• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL - Offseason, Draft & 2017/18 Season

Most likely Denver - best scenario for him. If not Denver, he'll either go to the Texans or perhaps take a paycut and stay with us.

Texans gave Osweiler a massive contract didnt they? Hasnt worked out so far to say the least.

I read that the cowboys cap room is shot to pieces. To keep him would cost too much.

It doesn't make a great deal of difference to them either way in terms of this upcoming season. If he stays, they pay him $14m and a pro-rated $10m from his bonus. If he's traded away, he still accounts for almost $20m against their cap because he's due that in bonus payments over the remainder of his contract. Even if Romo lets them cut him as a cap casualty, then only his bonus payment ($10m) will be dead money this upcoming year, and the remained of it (a little under $10m) will count against 2018. Taking a view over the whole three years he has left, taking the big hit this year (ie trading him) opens up a little more cap space in the subsequent two years, which is good in terms of structuring new free-agent contracts, as they're usually middle-to-bottom end loaded.

Texans have to pay Osweiler $19m this year. I laugh every time I think about that. It's more than we've ever paid Cutler in a single season.

Did Bill Of Brien have any say in the Osweiler deal?
Surely a man that has worked with Brady in New England for so long would know what a franchise qb looks like.
It was never there with Brock so it makes the deal look incredibly mental.

He had Mallett and Hoyer before him, so the signing of a forty million dollar shitgibbon doesn't seem completely outside his wheelhouse.

Reactions: Leo
Ha true.
Osweiler should grapefruit Gary Kubiak for the rest of his living days for earning him that dollar.

Did Bill Of Brien have any say in the Osweiler deal?
Surely a man that has worked with Brady in New England for so long would know what a franchise qb looks like.
It was never there with Brock so it makes the deal look incredibly mental.

I've heard it said that Ostweiler looks like a franchise QB everywhere but on the field.

I hope we shore up our O-line and our secondary.
We lost so many games because Ben wasnt protected and because we gave up long yardage plays time and again. Getting 15 yards against the Steelers was easy. I dont know if they do stats for stuff like that but id be surprised if any team was as poor as us when it comes to stopping long yardage gains.

Brandon Marshall - cut by Jets, signs with NYG ... They have quite a WR corps now - Odell, Sheppard & Marshall.

Others new today:
  • Cowboys to release Romo tomorrow ... they'll either release him outright make him a post june 1st cut. He'll end up with the broncos imo.
  • Baltimore will release Elvis Dumervil.
  • Rick Wagner - probably one of the best FA OL (from Bal) will sign with the Lions
  • The Redskins are GMless ... and have just given Vernon Davis a 3 year contract ... and are rumored to be trading Cousins to San Fran for the 2nd overall pick.

Others new today:
  • Cowboys to release Romo tomorrow ... they'll either release him outright make him a post june 1st cut. He'll end up with the broncos imo.
  • Rick Wagner - probably one of the best FA OL (from Bal) will sign with the Lions
  • The Redskins are GMless ... and have just given Vernon Davis a 3 year contract ... and are rumored to be trading Cousins to San Fran for the 2nd overall pick.

Leary to the Broncos
Church to the Jaguars
McClain to the Redskins

Garcon to the Niners

Are the Browns planning to tank next season ?

Ostweiler on his way via trade.

Houston are now in the Romo stakes

The Osweiler trade makes sense. Means they can draft a guy and have someone compete with him. Plus, his guaranteed money is done by the end of the season, so if the Browns somehow don't win the Superbowl, cutting him costs them nothing. Texans are happy as they get some cap room and can start working on getting treatment for post traumatic Brock syndrome.

Or maybe the Browns don't like the QB draft class ?
They have to take Garrett no.1 by all accounts.

With the cap going up they can afford Brock and DePodesta loves draft picks - so yeah it makes sense to get Brock as a stop gap.

The Browns are the Sunderland of the NFL

Fucking pointless

Are the Browns planning to tank next season ?

Ostweiler on his way via trade.

Houston are now in the Romo stakes

I actually think it's a great trade.
Tons of room under the cap. Take his salary for the year, and cut him next year (the real money is in the 1st two years of the deal anyways) or trade him.
They also got a 2nd which is a key move imo - 2nd are key to get 1st round trade ups.

Their O-line should be good, and they'll get the best DE prospect since Clowney and the 12 pick ...
They'll be a good team in 2-3 years imo.

I actually think it's a great trade.
Tons of room under the cap. Take his salary for the year, and cut him next year (the real money is in the 1st two years of the deal anyways) or trade him.
They also got a 2nd which is a key move imo - 2nd are key to get 1st round trade ups.

Their O-line should be good, and they'll get the best DE prospect since Clowney and the 12 pick ...
They'll be a good team in 2-3 years imo.
Absolutely. If they don't fancy him they could always throw a 1st + 2nd round pick for Jimmy G now. Who also only has a year left. So it could be a 1 year shoot out for the pair of them, while browns retain 1st and 33rd pick overall. Not a bad position to be in.

I did find it amusing that the browns were more excited about their 2nd round pick then a new QB. Makes me think its a trader move.

Last edited:
NE got Gilmore - whihc probably means Butler will be traded in the coming weeks/months for a 1-3rd pick (or a player, perhaps Cooks from NO)

The Browns are the Sunderland of the NFL

Fucking pointless

I don't know - i think DePodesta might make them relevant again.

He was one of the people that changed the game of baseball, he might force the NFL teams to re-evaluate their approach too. It'll be interesting to watch.

NE got Gilmore - whihc probably means Butler will be traded in the coming weeks/months for a 1-3rd pick (or a player, perhaps Cooks from NO)
It is an odd one.. Won't pay proven performers like Butler or Ryan, but happy to splash $14m per annum on someone who got burned by Hogan.

I see the attraction on Cooks, but personally I'd like to give Floyd a chance on lowball money.

Interesting that Hightower wasn't snapped up yesterday. Give me hope he'll re-sign a long term deal.

The Browns got Zeitler, Tretter and Britt yesterday. That will improve them. Long way to go mind.

Others new today:

Doesnt look like Romo will be released just yet, as there might be a trade on the cards with either the Broncos or the Texans.

Wilcox on his way out and Crawford signs for the Falcons. What do you think our plans are mate?

Doesnt look like Romo will be released just yet, as there might be a trade on the cards with either the Broncos or the Texans.

Wilcox on his way out and Crawford signs for the Falcons. What do you think our plans are mate?

I think it's all a big bluff - Texans won't trade for Romo, doubt Broncos will. We'll release him probably as no one will bite ... Hopefully I'm wrong as a draft pick can always become a contributor, but that's what I think is happening.

We need to sign a DL - not sure we have any realistic options considering how the cap is (we'll be great next year post Romo).

CB is extremely deep in this draft, so I think we'll sign Carr OR Mo & draft a CB with the late 1st round pick. TE is also very deep - so we'll try to draft Witten's successor (this is probably his last year ... :( )

I hope Wilcox stays on a low $ deal - he's a solid contributor.

Jimmy G has announced he is no longer a patriot via instagram... I wonder who's landed the big fish?

I wonder if the Texans went for him?
I'd be surprised.. Only offer they could give is 1st round this year and 1st round next year.. Which would screw them over for next years draft leaving a 3rd rounder at present.

Fairly confident it'll be Browns for 12th this year + 2nd rounder next year just acquired from Texans.

Edit - multiple sources say its a hack.. But the picture and comment remains up. Jimmy must be one heavy sleeper.

Also - I focused on the draft picks, of course they could always trade one of their stars like Hopkins, Watt or Clowney. All three seem unlikely though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom