• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

One to watch: Jores Okore

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the_khl

This lad is a bit of a comet.

Having only just broke into the first team at minors FC Nordsjælland in the early days of 2011 he found himself picked for Morten Olsen's Danish national team only around 6 months later due to injuries to key defenders such as Simon Kjær and Mathias Zanka. Got around 30 minutes of playing time in the pivotal home victory over neighbours Sweden.

Ivorian born Jores Okore, 19-year-old, is a bit of a trademark build Ivorian. Atheltic, strong, agile, pacy and powerful. Yaya Toure meets Kalou in terms of physical appearance.

Combine these great physical attributes, alongside his calm and grounded personality, with the tactical nous of the Danish youth coaches at B93 and FCN (both well-known for their great job with young players) as well as the coaches at Denmark's U21 team, and you've suddenly got a player with quite some range of skills despite his tender age.

Very calm on the ball and not affraid of moving it out on the floor. Very decent passer of the ball and reads the game tremendously well for such a young lad. There's a good chance he'll be included in Olsen's squad for the Euro's where he most likely won't play mind but the experience will do him good.

I wouldn't recommend signing him already but I hope his name is on the 'prospect list' as it really should be. Won't come anywhere near as expensive as many other talents baring in mind he's playing in Denmark.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=48227.msg1461096#msg1461096 date=1326197537]
A comet? You mean he's got a long tail?
[/quote]

A comet. Is that only a Danish expression with regards to someone breaking into the limelight within a short period of time?

Anyways that's what I tried to explain.

Hope I don't get an 8 day ban on here now...

[quote author=KHL link=topic=48227.msg1461100#msg1461100 date=1326197839]
[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=48227.msg1461096#msg1461096 date=1326197537]
[/quote]

A comet. Is that only a Danish expression with regards to someone breaking into the limelight within a short period of time?

[/quote]You mean like a shooting star?

[/quote]No he sells Washing machines in his spare time.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew what you meant, Kristian - just joshing you. Actually I think that's a rather good expression, but no, we don't use it in English. You do sometimes hear the expression "shooting star" used in the same way, but not usually in a football context.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=48227.msg1461109#msg1461109 date=1326198594]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I knew what you meant, Kristian - just joshing you. Actually I think that's a rather good expression, but no, we don't use it in English. You do sometimes hear the expression "shooting star" used in the same way, but not usually in a football context.
[/quote]
I knew you were mate :)

I'll go for Shooting Star og Washing Machine salesman in the future.

The People claims that both United, City and ourselves are battling it out for his signature.

Probably bull but thought I'd share. Would be an very interesting signing at least albeit not the finished article.

Manchester United and Liverpool are targeting Danish international defender Jores Okore, after FC Nordsjaelland admit that they will not stand in the 19-year-old's way if a bid does come.

I like his name.

Jores Okore....sounds positively kryptonian.....so the reference to the comet in the opening post has me convinced...i think he will be a legendary player in the future based only on his name.

Shooting stars fade just as quickly as they appear... just saying. Comet washing machine may last quite a few years though. ;)

Been included in Denmarks squad for the Euro's but probably won't play much. Still great for his developments and he'll get to play in the Champions League this coming Season as well.

His agent has today talked down rumours about a big club move this Summer as he's got no intention of sitting on the bench somewhere instead of getting loads of playing time with FC Nordsjællland. If he continues his progress FCN won't keep him for another Season mind.

According to reports Manchester United and Liverpool could lose out to Swansea City for Denmark defender Jores Okore.

Swans boss Michael Laudrup is understood to be closing in on the FC Nordsjaelland centre-back..

The Daily Star Sunday claims United, Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur have all checked on Okore.

However, it seems the possibility of playing under Laudrup could tempt the defender to join the Swans.

Cheers mate, and probably one of the reasons why he's just been promoted to Vice Captain in FC Nordsjælland despite being only 19-years-old.

Don't think we'll see him move before January at least with Champions League group-matches coming up.

Being linked with Juve and Manchester United today and his agent now likens his situation with former Firenze starlet Matija Nastasic - now Man City - whom was sold for around £12M + Savic.

Okore certainly seems a true:

halley.jpg

I like his name.

Jores Okore....sounds positively kryptonian.....so the reference to the comet in the opening post has me convinced...i think he will be a legendary player in the future based only on his name.
He must be Obama's Danish Cousin .

KHL you bastard - did you sell your scout tips to Fergie?

Sir Alex Ferguson has made the signing of a centre-back his priority for January – and Denmark international Jores Okore is on his radar.
The Manchester United boss is also keeping tabs on goalkeeper Fraser Forster, hero of Celtic’s thrilling Champions League campaign this term.
Fergie does not like doing business in the mid-season window but has told scouts and contacts that he wants a central defender because of fears over Nemanja Vidic’s fitness and Rio Ferdinand’s long-term future.
And Nordsjaelland star Okore, 20, is high on his list of targets after impressing in his club’s Champions League campaign, despite some heavy defeats.
Okore is regarded as one of Europe’s best emerging centre-backs and has recently broken into the Danish national team.
Born in the Ivory Coast but raised in Denmark, Okore has won rave reviews for his muscular style of play as well as his composure on the ball.

He might actually be one of those worth KHL's hype. Looks an excellent prospect.

I'd have him ahead of Alderweireld.

If we're looking for world class talent, we should be looking at Leon Goretzka of VfL Bochum.

He's the next big thing in Germany.

18 years old, 1.89 m, midfielder.

It's his first season with Bochum; he scored right on his debut. Bochum's manager already wanted to play him last season but he wasn't allowed to because he was too young (in Germany no players who could play for B-juniors are eligible for first teams).

His best position is centre midfield. His style of play is quite similar to Toni Kroos of Bayern Munich.

He's a brilliant footballer with fine technique but is also a powerful tackler and because of his height a constant threat on set pieces.

I'll stick my neck out: this lad's going to be a star.

Cheers mate, will look out for him.

Ps How come Bayern were allowed to field Pierre Emile Højbjerg last week when he's only 17?

Cheers mate, will look out for him.

Ps How come Bayern were allowed to field Pierre Emile Højbjerg last week when he's only 17?

A-juniors which are eligible are players who turn 17 or 18 in the year the season begins. So in the season 2012/13 players born in 1994 and 1995 are eligible. That's why Hojbjerg could play. Goretzka is also born in 1995 but the season before started in 2011, so he turned 16 the year that season began. That's why he wasn't allowed to play in 2011/12.

The Blues saw an offer for the highly-rated 20-year-old accepted, but were spurned by the player.

Okore claims he snubbed the approach because first team football is of vital importance to him at this stage of his career, and he could have found himself stuck on the bench at Stamford Bridge.

The Denmark international is eager to test himself at the highest possible level in the future, but insists he is happy to further his development in Scandinavia for now.

Okore told TV2 Denmark: "I chose to turn it down (the Chelsea offer) as it did not fit the strategy I have for my future. My biggest wish is to play first team football and that was not something that was on the cards."

Asked if he should have accepted the deal while the opportunity was there, he added: "Sure, if you are interested in the money, then it would have been the right decision.

"But I love to play football and I want to play football on a regular basis, so if I keep on impressing and playing then I am certain I can develop my game so I can play for Chelsea in the future.

"It was difficult turning down Chelsea, but it would also have been difficult turning down Manchester United.

"You have to think about your own future and I am only 20 years old. For me first team football is the priority. In a couple of years we can talk about money, big clubs and regular football there."

Paul Lambert’s latest transfer target, Denmark defender Jores Okore, has received an enthusiastic endorsement from compatriot and former Villa favourite Martin Laursen.

Villa are believed to be in ongoing negotiations for the 20-year-old centre-half having had an original bid for an undisclosed amount rejected by his club FC Nordsjaelland.

But the defender, who is expected to play for Denmark against Armenia in Copenhagen tonight (Tuesday), has been given the seal of approval by someone who used to play in the same position at Villa.

Laursen watched Okore train with the Danish national squad last weekend and believes he has the raw potential to become a success in the Premier League.

“He’s very fast and physically really strong – he is a big boy,” said Laursen.

“I think he’s got the right mentality. He sounds like a very nice person with both feet on the ground and he wants to work hard, so that’s very important.

“He is definitely one of the best defenders in Denmark.

"Right now the best two are Daniel Agger, of Liverpool, and Simon Kjaer, who plays for Wolfsburg in Germany.

“They are the regulars but they are both injured at the moment. Okore has played in a friendly and then Denmark will play again on Tuesday.

“I think he will play that game so Aston Villa will definitely see him.”

Okore helped FC Nordsjaelland win the Danish Superliga in 2012 and they were runners-up this year having also participated in last season’s Champions League.

He attracted interest from Chelsea in January despite playing in their 4-0 home defeat to the Londoners and missed the return match which ended in a 6-1 drubbing at Stamford Bridge.

But Laursen reckons Okore is much better suited to Villa and realises it because he would have a stronger chance of regular first-team football under Lambert at his former club.

“In the papers in Denmark they wrote that Chelsea wanted to sign him in January, but he said no he didn’t want to go there because he wanted to find a place where he could play regularly,” said Laursen.

“I think that’s very wise of him. Aston Villa would be easier for him to play than Chelsea definitely, but he would have to work hard.

“It’s his best chance because he wants to leave FC Nordsjaelland.

“He wants to try a new experience and also find a place where he can test himself better because I think it’s too easy for him in Denmark now.

“He has to try a better league and with the qualities that he’s got then I don’t think it’s a bad choice if he can come to Aston Villa.

“He’s played a couple of years here in Denmark and been really good. They won the championship in Denmark and then they played Champions League football, where he got some experience.”

Laursen admits there are weaknesses to Okore’s game but insists all players have room for improvement, particularly at such a tender age.

“Technically he is okay,” he added. “That’s not his best thing. I was not a good technical player either, but I turned out to be good in the Premier League anyway.

“Where he makes some mistakes is to find the right positions and when he has to mark players.

“There you can see he is young and not so experienced, but that will come. He’s only 20 and I wasn’t even a regular in Denmark when I was 20. Playing with the national team will help him mature.

"He’s got the qualities to become a very good centre-half and I think the Premier League will suit him.”

I'm not in a position to compare them, having not seen enough of the 2 but considering the fee mentioned is 4m euros for Okore and Sporting are looking at 10-15m for Ilori, one would hope that we'll pay for what the player's worth, not based on hype/reputation/nationality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom