• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

NFL - Offseason, Draft & 2017/18 Season

I actually think it's a great trade.
Tons of room under the cap. Take his salary for the year, and cut him next year (the real money is in the 1st two years of the deal anyways) or trade him.
They also got a 2nd which is a key move imo - 2nd are key to get 1st round trade ups.

Their O-line should be good, and they'll get the best DE prospect since Clowney and the 12 pick ...
They'll be a good team in 2-3 years imo.

Very good analysis, except you forgot one important fact - they are the Cleveland Browns ;)

Pats added another two yesterday.. Ealy to replace Mingo. For the cost of 8 places in the draft

And added another Cooks from NO. 1st and 3rd round picks going to NO.

Currently we are starting late on day 2 in the draft. But damn, what a set of weapons we have currently on offence.

Seems that we like Derek Barnet and Takkarist McKinley as possible draft choices re DE and pass rushers.

No chance at Barnett - he'll be gone (at the latest by 20).

Takkarist will be in the 2nd round imo, but based on combine rumbles, I like the idea of Taco

Patriots sign Burkehead (I have no knowledge of how good he is), and resigned Hightower. This is the offseason that keeps on giving.

If somehow Patriots manage to swap JG for the overall first pick, that'd give them that additional 'star' DE that they probably need (Garrett). It'd certainly put them as heavy heavy favourites for the AFC. If Browns give that up, damn.

I expect Butler may be traded today for the late 1st round pick they acquired from Patriots + late 2018 pick. (no way they surrender they #11 pick, but there is a deal to be done especially after the Cooks trade relations are good)

Some analysts are predicting that BB is abandoning setting his team up for the future and will bow out when Brady retires, personally I can't see that. Exciting times ahead.

There is 0 chance the Patriots get #1 for Jimmy G ... No chance whatsoever.
They're already the heavey favorites for the AFC, if not the Super Bowl.

There is 0 chance the Patriots get #1 for Jimmy G ... No chance whatsoever.
They're already the heavey favorites for the AFC, if not the Super Bowl.
Any other team but Browns... I'd agree. You just don't know.

Smart money suggests the 2nd first rounder plus 2nd rounder next year.

Any other team but Browns... I'd agree. You just don't know.

Smart money suggests the 2nd first rounder plus 2nd rounder next year.

If I'm the Browns, I draft a QB for HUe to develop (The UNC lad will drop it seems).
I am a bit amazed the Patriots are going to trade BUtler ... but that's why they've been top for so long, no sentimentality.

If I'm the Browns, I draft a QB for HUe to develop (The UNC lad will drop it seems).
I am a bit amazed the Patriots are going to trade BUtler ... but that's why they've been top for so long, no sentimentality.

Butler isn't very bright from what I gather, or at least he had some terrible advice. When Patriots tell you, "you have no leverage" during contract negotiations. It means just that. No games being played here.

It was reported Butler was offered a deal between $6-7m before the beginning of last season for 5 years. This was practically a gift from Bill as a thank you for winning the super bowl. The deal would have kicked in immediately. This would have generated between $30-35m if the full contract played out and in all probability would have given him a platform to become a true legend rather than a cult hero.

As it stands however, Butler and his agent rejected the deal- so he earned $0.6m last year, stands in line to earn less than $4m this year as a RFA if he stays with NE. Next year NE could franchise him for approx $12m, and then franchise him for a second year for $14m. Granted this would give him c.$30m for one year less, but it's also more risky. I guess it's a case of how much stability at a proven top franchise is worth vs getting a payday.

Besides, he's probably worth what? Max $8-9m a season, so by NE keeping him for two years at the lower rate and then cutting him before Franchise, he'd earn probably the same amount over the 5 years than if he signed the deal in the first please

Best deal for Butler is to get out of town, but I can't see NO offering up that #11 pick. Nor will any other team give up a first round pick. Hence why it makes sense for NO to give the #32 pick back to NE plus a late draft pick this year or a mid draft pick next year.

Do I want Butler to stay? Hell yes. He's a good CB.

Last edited:
Lucky for you (& the Cowboys, who just lost Carr & Claiborne), this is a INCREDIBLE draft for CBs ...

The two sleepers are the kid from Colorado & the UCLA (Fabrice something). Both will be late 1st rounders, or 2nd day picks.

I wonder who will pick the WashU CB who tore his Achilles ... He would have been a top 15 pick ...

Yeh, that's the kind of signing BB would make to surprise everyone if he had the #32 pick, everyone is expecting him to slide 2 rounds.

Yeh, that's the kind of signing BB would make to surprise everyone if he had the #32 pick, everyone is expecting him to slide 2 rounds.

Nah ... He has Cowboys written all of him (Jaylon Smith from last year rings a bell - who seems to be healthy)

Petersen visiting Pats today. 32 but could still offer something...

Also read that Dion Jordan released by Dolphins, I wouldn't be surprised if was looked at by Patriots, even if ultimately he fails a physical and/or drugs test.

Romo released - expected to retire rather than join another franchise. Intriguing, I had him nailed on for Texans. Must know he would fail any medical IMO.

Romo released - expected to retire rather than join another franchise. Intriguing, I had him nailed on for Texans. Must know he would fail any medical IMO.

... or he realized he has decent health still and a young family, and his desire to compete isn't as great as his willingness to have a normal life with his family?

His desire to compete was NEVER any good.
He was fucking muck.
Wish he stayed around. The cowboys were shit with him and never close to being contenders. Last season was the first time in a long time I was worried.
Come back Tony I need you in Dallas.

He was fucking muck.
Wish he stayed around. The cowboys were shit with him and never close to being contenders. Last season was the first time in a long time I was worried.

You're being really harsh - one of the top QBs of his era. Carried the Cowboys year after the year.
He never had a great defense on this club ... which was what really hurt him, and is Jerry's big failure.
Heck, even our NE fan @Whaddapie will agree.

You're being really harsh - one of the top QBs of his era. Carried the Cowboys year after the year.
He never had a great defense on this club ... which was what really hurt him, and is Jerry's big failure.
Heck, even our NE fan @Whaddapie will agree.

Oi, there is more than one NE fan on these boards. As a a NE fan, I lean towards Oncy's assessment. He was good, but never a great. Overhyped in my opinion solely because he was a Cowboy. And what the fuck was he thinking when he started dating Jessica "Buffalo Wings" Simpson.

Oi, there is more than one NE fan on these boards. As a a NE fan, I lean towards Oncy's assessment. He was good, but never a great. Overhyped in my opinion solely because he was a Cowboy. And what the fuck was he thinking when he started dating Jessica "Buffalo Wings" Simpson.

'overhyped'? He was one of the most despised QBs in the last decade, and that's AFTER being a undrafted rook from some Division II school ...
Check out his stats ... his 4th quarter stats ... He had a really good career - and manufactured it on some pretty shitty teams.
Is he an all-time great? For the Cowboys, sure - below Aikman, Stauback and Meredith.
That's enough for me ...

Whaddapie is a better barometer as he lives in Dallas and has dealt with the non-stop attacks on Romo by ... Cowboy fans!

Romo was an excellent QB, who deserves more praise than he got...

During his prime, he was saddled with the most inept GM / owner in sports, who made decision after decision that hurt his chance to actually lead his team anywhere. They were only real contenders two, maybe three times during his career, yes... But that cannot be put on his shoulders. For many years, he and Jason Witten were practically all that they had.

He's a strange one for me, in that he's either loved or loathed, with little middle ground for most... His fans often overrate him while his detractors underrate him equally. He's not a great, but nor is he only ok... There's a middle ground. Over the last 10+ years, the elite were obvious: Brady, Manning, Rogers and possibly Rothlisburger and Brees. After that, there's a gaggle of really good but not quite elite QBs, and Romo is deffo at the top of that list.

Yes, he made high-profile mistakes. But who hasn't? They all did. Montana handed the Bengals his 4th Superbowl, but the CB dropped it... Likewise, Brady should've been picked off one play before he won in Houston 2 months ago. They all fuck up. Very few felt the heat that Romo did for those mistakes. Like I say, he was always either too loved or too criticized.

Remember, Marino won sweet fuck all too. Likewise Dan Fouts. And plenty of other HOF QBs. Not saying Romo's a HOF QB, just making the point.

He was very, very good. Never elite for me, but top of the 2nd tier QBs.

And let's not be too silly - He absolutely gets extra points for bedding Jessica Simpson...

Romo was an excellent QB, who deserves more praise than he got...

During his prime, he was saddled with the most inept GM / owner in sports, who made decision after decision that hurt his chance to actually lead his team anywhere. They were only real contenders two, maybe three times during his career, yes... But that cannot be put on his shoulders. For many years, he and Jason Witten were practically all that they had.

He's a strange one for me, in that he's either loved or loathed, with little middle ground for most... His fans often overrate him while his detractors underrate him equally. He's not a great, but nor is he only ok... There's a middle ground. Over the last 10+ years, the elite were obvious: Brady, Manning, Rogers and possibly Rothlisburger and Brees. After that, there's a gaggle of really good but not quite elite QBs, and Romo is deffo at the top of that list.

Yes, he made high-profile mistakes. But who hasn't? They all did. Montana handed the Bengals his 4th Superbowl, but the CB dropped it... Likewise, Brady should've been picked off one play before he won in Houston 2 months ago. They all fuck up. Very few felt the heat that Romo did for those mistakes. Like I say, he was always either too loved or too criticized.

Remember, Marino won sweet fuck all too. Likewise Dan Fouts. And plenty of other HOF QBs. Not saying Romo's a HOF QB, just making the point.

He was very, very good. Never elite for me, but top of the 2nd tier QBs.

And let's not be too silly - He absolutely gets extra points for bedding Jessica Simpson...

Bedding I had no issue with, but to enter into a 2 year relationship with her? Your assessment is spot on by the way. I think he's in that 2nd Tier.

He was fucking muck.

Sorry mate - That first line is nonsense... One of his finest ever performances happened whilst he had broken ribs and a punctured lung. The desire was never in question. The decision making at times, for sure, but not his heart.

... or he realized he has decent health still and a young family, and his desire to compete isn't as great as his willingness to have a normal life with his family?

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will reportedly retire and join CBS Sports as the top NFL analyst alongside Jim Nantz, according to John Ourand of the Sports Business Daily and Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The report noted "Romo's decision came down to his health" because the quarterback "believes his family and his health are paramount at this time in his life."

Back
Top Bottom