• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rank Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
Echo put forward that question for the following 5 goalscoring greats:

[article]Rank them
Mohamed Salah
Fernando Torres
Luis Suarez
Michael Owen
Robbie Fowler[/article]

I find this darn near impossible ... it's like 1a, 1b etc

Based on pure finishing class:
God
Owen
Torres
Salah
Suarez

Based on their greatness?
God
Torres
Suarez
Salah
Owen

(Salah will probably climb once we settle on 19/7 and then 20/8 etc

Echo put forward that question for the following 5 goalscoring greats:

[article]Rank them
Mohamed Salah
Fernando Torres
Luis Suarez
Michael Owen
Robbie Fowler[/article]

I find this darn near impossible ... it's like 1a, 1b etc

Based on pure finishing class:
God
Owen
Torres
Salah
Suarez

Based on their greatness?
God
Torres
Suarez
Salah
Owen

(Salah will probably climb once we settle on 19/7 and then 20/8 etc

Based on my thoughts...

Suarez
Fowler
Torres
Owen
Salah

That's a hard one

Based on finishing I'd rank them as:
  1. God
  2. Torres
  3. Salah
  4. Suarez (on average, although he had ridiculous spells where everything went in)
  5. Owen
On skill
  1. Suarez (he did things that I didn't think were possible)
  2. God
  3. Salah
  4. Torres
  5. Owen
Whilst Owen is at the bottom, he played in the least attacking team which meant he naturally got less goals. He also scored in the big games e.g. Roma, The FA Cup Final etc. So it's not meant as a slight, despite my disliking of him.

People here are always qualifying achievements based on trophies won, so Salah also wins it based on being the only one to win big ears with us (and in all likelihood, the only one to win the league title with us too)

And Mo's often played on the wing too.

Fucking hell, God is my favourite player in the list, but Salah is really something special. It's sad how underappreciated he is.

God was doing it as a 18 year old, Owen too ... Suarez almost took a team to the league by himself ... and Torres in that spell was just unplayable, but he was the ONLY real goalscoring threat we had too ... Salah is playing on perhaps the greatest Liverpool team ever - with a great goalscorer in Mane and a capable one in Bobby. I think that's the only thing that is perhaps hurting him ...

We're comparing 5 of the greatest talents that have graced the Premier League (or to be honest, the world) ...

We're comparing 5 of the greatest talents that have graced the Premier League (or to be honest, the world) ...

Exactly, and on goals per game, and big trophies won, Salah tops that incredible list, I'm just saying that is pretty remarkable.

Exactly, and on goals per game, and big trophies won, Salah tops that incredible list, I'm just saying that is pretty remarkable.

It is remarkable ... this current team is great, one of the best ever ... If you put prime Robbie etc on that team, do you think they'd do as well and win? Do you think the previous teams would have won more than they did (bar I think Suarez?) with Salah now?

All impossible to answer really.

Do you think if we were champions of europe and walking our way to a league title with any of those other 4 in the team we'd be talking about replacing them or them being too selfish?

Salah is top because he's fucking don
Fowler is next because he makes me happy
The rest can fuck off

All impossible to answer really.

Do you think if we were champions of europe and walking our way to a league title with any of those other 4 in the team we'd be talking about replacing them or them being too selfish?

Salah - correct me if I'm wrong - has mentioned he dreamed as a kid of playing in La Liga ... so most of us realize that may come up once he's accomplished everything he can with this club. So talking about replacing him (or any player) is just fans talking about a possible reality, or about the obvious reality that seemingly was one of the reasons Klopp signed his contract extension (i.e. ensure the team is ready to continue on once he leaves us).

The selfish bit - ok it doesn't exist, and what we saw earlier this season didn't happen.

It feels we shouldn't discuss various subjects etc due to how great the team & manager are ... Sounds riveting.

Salah - correct me if I'm wrong - has mentioned he dreamed as a kid of playing in La Liga ... so most of us realize that may come up once he's accomplished everything he can with this club. So talking about replacing him (or any player) is just fans talking about a possible reality, or about the obvious reality that seemingly was one of the reasons Klopp signed his contract extension (i.e. ensure the team is ready to continue on once he leaves us).

The selfish bit - ok it doesn't exist, and what we saw earlier this season didn't happen.

It feels we shouldn't discuss various subjects etc due to how great the team & manager are ... Sounds riveting.

Why so defensive mate? I'm just posting my opinion, not attacking yours.

Controversial opinion but, Owen was a better finisher than Salah.

When he went through on goal 1 v 1, you just fucking knew he would score.
Yeah, I agree actually. Even in Salah's 44 goal season he missed some chances that were surprising.

However, when Owen was off form he didn't have close to the same impact that Salah does when he's off form.

Why so defensive mate? I'm just posting my opinion, not attacking yours.

ha ha ok bru - I hope we keep Salah for a few more years, but I wouldn't have an issue with him moving on if he wants to ... time will tell if the dreams he won't achieve there are worth the realities he'll achieve here.

I don't get the apathy towards Salah & a possible move tbh.

So much of our play is dictated by the fact he's on the pitch, he's the most effective forward this league has ever seen in terms of output, & that doesn't even factor in the fact that teams all literally change their entire defensive plan to try to find a way of dealing with him & what that does for the rest of the side.

Yeah, I agree actually. Even in Salah's 44 goal season he missed some chances that were surprising.

However, when Owen was off form he didn't have close to the same impact that Salah does when he's off form.
Agree

Clearly Owen was as ruthless as anything. But his game was speed and finishing. Salah offers more

So much of our play is dictated by the fact he's on the pitch, he's the most effective forward this league has ever seen in terms of output, & that doesn't even factor in the fact that teams all literally change their entire defensive plan to try to find a way of dealing with him & what that does for the rest of the side.

He's normalised brilliance. Some don't appreciate what he offers

Not apathy really - just reality.
Salah has come in, been brilliant and if he wants to fulfill his ambitions/dreams elsewhere, then so be it ... It's stupid to hold him against his will, especially considering what he's accomplished here. I have faith in Klopp n' co to rebuild the team as these greats move on or slow down.
I think it will be 'easier' to replace Salah than VvD

Fowler (emotional pick)
Suarez
Salah
Torres

Can't put Owen in the same list, he's a dick. And ask me again after this season and something might change.

1. Salah as he’s helped us win the league. I can’t be arsed ranking the rest.

If we're talking about in their prime, in form, being able to convert chances:

Fowler
Torres
Suarez
Owen
Salah

Suarez was the best footballer out of that list though when he was on it, just took the piss out of everybody and could do everything.

Yep, Salah is definitely the all round better player but Owens finishing, especially in the earlier years, was fucking mustard. Goals v Newcastle and Nottingham Forest (1 v 1) immediately spring to mind. And the one he scored at Newcastle away where he rubbed his hands together. Top notch that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom