• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lucas the creator

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can anyone not love the guy after that ...sniff.

Really, really easily.

But I'm aware that his long-term service, refusal to give in, and "nice guy" reputation have now made Lucas the "Old Yeller" of LFC fans, with tear-stained eulogies about "that time he did a good pass once" somberly shared, as the accepted level of quality and performance from a Liverpool midfield player reaches ever-lower depths, and every rare decent performance greeted like he was Graeme fucking Souness.

Really, really easily.

But I'm aware that his long-term service, refusal to give in, and "nice guy" reputation have now made Lucas the "Old Yeller" of LFC fans, with tear-stained eulogies about "that time he did a good pass once" somberly shared, as the accepted level of quality and performance from a Liverpool midfield player reaches ever-lower depths, and every rare decent performance greeted like he was Graeme fucking Souness.

I really love the guy as a human being but I can't wait to see the back of him as a footballer. There have been very few times throughout his Liverpool career when he has actually fitted the shirt and these spells of form were always short lived before being curtailed by injury. At his very best he's a competent mid-table player, at his worse he's a total liability.

The assist stats are good, but surely some of you are thinking along the lines of "How good would a top class younger DM/CM be in that position under Klopp?"

I know I am. Lucas has been pushing up loads more & despite me laughing every time he takes a shot he's actually in great positions to do so & other players would have scored a couple of them at least.

Buying a top class DM would make our team much better more effectively than any other position we could strengthen imo.

The assist stats are good, but surely some of you are thinking along the lines of "How good would a top class younger DM/CM be in that position under Klopp?"

I know I am. Lucas has been pushing up loads more & despite me laughing every time he takes a shot he's actually in great positions to do so & other players would have scored a couple of them at least.

Buying a top class DM would make our team much better more effectively than any other position we could strengthen imo.
It's what I've been saying for a while. I can't believe people still want Hendo to be our DM.

Hendo isnt a DM though. He's not an AM either. He's definitely a CM (as in playing inbetween the two, doing the hard work & pulling the strings), but imo he doesn't fit into a Klopp side in that position very comfortably, despite us being better with him in the side than without him.

And these are just the highlights:

His swaying from side to side as he speaks is truly hypnotic ... maybe that's the technique he has used on the 5 Liverpool managers who have consistently played him ... and on me

His swaying from side to side as he speaks is truly hypnotic ... maybe that's the technique he has used on the 5 Liverpool managers who have consistently played him ... and on me

I bet the guests there saw that pile of notes he had and thought, 'Oh SHIT!'

It's what I've been saying for a while. I can't believe people still want Hendo to be our DM.

I know this isn't a Henderson thread, and I do understand your (and others) issues with Henderson at DM - I've expressed them myself

But there's certainly been plenty of games where he has performed a more destructive and disciplined role at the base of the midfield, and done it very well

It's not totally ridiculous to think he can't continue to adapt his game and be able to play as our holding midfielder to a good standard

(Lets leave the injury conversation to one side)

Certainly that role isn't always a static one, just look at Kante, he gets around the pitch

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this

When Lucas was a younger CM I thought his present hampered the teams chance of winning anything. That didn't change over the years. So I defo hope for Grujic to make a step or others to come in (don't rate Stewart) and take a role here.

However, I appreciate that he actually has performed ok in a time we have needed it. If it is fresh legs in a time when others are tired I don't know. But good on him!!

Hendo isnt a DM though. He's not an AM either. He's definitely a CM (as in playing inbetween the two, doing the hard work & pulling the strings), but imo he doesn't fit into a Klopp side in that position very comfortably, despite us being better with him in the side than without him.
Of course he's a CM, but I don't see him as a guaranteed starter. He's gonna have battle it out with Lallana, Can and Wijnaldum.

Last edited:
Yep. For me that's our highest priority, the signing which will have more of a beneficial knock-on effect (if we get it right) on the players around him than any other.

Nah. We don't need one. We will make CL this season without one. And in CL we only meet top six teams, which we beat anyway. So we will win CL without one next season. All bar one happy schnappy!! :)

Really, really easily.

Thats a bit disingenuous Bren.
Hes played really well since moved back into DM.
Im not saying it excuses a LOT of mediocrity but hes never been as bad as many make out. And right now hes performing as well and as consistently as anyone when it really matters at this stage.

He will probably leave in summer. Helping us to 4th which he is undoubtably doing his share of right now will be a good end to a decent if unspectacular career for us.

I dont think any poster wouldnt replace him. But im glad hes performing well in what is probably a swansong and there have been as many downs as ups.

18301267_1687291354661854_7327881210570029045_n.png

Odd to read these ten-year-old comments from Tim Vickery now:

Who is Lucas Leiva? What is his true position? And based on a previous article about South American youngsters leaving too early, eg. Gabriel Paletta, is Lucas ready to come to the Premiership just yet?
Mark Williams, Leamington Spa (and many others)

These moves are always a gamble, but I think this is a good one.

He's an exciting player of a type that Brazilian football hasn't produced too many of recently. Of late their central midfielders have tended to be 'holders' who sit and allow the full-backs to push forward.

Lucas is different. He's a big, blonde figure whose power and physical strength comes with attacking ability.

He can pass well and loves to rumble forward. He gets on the scoresheet both with blistering shots from range and from bursting beyond the strikers.

You can certainly imagine him playing alongside Javier Mascherano, for example.

I don't have the same fears for him as I did with Paletta. He's had two full seasons behind him - one helping Gremio win promotion from the second division, and then last year's success when he was chosen as the player of the championship.

In a perfect world you might want him to stay another year before moving on, but (a) Gremio need to sell to balance the books and (b) with Liverpool's strength in depth in central midfield it looks as if his first campaign will be a bedding in season.

He will probably leave in summer. Helping us to 4th which he is undoubtably doing his share of right now will be a good end to a decent if unspectacular career for us.

I don't think he will. If we get CL, then he'll be kept.

I don't think he will. If we get CL, then he'll be kept.

More his choice than ours though. Klopp could probably offer him a year more if he wanted (and I can see that happening), but will he accept playing what has effectively been about 10 games (just a shade over 1,000 minutes) a season at 30? His minutes likely won't go up much with us if at all even with more games to play next season, if, as most of us expect/hope, we get a centreback and centre mid. And also because Grujic will probably start to feature more if fit.

He could easily go on and start every game when fit for a side outside the top 6 and help immensely in their campaigns, as the generally slower pace, compact and less attacking style of football should suit him.

West Ham could be an interesting destination if Benitez goes there to take Bilic's job. Ironically maybe, we've been linked to Pedro Obiang before.

Lucas has been steady and its really what you expect from him. Lately his been better than average and has stepped up. Good lad.

Rafa! You watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom