• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Real Madrid (H) Feb 21st [CL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combination of high wages paid and him running out of decent football clubs to manage. It's not overly common for clubs re-hire someone, but yeah, it was odd seeing him at Goodison. I'd love to have seen how quickly he packed his bags when the call from Real Madid came in. I strong suspect there's a Carlo shaped hole still in the office door at Finch Farm.

I reckon he kept a “Go Bag” close by at all times when he was managing Everton.

Well, that was absolutely dreadful but expected. Klopp must be weary of giving pretty much the same explanations at each post-match press conference.

I dunno - I don’t think Gomez is anywhere near as bad as the popular opinion on here seems to be heading.

The first goal is a stretch because it was a world class finish - maybe he could have closed down more, but yarn he’d get spammed for diving in too quickly.

Missed the 3rd goal - but that was all about poor defending from a host of players - everyone was in a line from the replay I saw - fucking terrible defending.

4th - I mean, it’s a deflection- we’ve been criticising defenders for not going - someone posted something along the lines of “standing up straight so as not to obscure Alison’s view as it sails past him into the net” - Farkie maybe?? - one of the funniest things written on here in ages - but he did sort of five in… and pop… deflects it past the keeper.

I think he gets unfairly singled out sometimes - he’s hit that “Lucas point” where people can’t wait to rip in to him.

That’s not saying he’s good - he’s a 4th choice CB that would have been fucked off long ago except he’s probably our fasted defender and the only one that can slot in across the entire back four and he’s homegrown. He also seems like someone who doesn’t moan and complain.

Maybe he should, but I’m seemingly more inclined to cut him a bit of slack than the rest of the world.

Its not just on here, actual reputable football journalists are starting to question him. Considering after the city game they immediately went to "is he englands best defender?" shows how hard his fall from grace has been when even the media are saying he's not good enough

It's a consistent criticism of Gomez, is that he backs off too much. Hes not reactive, he's no proactive....hes barely fucking active. He's just not going to get better so persisting is a fucking joke

It's a consistent criticism of Gomez, is that he backs off too much. Hes not reactive, he's no proactive....hes barely fucking active. He's just not going to get better so persisting is a fucking joke

I don’t dislike him.

The third goal was also inexcusable to be fair. That cant happen at this level.
Yep. Anyone around the ball was to blame - he stooped to head it FFS. Someone should have been putting a boot through his head if he would've tried it then.

Last edited:
Like many other pacy defenders before him, he relies too much on his pace to bail him out

Last edited:
I have to say that Gomez either needs selling, or to be strictly fourth choice and explicitly told that this summer. We need better now VVD is no longer capable of churning in superlative defensive performances.

One of Matip or Gomez needs to go and a replacement bought in, preferably not one made of twigs.

I have to say that Gomez either needs selling, or to be strictly fourth choice and explicitly told that this summer. We need better now VVD is no longer capable of churning in superlative defensive performances.

One of Matip or Gomez needs to go and a replacement bought in, preferably not one made of twigs.

The problem with Gomez being 4th choice is that at the moment his direct competition, Konate, is somewhat injury-prone; so Gomez will likely have to play a spell in the team, and he just isn't good enough. He drifts off, he's too passive, his positioning is questionable. It doesn't matter whether you're a bit part player or first choice, you can't have those attributes and be someone who can be relied on to contribute if needed.

Yep. Anyone around the ball was to blame - he stopped to head it FFS. Someone should have been putting a boot through his head if he would've tried it then.

Thats part of our problem I think. We are less reactionary and to passive in those moments. So few players actually attack the ball.

I reckon Joe Go’s issues are more psychological than you’d think. He seems to be a confidence type of player like he needs constant validation and assurance that he’s well loved or something.

Maybe Klopp hasn’t given him enough of hugs. I dunno.

He used to be able to do a Matip frequently and stride upwards the pitch confidently. These days he’s all sideways and backwards. That back pass that made Ali cock up, smelled of panic, fear and low confidence.

Maybe that explains him having those spells of going into hibernation mode during games. Anxiety can usually do that to a person.

The problem with Gomez being 4th choice is that at the moment his direct competition, Konate, is somewhat injury-prone; so Gomez will likely have to play a spell in the team, and he just isn't good enough. He drifts off, he's too passive, his positioning is questionable. It doesn't matter whether you're a bit part player or first choice, you can't have those attributes and be someone who can be relied on to contribute if needed.

That's it, but if we replace Matip with a resilient CB then he can play in the cups, etc. I agree if we don't sell Matip then Gomez must go.

We keep matip or gomez, bring in gvardiol, so long term we take virgil out, and have a partnership of Ibou and Gvardiol. Sorts us for a decade

Gomez would be a perfectly fine 4th choice cb. He's playing because of the injuries and idiocy of those who should be playing in front of him. Matip has had a brain fart in every one of his recent starts.

I'm more worried about our first choices all over the pitch. Gomez wouldn't have played if everyone was healthy. There are others who would have, and there is no better alternative for them.

We have some real quality still at fullback, are starting to be able to create some goals again. The spine of our team is utterly shit. We could get rid of 7 midfielders and I would be fine with it. It's disturbing how badly rotted out it is.

Sometime three or four seasons ago, even the season before we had to use Ozan Kabak & Nat Phillips I was calling for us the sell Gomez. Even back then he poor. I likened him at the to a poor version of Dejan Lovern.

How we sell on Nat P' and play Gomez is beyound me

I reckon Joe Go’s issues are more psychological than you’d think. He seems to be a confidence type of player like he needs constant validation and assurance that he’s well loved or something.

Maybe Klopp hasn’t given him enough of hugs. I dunno.

He used to be able to do a Matip frequently and stride upwards the pitch confidently. These days he’s all sideways and backwards. That back pass that made Ali cock up, smelled of panic, fear and low confidence.

Maybe that explains him having those spells of going into hibernation mode during games. Anxiety can usually do that to a person.

But if we are going to compete against teams like Real can we afford to have that type of player in the squad...?

The fact that people are constantly harping on about Nat fucking Phillips just underlines why we are where we are.

The guy is nearly 26, rarely gets a game and has shown next to no ambition go play regularly somewhere.

Yes, he bails us out when we have injury problems.... but... the solution to the problem is not Nat Phillips, it's not having players that break down every Tuesday.

Nice guy, gives his all... give a fuck. Klopp doesn't rate him, he's never going to play unless it's a dire emergency.

Sell him.

While I was sleeping I see we've figured out the one person to blame again.

It is always a defender. Why do we make all of our defenders look like shit all of a sudden? If the answer is well, Gomez is just shit, then why did we use to make him look good?

Our team is the most open I've ever seen a Liverpool team.

While I was sleeping I see we've figured out the one person to blame again.

It is always a defender. Why do we make all of our defenders look like shit all of a sudden? If the answer is well, Gomez is just shit, then why did we use to make him look good?

Our team is the most open I've ever seen a Liverpool team.

I was attempting to allude to this in an earlier post - it's tough enough being a centre back in our team anyway; they've got to play a high line, be pacey and defend well one on one, multiple times in a game. It's not a surprise that Gomez looks better on the left than the right; Robertson is a good defender, wins tackles, positions himself well, doesn't switch off 9 times out of 10. Trent requires much more by way of compensation. That doesn't mean Gomez is good enough - as I say, I think he's missed too much football now at a formative age - but the requirements for the right-sided CB are much higher than those for the LCB.

But having said all of that, we have a midfield that pretty much lets players run through them. Henderson can protect Trent to an extent on the right, but him and Fabinho offer next to nothing centrally in terms of protection.

I actually thought he was playing well up to half time. He was carrying the ball forward at pace and was picking out clear forward passes. He, and the rest of the team must have drank the gatorade at the break.

The fact that people are constantly harping on about Nat fucking Phillips just underlines why we are where we are.

The guy is nearly 26, rarely gets a game and has shown next to no ambition go play regularly somewhere.

Yes, he bails us out when we have injury problems.... but... the solution to the problem is not Nat Phillips, it's not having players that break down every Tuesday.

Nice guy, gives his all... give a fuck. Klopp doesn't rate him, he's never going to play unless it's a dire emergency.

Sell him.

This is true. I've been one of the ones harping that we should play Nat - and we should. Because why else have we not sold him?

Keep an asset to use it or sell the asset to reinvest in the squad. Keeping a player just to sit him for 2 entire seasons is wasteful.

The defence is weak in the middle, clearly, but it’s also exposed badly by a struggling midfield.

we need two top CMs and at least one more top drawer CB to be a regular starter and rotated with vvd and Konate. Sell Gomez and keep Matip

It's funny how out of our CBs, the only one we could keep consistently fit doesn't play any games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom