• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Please Mind The Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxForceFive

6CM Addict
Administrator
David Conn

@david_conn

Premier League: The 'big 6' have won their battle for more ££International TV money; any increase on the current ££ no longer be shared out equally, but according to where clubs finish...

This is fucking awful news for English football at all levels.

We needed other countries to follow suit, not for us to become as restricted as they are now.

Within a few years this gap is going to be practically insurmountable & the haves will be a huge divide away from the have nots.

Top sides go from earning x1.6 more than low-placed sides to x1.8 more with this new deal.

Does it even matter though ? United and city spending the best part of 2 billion between them on transfers in under 2 years has fuck all to do with that TV money and plenty to do with Arabs and leveraged debts.

How much did city make in 'sponsorship revenue' in past 12 months , you know it's faaaaaaaar more than 1.8x whatever west brom or whoever made

It's only based on the international TV pool of money - where that disparity between watching Liverpool or Brighton does actually make sense - and in "real" terms isn't actually a massive difference in money - a total extra pot of £50m in total or whatever, in which the Champions now get an extra £10m, and runners-up about £9m.

It's a small "victory" for John Henry and his "Big 6" pals, probably made to delay or quieten down the veiled threats of breakaway superleagues and court battles for individual TV rights and whatever.

But I'm confused about the other teams who agreed this - doesn't it go to a vote? Or have I got that wrong?

The top 6 each get 5 votes to the remaining sides single vote.

Henry's also been loudly complaining about the general governance and strategy of the media rights and what they're worth, and keeps banging on about "parachute payments" that are unfairly rewarded to relegated clubs, thus entirely missing the entire FUCKING POINT of parachute payments.

I think relegated sides financially imploding would add some real spice to the league.

John Henry being vocal on who should get what in the Premier league

Liverpool owner John Henry says "everyone in the league knows what the large clubs bring to the value of foreign rights" as Premier League Big 6 push for larger slice of overseas TV cash at Thursday's annual meeting

https://t.co/TAacpwfe7w

Interesting Article.. I can't help but agree with him to a certain degree.. Premier League would not be the brand it is without clubs like Liverpool, UTD and Chelsea.. You cannot tell me people overseas get excited about watching Bournemouth vs Burley..

The Premier league uses the big clubs popularity to bring in the deals they do.. It only fair it should be dished out proportionally in a way that benefits those that help sell league in the first place..

At the same time there should also be enough left over to help grassroots and the lower leagues, at the same time these big clubs like ourselves that will bring in this extra revenue must also look to invest monies into the local community and grassroots too..

Last edited:
Just been announced Liverpool have won the right to have money distributed fairly for overseas rights

Champions will receive 80% more money than the team who is relagated

Overall, the total pot of central revenues – domestic and international broadcast rights and sponsorship deals – will be distributed on a 1.8:1 basis, meaning the champions will earn 80% more than the team that finishes last from 2019-20 onward. The current ratio is 1.6:1.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...news/liverpool-owner-john-henry-wins-14755679

It was announced earlier. Not "just" hehe.

Its good for the big 6. Bad for English football in general.

I'll end it there.

Henry pipes up about Liverpool for the first time in ages.
About cash of course, the lizard.

Yeah, but at least he appears to be spunking it on the cream of footballing talent. So fill your boots Mr Reptile.

Yeah, but at least he appears to be spunking it on the cream of footballing talent. So fill your boots Mr Reptile.

You know what - whatever you think of him - he has got us financially in a very good way, bought in the manager most suitable for the club, and also added to the stadium. Plus he ain't making the same mistakes - each season he is improving us as a team without causing financial ruin. I think the FA will take anything out of his mouth quite seriously. I would say as a club we are probably the best run out of all the top 6.

Just been announced Liverpool have won the right to have money distributed fairly for overseas rights

Champions will receive 80% more money than the team who is relagated

Overall, the total pot of central revenues – domestic and international broadcast rights and sponsorship deals – will be distributed on a 1.8:1 basis, meaning the champions will earn 80% more than the team that finishes last from 2019-20 onward. The current ratio is 1.6:1.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...news/liverpool-owner-john-henry-wins-14755679

I've already covered this far more succinctly in another thread. Perhaps I should move my posts about the TV money here. as they are much better, and also actually includes the monies involved, rather than ratios and percentages.

Here you go:

It's only based on the international TV pool of money - where that disparity between watching Liverpool or Brighton does actually make sense - and in "real" terms isn't actually a massive difference in money - a total extra pot of £50m in total or whatever, in which the Champions now get an extra £10m, and runners-up about £9m.

It's a small "victory" for John Henry and his "Big 6" pals, probably made to delay or quieten down the veiled threats of breakaway superleagues and court battles for individual TV rights and whatever.

Have they yet dipped into their own pockets?
I bet our spend is all from sales and CL monies.

I don't get what you want or expect. FSG are a company. We aren't owned as a billionaire's plaything. Is Henry dipping into his personal funds to buy shit for Liverpool? No, but we do appear to be run pretty fucking well just now. We've added to the stadium. We've had a series of very big signings including breaking the record figure for a defender. I don't think we can complain that much.

I don't get what you want or expect. FSG are a company. We aren't owned as a billionaire's plaything. Is Henry dipping into his personal funds to buy shit for Liverpool? No, but we do appear to be run pretty fucking well just now. We've added to the stadium. We've had a series of very big signings including breaking the record figure for a defender. I don't think we can complain that much.

Hahahaha. S'funny.

Have they yet dipped into their own pockets?
I bet our spend is all from sales and CL monies.
But that’s how any sustainable business is conducted surely?
It certainly isn’t a stick to beat FSG with.
If they are not reinvesting the profits they have made - especially now as we stand on the brink of being something special - that’s a big stick to beat them with.

The angst and hysteria about this agreement is ridiculous and presupposes that the top 6 is an immutable block, cast in stone for eternity. What nonsense! Leicester was top of the pile a couple of years ago. Southampton was in the top six, too, while Liverpool and Chelsea were not. In a league with promotion and relegation, it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom