• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Milner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctlovesred

Well-Known
After tonight’s game I gave my first serious thought about Milner as a manager. He’s got all the makings of the type of human and manager that could step into Klopp’s shoes - some day. He’s years away from that but he’s got that special attribute of giving all the craps about the game, about development, character and professionalism. He’s played all over the pitch for some of the best coaches. He’s a winner and a fighter. And he’s smart. Maybe a bit boring...

He’s never been a superstar like Gerrard, but he could end up managing at the very top.

Back in 2016 when he was 30 yrs old

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...idfielder-hungry-play-help-team-trophies.html
[article]This is one of those moments when an interview could come to abrupt halt: James Milner has been looking back over his career when he is asked whether he has started planning for the future.

Milner is now in his 14th year of top flight combat. He recently gained entry to the distinguished group who have made more than 400 Barclays Premier League appearances and his career total will move to 551 on Thursday night when Liverpool lock horns with Augsburg in the Europa League.

‘I’ve started the coaching badges,’ he replies. ‘I did some at Aston Villa but things got in the way. I started them again this year… Hang on. You’re not trying to get me rotated are you?!’

A quizzical look is followed by a short pause, but then laughter breaks out. Milner, Liverpool’s vice-captain, turned 30 last month but his enthusiasm remains as intense as the day he entered the record books in November 2002, aged 16 years and 309 days, as the Premier League’s youngest player for his boyhood club Leeds.

His zest is understandable. Milner could have remained at Manchester City last summer but he seized the chance to play a part in helping Liverpool rebuild.[/article]

After tonight’s game I gave my first serious thought about Milner as a manager. He’s got all the makings of the type of human and manager that could step into Klopp’s shoes - some day. He’s years away from that but he’s got that special attribute of giving all the craps about the game, about development, character and professionalism. He’s played all over the pitch for some of the best coaches. He’s a winner and a fighter. And he’s smart. Maybe a bit boring...

He’s never been a superstar like Gerrard, but he could end up managing at the very top.

He is definitely not boring.

Kind of reminded me of this:
quote-of-course-i-didn-t-take-my-wife-to-see-rochdale-as-an-anniversary-present-it-was-her-bill-shankly-71-79-36.jpg

Crazy to think of the 5 clubs he’s been at, he’d have been with us the longest and played the most games for us.

He leads a good life (no alcohol). I can see him playing for another 3 years at the top level (premier league)

That was one of my favourite stories from last night. Milner. How lucky were we to snag the guy on a free? I really really hope he stays on and become part of the coaching set up. Ribena for all! :D

What he did last night is a measure of the man, as is the fact that he chose to come to us when Citeh offered him higher wages. One of the secrets of our success now is that we have not only the right players but the right characters in and around the club, and Milner's defo one of them.

What he did last night is a measure of the man, as is the fact that he chose to come to us when Citeh offered him higher wages. One of the secrets of our success now is that we have not only the right players but the right characters in and around the club, and Milner's defo one of them.
Couldn't agree more. I heard that Trent and Robbo do stuff like this with the youths as well. I'm sure it must happen at other clubs as well but to have Milner do it must be something special to all those looking to break through. I remember when we signed him from City. I was in Havana at the time travelling with a mate who is a massive Citeh fan. He was absolutley gutted. I remember him telling me that it was a very shrewd signing and so it was.

Thinking about it I suppose you have to give props to Rodgers for snagging him. Bobby too. Fair play he wasn't all just teeth and daft envelopes.

Couldn't agree more. I heard that Trent and Robbo do stuff like this with the youths as well. I'm sure it must happen at other clubs as well but to have Milner do it must be something special to all those looking to break through. I remember when we signed him from City. I was in Havana at the time travelling with a mate who is a massive Citeh fan. He was absolutley gutted. I remember him telling me that it was a very shrewd signing and so it was.

Milner on a free was one of those very rare signings that every single Liverpool fan thought was a great idea!

And so it has proven.

Thinking about it I suppose you have to give props to Rodgers for snagging him. Bobby too. Fair play he wasn't all just teeth and daft envelopes.

Certainly for Milner, but I'm not so sure about Bobby's signing. Rodgers never seemed to know what to do with him or to get the best out of him. After Klopp was appointed I wondered whether there had previously been contacts with Klopp about signings and, if yes, whether.Bobby was one.

Certainly for Milner, but I'm not so sure about Bobby's signing. Rodgers never seemed to know what to do with him or to get the best out of him. After Klopp was appointed I wondered whether there had previously been contacts with Klopp about signings and, if yes, whether.Bobby was one.
That makes sense - To be honest I'm not sure on dates. I think Rodgers signed him and then got booted a few months later.

I'm not sure Klopp was consulted about signings while Rodgers was in charge, although weirdly he did claim that he was interested in signing Benteke when he was at Dortmund.

Which seems a bit weird.

These days to be one of the very best coaches it seems you've got to either be a tactical genius, or be some sort of father figure mr personality with the players. Milner doesn't strike me as either. I like him and think he's a top bloke, but I'm not sure what it is about him that others think would make him a top manager just because he's very professional about his work.

I'm not sure Klopp was consulted about signings while Rodgers was in charge, although weirdly he did claim that he was interested in signing Benteke when he was at Dortmund.

Which seems a bit weird.

That statement at that time struck me as more of a confidence booster for Benteke though. It wasn't the most ringing endorsement considering BVB bought Immobile not soon before his final season...

That statement at that time struck me as more of a confidence booster for Benteke though. It wasn't the most ringing endorsement considering BVB bought Immobile not soon before his final season...

It was Benteke who broke that news, though. He said at the time that Klopp and his agent met to discuss a potential transfer, but it didn't get off the ground.

I guess an in-form, peak Benteke would not have looked out of place in that Dortmund team. It's only weird now because of how quickly he deteriorated and forgot how to score. Benteke before he joined us was a machine.

These days to be one of the very best coaches it seems you've got to either be a tactical genius, or be some sort of father figure mr personality with the players. Milner doesn't strike me as either. I like him and think he's a top bloke, but I'm not sure what it is about him that others think would make him a top manager just because he's very professional about his work.

Well having that is at least a start right?

If he ever became a manager, he would be like the chap managing Sheffield United right now.

Milner on a free was one of those very rare signings that every single Liverpool fan thought was a great idea!

And so it has proven.
I seem to recall that there was someone on here, @peterhague maybe, who was totally against the signing.
No totally sure though. Whoever if was I'd would say they have altered their opinion somewhat

I seem to recall that there was someone on here, @peterhague maybe, who was totally against the signing.
No totally sure though. Whoever if was I'd would say they have altered their opinion somewhat

http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/james-milner.67565/

@peterhague Starting to look like a seriously bad signing, this. I'll be generous and say £150k a week is only £70k a week over his real value. That's £3.5m a year. Over a (presumed) 4 year contract, that's a premium of £17.5m. Again being conservative, a signing on fee of £2.5m means we'll be paying an effective transfer fee of £20m for a 29 year old James Milner, a player we don't particularly need.

Way way way overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom