• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish hails Pepe Reina as the best keeper around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jürgen4PM

Well-Known
Apr 16 2011
by James Pearce, Liverpool Echo

KENNY DALGLISH has underlined Pepe Reina’s importance to Liverpool by insisting he’s the best keeper in the business ahead of tomorrow’s clash with Arsenal.

The Spaniard was unhappy with his form earlier in the season after he made some high profile errors, most notably when he conceded a late own goal to help the Gunners rescue a point at Anfield on the opening weekend.

However, Reina has been back to his best in recent weeks and goes into the game at the Emirates on the back of six clean sheets in the last 10 league games.

“I’ve always believed that if Pepe is not the best in the Premier League or even in football then whoever has someone better than him is very fortunate,†Dalglish said.

“I’ve not seen anyone better than him. I don’t think I can improve on that statement.â€

Reina’s future is the subject of speculation with Arsenal among a number of clubs believed to be chasing his signature this summer.

The shot-stopper, who has made 303 appearances for the Reds since arriving from Villarreal for £6million in 2005, recently said: “I can’t swear eternal love to anyone†and urged the club’s owners to match his ambition.†Liverpool hope the progress they have made under Dalglish over the past three months will help convince Reina to stay at Anfield.

And the manager insists he has no reason to believe the 28-year-old is looking for a new challenge.

“I think what Pepe said before was lost in translation,†he added.

“I can’t speak for Pepe Reina on how he believes it’s gone.

“I can only tell you how myself personally and the club as a whole feels about him.

“Whether he thinks the club is moving in a good direction or a bad direction is up to him.

“But he doesn’t look too unhappy to me.â€

Reina has broken a string of club records to put him in the same bracket as Anfield great Ray Clemence. However, Dalglish says it’s difficult to make comparisons.

“I don’t think you can cross paths – it’s all about the time you played,†he said.

“Clem was one of the best when he played and this boy probably is the best when he plays.

“I don’t thik it’s fair to compare the two. But I certainly won’t be picking Clem for Sunday because he’s 60-odd!â€

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=44979.msg1316304#msg1316304 date=1302952604]
"Lost in translation"

Haha, riiight.
[/quote]

He probably meant context, probably..... hopefully???

I doubt it TBH. Kenny's sharp as a tack. He knew it was bullsh!t, just as he did when he smoothed over the damage done by Hodgson when asked about that. His purpose in both cases was to give things time and space to settle down, so they can be dealt with quietly.

But Kenny also says this:

“Whether he thinks the club is moving in a good direction or a bad direction is up to him.

“But he doesn’t look too unhappy to me.â€

Doesn't seem very convincing to me that Reina has given assurances that he'll stay.

In any case, fuck the pandering to these so-called stars who give veiled threats about leaving because we can't compete and all that shit. If they're unhappy and want to leave, sell them for the best price we can get and the club still continues. It's time we stopped groveling to these prima donnas. The last guy who thought he went to heaven is doing remarkably well.

Pepe Reina claims he has a point to prove next season - and that many of his teammates feel the same way.

"I know I could play a lot better," said the 28-year-old, who has appeared 305 times for Liverpool since arriving from Villarreal in 2005.

"Throughout the whole year my levels must improve. I am looking forward to the next one to prove myself again. I think, as a squad, we all feel the same - as individuals and as a group.

"Nobody is the perfect player - you are always learning. I have played 450 games, which is a lot for someone my age. I am happy but I would like to play another 450 games at the highest level."

A 5-0 thumping of Birmingham City of Saturday left Liverpool three points shy of a Europa League spot - though Tottenham have a game in hand.

Reina knows the Reds have momentum after scoring in 16 successive league games since the turn of the year.

He believes securing continental football for 2011-12 would have many benefits.

"Sometimes you hear people talk about the Europa League," he said. "They say there is no point being in it, but I think the competition has helped our youngsters; Martin Kelly, Jay Spearing, Danny Wilson.

"Maybe they wouldn't be ready to play in the Premier League now if they hadn't experienced the minutes in Europe.

"Probably one of the biggest positives of this season is seeing young players like these. Players with big futures get a chance and prove themselves.

"That is why until the end of the season we will fight."

At 28, Reina is still considered a youngster in the goalkeeping fraternity, but that's not to say he hasn't given some thought to life after football.

"I will always be involved in the game - coaching, media, whatever," he said. "I know there have been few goalkeepers to become top managers, which is strange because they spend so much time trying to watch the game, concentrating.

"Maybe it's because we dive too much during our playing careers - suffer knocks. Afterwards we want to play golf and relax a little. But I am not like that. I like golf, but I like football more."

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=44979.msg1322351#msg1322351 date=1303896882]
said the 28-year-old, who has appeared 305 times for Liverpool since arriving from Villarreal in 2005.
[/quote]

Fuck me, thats insane <3 Pepe

Although I still pissed at Pepe for holding us to ransom, I'm encouraged by his newly found commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom