• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NBA Regular season & PLAYOFFS

SaintGeorge67

Well-Known
So it's underway. Any predictions?

Despite being a Spurs fan since the days of Robinson, I'm developing a huge soft spot for the Celtics after watching some Bird clips on you tube (my first ever favourite player and the reason I began watchng it). What to do :-\

A Celtics Spurs final I guess, and I'll go from there.

Re: NBA Regular season

The Celtics are my team. Purely down to Larry Bird.

A lot of things to look out for this season.

Spurs have adopted a 'win now' mentality by trading for Jefferson. They have gotten younger and will stand a good chance if Ginobili stays fit and if Duncan gets enough rest for the playoffs. McDyess is a nice pick up and I think they got the steal of the draft in Blair.

Shaq to Cleveland. Will be interesting to see how it all works out. Lebron loves driving to the basket but with Shaq blocking the lanes it remains to be seen if he will get the chance to. Also, Orlando killed Cleveland on the pick and roll last season and Shaq is horrendus at guarding that. However it seems that Lebron has improved tremedously on his mid range jumper. I think Moon and Parker will contribute as well.

Orlando lost Hedo but got Carter. Finally we get to see Carter perform on a contender. Add him to a fit Nelson, the best centre in the game today in Howard and I think they can repeat as Eastern conference champions. Great depth as well in Bass, Gortat etc.

Celtics just became the big four with the addition of Rasheed. He seems very focused and will be a contender for Sixth Man of the year. However there are issues with health, especially Garnett's knees and Rondo's contract situation. He isnt likely to extend and will be a restricted free agent this year. Also the Celtics are one year older and coach Rivers has to ensure that he over 30 players dont kill themselves in the regular season. However, they have added to their bench this year with Wallace and Daniels.

LTW's Mavs look stronger this year too, but have a huge hole in the centre position. It's going to be difficult for them especially in the Western Conference. Besides Dampier, they can play Gooden there but both are not great centres. Nowitzki is unlikely to play at centre as he will be totally overwhelmed there. Orlando really screwed Dallas' plans when they matched their offer to Gortat Good addition in Marion though, he will provide strong defence and intensity. However, he and Howard play the same position which means Howard has to play at 2 guard. I see a trade in the works for a legitimate centre.

I think the Lakers have a good chance to repeat. The addition of Artest gives them a much stronger defensive intensity but might also create more issues given his history. Kobe and Phil Jackson have to be strong with him in case he disrupts team chemistry. Add that to Odom's marriage to reality star Kardishan and off court distractions might be the biggest obstacle to the Lakers repeating. However, if Bynum stays healthy then the Lakers will have the strongest and most versatile front court plus the best closer in Kobe. The bench really has to step up though, they were horrible in the 2nd half of last season.

Other things to look out for:

No 1 pick Blake Griffin suffered the Clippers' curse and suffered a broken knee cap. He will out for at least 6 weeks. Bummer.

Detroit picking up Gordon and Villanueva in free agency will be interesting. How do you play Stuckey, Hamilton AND Gordon in the backcourt? And if you think Dallas' centre problems were bad, Detroit's starting centre is the has been Ben Wallace and his reserve is the biggest no 1 bust Kwarme Brown. I sense a trade there too.

Allen Iverson to the Grizzlies. He's just there to fill seats. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

The summer of 2010 is dubbed the Summer of Lebron. So many players up for free agency and so many teams trying to get sufficient cap space to entice them. Knicks, Heat, Chicago, Clippers etc etc all will have space. The list of players eligible for free agency is staggering. James, Wade, Bosh, Stoudamire, Yao, Pierce, Joe Johnson, Ginobili and many more. I'll keep my eyes out for trades for such players if their teams have little chance of making the playoffs by the trade deadline. Otherwise will be fun to see if all the star players extend with their teams and screw all the teams with cap space.

Predictions?

Lakers over Spurs in WCF.

Celtics over Magic in ECF.

Lakers over Celtic in NBA finals.

Spurs looked fantastic last night.

Celtics have looked good as well.

Cavs, not so much.

Dirk was out of this world yesterday - 29 points in the FOURTH QUARTER ... almost equalled wilt the stilt's record ...

I like what this team can offer, and Dampier in a contract year may actually do a job at C.

Playoffs should be a definite ... Let's hope for a deep playoff run.

I'm looking forward to seeing Casspi play for Sacramento. The 1st Israeli in the NBA and he's doing 'us' proud

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=36798.msg978497#msg978497 date=1257341298]
Dirk was out of this world yesterday - 29 points in the FOURTH QUARTER ... almost equalled wilt the stilt's record ...

I like what this team can offer, and Dampier in a contract year may actually do a job at C.

I'm looking forward to seeing Casspi play for Sacramento. The 1st Israeli in the NBA and he's doing 'us' proud
[/quote]

He was fantastic, mate. If they could just get him a big man inside, he really could do a lot of damage... They won't though.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36798.msg978608#msg978608 date=1257349608]

[/quote]

He was fantastic, mate. If they could just get him a big man inside, he really could do a lot of damage... They won't though.
[/quote]

Hopefully Gooden and a contract seeking Dampier can be enough ... You don't need a great center to win as the Lakers proved last year, and hopefully Marion/Howard/Terry/Kidd can provide enough for Dirk to give us a good shot this yera.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=36798.msg978621#msg978621 date=1257351037]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hopefully Gooden and a contract seeking Dampier can be enough ... You don't need a great center to win as the Lakers proved last year, and hopefully Marion/Howard/Terry/Kidd can provide enough for Dirk to give us a good shot this yera.
[/quote]

You can't use the Lakers as a true example, mate - They have Kobe. He re-writes the normal rules.

Unless you have Kobe or Michael or maybe LeBron, you need a dominating inside presence and/or a suffocating defense to win the title.

Eh? Pau Gasol was instrumental in the Lakers winning and he was an all star centre.

[quote author=DHSC link=topic=36798.msg978633#msg978633 date=1257351968]

Eh? Pau Gasol was instrumental in the Lakers winning and he was an all star centre.

[/quote]

Pau Gasol is a PF. And when Bynum was healthy, was playing a PF.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36798.msg978629#msg978629 date=1257351465]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You can't use the Lakers as a true example, mate - They have Kobe. He re-writes the normal rules.

Unless you have Kobe or Michael or maybe LeBron, you need a dominating inside presence and/or a suffocating defense to win the title.
[/quote]

Remind me again who played center for the Pistons and Celtics when they won their recent championships? There's not ONE player on the pistons who was/is as good a scorer as Dirk. And the Celtics had Garnett - I know I know - Dirk has matched him stats wise his whole career ... and Ray Allen and Pierce, whom I would hope Marion/Howard/Terry can match scoring wise one way or another ... You don't need a great center to win the championship ... It definitely give you a tremendous edge, but it's not critical.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=36798.msg979205#msg979205 date=1257371000]
[quote author=DHSC link=topic=36798.msg978633#msg978633 date=1257351968]

[/quote]

Pau Gasol is a PF. And when Bynum was healthy, was playing a PF.
[/quote]

Bynum was the starting centre yes, but he played only 20-22 mins a game in the playoffs, Gasol played centre most of the time.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=36798.msg979215#msg979215 date=1257371167]
[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36798.msg978629#msg978629 date=1257351465]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Remind me again who played center for the Pistons and Celtics when they won their recent championships? There's not ONE player on the pistons who was/is as good a scorer as Dirk. And the Celtics had Garnett - I know I know - Dirk has matched him stats wise his whole career ... and Ray Allen and Pierce, whom I would hope Marion/Howard/Terry can match scoring wise one way or another ... You don't need a great center to win the championship ... It definitely give you a tremendous edge, but it's not critical.
[/quote]

Avy - Read what I said again, mate...

You need one or the other, amigo. Nobody (who doesn't have MJ, Kobe or maybe LeBron) wins without either.

2 clowns who have moved on. The teams should be better, happiness wise, without them.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The Allen Iverson experiment with the Memphis Grizzlies is over.

Memphis announced Monday that the team has ended its one-year contract with the 10-time All-Star and former league MVP in what it called a mutual agreement. Iverson was not placed on waivers by the 6 p.m. ET deadline on Monday so is expected to be waived on Tuesday, a league source told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan.

Under the agreement, Iverson will receive only a fraction of the $3 million he was scheduled to earn. If he clears waivers, he will become an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday night.

At least one team has confirmed it has interest in Iverson. New York Knicks president of basketball operations Donnie Walsh told the New York Daily News on Monday night that the team will explore the possibility of signing Iverson.

Iverson began an indefinite leave of absence on Nov. 7 to deal with a personal issue after playing only three games with the Grizzlies, all in California.

"Because of personal matters that forced him to leave the team on November 7, Allen will step away from the game at this time, allowing him to focus on those matters," general manager Chris Wallace said in a statement. "As a result, we will be ending our contractual agreement with Allen, which will allow both parties to move forward. We wish Allen the best."

Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, did not immediately return a message left by The Associated Press on his cell phone. Iverson, who announced he was headed to Memphis on his Twitter account, hasn't posted any updates there since Nov. 2 when he played his first game with the Grizzlies.

Memphis owner Michael Heisley told the AP last week he would be happy to trade Iverson to another team if a better deal came along.

Few NBA teams had shown interest in the 34-year-old guard before Memphis signed him to a one-year, incentive-laden contract on Sept. 10. Memphis fans greeted the biggest star ever to play for the Grizzlies with a big crowd for his introductory news conference and eagerly bought up his No. 3 jersey, though he wound up never playing a game on the team's home court.

Iverson didn't help himself much during his short stint with his fourth NBA team. He missed the preseason with a partially torn left hamstring and didn't debut with the Grizzlies until Nov. 2 at Sacramento.

Immediately, Iverson began talking about his distaste for coming off the bench and being on a rebuilding team filled with youth from Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo to recent draft picks Hasheem Thabeet and DeMarre Carroll.

The four-time NBA scoring champ became the 16th player in league history to score 24,000 points in his career in his second game against the Golden State Warriors. He played against the Lakers in Los Angeles, where he also met with Heisley before being given permission to take an indefinite leave.

But the Grizzlies got tired of waiting for Iverson to decide what to do next.

They signed point guard Jamaal Tinsley on Saturday for some much-needed help with the Grizzlies struggling at 2-8 this season.

The Golden State Warriors on Monday offloaded disgruntled forward Stephen Jackson to a nonplayoff team, sending him to the Charlotte Bobcats instead of dealing him to one of Jackson's preferred destinations in Cleveland.

In a deal that NBA front-office sources said came together quickly Sunday night after on-and-off talks with the Bobcats in recent weeks, Golden State agreed to send Jackson and guard Acie Law to the Bobcats in exchange for veteran swingmen Raja Bell and Vladimir Radmanovic.

The teams announced that they completed the deal, first reported by ESPN.com, shortly after 11 a.m. ET.

Jackson was in a hotel room in Milwaukee when he got the call from his agent, Mark Stevens, on Monday morning. He immediately hopped on a plane to Orlando and started against the Magic.

"I wanted to be out pretty bad," Jackson told The Associated Press. "Things were going bad. I was getting blamed for everything. I wasn't seeing eye to eye with the team. I got fined in preseason, which was ridiculous. It was just a lot of things that I didn't agree with that was going on."

The Cavaliers had long been considered the favorites to land the Warriors' former captain in the wake of Jackson's trade demand late in the summer, when the 31-year-old announced that he hoped to be dealt to the Cavaliers, New York Knicks or one of the three Texas teams.

But ESPN.com reported earlier this month that the Bobcats had quietly registered serious interest in Jackson and could not be dismissed as a threat to acquire him. The Cavaliers found out how serious Charlotte was over the weekend, sources said, when the Warriors chose Charlotte's offer over a Cleveland pitch that involved the signing-and-trading of ex-Cavaliers forward Wally Szczerbiak packaged with troubled guard Delonte West.

Szczerbiak is a free agent after the Cavs elected not to re-sign him and recently underwent minor knee surgery. But the 32-year-old has not ruled out trying to make a comeback this season and is fully eligible -- as long as he reports to the team that trades for him -- to be plugged into a deal by the Cavs in a manner similar to Dallas' signing-and-trading of Keith Van Horn in February 2008 in the Mavericks' complicated trade to reacquire Jason Kidd.

Yet sources said Golden State decided that the Bobcats' offer provided sufficient payroll relief as well as short-term help at the wing positions combined with Bell's proven leadership skills. The Warriors are counting on all that to help them weather Jackson's departure and the potential season-ending knee injury suffered Saturday in Milwaukee by swingman Kelenna Azubuike.

One source close to the situation, though, told ESPN.com that Bell will reconsider undergoing surgery to address a nagging wrist injury upon joining the Warriors.

With its offense badly in need of a boost after failing to reach 80 points in five of its nine games so far, Charlotte had been exchanging proposals with Golden State for some time. But the Bobcats were determined to make the deal without parting with playmaking big man Boris Diaw and hooked the Warriors when they agreed to substitute Bell for center Nazr Mohammed in addition to Radmanovic.

"I know Stephen, he loves to play, and we've got to make it work out -- and I'm confident it will," Bobcats coach Larry Brown told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan on Friday.

"We are struggling, we can't score," Brown continued, "but one of the reasons we're struggling was because Raja and Flip [Murray] were out and missed a lot of time, and Tyson [Chandler] and Boris basically missed all of preseason. Those are four key guys, plus we didn't have rookie camp or summer league, so our rookies are a little behind. So there's a lot of factors, but yeah, we have had problems scoring the ball. We're defending well, but we just can't make a shot."

Jackson said he was looking forward to playing for Brown, and he didn't miss a chance to take a parting shot at Warriors coach Don Nelson when asked what kind of coach he looks for as a player.

"The kind of coach I want that has your back," Jackson told the AP. "That's something that's big to me. If a coach has my back, then I don't mind playing 110 percent for him."

Now Brown, the Hall of Famer who has coached numerous difficult players, including Allen Iverson, will get a crack at the talented and polarizing Jackson.

"No matter what Stephen might say to me when I take him out, I've heard it before," Brown told the AP. "As long as they care and as long as they want to get better and are good teammates, I'm OK."

The Warriors, meanwhile, had reached the point where they felt they had to move Jackson as soon as possible in the name of team health. The Warriors were not only privately furious that Jackson would unsettle the team with a trade demand so soon after receiving an extension but also fearful that Jackson's discontent would continue to hang over a group of promising youngsters headlined by Stephen Curry and Anthony Randolph.

So Golden State decided not to wait until Dec. 15, when rookies and players who signed contracts over the summer become eligible to be traded. Cleveland's best offer would have provided more payroll relief, but the Warriors contend that they satisfied multiple objectives by taking the Bobcats' offer.

Bell's $5.3 million contract expires at season's end, while Radmanovic is earning $6.5 million this season and is due to earn $6.9 million next season. Jackson is earning $7.7 million this season before starting a three-year contract extension worth nearly $28 million, so the long-term savings of having Radmanovic on the payroll instead of Jackson is roughly $21 million.

Perhaps as a bonus to the Warriors, this trade also sends Jackson to an unfashionable location on the NBA map.

But Jackson's agent strongly disputed the notion that Jackson would be unhappy about his new team, despite the fact that Charlotte was not on his original wish list and given that the Bobcats have never made the playoffs.

"He's happy about the trade, delighted about the trade," Stevens told Sheridan. "This is what he wanted, a new start, and this gives him a chance to compete. Plus he's a huge fan of that team's president, Michael Jordan."

The Warriors had intensified their efforts to find a trade partner in recent days after Stevens harshly criticized Nelson, adding to the tension that has engulfed the team throughout a 3-6 start.

Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins, who was still working in Golden State when Jackson arrived in a January 2007 trade with the Indiana Pacers, told NBA.com that his organization was undaunted by Jackson's reputation.

"We had an opportunity to bring a starter to our lineup," Higgins said. "A guy we envision starting at the [shooting] guard spot. He's coming off arguably his best season last year. I spoke to Stephen, and he's very excited to come here."

Higgins said he wasn't concerned with Jackson's previous transgressions.

"People's past are indeed that," he told the AP. "Our relationship with him is going to start today."

Jackson is averaging 16.6 points through nine games this season, after averaging 20.7 points and 6.5 assists last season. Charlotte begins play Monday as the NBA's lowest-scoring team at 82.4 points a game.

if Iverson was smart, he'd sign for one of the big teams and accept a '6th man' role.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=36798.msg990161#msg990161 date=1258441942]
if Iverson was smart, he'd sign for one of the big teams and accept a '6th man' role.
[/quote]

I dont think he ever will Wizzy. If he did, he would have done so at the Pistons last season.

Iverson's ego is just too big.

Spurs lose last night without Parker, and Ginobli.

I hate Dirk Nowitzki.

Mavericks are a definite dark horse this year. I know Derek won't like it, but they've got a very very deep team and the additions of Gooden & Marion were excellent.

Dirk also seems to have started this year on 'another' level.

He always does, but then chokes in the playoffs.

Spurs at full strength will challenge the Lakers. Spurs at full strength destroy Dallas the other night.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=36798.msg992932#msg992932 date=1258699287]
Mavericks are a definite dark horse this year. I know Derek won't like it, but they've got a very very deep team and the additions of Gooden & Marion were excellent.

[/quote]

As with all your Dallas team, you're mixing up "calling it like I see it, good and bad" with "not liking it", my friend.

Dirk has started the season like a man with a new lease on life (which is basically what he is, after all that shite with Krysta Taylor, etc...), and I'm actually really enjoying watching him play like he likes the game again - It's been 2 years since I've sensed he's enjoyed the game. He's a very, very good player and he doesn't have abunch of time left...

I'd love to see you get to the Finals. It won't happen, but I'd love it. You just don't have the tough defense for when the games get tough. That's a proven fact and it doesn't make me a hater.

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=36798.msg994195#msg994195 date=1258771845]
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=36798.msg992932#msg992932 date=1258699287]

[/quote]

As with all your Dallas team, you're mixing up "calling it like I see it, good and bad" with "not liking it", my friend.

Dirk has started the season like a man with a new lease on life (which is basically what he is, after all that shite with Krysta Taylor, etc...), and I'm actually really enjoying watching him play like he likes the game again - It's been 2 years since I've sensed he's enjoyed the game. He's a very, very good player and he doesn't have abunch of time left...

I'd love to see you get to the Finals. It won't happen, but I'd love it. You just don't have the tough defense for when the games get tough. That's a proven fact and it doesn't make me a hater.[/quote]

damn bro, lay off the haterade

LOS ANGELES -- Clippers longtime play-by-play announcer Ralph Lawler and color analyst Michael Smith were suspended one game by the Fox Sports Prime Ticket cable network for their comments about Memphis center Hamed Haddadi.

Lawler and Smith made their off-the-cuff comments about the Iranian-born center during Wednesday night's telecast from Memphis. The on-air banter offended a viewer who e-mailed Fox to complain.

The duo did not work Friday's night telecast against the Denver Nuggets at Staples Center. Michael Eaves and Don MacLean, who regularly serve as halftime and postgame analysts on the Clippers telecasts, substituted for Lawler and Smith at courtside.

"That's unfortunate. It was pretty strange not seeing them there," Clippers point guard Baron Davis said after the 106-99 victory. "Ralph and Mike are very classy guys, and they didn't do it to hurt anyone.

"A lot of times when you're commenting on games, it's a source of entertainment. And a lot of times, people may take offense. But the viewers need to understand that it's entertainment, and people are entitled to their opinion. I stand by Ralph and Mike because they're great guys and they only want to support and help everybody in the league."

Lawler, 71, is in his 31st season doing Clippers games, and Smith is in his 12th. Lawler has surpassed 2,400 regular season and playoff Clippers broadcasts in his career, according to the team's Web site.

"We regret the remarks made by Clippers announcers Michael Smith and Ralph Lawler during Wednesday's telecast," Fox said in a statement about 2½ hours before the game. "While we believe that Michael and Ralph did not intend their exchange to be offensive, the comments were inappropriate.

"We extend our apologies to Hamed Haddadi of the Memphis Grizzlies and to anyone who was offended. We have addressed the situation with Michael and Ralph and have taken appropriate action."

The Clippers did not comment.

The transcript of the conversation between Lawler and Smith, which occurred late in the game, was printed on the Los Angeles Times' Web site:

Smith: "Look who's in."

Lawler: "Hamed Haddadi. Where's he from?"

Smith: "He's the first Iranian to play in the NBA." (Smith pronounced Iranian as "Eye-ranian," a pronunciation that offended the viewer who complained.)

Lawler: "There aren't any Iranian players in the NBA," repeating Smith's mispronunciation.

Smith: "He's the only one."

Lawler: "He's from Iran?"

Smith: "I guess so."

Lawler: "That Iran?"

Smith: "Yes."

Lawler: "The real Iran?"

Smith: "Yes."

Lawler: "Wow. Haddadi that's H-A-D-D-A-D-I."

Smith: "You're sure it's not Borat's older brother?"

Smith: "If they ever make a movie about Haddadi, I'm going to get Sacha Baron Cohen to play the part."

Lawler: "Here's Haddadi. Nice little back-door pass. I guess those Iranians can pass the ball."

Smith: "Especially the post players.

Lawler: "I don't know about their guards."

Au Revoir AI

PHILADELPHIA -- Allen Iverson is set to retire from the NBA, according to an online report.

Commentator Stephen A. Smith published a statement on his Web site Wednesday attributed to Iverson. It said Iverson plans to retire but also that "I feel strongly that I can still compete at the highest level."

The statement also said Iverson has tremendous love for the game and the desire to play.

"His legacy would be huge," Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star LeBron James said. "He's one of the best when you talk about guys 6-foot and under in the game of basketball. He played injured and he played hard every single night. I don't think it should end this way, but if it does, he's left a lot of great things behind."

Congrats to Kidd:

HOUSTON -- Jason Kidd moved into second place on the NBA's career assists list during the Dallas Mavericks' game with the Houston Rockets on Wednesday night.

Kidd had 10,330 assists entering the game, and needed five more to pass Mark Jackson (10,334). Kidd got No. 5 on an alley-oop pass to Rodrigue Beaubois for a dunk with 10:53 left in the third quarter.

"The stats will take care of themselves and after my career, I will reflect on them," said Kidd, who ranks third in the NBA with 9.4 assists per game this season. "Some records are meant to stay where they are, and the all-time assist number of John Stockton is going to stay there for a long time."

John Stockton is the NBA's career assists leader (15,806).

Ok, so maybe Iverson is back?

It appears that the Philadelphia 76ers are re-thinking their stance about bringing back franchise icon Allen Iverson.

After first reporting Iverson's intention to retire earlier this week, longtime Iverson confidant Stephen A. Smith reported early Saturday that the Sixers, according to team sources, were giving deep consideration to making Iverson an offer.

The Nets are near one of those 'bad' records:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- All that stands between the New Jersey Nets and an NBA record for futility to start the season is the reigning champion Los Angeles Lakers.

The Nets dropped their 16th straight game to open the season, moving within one of matching the worst start in NBA history with a 109-96 loss to the Sacramento Kings on Friday night

Back
Top Bottom