• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poor Owen, never accepted, never loved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fowler's use was limited but he still knocked in a goal every two games during that spell.

At a similar age Owen was doing nothing with United. (5 goals in three years)

I italicised the 'just' because of how fucking phenomenal he was for those early years but he did only have that string to his bow. I only managed to look at the first 7 or 8 goals in the video above but i'd imagine the entirety of it will back that up.

Generally, however its dressed up, 2 players have won us trophies on their own this century, Owen and Gerrard. The rest have huffed and puffed.

It says alot when you are trying to think of a name for that Score! Hero fella and the names that came up was Fowler, Gerrard and Suarez. Strangely Torres, Owen and Coutinho never came up.

It was Owen who introduced me to the harsh realities of football. As a ten year old my bedroom was essentially a shrine to LFC and it was Owen who took up the most wall space.

I still hate the little cunt as much as I did twenty odd years ago and the fact his career went to shit after leaving us is very pleasing.

Sent from my DOOGEE X10 using Tapatalk

I think he was a better footballer than Fowler. I'd have that argument if anyone could be arsed

Still think he's a rat

It was Owen who introduced me to the harsh realities of football. As a ten year old my bedroom was essentially a shrine to LFC and it was Owen who took up the most wall space.

I still hate the little cunt as much as I did twenty odd years ago and the fact his career went to shit after leaving us is very pleasing.

Sent from my DOOGEE X10 using Tapatalk

You must have been some intolerant bastard as a kid [emoji6]. 20 years ago Michael Owen had only just made his LFC debut. What did he do in the early months of the 97/98 season to earn your 10 year old scorn?

I think he was a better footballer than Fowler. I'd have that argument if anyone could be arsed

Still think he's a rat
He was a rat. No doubt. A better footballer than Fowler? No fucking chance lad. He used to ping in shots from miles away and still score them. The guy was a fucking force of nature. Owen was amazing but there is only one God X

Owen made the most of his ability in a way in which Fowler ultimately didn't, but to me that underlines how staggeringly gifted Fowler was. Even at less than full blast he can legitimately be regarded as the best ever when it comes to finishing.

That performance against the arse in the fa cup was game changer. what a player. It was our own fault we didn’t sign him to a contract.

That's probably the best summary of it.
Fowler could pretty much score in any situation he found himself in. Owen was a more limited footballer. So in terms of talent Fowler is miles ahead for me.

That doesn't necessarily mean a team with Fowler would be more likely to be successful than one with Owen, because Owen was stunningly effective.

Just to add (per a couple of points earlier in the thread), Owen absolutely, and most definitely, DOES need the money....

Owen was a more important player for us than Fowler.

Fowler for all his incredible goalscoring feats - achieved fuck all for us really.

I still remember being very down beat when that CL Qualifier was taking place, Owen was on the bench but Rafa wouldn't put him on cos he knew he was going to be sold. Amazing to think how well that season went, but at that point I was pretty depressed about it all - my first real taste/ experience of that taking place.

Reactions: HC
Does Fowler at his height coincide with your height of drug taking and DJing?

Actually, yes. But I was there for his debut when he scored five, first match back post Hillsborough, and only talked into it because we'd only sold 17,000 tickets.

Actually, yes. But I was there for his debut when he scored five, first match back post Hillsborough, and only talked into it because we'd only sold 17,000 tickets.
I think that was his second match.

I still remember being very down beat when that CL Qualifier was taking place, Owen was on the bench but Rafa wouldn't put him on cos he knew he was going to be sold. Amazing to think how well that season went, but at that point I was pretty depressed about it all - my first real taste/ experience of that taking place.

I remember that game only too well. Still get the shivers when I consider how our run to glory nearly didn't even get off the ground.

Yes me too, but as painful as his lingering exit was, I was on the whole positive because we were got one of the most highly-rated young managers in the world, and he brought Garcia and Alonso with him.

Admittedly I didn't know anything about Garcia, but I'd heard quite a bit about Alonso and was very excited

Just a shame that Benitez took so long to actually sign a striker who was anywhere near Owen's level, and we had to put up with fucking Crouch for two seasons

Still remember some divvies saying that they were glad Owen left because Baros was the best young striker in europe and was a great replacement

Ahahahaha

That's quite special. I was at the game for Owen's debut. Or maybe it was his first appearance and he came on as sub?

Anyway, it was away to Wimbledon and he scored a typically cracking Owen goal.

Although I think we may have lost 2-1. Can't be sure. Think they were playing at Crystal Palace's ground at the time. It was a shithole wherever it was

That's quite special. I was at the game for Owen's debut. Or maybe it was his first appearance and he came on as sub?

Anyway, it was away to Wimbledon and he scored a typically cracking Owen goal.

Although I think we may have lost 2-1. Can't be sure. Think they were playing at Crystal Palace's ground at the time. It was a shithole wherever it was
That was his first appearance, he came on as a sub.

I only remember this because I was supposed to be revising for my A-levels at the time and this fucker is younger than me was coming on the pitch.

Yes me too, but as painful as his lingering exit was, I was on the whole positive because we were got one of the most highly-rated young managers in the world, and he brought Garcia and Alonso with him.

Admittedly I didn't know anything about Garcia, but I'd heard quite a bit about Alonso and was very excited

Just a shame that Benitez took so long to actually sign a striker who was anywhere near Owen's level, and we had to put up with fucking Crouch for two seasons

Still remember some divvies saying that they were glad Owen left because Baros was the best young striker in europe and was a great replacement

Ahahahaha

We bought Cisse too that summer - which I think tempered some of the mood. I remember being super excited about Cisse coming into a Houllier team that was all about quick counter attacks (at least how my memory from being 15 years old remembers it).

Amazing to think how many memorable and influential players came either in or out that transfer window.

I attribute my hatred of him to fake news. There was so much bullshit about Fowler being sold, being drunk, a drug addict, out at night clubs, my perception was that everyone had it in for him and were trying to get rid of him. Owen appeared out of nowhere and was scoring goals, it was just a plot to gradually replace God with a false idol, each goal he scored was met with Fowler should have scored that, but ok, I suppose I should be grateful, maybe, fucking midget cunt.

Thankfully everyone else hated him too after he left, so it justified my position.

Absolutely hate him for the way he handled the exit and moved to Mancs.

Then I watch this and eyes tear up "How can I hate you, you wee genius!!!"

That look on GH's face at 1:00. He knew a two seconds before that Owen was going to score.

God, I miss winning cups and finals. I am rambling, I know, gently backs away and exits the thread.

Were you really there? Wow - That was against Fulham I think. A league cup match. I remember reading about it the next day and thinking who the fuck is this Fowler dude. I know we might beg to differ but he is hands down my favourite LFC player. From his funny as fuck line snorting to his trying to say 'it wasn't a penalty' Then the fastest hatrick ever and his postering at Le-Saux. If only he'd have scored that overhead kick that hit the bar on his return debut. I'll forgive him that though. In God I trust! :)

That was our first competitive game after I'd made the choice to support Liverpool. Had no idea about anything but all the fuss was about a player I knew of who was glued to the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom