• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool, Wataru upto?

At City he's mostly done it with good not great footballers like B Silva, Mahrez, Grealish etc.

Just because City pay top dollar for them, doesn't mean they're actually world class talents. City have never had any more world class actual individuals than we have. They just combine players of a similar overall quality to better effect than we do.

City had world class players for the way they played and we had world class players for the way we played.

I don't think the players we had would have been as effective playing tippy tappy under Guardiola and vice versa.

Busted up play, played it simple to the creators. Did his job, and didn't look out of place.

A decent rest period after a hectic transfer schedule and a weeks coaching for the Newcastle game and he'll be good to go.

Wataru worried about?

City had world class players for the way they played and we had world class players for the way we played.

I don't think the players we had would have been as effective playing tippy tappy under Guardiola and vice versa.

The way that we play(ed) doesn't require world class players in certain positions, it requires energy.

Robertson was absolutely fundamental to all our success, for example. He's a tremendous fullback. He also has no right foot at all, and is shocking in goalscoring positions with his feet.

No one around the world thinks Robertson is world class. We have as his backup someone even more limited. We have as back up to Trent, nobody.

The less energy that we have the more technique we need. This is why slobbers is such a great buy, as he has both. It's why mane was our best forward. It's also why we could use a young energetic dm.

I thought prime Robertson became world class.
When I compare the attributes of Roberson and other top LBs around 2018-2021 , Robbo was ahead of Alba and Davies. The Barca Semi matchup was great to see these contrasting LBs on show. Actually he is the best LB I have probably seen in the last 10yrs, just phenomenol. I can’t think of too many.
Obviously dropped off now but that’s expected.

I was there. Saw it right in front of me. Thought it was a free kick in fairness. But that was his first “welcome to the Premier League”..
Wasn't a foul... Just got surrounded and lost the ball. If anything he was weak in that instant and fell over easily... Overall was probably a good baptism getting 30 minutes with us down to 10 men. Will definitely need him to start against Newcastle...

Half the battle is Peps football requires less energy off the ball. They can keep the ball for 70 percent of the game, less injuries, less pressing, less sprints. They don't need to be up for it every single game. They can just robotically go out and pass the opposition to death. Peps football is more like AI than anything human.

That is all I'm saying.

It's not a criticism of Robertson really. I just think that we had a great team. In a great team you end up with players playing beyond themselves.

Yes. Robertson was almost certainly the most effective left back in the world during our (and his) peak.

But I've never thought he'd be anywhere near that notable playing for anyone else.

That's not intended to discredit him but we really had a squad and tactics to amplify the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of every player.

From the Athletic

“Asked when he was first aware that Liverpool wanted him, he said: “It was only three or four days ago. It happened so fast.

“My agent called me and I had to decide quickly. I couldn’t say no because to play in the Premier League was always my dream. I would always tell my agent I wanted to play in the Premier League for a top, top team, so here I am!

“I was getting ready to play in the Bundesliga. Now I’m playing here at Anfield in the Premier League in front of all these fans, it is crazy.

“I only had time for one training session so I just tried to get ready as best I could. I am an experienced player, so I needed to accept and deal with the situation.”

Endo has sought advice from former Liverpool attacker Takumi Minamino and Arsenal’s Takehiro Tomiyasu, two of his international team-mates, about what to expect at Anfield.

“Yesterday I talked with Taki about how the team is,” he said. “And also Tomiyasu about how the Premier League is, things like that.”

Endo came off the bench shortly after the hour mark on Saturday following an eventful few minutes which saw Alexis Mac Allister sent off and Diogo Jota fire Liverpool into a 3-1 lead.

ADVERTISEMENT

“It was amazing to play here — a great feeling, a great atmosphere, to warm up and hear the fans chanting my name. They made such a special atmosphere and I so happy to play at Anfield,” he added.

“The manager just told me to play like I did in the Bundesliga, and try to do it like I have always done it. Physically, it was more difficult than the Bundesliga. Premier League teams have some very strong players so yeah there is a big difference.

The tempo is faster too. Here I will have to play more one touch football for example. I need to change the mindset, and adapt to play as a No 6 here.

“I need to keep working hard. I need time to do it better and adapt to the physicality but for me it is a great step I think.”

To me, he doesn't look like he will physically dominate players, but his reading of the game is excellent and he's quick to snap into a challenge or interception, which is just as useful to us, we have neither type really. But ideally we need the option of a double pivot with someone big and athletic. I think he can do alot of what Macca does at the minute for us, so he gives you the double pivot option and also is a viable alternative to Macca - good centre of gravity, great balance, quick on the turn and an eye for a quick pass on the break, more like a lot of what Gini used to provide for us.

Last edited:
To me, he doesn't look like he will physically dominate players, but his reading of the game is excellent and he's quick to snap into a challenge or interception, which is just as useful to us, we have neither really. But ideally we need the option of a double pivot with someone big and athletic. I think he can do alot of what Macca does at the minute for us, so he gives you the double pivot option and also is a viable alternative to Macca - good centre of gravity, great balance, quick on the turn and an eye for a quick pass on the break, more like a lot of what Gini used to provide for us.
The only thing I could tell from his first game is that Endo keeps it simple. He doesn't hound players like Mascherano, he just uses his vision and positioning to make sure he's in the right position to cut passing lanes or disrupt the opposition in other ways.
He's not afraid of fouling players either. Saw that a few times against Bournemouth.

You can tell he's a natural leader. Also the comments about his physicality - it isn't all about being the tallest or having the most mass. The clips show him to be able to very quickly turn on the ball under pressure, hold off players, keep a low centre of gravity. I think he'll be surprisingly strong on and off the ball, with a few surprises in aerial battles against opposition AMs & attackers.

Hasnt he won the most headers in the Bundesliga since 20/21 or something? I'm not worried about his size at all.

Edit:

Since the start of the 2020-21 Bundesliga season, Endo ranks first for possession won in the defensive third (254), most aerial duels won (219), most clearances (175) and most headed clearances (105)

Last edited:
At City he's mostly done it with good not great footballers like B Silva, Mahrez, Grealish etc.

Just because City pay top dollar for them, doesn't mean they're actually world class talents. City have never had any more world class actual individuals than we have. They just combine players of a similar overall quality to better effect than we do.
I also believe that each Man City player roughly knows what his job and his position is, with and without the ball. I’m not sure our always do. But that’s Klopp’s way— man loves a risk.

Last edited:
I also believe that each Man City player roughly knows what his job and his position is, with and without the ball. I’m not sure our always do. But that’s Klopp’s way— man loves a risk.

We had the most organise defence at its peak. More offsides caught, least conceded from set-pieces and all that.

Also a press isn't just the players working hard. There's a method to it and everybody needs to know their jobs for it to be effective. Nunez works hard but I suspect it's this aspect which is why he isn't starting many games currently.

You do make a good point about each Man City player roughly knowing his position. Ours needed to be flexible. Again the reason for that is City can afford two top for each position whereas we couldn't.

As I said winning Guardiola's way is simply the most expensive

We had the most organise defence at its peak. More offsides caught, least conceded from set-pieces and all that.

Also a press isn't just the players working hard. There's a method to it and everybody needs to know their jobs for it to be effective. Nunez works hard but I suspect it's this aspect which is why he isn't starting many games currently.

You do make a good point about each Man City player roughly knowing his position. Ours needed to be flexible. Again the reason for that is City can afford two top for each position whereas we couldn't.

As I said winning Guardiola's way is simply the most expensive

Is it balls.

Possession football needs less playing resource than the high octane stuff Klopp favours.

The brutal truth is that the main reason City have dominated the last 5 years is that they have the best coach.

Is it balls.

Possession football needs less playing resource than the high octane stuff Klopp favours.

The brutal truth is that the main reason City have dominated the last 5 years is that they have the best coach.

If you don't count technical ability as a playing resource then fair enough

Given that Klopp - with a far inferior squad (emphasis on squad - if we compare best player in each positions I think it's close, but they can put out a second string team that's better than most people's first teams) has run City close on a number of occasions, I just don't think that's true.

Guardiola is a fantastic coach, no doubt - but to claim that's he's the *main* reason, as opposed to the number of quality players at his disposal, just doesn't track for me

Given that Klopp - with a far inferior squad (emphasis on squad - if we compare best player in each positions I think it's close, but they can put out a second string team that's better than most people's first teams) has run City close on a number of occasions, I just don't think that's true.

Guardiola is a fantastic coach, no doubt - but to claim that's he's the *main* reason, as opposed to the number of quality players at his disposal, just doesn't track for me

It's a combo for me. I think Guardiola and Klopp are pretty even overall, despite vastly different tactical and motivational approaches.

And given their different styles, I'm not sure either would do as well if their clubs/resources were switched.

Klopp likes to ride or die with his chosen 11. Guardiola likes to tinker and isn't afraid to upset players. Not sure how Pep would do with limited resources or how Klopp would do with managing a larger cast of egos.

Both brilliant, both have changed modern club management.

Only one is a confirmed dog shagger though.

Is it balls.

When klopp took over and said he was happy with all the great players we had, he was lying.

It's a combo for me. I think Guardiola and Klopp are pretty even overall, despite vastly different tactical and motivational approaches.

And given their different styles, I'm not sure either would do as well if their clubs/resources were switched.

Klopp likes to ride or die with his chosen 11. Guardiola likes to tinker and isn't afraid to upset players. Not sure how Pep would do with limited resources or how Klopp would do with managing a larger cast of egos.

Both brilliant, both have changed modern club management.

Only one is a confirmed dog shagger though.

I think if it was a straight swap team for team, then as you say - not sure either would get the best out of that set of players.

But if Klopp was given the same kitty as Pep has had, and allowed to spend to his heart's content, I think we'd be celebrating more league titles and a quadruple to boot

Klopp speaks so positively of everything/everyone it's hard to tell when/whether he means it :p

[article]
"What does he bring? He's a really good footballer – I think we all agree on that.

"He had a very exciting career already and still pretty young, so in the best age for a footballer or coming into the best age for a footballer.

"He gives rhythm, he can give rhythm, he's a really good passer, has speed with the ball, safe on the ball and, how I said, can demand rhythm, which is pretty important, really good in tight areas – all these kind of things. I like it a lot.
[/article]

Back
Top Bottom