• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't that hard and to me someone who prefers Spearing to Lucas clearly has an agenda against Lucas.

Not really, at the time he came into the side and did well, the results were good and Lucas looked better because of the shared defensive responsibility. People might have been a bit blinkered by a homegrown lad, but having an agenda is well wide of the mark, people were desperate for something different, they still are, so it's not really an agenda - he hasn't improved, if anything, he's got progressively worse since his peak season a few years back. And his role is as under as much scrutiny as ever.

Not really, at the time he came into the side and did well, the results were good and Lucas looked better because of the shared defensive responsibility. People might have been a bit blinkered by a homegrown lad, but having an agenda is well wide of the mark, people were desperate for something different, they still are, so it's not really an agenda - he hasn't improved, if anything, he's got progressively worse since his peak season a few years back. And his role is as under as much scrutiny as ever.
Sure but that's a tad bit over the top.
He's never been that bad.
He's survived like 4 managers.

Sure but that's a tad bit over the top.
He's never been that bad.
He's survived like 4 managers.

How divisive has he been, Modo? His staying quality has been as much a symptom of a lack of competition than anything else. His competition since he became a first team regular has been Jay Spearing. I'm not Gerrard's biggest fan in that role, but he ousted him from that position last season and we still won games, more impressively if anything.

How divisive has he been, Modo? His staying quality has been as much a symptom of a lack of competition than anything else. His competition since he became a first team regular has been Jay Spearing. I'm not Gerrard's biggest fan in that role, but he ousted him from that position last season and we still won games, more impressively if anything.

Let's not forget Poulsen, Allen and Henderson.

Two serious knee injuries have hardly helped, either.

They haven't, you're right, but it doesn't alter the fact that he's clearly struggling. I didn't say injury wasn't a factor, but he has got progressively worse, regardless of the reasons. The outcome and end product isn't good enough, whether it's through injury or natural regression.

Let's not forget Poulsen, Allen and Henderson.

Allen was coming into the team though to play alongside him, if anything, Allen lost his place to Henderson (and through a few injuries) - Gerrard ultimately took over Lucas' role.

If we're being straight about it, position for position, then his "genuine" competitors have been Spearing, Poulsen, Gerrard and now Can - a kid, a dinosaur, a club legend and a newbie.

Aside from the recent addition (Can), he's not really had much rivalry to see off, has he? He was fortunate that Mascherano and Alonso both left, because it opened up a gaping hole in our side.

it's going nowhere really though because he learnt from it. I'm not sure you can really draw parallels with Sunday's lineup, we played with three out and out attackers pretty much and two attack minded fullbacks, one of them is past it, but the intent was there and we clearly had no one else we deemed fit enough. Sure, we probably should never see Lucas and Gerrard together again, but lets not pretend they are the sole reasons re underwhelmed, they weren't.

First game nerves, first competitive game without Suarez, proving something after the end to last season, up against a team that were pretty much an unknown quantity because of their Summer, a few players below par, settling in a couple of new defenders. There's a myriad of reasons, Rogers consistently learns from fuck ups, I don't there's any real case to be had to say he didn't learn from last seasons game, it was a different team with a completely different line-up and manager, so there was little to go off really in terms of second guessing the opposition.

It was only a throwaway comment really, just the coincidence of Rodgers making the wrong team selections at home to Southampton 2 seasons on the trot, quite blatant ones to.

Hansern implied that Rodgers had little or no choice last season but he clearly did as he had 3 full backs on the bench, he just messed up and as we know we never saw it again, hopefully Rodgers will come the the same conclusion with Lucas and Gerrard playing together and finally be done with that one.

The the thing about these new age internet buzz words like pwning is that you are never really sure about its meaning.

I would have agreed on pwning had he
1. Addressed any of the questions raised about Lucas in this thread titled "Lucas"
a. Was starting him on Sunday a big mistake?
b. Does he deserve to keep his place in the squad?
c. Has lack of competition in his position been the only reason for him getting as many games as he has?

2. Not constantly moved the goal post by diverting the discussion (his speciality this) about other players
a. Gerrard has only played DM after middle of last year and the results offer a wealth of evidence that has not been addressed. Hanging on to what Rafa Benitez said about Gerrard many moons ago is irrelevant.
b. Comparing him with Spearing should actually prove what a useless twit Lucas is....but in Modos world, its justification for what a boss player Lucas is.

If anythin Keni pwned him in less than 5 words!

Yes. Well done you!

Have a feather in your hat, or whatever it is that you do for this marvelous achievement!

@kingjulian (I loved you in Madagascar) and @mark1975 - you two are laughable how wound up Modo makes you.
@Modo. Lucas blows. End of. He played pretty well one season, got injured and now he's not the same player. Sucks but it's fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom