• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool's Summer Transfers : Speculation & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harvey has looked very average to me. He used to have that arrogance to try a dribble or try a difficult pass when he just arrived. That's gone now.

Jones looks the real deal instead.

Isn’t there a good few years between them?

Isn’t there a good few years between them?
Exactly. Neither are the finished article obviously but Elliot isn't 18 for another 6 months (Jones will be 20 in January). I can't believe anyone would criticise either of them at this stage of their development but particularly a 17 year old.

Blackburn have a decent similar prospect in Dolan who plays a similar role and will surely get prioritised. It's a decent move for Elliott, but I'll be curious to see their plans for him.

Blackburn have a decent similar prospect in Dolan who plays a similar role and will surely get prioritised. It's a decent move for Elliott, but I'll be curious to see their plans for him.

I think Klopp has being playing Elliot out wide to protect him a bit. I can see him as a central midfielder; he has the physique, the ability and hopefully the vision. I hope Blackburn give him a chance in CM because from the few glimpses we've had I see him as a more central midfield type of player than wide right attacker.

I think it's mainly down to Shaqiri staying, hence less chance for getting more minutes on Elliott's side. While this window has been decent in terms of incoming, I have a feeling there's some frustration regarding getting rid of the lesser needed players like Wilson, Woodburn etc and loans were the least preferred outcome.

[article]Cardiff City FC are delighted to announce that Harry Wilson has joined on a season-long loan deal from Liverpool, subject to completion of paperwork and international clearance.
Last term, Harry spent the campaign with AFC Bournemouth in the Premier League, hitting the net seven times in 31 league outings. Outside of club football, Wilson is Wales’ youngest ever international - making his debut for Cymru in 2013 at the age of 16 years and 207 days. The 23-year-old was involved in Wales’ recent internationals against Ireland and Bulgaria. To date, he has scored three times for his country.

His first Championship test came during a six month spell with Hull City in 2018. Wilson scored seven goals in 13 appearances for the Tigers - winning the EFL Championship PFA Player of the Month for April.

The following season, after signing a new five-year deal with Liverpool, he linked up with Derby County - and netted 18 goals in all competitions for the Rams, including 15 in the league and a 30-yard free kick against Manchester United at Old Trafford in the EFL Cup.

Speaking upon signing at CCS, Harry said: “I’m looking forward to getting started here. We had a few clubs enquire about me but as soon as I heard Cardiff were interested it was a place I wanted to come.

“The Welsh connection was a massive part for me. When I come here, I feel at home. I think the team and facilities we have, everything is built for a Premier League team.

“I’m determined to come here and do my best to help the Club get there.”[/article]

[article]
Cardiff City might have to pay three times their original loan fee for Harry Wilson if they earn promotion to the Premier League this season.

The Liverpool winger made the switch to south Wales on deadline day, although WalesOnline claim the deal cost Cardiff less than expected.

The Bluebirds paid less than the £1.2m asking price, but agreed to increase the loan fee if they are promoted from the Championship.

Cardiff are believed to be paying £60,000 a week towards Wilson’s Liverpool wages.
[/article]

I said before I was amazed that the club released that video of Pep chatting to Harvey Elliott. It's not that I don't think he's a terrific prospect (I do), but I can't think of another example of such 'in-house' hype ever. It struck me as really odd. He needs games, that's clear, so this should help. Good luck to him.

Last edited:

[article]Harvey Elliott believes a similar style of play to Liverpool will see him settle in quickly at Rovers.

Jurgen Klopp’s side romped to the Premier League title last season using a 4-3-3 formation, and pressing style, that Rovers have looked to replicate in the early weeks of this campaign.

It has had plenty of success, despite the weekend defeat to Nottingham Forest that 17-year-old Elliot watched from the stands after his deadline day switch.

Rovers approached Liverpool about a potential switch on Friday, but the final decision on whether to make the move came down to the teenager who has made nine first-team appearances for the Reds.

He was left with the decision of trying to get regular games at Rovers, or push for more first-team opportunities at Liverpool, and the England youth international feels he’s made the right call as he targets making a big impression at Ewood Park.

“The style of play is very similar to what I’m used to. It’s a team that press well, play out from the back and allow players to play with freedom really," he explained.

“I’m excited and hopefully I can fit in well here. My main priority is about working hard for the team. I think every player needs that work and desire for the team.

“I’m creative and want to give this my best shot for the team and the gaffer.

“Rovers is my club, I need to work hard and I will be doing all I can to help us back to the Premier League.”

Elliott was Rovers’ fourth deadline day signing, arriving on a season-long loan, and is the latest sign of a growing connection between the two clubs.

Rovers hosted Liverpool in a pre-season friendly in 2018, with the Reds returning the favour in June when they met in a behind-closed-doors fixture building up to the re-start of the last campaign in which they were crowned Premier League champions.

Elliott, who featured in that match, had done his research on Rovers prior to the loan which is the first of his career.

And he’s set his sights on helping the club achieve their Premier League goal during his time in East Lancashire.

“I can’t wait to get started and I’d like to thank Rovers for giving me the opportunity to come here and show everyone what I can do,” he told the club in his first interview.

“It’s a really good club and I’m really looking forward to getting started with the team. It’s been a hectic last couple of days not knowing what I’d be doing, but I’m really happy to be here.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting the boys and working with the gaffer and the staff.

“I was excited when I heard of the interest. I wanted to see what the club was all about so I watched a couple of games and researched everything about the club and the squad, to see the competition in my position.

“Hopefully we can reach the end goal by getting promoted to the Premier League.”[/article]

[article]The father of Sporting CP winger Joelson Fernandes claims that Liverpool held three meetings over a potential transfer this summer.

Eusebio Mango Fernandes, who also manages the teenager, claims several major clubs wanted to sign his son.

In an interview with Guinean outlet Jornal O Democrata e Mídia, as cited by Rousing The Kop, Fernandes Sr. claims he had bids from big clubs.

He states that Ajax offered £900,000, Liverpool £2.7m, Manchester City £4m, PSG £4.5m and then Arsenal, who showed the biggest interest, went big at £18m.

However, Fernandes Jnr opted to stay at Sporting instead.

The report adds that the Anfield outfit offered more than just a fee, having also held three meetings with the youngster. They were also the only club named to have done so.[/article]

Ozan Kabak linked with us again, for quoted fee of £27m. Schalke might be one of the few sides willing to do business in Jan.

Ozan Kabak linked with us again, for quoted fee of £27m. Schalke might be one of the few sides willing to do business in Jan.

£27 is probably on the high side but I guess any club we are doing business with will know we are over a barrel.

£27 is probably on the high side but I guess any club we are doing business with will know we are over a barrel.
There are quite a few players whose contracts end in 2021, players that could tide the team over till the summer. J.Boatang, Mendi, and Maksimovic

[article]Borussia Mönchengladbach star Marcus Thuram was a target for Liverpool in the summer transfer window.

That’s according to Movistar commentator Alain Valnegri, who backs up claims from earlier this year that the Reds were looking at the Frenchman.

Liverpool were determined to add to their forward line this summer and provide much-needed competition for the likes of Sadio Mané, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino.

Ultimately they secured a deal for Wolves star Diogo Jota, but before that deal was completed they were linked to several forwards around Europe.

One of them was Thuram, who has emerged as one of the hot properties in Europe after breaking through in France in 2017/18.

That year saw him scoring four goals and registering three assists for Guingamp, a tally he bettered the following year with 13 goals and one assist in all competitions.

That earned him a move to Borussia Mönchengladbach where he has continued to impress, scoring 14 goals and registering nine assists in all competitions last season.

Indeed, those performances appeared to have earned him interest from the Premier League, with Liverpool and Manchester United both linked in March.

Valnegri has now backed up those claims, at least in terms of the Premier League champions, claiming he was an option this summer.

“For me, Marcus is destined for a top club. He already sounded for Liverpool this summer,” he told El País.

“He has skill, he shoots, he’s a huge power, he’s a dribbler, and he moves well in tight spaces.

“He’s always been a left-winger, but in Germany, he’s started to get behind the front, and coming up from the second line he is very dangerous.

“He has improved a lot in his finishing, although he still lacks the malice of the great forwards. And he must also make progress in the air.

“With that physical power, he could be dominant and allow him to act as an offensive terminal, Lukaku style.”[/article]

David Alaba being touted about as Jan signing if not in the summer. Personally, I would go for Boatang as a short term option

[article]Liverpool have added Ajax forward Antony to their list of attacking targets as he continues his rapid rise, according to a report.

The Brazilian starlet has made a bright start to life in Europe since joining Ajax in 2020. He has already scored four goals and added two assists in his first seven games in the Eredivisie.

Antony effectively replaced Hakim Ziyech at the Amsterdam club after the Moroccan joined Chelsea this summer. He is already stepping up to the task.

Ajax has proven to be something of a stepping stone for promising players in recent years, and it appears Antony could be the next player to follow that path.

According to Don Balon, Liverpool are keeping a watchful eye on Antony’s development. They reportedly believe the youngster could become a long-term successor to Sadio Mane or Mohamed Salah.

Antony is capable of playing on either wing, so could provide cover for both players. And with Virgil van Dijk’s injury showing Liverpool the importance of depth, Jurgen Klopp could be looking for additional reinforcements up front.

The report claims Liverpool could even act in January to sign Antony. However, Ajax are looking to double their investment on the 20-year-old, and so will ask for at least €30m.

Don Balon claim Liverpool could insert a player into any potential deal as a counterpart, but do not specify who could move in that direction.

Antony has already received 14 caps for the Brazil under-23 national team, scoring six goals for them. He remains under contract with Ajax until 2025, but could leave before then if he continues his progress.[/article]

Yep, and the reasons are, this is Jan window and need a short term fix that's not going to upset the apple cart. Sell Matip in the summer and get marquee signing then
Paying a significant fee for a player out of contract 6mths later, who’s currently on wages of £205k per week doesn’t constitute “upsetting the Apple cart”?

Last year of his contract and he is 32, no way will Bayern negotiate on the same terms, no club will. Godin gets €6m a year, I would imagine Boateng would probably be looking at €7m a year.

Last edited:
He's shit. There's one good reason not to sign him. His last stint in the premier league wasn't exactly great. What makes you think he can do better considering he's now past his twilight years.

He's shit. There's one good reason not to sign him. His last stint in the premier league wasn't exactly great. What makes you think he can do better considering he's now past his twilight years.
Was about to write the same basically. He was terrible at City.
Also, we're not in the business of signing 32 year olds on big contracts.

If we're buying a CB it's either a talented semi established one around 21-23 years old or no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom