a high-pressure opening-day Premier League fixture. But infused, on this occasion, with a dreamlike quality, football on the moon played out with a ball made of marzipan, on grass that seemed to undulate with psychedelic possibilities.

Jürgen Klopp will be grateful for the enduring vim of Mohamed Salah, who had nine shots at goal, scored a hat-trick in a 4-3 win and would no doubt be happy to play in this kind of freewheeling game of sprints every week. Klopp will also hope Virgil van Dijk was simply caught cold by the Leeds swarm. The Premier League’s outstanding defender looked as frazzled as he has at any time in a Liverpool shirt. Understandably so during an opening period where the tight, streamlined thing that is elite club football seemed to collapse a little, to pose a constant series of unanswered questions. Mainly things like: is this also available in tablet form? Do I just hook it straight into my veins? And can we do it all again straight afterwards?

That start, then. “We play every game the same way,” Bielsa had said before kick-off, registering a rare minus score on the mind games-ometer but speaking as always with a disarming honesty. All very well. But in the opening seconds it was tempting to wonder if Bielsa had actually seen Liverpool play. Do they get Sky in Yorkshire? Is there any kind of access to Match of the Day? Perhaps not. Leeds went chasing straight away, surging upfield in packs, leaving strange empty spaces behind for Liverpool to explore. With three minutes gone the champions had a penalty. The ball bounced up off Robin Koch’s leg on to his arm. It seemed unfair, harsh, unsporting and thus safely within the current rules on handball. Salah put it away.

Leeds didn’t take a breath. Still running hard, still pressing hard, they had the ball in the net shortly afterwards only to see the offside flag raised. This wasn’t the thing though. The thing was Leeds had three white shirts by the Liverpool penalty spot. With 13 minutes gone they were level. Kalvin Phillips was given time by Liverpool’s midfield to float a sublime pass to Jack Harrison. He skipped past Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez then drilled a shot into the corner, a goal of such fearless certainty it made you wonder why people don’t always glide past England defenders and plant the ball past the right hand of the best goalkeeper in the world. What are we all doing with our lives anyway?

So it went on. Steadily Liverpool began to find the weak spots behind the white shirts, adjusting to this slightly wild reconfiguring of the rules of footballing space. With 20 minutes gone Koch was blocked as he tried to track the run of Van Dijk at a corner, and turned to see his man levitating above the grass with time to consider the day, the moment, the weirdness of the empty red plastic space behind the goal, before butting the ball into the corner of the net. More? Yes, you can have more. With 29 minutes gone it was 2-2, this time via a horrendously casual piece of defending from Van Dijk, who attempted a highlights-reel flick-pass as the ball dropped over his shoulder. He scuffed it to Patrick Bamford, who scored.

There were other moments in between – so, so many moments – including one occasion where the ball was chipped into an empty Leeds net from 30 yards, only for an offside flag to reassert some sense of flustered decorum. Both teams drew breath. That freewheeling start settled into what was merely a very good game of football. Salah made it 3-2. Mateusz Klich equalised. Salah won it with a penalty at the death.

What to make of all this? Most obviously there is a kind of glory in Bielsa announcing himself like this to the Premier League: an ideologue, a barrel-squatting zealot, dishing up a masterclass in his own vision of movement and team play. For Liverpool there will be some concerns: the fragility at the heart of the defence (they have three clean sheets in 17 games) and the wonkiness of Roberto Firmino’s finishing. But Klopp is unlikely to dwell too long on either. This was in many ways a one-off, a match to win, somehow, while taking the bruises. Best of all, after a painful summer, it gave us that opening half-hour and a shot of pure sporting pleasure.

============

He had to get "Koch-blocked" in there, didn't he?

He talks about dreamland and glosses over the most magical finish of the game.

They were lucky in a sense that they came up against us there. We were half a kip, and it was a no-lose situation for them. Had they played like that against any other established Premier League team with their heads screwed on, they would've gotten mauled.

I think Leeds were really bad defensively... almost as bad as we were. If we didn't play like mongs at the back, they would have got hammered.

Not really understanding the Leeds love-in in the media - well, I actually do, you don't get in-depth, nuanced analysis anymore. They will come up against much better defences this season, so if they don't sort their own defence out, they'll be in trouble. It was like the Norwich opener last season - we were shite at the back and gifted them loads of chances, but some excellent attacking play bailed us out.

Leeds had a couple of decent players - mainly in attack- but they're gonna be on the receiving end of some tonkings if they keep playing like that.

I thought their CB pair was dodgy, which was not surprising given it’s their first game together. Quite impressed with the RB Ayling who didn’t give Mane a sniff, Phillips was spraying great passes around (such a contrast to his performance for England!) and Harrison’s goal was superb. I think they have more than Norwich, but they do need to sort that center of defense out.

It’s also worth pointing out that we had less possession than Leeds, which is a rarity for home games especially. This is why it felt like LFC of 3 years ago - playing on the counter with some really incisive quick interplay between the front 3, but dodgy at the back. I wonder if this is a one-off or did Klopp tweak the way we attack a little bit.

Last edited:
I think Souness made an excellent point about Leeds in that unless they have or develop a much larger squad they won't be capable of keeping up that type of football for a whole season. Our success depends on us maintaining at least 7 decent midfielders who are willing to work to Klopps demands.

Yeah, I think there was a 1 on 1 where he rushed out and prevented the striker from shooting. But I think all the shots on target went in. Had this been Adrian in goal, people would be saying "Alisson would have saved one of those."

I agree, people always claimed he makes saves look easy because of his positioning. Well it’s clear his positioning has been off since the comeback.

He did very well go push Bamford wide, was great keeping.

More possession than Us at Anfield
More passes than us at Anfield
Equalised three times
Had two goals ruled out for offside.
They have just come up.
They got torn up by our attack which has torn up the best in the world.
They are rightly getting praised

They're rightly getting praised for being torn up by our attack?

We were very poor and still beat them. Gifted them 2 goals. The 3rd goal was a wonder goal, and they only had 3 shots on target. We should've scored more (also had a goal disallowed for nothing), and if we hadn't defended like spazzes, it would've been a fairly comfortable afternoon.

Not one for stats because they don't paint the full picture, but if possession and passes are getting a mention, why not have a look at some other stats...

Shots:

LFC - 22
Leeds - 6

Shots on target:

LFC - 9
Leeds - 3

Corners:

LFC - 9
Leeds - 0

Why can't some ppl understand that just cos one team played poor, dont mean the other team played world-class ?

they just average is what i'm sayin'

More possession than Us at Anfield
More passes than us at Anfield
Equalised three times
Had two goals ruled out for offside.
They have just come up.
They got torn up by our attack which has torn up the best in the world.
They are rightly getting praised

No, you see all of that doesn’t count because we the defending champions are such a hopelessly poor side. Let them come up against a proper EPL team like Crystal Palace or West Ham and they’ll surely be destroyed.

No, you see all of that doesn’t count because we the defending champions are such a hopelessly poor side. Let them come up again a proper EPL team like Crystal Palace or West Ham and they’ll surely be destroyed.

sorry you are right, my bad. James and Allen will tear them apart with T Rex keeping them at bay.

No, you see all of that doesn’t count because we’re such a hopelessly poor side. Let them come up again a proper EPL team like Crystal Palace or West Ham and they’ll surely be destroyed.

Does everything have to be polarised, sensational comments these days? Like this is the way of everything in the world at the moment.

I'm saying that we defended poorer than most Premier League sides will against them this season. Their defence was poor and shipped 4 goals. Should've been more. If that's their best, they'll get a fair few hidings this season against teams that are more disciplined.

I think they'll stay up. They were okay offensively (mainly through our shitness ON THE DAY). But they're like an upgrade on Norwich of last season based on that game. I'm not blowing my load over them just yet.

They lost nine times last season against total shite in the championship. You think Fulham are shite? Fulham beat them. Wigan fucking beat them. So they've bought a few new players... One of them was that Koch cock. He's fucking shite. They're going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom