• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Spurs (H) - Sat - 19:45

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had been thinking that in order to even countenance the quad, Salah would need to be on last year's form. He isn't, and he won't be.

They had less chances, shots, corners, possession and XG for that matter then us as well, but that doesnt fit the narrative when we drop points.

How many clear cut chances did we actually have?

Nah, i dont think last night changes much, it's still a long shot, and I'm still hopeful. I never expected City to draw any of the remaining games, if they do drop points it'll be one of those games where a team attacks them and turns them over.

City rarely draw games cos they generally suffer less against teams who defend deep against them compared to us, their weakness is when teams attack them. We are the opposite, we get these frustrating draws cos we struggle more against teams that defend hard against us, but deal better with teams who attack us.

Of course this is all very fine margins each way, truthfully both teams are brilliant against teams that play either way, but we're each a little better against teams playing the respective ways.

Long and short, in this title race if either team was gonna drop points, it was always going to be us drawing or City losing, last nights result doesn't change much for me because we still win it if City lose a game, assuming they don't go mental with their goal difference in the other matches.
This is actually , the most reasonable post in terms of it not changing much. I have always thought that it would be less painful if we lose the title by 3 points or more rather than one point. It still hurts thinking about that other season.

How many clear cut chances did we actually have?

salah had a couple of good openings for shots, and one right at the start when he should just have squared it to dias
vvd hit the bar, and also had a fairly free header that he missed

as in clear cut, difficult to get one on ones when they are camped in their box with ten men

salah had a couple of good openings for shots, and one right at the start when he should just have squared it to dias
vvd hit the bar, and also had a fairly free header that he missed

as in clear cut, difficult to get one on ones when they are camped in their box with ten men
So their plan worked perfectly. Limited to half chances and set pieces

During the Spurs, Inter, Villereal, and other games including our title-winning season we have this glaring issue with regard to having a Plan B centre midfield. No I'm not talking about rotating Naby, Thiago, Henderson Fabinho. Yes those players have different overlapping skill sets but what they all lack is the ability to beat their man.

Those teams that appear to suss us out do so by shutting down Trent and Robertson as much as possible and then double/triple mark our forwards. Opposition teams do this in full confidence that Liverpool will offer no real threat from the centre mid. In this situation, the other team doesn't have to worry about a ball dribbling centre mid player causing havoc and offering another attack vector. Klopp seems reluctant or outwardly against this type of player. I understand that these types of players are in short supply to be honest but I really do think this is our main priority going forward.

If we had a KDB type in that centre mid then teams that are able to keep Trent/Robertson and front 3 quiet would also have to keep the dribbling centre mid quiet too.

don't get me wrong we are breaking records with regard to our attack, the only thing Im banging on about is having a Plan B where we can come at teams from another angle when we get shut down from our usual vectors. I remember when Klopp actively attacked teams from the centre using Coutinho as a central mid...those days seem long gone. Maybe Carvahlio can be that guy to give us that option, hopefully...

During the Spurs, Inter, Villereal, and other games including our title-winning season we have this glaring issue with regard to having a Plan B centre midfield. No I'm not talking about rotating Naby, Thiago, Henderson Fabinho. Yes those players have different overlapping skill sets but what they all lack is the ability to beat their man.

Those teams that appear to suss us out do so by shutting down Trent and Robertson as much as possible and then double/triple mark our forwards. Opposition teams do this in full confidence that Liverpool will offer no real threat from the centre mid. In this situation, the other team doesn't have to worry about a ball dribbling centre mid player causing havoc and offering another attack vector. Klopp seems reluctant or outwardly against this type of player. I understand that these types of players are in short supply to be honest but I really do think this is our main priority going forward.

If we had a KDB type in that centre mid then teams that are able to keep Trent/Robertson and front 3 quiet would also have to keep the dribbling centre mid quiet too.

don't get me wrong we are breaking records with regard to our attack, the only thing Im banging on about is having a Plan B where we can come at teams from another angle when we get shut down from our usual vectors. I remember when Klopp actively attacked teams from the centre using Coutinho as a central mid...those days seem long gone. Maybe Carvahlio can be that guy to give us that option, hopefully...
Yes this is so true, I dont actually remember a power house type that played for us like that since SG. However, we have a potential in Curtis Jones, but he don't get the game time. I would love him to play with Fab and Thiago.

Spurs cut out our cross field balls time and again which I haven't seen another side do this season

Hope the other teams don't pick that tactic up

We have this player. On the bench yesterday...

No, not the Ox.... But the legend Joel Matip. Suprised he didnt play.

Spurs cut out our cross field balls time and again which I haven't seen another side do this season

I think every way of stopping us has been looked at by every other manager, it is nothing new, they just did it better than most. Also - this season apart from Everton's effort against us at home, I think Spurs are the only other side that truly parked a fucking bus in front of their goal, like it was a proper bomb disposal site. We should stop thinking about this game, and move on. I am more worried about AV now for Tuesday, and how we are going to make up the goal difference. I am with @Woland 's camp now, I think West Ham will fuck City over - Rice will do a job.

Let's forget about this game. We will likely have to forget about the league too, but post mortems are for dead teams and failures. There isn't one here, outside of enforcement of ffp.

Yes this is so true, I dont actually remember a power house type that played for us like that since SG. However, we have a potential in Curtis Jones, but he don't get the game time. I would love him to play with Fab and Thiago.
Yeah it's interesting that you mention Gerrard...Bellingham maybe the answer. I doubt we'll ever see a player like Coutinho type playing for Liverpool in the centre mid even as a Plan b. But maybe some like Bellingham who may isn't an elite dribbler but someone who can brute force his way through as Gerrard used to. At one point Ox could have been that guy but his days are numbered.

They cut them out because Trent left a few short. That aligned with Spurs sitting so deep meant Trent shouldn't even have been trying them on some occasions. It wasn't his best game by a long way. Those crossfield balls work best when the winger/Robbo has space to run into.

It's almost like you don't actually watch us. Naby and Thiago do it almost every game, not in your sense of facing up to and dribbling past players a la Diaz or Mo but they still go past them, with swivels, drops of shoulders, 1-2s and technical wizardry.
You are also ignoring the fact that because most teams sit so deep against us there is literally no midfield space to run into for mazy runs.

I loved watching Coutinho but he wouldn't suit this team because of his lack of pressing and tracking back.

As the old saying goes. He just needs one to go in off his backside. He was OK for me. Mane was the worst of the three.

I still can't fathom why we didn't hook him for Origi for 10 minutes of something different at the end.
Not really true though as he wasnt scoring before the utd game, got 2 against them and then has gone back to not scoring again

Truth is he's been very poor since coming back from ANC

Yeah it's interesting that you mention Gerrard...Bellingham maybe the answer. I doubt we'll ever see a player like Coutinho type playing for Liverpool in the centre mid even as a Plan b. But maybe some like Bellingham who may isn't an elite dribbler but someone who can brute force his way through as Gerrard used to. At one point Ox could have been that guy but his days are numbered.
Yeah I think Ox was supposed to be that guy. Sadly since that injury he has never been the same. But Coutinho ... No, he ain't one to get the ball back and I think Klopp likes the idea of all mids to have the ability of ball recovery. Right now the weakest person in our team who has problems getting the ball back is Salah, but he plays in the front line so less of a risk. If you look at Villa they won that last game with Coutinho on the bench, yes great for creativity but when pressed and we don't have the ball, he can turn into a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom