• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"Like a new signing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

It's now only ever said sarcastically, but actually Naby is going to be just that next season – because if he keeps playing at this level and stays fit, we have a brand new top-class box-to-box midfielder. Easily one of our top 3 players since the restart. His trademark gliding forward with the ball is something none of our other midfielders can do – but what heartens me is that he has seemed to learn to do simple things consistently well. And because he's no longer worried about doing the basics wrong, we're finally starting to see the creativity and swagger shine through and it's quite a sight.

The only negative observation in the past few weeks has been that he starts games very brightly, but then kind of fades away and gets subbed. With a good pre-season under his belt, hopefully that aspect can be improved as well.

Last edited:
If he can stay fit then we've finally got a top player on our hands. Genuinely didn't think we'd ever see him at this level and you're right, it actually might be the 'signing' we need to kick on. He's the only one there that can unpick a defence, you can see now that he's streets ahead of Ox in terms of natural ability carrying the ball forward under pressure. He's what we've needed since Coutinho left, it's just taken him 2 years to show up, but now that he has he potentially has a lot more to his game. He works harder, presses better, can tackle well, and doesn't lose the ball. These were all massive flaws in Coutinho's game that we forgave because once every few weeks he'd score from 30 yards - and because back then we thought we could afford one player who worked outside the system. Klopp clearly thinks not, you need it all, and that's why he's been patient. Just turned 25, he should be improving for the next few years. Really hope he can keep this momentum into the new season.

High hopes for Jones and Brewster too.

Hes probably been our best player since the restart. Thats not a huge accolade given how patchy we have been but he has done whats been asked of him and you cant ask any more than that. Hes grown into the team and he has made a genuine case to start ahead of Wjinaldum next season as Gini has dipped performance wise. Fair play to him I thought he was dead cert to leave this summer.

He needs to work on his stamina as he seems to fade around the 60 min mark and get subbed off but hes definitely putting the pieces together.

He's been absolutely fantastic, I think a lot of it has to do with him finally adapting into the core social group at the club as opposed to being Manes shadow. That's really important for a players confidence, which was clearly his biggest issue outside of injuries, and that remains my only concern with him, he's clearly ready to make a mark next season, but if he picks up another of his niggling injuries, that could knock this all back.

He's been absolutely fantastic, I think a lot of it has to do with him finally adapting into the core social group at the club as opposed to being Manes shadow. That's really important for a players confidence, which was clearly his biggest issue outside of injuries, and that remains my only concern with him, he's clearly ready to make a mark next season, but if he picks up another of his niggling injuries, that could knock this all back.

On a side note, I think this is Minamino's biggest issue right now, he cast a sad lonely figure last night.

It's great to see him grow in confidence and impact like this. I don't think anyone doubted his ability, but it was a long wait to see him do the business in a decent run of games. He looks different now - much more of a part of the team, more vocal, more comfortable. And the time he makes for himself in tight situations, that's hugely impressive.

Naby
Jones
Elliot
Williams
Minamino
Grujic?
Brewster?

7 potential "new signings" that excite me more than links to players I've never heard of or ones were unlikely to get.

Naby
Jones
Elliot
Williams
Minamino
Grujic?
Brewster?

7 potential "new signings" that excite me more than links to players I've never heard of or ones were unlikely to get.
Add a left back and a wing-forward and I'm with you.

Dreamy's manner of describing his opinion and his opinion on Naby is what led me to need a break from the former. I try not to get sucked into arguments but I love Naby as a player that much that I did over him. I wish I had the skill to even emulate him on the pitch.

I love Keita and always wanted him to succeed, despite the stop/start nature of his time with us so far ... but then I'm like that with any signing. He has shown that, when fit, he is very very good. so I hope the fitness issues are now in the past.

I am a bit worried about his fading late on in games, though. He needs to build up his stamina to last the 90 minuets to command a regular place .. though I guess having 5 subs may mitigate against that for a while

Really interesting to watch the dynamics of 'the core social group' last night....and clear to see the inner circle vs the outsiders! Naby looks like he's grown in confidence and is part of that now.

I imagine the biggest issue is the language factor for Minamino right now but hopefully he'll come good and prove himself

I read somewhere that this was his first goal from outside the box for Liverpool – out of 17 attempts. I believe this can be huge for his confidence; he used to score quite a few belters in Leipzig and here they were just not going in. Having Fabinho, Ox and now Keita all confident in their ball-striking ability will relieve some of the pressure on the front 3.

Dreamy's manner of describing his opinion and his opinion on Naby is what led me to need a break from the former. I try not to get sucked into arguments but I love Naby as a player that much that I did over him. I wish I had the skill to even emulate him on the pitch.

His obvious talent is the biggest frustration, he has all the things that are hard to have and falls down in some of the simple stuff.
I’d love to see him become a superstar.

He's had some good games since the restart and looks physically stronger and more confident on the pitch, but forgive me for not getting carried away just yet. Needs to carry this form well into next season before I change my mind on him.

Last edited:
Really interesting to watch the dynamics of 'the core social group' last night....and clear to see the inner circle vs the outsiders! Naby looks like he's grown in confidence and is part of that now.

I imagine the biggest issue is the language factor for Minamino right now but hopefully he'll come good and prove himself

He just looked very Japanese I thought. Totally unable to process the chaos around him. He looked like the opposite of Bill Murray in Lost in Translation when he’s bowed to every morning in the Hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom