• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Leicester For The Title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

singlerider

Throbbing Member
A long term Chelsea fan - Jeremy Vine - had this to say on the prospect:

[article]
Dear Leicester City fan,

Can you take a moment to spare a thought for me, a beleaguered Chelsea supporter? I just saw my team fail to score against Watford. Let's put that in context: we are Premier League champions, and we cannot find the net at Watford. We don't even know where the net is. Eden Hazard ought to be wired up to a sat-nav.

So it has finally dawned on me. Chelsea are not going to be champions any more, maybe not for many years. I can now admit something I have been in total denial about. For the sake of my children I will keep pretending to believe - keep turning up at games and shout for Chelsea. But our campaign is over.

So at some point the question has to be answered. If Chelsea can't win the league, who do I want the crown to go to?

Today I tweeted a picture from my account, saying I want Leicester to win the league.

_88108218_vardy.jpg

And naturally I got abuse from the kind of people who lose their T-shirt as soon as they see a pint of real ale. "Plastic fan," replied someone with too much time on his hands, "u should only care about your team."

This is my reply: I do. But I want Leicester to win the Premier League because my team can't.

This week you took Liverpool apart.Your pair of Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez have 31 league goals between them, more than all the Reds combined. You are performing the kind of high-wire act not seen since the French daredevil Philippe Petit strung a cable between the Twin Towers and crossed it without a harness.

Every week we expect you to fall; to go down 7-0 like Gary Neville's Valencia just did. But every week you stay on that cable.

When you played us in December I totted up the total cost of your players. I made the total bill £23m. Chelsea's, by contrast, was £215m. I was so embarrassed I hid my jottings in a coat pocket. You then beat us 2-1, adding injury to insult and meaning your scoreline was 19 times times cheaper than ours on a pounds-per-goal basis.

I tuned into 5 live's 606 show that week and heard a Leicester dad called Lee weep on the line with Robbie Savage, who used to play in midfield for your team. The man cried as he described his beloved LCFC going from last to first in the league in just 12 months. "I'm welling up," he told Robbie. "This season is just unbelievable, pal."

_88108387_petit.jpg

Leicester, like Philippe Petit, have not faltered
His son, he explained, grew up with all his friends supporting teams like Manchester United, Arsenal and...Chelsea. He told his boy to hang in there with Leicester because one day things would turn. When the Foxes finally reached the summit of the Premier League, Lee said, "My son looked me in the eye and said: 'Dad, dad, amazing, absolutely amazing'."

Lee then told Robbie: "You can't tell me we haven't got a chance of winning the league."

The broadcaster replied: "Lee, how can I tell you that you can't win the league after that?" I seem to remember the man crying as he said goodbye.

So I am going to go even further than Robbie. Leicester fan, your team can win the league. You deserve to win it. You willwin it. And you will win it because I, and many thousands of others, are secretly willing you to, because it's the closest thing to Roy of the Rovers we've ever seen. You've made the teams we support look like a bunch of bungling amateurs, and, despite my pain, I love you for it.

Yours sincerely

Jeremy Vine[/article]

So what's your feelings on this?

Is it still too early to consider this as anything other than this season's surprise 'plucky' team topping the table before disappearing, or has their title bid taken on the veneer of plausibility?

Can they do it? Would you want them to?

I can't comment as to the former - I've seen zero football this season aside from some of our highlights.

As to the latter - surely they've got to be better than any of the usual suspects? There would be a certain element of wonder about it, no? The kind of story normally reserved for a non-league team's cup run or something. At the risk of being a touch hyperbolic, wouldn't it go a little way to restoring some faith in football - that you don't have to be bought out by an oil-rich oligarch to win things?

Too far in now to say they can't do it. And I'd definitely be happy for them. They probably won't, but they have a chance.

I don't. Us almost winning it has left a bitter taste for me, so if Liverpool didn't win it and Leicester managed by Claudio fucking Ranieri does, that would just be taking the piss.

Would rather Pellegrini win it on his way out to pile the pressure on Pep.

The only reason I'd want anyone else to win it is if Leicester dropped out of the top 4 and we had a shot at the CL slot. That's clearly not going to happen now so if it's out of them, Arsenal, City or Spurs I know which one I want.

As far as I can see the options are either want Leicester to do it or not give a shit who wins it. I'm in the first camp now but I respect the right of people if they want to be in camp 2. The miserable gits.

We need to get our house in order and to be honest not qualifying for Europe at all would give us a year of breathing room for Klopp to have time to (a) build the right squad and (b) have the time he needs to train them as he wants so we'd have a pretty good crack next season. If we do win the Joker Cola Cup then I hope that Klopp plays the youngsters in the EL next season.

As far as football achievements go - how high would it be in the history of football? I would say pretty close to the greatest achievement in football history, especially considering expectations back in August.

Teams can fluke a cup competition by getting lucky in a short run of games, and you see that every now and then (Greece at the Euro's, Wigan FA Cup win etc). But for Leicester to finish top of the premiership in a 38 game season would be an astounding achievement.

I wouldn't mind them winning it at all. Ranieri looks a proper gent - one of the genuine nice guys in football.

The only reason I'd want anyone else to win it is if Leicester dropped out of the top 4 and we had a shot at the CL slot. That's clearly not going to happen now so if it's out of them, Arsenal, City or Spurs I know which one I want.

As far as I can see the options are either want Leicester to do it or not give a shit who wins it. I'm in the first camp now but I respect the right of people if they want to be in camp 2. The miserable gits.

We need to get our house in order and to be honest not qualifying for Europe at all would give us a year of breathing room for Klopp to have time to (a) build the right squad and (b) have the time he needs to train them as he wants so we'd have a pretty good crack next season. If we do win the Joker Cola Cup then I hope that Klopp plays the youngsters in the EL next season.

Do we not already automatically qualify for the Europa by default, because City will almost certainly make it into the Champions League? I could be wrong though.

I want Leicester to win it, at least I can't fucking stand Arsenal, City nor Spurs so...

Anyway... it would be the greatest football story i'd ever seen if they were too...

I want us to finish outside the EL however, it's a fucking millstone of a tournament, unless of course we win it this season which would mean CL no??

They've got City away and Arsenal away in their next two games.
If they're top after those games I'll believe they can win it.

Would love Leicester since we cannot to but still unlikely. Hate to see the likes of Chelsea or Spurs or Arsener or City or worst Man U win it.

We had a run in 2 years ago but failed at the last hurdle. And we were arguably the most dangerous front-line then.

If (and it's an almighty if) they do manage it, I'm not sure if that's A) great, because it means that even though we don't have funds the likes of Citeh or Chelsea, we can still compete, or B) shit, because we've got funds far in excess of Leicester, but we still can't compete.

Too early to tell yet I think . . .

They haven't had the respect they deserve for what they've done this season. It hasn't all been about Vardy. Good luck to them, I really hope they do it.

They probably need to win 10 more games. Not impossible but very difficult. If they do then it is then it is the greatest achievement in football history. It would be like a team like Celta Vigo won the Spanish league.

As far as football achievements go - how high would it be in the history of football? I would say pretty close to the greatest achievement in football history, especially considering expectations back in August.

Teams can fluke a cup competition by getting lucky in a short run of games, and you see that every now and then (Greece at the Euro's, Wigan FA Cup win etc). But for Leicester to finish top of the premiership in a 38 game season would be an astounding achievement.

I wouldn't mind them winning it at all. Ranieri looks a proper gent - one of the genuine nice guys in football.
I think, galling as it is to admit, Clough with Forest is there too. Not least cos they went on to win two European cups.

Of course, the playing field is even more imbalanced than it was now. There is no way this should have happened.

Part of me is exceptionally pissed off. Seriously. I've been on the verge of apoplexy when I stop to think about how bad our luck has been. Had we had that season with Suarez this season we'd have destroyed the league, & it makes me angry.

Part of me is made up for them though. Maybe it's an English thing, but we always want to root for the underdog. Making sure that none of the teams I detest win it is an added bonus.

I'm conflicted, but should they win it then they've done it cos they've been more consistent than any other team in the league, & done so with a tiny (relatively speaking) budget & against all odds.

It's hard, no, nigh on impossible, to begrudge them that.

I'm bit pissed off because we would have had a very good chance to win it if Klopp had joined us a few months earlier. Will be much more difficult next season.

They deserve to, they've been the most consistent, entertaining and difficult to beat. Which is everything a title winner should be.

Im torn on this.
One side of me hopes they win it, because FUCK Arsenal and City right in the ass.

However. If Leicester win the league what does that say about us and the hundreds and hundreds of millions and the 8 managers we have had over the past 30 fucking years when a team who were bottom 12 months ago can win the league.
It makes us all the more tragic and me all the more bitter. I can handle Chelsea and City winning the league because they are so much richer than us, but Leicester!! Bun that.

Im torn on this.
One side of me hopes they win it, because FUCK Arsenal and City right in the ass.

However. If Leicester win the league what does that say about us and the hundreds and hundreds of millions and the 8 managers we have had over the past 30 fucking years when a team who were bottom 12 months ago can win the league.
It makes us all the more tragic and me all the more bitter. I can handle Chelsea and City winning the league because they are so much richer than us, but Leicester!! Bun that.

Hopefully it makes us wake the fuck up, quit being amateur wankers, and believe.

Leicester are a amazingly hard working team. They keep going for 90 minutes and it's paid them dividends. Quite a few teams could learn from them not least our weak arse bunch of bellends. Actually, fuck that, our players just aren't good enough

I don't. Us almost winning it has left a bitter taste for me, so if Liverpool didn't win it and Leicester managed by Claudio fucking Ranieri does, that would just be taking the piss.

Yup. If we'd already won it ourselves then yeah you can be all magnanimous and let the little underdogs have their moment of glory. But we haven't. We've had 20 odd years of disappointment and I want to see their title campaign smashed to little pieces. Bitter? Yup!

Hmm. An interesting opinion and one that has plenty of merit. I shall go along with this. Although....Sterling. Hmmm.
I was thinking along similar lines when I considering Spurs and their title chances.

But Leicester winning it wouldn't be like us winning it - or nearly winning it - it would be totally astounding and never repeated.

I'm not sure now.

Leicester are a amazingly hard working team. They keep going for 90 minutes and it's paid them dividends. Quite a few teams could learn from them not least our weak arse bunch of bellends. Actually, fuck that, our players just aren't good enough

Neither were their players last season. Vardy scored 5 Premiership goals. Mahrez less.

There hasn't been a huge overhaul of the team really, the obvious major addition being the brilliant Kante in defensive midfield. Who I would love to see playing for Liverpool.

Neither were their players last season. Vardy scored 5 Premiership goals. Mahrez less.

There hasn't been a huge overhaul of the team really, the obvious major addition being the brilliant Kante in defensive midfield. Who I would love to see playing for Liverpool.

Fair point. It does show what a change in attitude and belief can do though also. I remember earlier this season even when we beat them at our place they kept fighting for it right up to the end whistle. It was pretty admirable. I just can't see any of our players putting in that kind of shift. If they can't do it under Klopp I'd make the assumption they can't do it. Can you see Benstatue chasing and harrying players for 90 minutes? Henderson bullying the midfield? Our defence owning the field ? I just can't see it.

Top in Feb means they've got to be considered contenders now. Will be interesting to see how that added pressure affects them.

^ ^ ^ This.

Fair point. It does show what a change in attitude and belief can do though also. I remember earlier this season even when we beat them at our place they kept fighting for it right up to the end whistle. It was pretty admirable. I just can't see any of our players putting in that kind of shift. If they can't do it under Klopp I'd make the assumption they can't do it. Can you see Benstatue chasing and harrying players for 90 minutes? Henderson bullying the midfield? Our defence owning the field ? I just can't see it.

It is pretty remarkable, yeah. But it isn't something that they, or anyone else, will be able to replicate. Everything just seems to be clicking; no injuries, players in brilliant form, every shot going in. Vardy had never scored a goal from outside the area until this week. Kante has made a huge difference in midfield, but it's Mahrez and Vardy who have won the games. One thing Vardy has always had is amazing pace, energy and work rate, even when he wasn't scoring goals.

As for our team, well, we all know where the deficiencies are. But we never seem to be able to fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom