• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leeds post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want this to turn into another little spat, but I don't understand the way some people think...
Saying That Leeds were crap in defence is true, but were we not equally as bad..? then to add had we not been so we would have hammered them, is also true.

But this is where you lose me..If Leeds had been better in defence does it not follow that We would have been on the end of a hammering..?

So to simply say that If we had played better in defence, without the acknowledgement that leeds could also have done the same seems ill considered

Also could the way that both Our defensive error, and that of Leeds; stemed from the pressure that they both came under..?

I don't want this to turn into another little spat, but I don't understand the way some people think...
Saying That Leeds were crap in defence is true, but were we not equally as bad..? then to add had we not been so we would have hammered them, is also true.

But this is where you lose me..If Leeds had been better in defence does it not follow that We would have been on the end of a hammering..?

So to simply say that If we had played better in defence, without the acknowledgement that leeds could also have done the same seems ill considered

Also could the way that both Our defensive error, and that of Leeds; stemed from the pressure that they both came under..?

Because Leeds haven't been the best team in the world for the past 2 years so it's not really safe to assume they're capable of a near flawless defensive display like we are.

Our defence being shit was a one off. Doubt you can say the same about Leeds

As most here are saying,It is their first match coming up, The Defender Koch is new, nerves play it's part,unluck with the First goal (Pen) had a bad start. He will learn and get better

They need to beat Fulham next week because they play Sheffield United, Man City and Wolves after that and I can see them getting fuck all out of those games

Because Leeds haven't been the best team in the world for the past 2 years so it's not really safe to assume they're capable of a near flawless defensive display like we are.
Yes I understand that, but it is easier to defend against teams that are not so good in attack, and Leeds movement and build up play was quality

Hélder Costa was leaving TAA for dead in a foot race, think Klich goal was class (Their third)
Just think that they are a lot better than you and some here are giving them credit for is all

Yes I understand that, but it is easier to defend against teams that are not so good in attack, and Leeds movement and build up play was quality

Hélder Costa was leaving TAA for dead in a foot race, think Klich goal was class (Their third)
Just think that they are a lot better than you and some here are giving them credit for is all

The first goal was brilliant. The other 2 goals were very preventable. I don't think they're bad offensively, but I also don't think you can just assume they'll automatically improve the multiple-fold needed for them to do well this season.

Our defence being shit was a one off. Doubt you can say the same about Leeds

Its not really a one off when its been happening for months. It was the same as the last several games of 19/20, Europe, pre season, the Community Shield.

Chelsea will fuck us over next week.

In all seriousness, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way the midfield is set up at the minute.

Klopp once played Lallana and Gini as holding midfielders. It was a head scratcher but he liked two players infront of the back four who could turn on a six pence and quickly turn defense into attack.

As we've progressed that mantle has gone on to Henderson and Fabinho, who are alot more measured in the way they play, they can put their foot on the ball and slow things down when needed. But he doesn't play them as sitting midfielders in the traditional sense. He allows them to roam, he likes them to press higher up the pitch, to follow the ball, just as we do in attack, the higher the press, the better the chance of a turnover that becomes an attack. The closer to goal, the greater the threat etc.

I noticed people in the match thread yesterday complaining about Fabinho's exclusion. We've been shipping goals with Fab's in the team too. It's not a reflection of him, it just underlines the issue that we have in protecting our defense. We don't want to sacrifice something from attack, so we play that way and take the risk. Teams seem to have got on to the simple tactic of knocking the ball over our midfield, or over our defense. Punt a high ball behind the backline, to make the two covering defenders work, and guaranteed one of two chances will come from it. Exploit the gaps the fullbacks leave, put a play maker between our midfield and defense on the break with a runner ahead and it's too easy to exploit.

Klopp needs a rethink. Thiago won't solve it, because Klopp won't allow a player to just sit in front of the defense, it's not how he plays. Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Gini - all can do a job infront of the defense if they are disciplined by the tactics, but we have to cover ground, we have to crowd the ball and that's where a lack of shape and defensive organisation shows itself. Every tactic has it's flaws, but every top manager either shows their flexibility and willingness to adapt, or they fall by their own ego and stubbornness.

Its not really a one off when its been happening for months. It was the same as the last several games of 19/20, Europe, pre season, the Community Shield.

Chelsea will fuck us over next week.

Lampard also now hates our guts, he'll make sure all of their players are willing to die for the win. Let us pray some of them do.

I'm imagine the focus this week will be on the defence.

We'll need to play a little more cautiously considering the damage they did the night we lifted the trophy and their new signings.

In all seriousness, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way the midfield is set up at the minute.

Klopp once played Lallana and Gini as holding midfielders. It was a head scratcher but he liked two players infront of the back four who could turn on a six pence and quickly turn defense into attack.

As we've progressed that mantle has gone on to Henderson and Fabinho, who are alot more measured in the way they play, they can put their foot on the ball and slow things down when needed. But he doesn't play them as sitting midfielders in the traditional sense. He allows them to roam, he likes them to press higher up the pitch, to follow the ball, just as we do in attack, the higher the press, the better the chance of a turnover that becomes an attack. The closer to goal, the greater the threat etc.

I noticed people in the match thread yesterday complaining about Fabinho's exclusion. We've been shipping goals with Fab's in the team too. It's not a reflection of him, it just underlines the issue that we have in protecting our defense. We don't want to sacrifice something from attack, so we play that way and take the risk. Teams seem to have got on to the simple tactic of knocking the ball over our midfield, or over our defense. Punt a high ball behind the backline, to make the two covering defenders work, and guaranteed one of two chances will come from it. Exploit the gaps the fullbacks leave, put a play maker between our midfield and defense on the break with a runner ahead and it's too easy to exploit.

Klopp needs a rethink. Thiago won't solve it, because Klopp won't allow a player to just sit in front of the defense, it's not how he plays. Keita, Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Gini - all can do a job infront of the defense if they are disciplined by the tactics, but we have to cover ground, we have to crowd the ball and that's where a lack of shape and defensive organisation shows itself. Every tactic has it's flaws, but every top manager either shows their flexibility and willingness to adapt, or they fall by their own ego and stubbornness.

Its noticeable now that teams will instantly play long and try to isolate one of our back 4 into a 1 v 1 situation or agressively press the defender in possession. They have very little protection because we push so many players up that if we lose a 50/50 or one of our players gets dispossessed in our defensive third it almost always results in a very good chance.

Even Blackpool have figured this out, our defenders need to play at 100% every week in order not to get exposed. Thats not sustainable, and currently none of them look near 100%.

I think to an extent it's inevitable when a team will put 10 men (or near enough) behind the ball when you're in possession. The attacking team plays a high line to get the team forward and provide passing options in attack but are always going to leave space in behind for the opponents to counter.

City have the same issue. Moreso now that teams aren't quite as terrified of them.

The solution - easier said than done - is to get better in possession (this is where someone like Thiago might help) and be more ruthless with the chances you create (this is where a top class alternative in attack might help).

There was been a bit of a recurring theme of late where we rue missed chances. I don't know what the stats say but some of the decision making and finishing up front definitely feels like it could be improved upon.

Again, City have had the same problem. They still score a lot of goals but without Aguero they lack that ruthless finisher up front.

I think to an extent it's inevitable when a team will put 10 men (or near enough) behind the ball when you're in possession. The attacking team plays a high line to get the team forward and provide passing options in attack but are always going to leave space in behind for the opponents to counter.

City have the same issue. Moreso now that teams aren't quite as terrified of them.

The solution - easier said than done - is to get better in possession (this is where someone like Thiago might help) and be more ruthless with the chances you create (this is where a top class alternative in attack might help).

There was been a bit of a recurring theme of late where we rue missed chances. I don't know what the stats say but some of the decision making and finishing up front definitely feels like it could be improved upon.

Again, City have had the same problem. They still score a lot of goals but without Aguero they lack that ruthless finisher up front.

I'd say Sterling has gone someway to bridging that gap for them now though, they can pretty much rely on Sterling to score goals for them, and we all know how unpredictable his finishing was previously, but he definitely gives them a cutting edge now, with or without Aguero.

I'd say Sterling has gone someway to bridging that gap for them now though, they can pretty much rely on Sterling to score goals for them, and we all know how unpredictable his finishing was previously, but he definitely gives them a cutting edge now, with or without Aguero.
You're joking right? He's a flat track bully who fluffs it when the pressure is on.

This site is in the total shitter right now, everyone throwing shade on our World Champions and idolizing anyone who doesn't fall on their arse for someone else.

Definitely. As much as Bobby is integral to how we play and the success we've had, he's also culpable for a lot of our shortcomings in this area. No one is questioning his work ethic or skill, but at a certain point a striker needs to put the ball in the net.

Yesterday saw him dropping deep a lot and with our fullbacks playing fairly contained, the strategy was to spread the ball wide to Mane and Salah. But when Bobby found himself in the box with the ball nothing came of it.

You're joking right? He's a flat track bully who fluffs it when the pressure is on.

This site is in the total shitter right now, everyone throwing shade on our World Champions and idolizing anyone who doesn't fall on their arse for someone else.

If it's in the shitter, fuck off somewhere else.

First game. Three points.

the end

Way too soon so start reading into things

I'd normally agree (I was one of those dismissing the concerns people had at the back end of last season), but this team has been looking extremely vulnerable for months now.

Yeah Mane will surely be better next week and defending should gradually improve as well. The Chelsea game is a bit of a concern but they need to integrate like 15 new players and at least one is bound to fail massively, plus they will have to play one of their shit keepers so they can get fucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom