• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nikica Jelavic

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Binny

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Nikica-Jelavic_2643553.jpg

Nationality: Croatian
DOB: 27 Aug 85
Height: 187cm
Weight: 84kg

LIVERPOOL are back on the trail of Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic.

Kop boss Kenny Dalglish failed in a dramatic late bid for the Ibrox hitman at the end of the summer transfer window.

But now he is ready to swoop once again — and hopes a £7.5million bid will seal a deal for the Croat striker.

Dalglish and Liverpool director of football Damien Comolli are scouring Europe for a proven goalscorer, and Anfield sources have confirmed prolific hitman Jelavic is high on their list of January targets.

But Dalglish will face competition from fellow Premier League side West Brom and ambitious Championship club Leicester.

Dalglish is desperate to secure a top- four finish and a Champions League place — but his side are currently seventh suffering from an acute lack of goals.

Record £35m buy Andy Carroll has scored just three times this season — and one of them was against Exeter in the Carling Cup. Luis Suarez has netted seven.

Jelavic is already on 12 after scoring an impressive 19 in his injury-hit first term following a £4m move from Rapid Vienna.

With Leicester and West Brom also circling and Steven Naismith out for the season, Light Blues boss Ally McCoist is desperately hoping that club owner Craig Whyte will fend off all offers for his star striker.

Back in Aug 2011

Rangers said: "Rangers Football Club can confirm that they have today rejected a £6.5m bid for striker Nikica Jelavic from English Championship side Leicester City."

Dated May this yr:

Just days before the crunch game against Kilmarnock, Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic has claimed Manchester United are interested in signing him in the summer for around £13 million.

The striker has scored 18 goals this season for Rangers and he has confirmed the reports in the Croatian media.

Jelavic said: “I know United are interested. My agent has established contact with them but that’s all I know. My agent has mentioned a figure of £13million and I came to Rangers for £4m so it would be a big gain for the club.”

Very heartened to hear the club is desperate to bring in a striker in January; worried that this is the striker they seem to be looking at. Don't think he's what we need but haven't seen a great deal of him so am open to other's comments.

JOHN WARK wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry if Liverpool bought Nikica Jelavic in January.

Scotland legend Wark is convinced close pal Kenny Dalglish would kill off his beloved Rangers' hopes of four-in-a-row by grabbing the prolific Croat.

But ex-Anfield idol Wark is also certain Jelavic would take the Reds to the next level in the Premier League.

Liverpool manager Dalglish has resurrected his interest in Jelavic after a failed summer transfer window move.

Wark said: "It would be a massive blow for Rangers if they lost Jelavic. Bad enough to lose them the league — and I would be very disappointed about that.

"But he'd also be a brilliant signing for Liverpool. I've no doubts Jelavic would be good enough for my old club.

"Liverpool need another proven goalscorer to give Luis Suarez some support because Andy Carroll is finding things difficult.

"And I'm sure a Suarez-Jelavic partnership would be fantastic.

"Jelavic would become an even better player surrounded by the guys at Liverpool.

"Dalglish wants to get them back as title challengers and that will take a bit of time.

"Jelavic is the type of player who can help restore the status Liverpool once had.

"But I've always been a Rangers supporter, so it's a very difficult one for me!

"Liverpool's a great club and it was special for me to play for them.

"I still turn out for the club's legends team and I'll be back at Anfield on the 18th for the former players' Christmas party.

"I'll hopefully see Kenny then and I'll be telling him to keep his hands off Jelavic.

"I'd be happier if he found another striker."

Wark has seen enough Jelavic goals on TV to feel sure he would become the new darling of the Kop.

He added: "Jelavic scores all kinds of goals and he looks a very good player.

"He's got great movement, plenty of skill and is a strong finisher.

"He's an intelligent striker and he would get plenty of chances at Liverpool.

"To have someone like Kenny watching you is about as good a compliment as you can get. He's made some excellent signings. He knows a player.

"Carroll cost £35million and there's a lot of pressure on him.

"But he's at Liverpool on a five-year deal and I'm sure he'll eventually settle and do well.

"Carroll could be a good player for them, but the problem is he has only scored three goals this season.

"Dalglish needs to get someone in up front and I can understand him being interested in Jelavic.

"But I wouldn't like him to leave Rangers. Without Jelavic they would only have Kyle Lafferty available.

"It would be hard for Jelavic to turn down Liverpool.

"I'm also worried about the money situation at Rangers. It would be very difficult for them to knock back big money for Jelavic or any of their top men."

RANGERS will only consider selling star-man Nikica Jelavic next month if any interested clubs trigger their £10million valuation of the Croatian striker.

Speculation continues to grow that Jelavic will be sold when the January transfer window opens, with Liverpool and West Brom said to be tracking the player and weighing up £7.5m offers.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has held fresh talks with Jelavic over his future, and has been assured that he is happy and is not desperate to leave.

That said, the club’s hierarchy are acutely aware there is interest in the man signed from Rapid Vienna 18 months ago for £4m.

A senior source, however, told SportTimes there has been no contact from either Liverpool or West Brom.

No bids have been tabled for Jelavic since the last hours of the transfer window in August, when an agent made Rangers aware that Leicester would be willing to up their previously rejected £6m offer for the 26-year-old to £8m, plus a further £1m in add-ons dependent on several clauses.

McCoist met owner and chairman Craig Whyte last night to discuss the transfer strategy for January, and it is believed it will take the sum of £10m for Gers to be tempted to do any business on Jelavic.

Although no approaches have been made yet to his agent for discussions to increase the salary and length of his current contract – which has two-and-a-half years still to run – this has not been ruled out as Rangers look to fully protect their main asset.

Despite ongoing concerns over the club’s finances, we understand that McCoist has been assured by Whyte that a budget will be there for him to pursue new faces – although it won’t be massive and will require some smart shopping from the man who is trying to drive Rangers on to four-in-a-row.

He has also been told that there is no demand for star players to be sold, although Whyte knows that given the financial climate in Scotland, massive offers will be impossible to resist.

McCoist’s concern was whether he will be given funds to buy replacements if, for instance, someone met their valuation of Jelavic, but he has been told that money would be there for him to bring new players in, with strikers and wide midfielders a priority.

Fringe players such as club captain Davie Weir, John Fleck, Northern Ireland striker David Healy and Spanish midfielder Juan Ortiz, who only arrived in the summer, could all move on next month to boost McCoist’s kitty and release wages.

HE has 100 caps for his country and has shackled strikers from every corner of the globe.

During his time with Fulham in the Premiership he faced the very best.

It's fair to say Carlos Bocanegra can spot a goal-machine when he sees one.

And that's why the USA skipper rates Nikica Jelavic as PRICELESS to Rangers right now.

Valued at £10million by the SPL champions, the Croat is once again attracting interest from down south.

Liverpool, West Brom and Leicester City are all eyeing January swoops for a hitman Bocanegra believes would grace any league in the world.

After watching Jelavic keep Gers' clear at the top of the SPL with two goals against Hibs, Bocanegra is praying Gers can keep the transfer window vultures at bay.

He said: "Some people think goals come cheap in Scotland.

"But Nikica is a fantastic player, he's definitely top quality.

"He plays for Croatia and has all the qualities to go wherever.
But hopefully we'll keep him.

"Jela is a goalscorer and that's why so many people want him, but he's a big part of our team and really important to us.

"He hasn't spoken about the speculation, it's not something you want to ask about. It's his business, but hopefully he'll stay.

"People come in for him and obviously he's been scoring goals like this for a while, so he's going to be a target.

"If he was to go that would mean the loss of two huge players with Stevie Naismith out for the season.

"If he does go hopefully we can get someone in.

"Jelavic has been fantastic for us, but you can't really worry about what will happen now.

"Sometimes that's football and people move clubs, it's just the way it is." Bocanegra, 32, returned to help marshall a Gers defence that held firm against Hibs.

Jelavic's two goals were enough to give them three points and maintain their four-point lead over Celtic.

Heaven help us.

Firstly, he's not very good at all.

Secondly, he did a Mascherano on Rapid Vienna a few hours before a Europa League play-off match against Aston Villa and refused to play.

So: Average footballer + asshole = Fuck off.

I wonder if he's a late bloomer Holle. His chance conversion rate for Rangers has been absolutely excellent. Rangers have been the anti-Liverpool this season- creating relatively few chances, but taking them. His goals have been a mixture of proper poacher's efforts, and some truly spectacular finishes. He reminds me a bit of Berbatov type player, he's clever, as well as being pretty clinical.

Of course, Scotland can make strikers look a lot better than they actually are (Kenny Miller looked like a world beater) so I wouldn't be 100% convinced. If he was cheap enough, I'd back him to convert a greater percentage of chances than either jimmy Nail or Suarez. 10m would be risky though.

Rangers forward Nikica Jelavic has said that he isn’t considering leaving the club in January.

Jelavic, who scored his 13th and 14th goals of the season against Hibernian on Sunday, was the subject of transfer bids in the summer. Since then, there have been several links to a move to England.

The striker has said that he is aware of the speculation about his future but insists that it isn’t something that is preying on his mind.

“Every day, when I open the newspapers, I'm moving to another club,” Jelavic told the Daily Record.

“It's nice to think so many teams are interested in me from the strongest league in the world but I'm not thinking about a transfer right now.”

Jelavic moved to Ibrox from Rapid Vienna in August 2010 for a fee in the region of £4 million, signing a four year contract.

Despite a signigificant spell on the sidelines through injury, he scored 19 goals in 31 appearances in his debut season.

Martin O’Neill is weighing up a January transfer swoop for Nikica Jelavic.

The new Sunderland manager is desperate to add firepower to his shot-shy side and Sportsmail understands the Rangers striker is high on his list of targets.

With Nicklas Bendtner and Connor Wickham the only fit out-and-out strikers at the Stadium of Light, O’Neill has prioritised a new front man — and the Croatia international ticks all the boxes.

It is unlikely Rangers would let their star man go for less than £7million and O’Neill must decide if he is prepared to spend the bulk of his January kitty — around £10m — on one player.

O’Neill has a track record of plundering both halves of the Old Firm since leaving Celtic in 2005.

As Aston Villa manager, he signed Shaun Maloney and Stilian Petrov from Celtic and went to Rangers to take Carlos Cuellar a year later.

West Bromwich Albion, meanwhile, are also to the forefront of the chase for the 26-year-old, while Kenny Dalglish’s Liverpool have been linked with a move for the Ibrox icon.

One major advantage for Roy Hodgson is the West Midlands side’s willingness to let Graham Dorrans move in the opposite direction to his boyhood heroes, which would solve one problem for Ally McCoist.

While losing Jelavic would undoubtedly be a huge setback to Rangers’ hopes of retaining the SPL title, gaining an attacking midfielder would soften the blow.

For their part, West Brom are the English Premiership’s joint-lowest scorers and badly need that to change to move away from the lower reaches of the table.

Jelavic joined Rangers on a four-year deal from Rapid Vienna for £4m in 2010 and proved an instant hit, scoring 33 goals so far.

He looks quite good to me, especially for that sort of money. Whether he is good enough to step up to the PL and Liverpool is another matter. I'd rather someone else take the risk first.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=47839.msg1443813#msg1443813 date=1323943315]
He looks quite good to me, especially for that sort of money. Whether he is good enough to step up to the PL and Liverpool is another matter. I'd rather someone else take the risk first.
[/quote]

Phil Thompson once said that about Cristiano Ronaldo.. Look what happened..

Charlie Adam is also a prime example of a player from lower leagues, being able to step upto the plate..

Suarez is arguably another..

Worth the punt if you ask me.. a good possibility he could do well surrounded by better players.. If he knows where the goal is, that's all that matters...

[quote author=jono@home link=topic=47839.msg1443827#msg1443827 date=1323946523]
[/quote]

Charlie Adam is also a prime example of a player from lower leagues, being able to step upto the plate..

Worth the punt if you ask me.. a good possibility he could do well surrounded by better players.. If he knows where the goal is, that's all that matters...
[/quote]

I don't know where to begin.

[quote author=Squiggles link=topic=47839.msg1443836#msg1443836 date=1323947482]
[quote author=jono@home link=topic=47839.msg1443827#msg1443827 date=1323946523]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't know where to begin.

[/quote]

Note I am not saying he is the answer.. point is, its easily to dismiss such a player because he plays in a 'lower league... '. However you have to take into account the players he is surrounded by. Being surrounded by better players you would think he would up his game, given the amount of chances we create you would like to think a player of his standard could only benefit from that.

Truth is we are crying out for a Hernandez type player.. I'm not saying this chap is.. but he does has a good goal poachers instinct.. Because of that I think he is worth the punt at the right price..

EVERTON are ready to battle Sunderland for Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic.

Toffees boss David Moyes is desperate to bolster his strikeforce in the January transfer window and has made Jelavic his top target.

Moyes launched a bid to take him to Goodison in 2010, but moved too late to stop him leaving Rapid Vienna for Ibrox in a £4million deal.

Rangers' financial woes mean they are vulnerable to losing top scorer Jelavic who has already hit 14 goals this season.

Last night Gers boss Ally McCoist confessed for the first time that he fears losing Jela next month. He said: "It's not something I want to happen but it's also not something I can rule out. It's as simple as that."

Although West Brom, Liverpool and even Manchester United have also been linked with the Croatia international, the main worry for Moyes will be the interest of Sunderland.

New Black Cats boss Martin O'Neill will be given money to spend in January and funds at Everton remain too tight to enter a bidding war.

McCoist added: "I know Martin. I worked with him on television. He is an absolute diamond, a class act.

"I'd rather Jelavic stayed here. The speculation's affected him, but he keeps doing the business. I was really pleased with him last week against Hibs. I hope he can continue that form against Caley. He's vital."

Moyes last night agreed a two-month loan deal with LA Galaxy striker Landon Donovan.

With Apostolos Vellios Everton's leading league scorer with three goals, Moyes is desperate for a long-term solution.

Good finisher and decent in the air, but i don't think he's good enough for a team aspiring to make the Champions League.

For an Everton or Newcastle he's more than good enough though.

Looks like the chances of him moving to England is increasing.

QPR have joined the £8million race for Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic.

Loftus Road manager Neil Warnock is looking to make more additions to his squad during the January transfer window as he bids to keep the London club in the Premier League.

New QPR owner Tony Fernandes is backing his boss and Jelavic is on the list of next month’s targets.

QPR were represented at Ibrox at the weekend for the game against Inverness as a dossier is built on the Croat.

Despite having a below-par game Jelavic is a much-admired attacker and courting interest from several clubs in England and abroad.

Warnock was able to make good investment in the August window but the team are averaging less than a goal a game in the league and he is understood to have looked at Celtic’s Gary Hooper.

Rangers are desperate to keep Jelavic as they chase a fourth-successive title.

But with cash tight in Scottish football, a massive offer from the moneybags English top flight may be too lucrative to resist.

Are the clubs jumping on the bandwagon or is he really worth the 'risk'?

ATLETICO Madrid are considering making a move for Nikica Jelavic.

The La Liga giants have been made aware of the Rangers striker’s availability and have placed him under consideration.

New Atletico coach Diego Simeone has been promised funds to bolster his squad and a striker is the priority.

The club’s director of football Jose Caminero has been dealing with the Jelavic situation and it’s understood he’s keen on the 26-year-old.

Rangers have told interested parties they want £10million for Jelavic.

That has scared off several suitors but Atletico haven’t ruled themselves out – although a figure of around £7.5m appeals more.

Clubs down south who are keen have all made it clear they won’t meet the asking price.

Article before our Newcastle match:

LIVERPOOL are poised to move for Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic.

Kop director of football Damien Comolli spied on the Croat in Gers' 1-0 defeat to Celtic on Wednesday.

Comolli, Liverpool's chief talent-finder, joined the likes of Everton's David Moyes and West Brom boss Roy Hodgson in running the rule over the £10million-rated, 14-goal hitman.

Jelavic didn't shine at Parkhead
, but it's understood Comolli and Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish are still keen to lodge a bid.

Liverpool had reignited their interest in Jelavic after a dramatic late bid in August was kicked out.

A host of other clubs are on the trail of the 26-year-old who cost £4m from Rapid Vienna in August 2010.

Everton, Sunderland, West Brom, QPR and Leicester are all keen.

Gers boss Ally McCoist desperately wants club owner Craig Whyte to resist all bids.

But it's becoming increasingly likely a transfer fight for Jelavic is set to kick-off — with Liverpool favourites.

Comolli was also believed to be watchjng Celtic pair Beram Kayal and Ki Sung-Yueng. Dalglish's side — just 21 goals in 18 league games — have drawn their last two games.

Have heard he's been only half-arsed for Rangers since the speculation has grown. As Holle suggested earlier, questionable attitude.

There's a few decent goals in there but this has Jovanovic written all over it. Only difference is that this one seems rather expensive.

Without having seen him play ever I say let's stay well clear. The Scottish league has declined no end of late and as he's already in his late twenties there's absolutely no way this would be a good buy.

Won't happen.

I watched him play in the Old Firm last week, he's alright but he's never going to be a regular scorer in the Premiership

I'd rather we splash 24m on 27 yo Bent than 10m on 26 yo Jelavic . :-[ - if I really have to make a choice out of the two

Nikica Jelavic's odds to join Liverpool have gone from 6/1 earlier to 5/4 now

RANGERS have left striker Nikica Jelavic out of the squad to face Motherwell, prompting fresh speculation over his future.

Jelavic, 26, had a niggling injury before last week's Old Firm clash but was passed fit.

It is unknown whether that injury is the reason for his omission
by boss Ally McCoist ahead of today's clash.

The latest development came after it emerged that Rangers had given an English agent a mandate to move the Croat on during the transfer window.

Jelavic was the subject of a £6.5m bid from Leicester during the summer window, with the offer turned down by owner Craig Whyte.

QPR have been credited with an interest in the frontman, as have fellow Premier League side West Brom.

Rangers are said to want £10m for Jelavic, with funds being used to strengthen the side after they slipped behind Celtic in the SPL title race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom