• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match - Newcastle (H) - 1st Jan 20:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
Nice gap to this one, although it gives Newcastle a chance to sort the needs out.

Jota starts for me, and I’d probably give Gakpo another run on the wing. Bring Jones & Szobo back into the middle. Nunez as a super sub to terrorise them again.

Alisson

Trent
Konate
Virgil
Gomez

Endo
Szobo
Jones

Salah
Jota
Gakpo

No Mo Salah I believe for this.
6 days isn’t a massive break for them with all their injuries but they are still capable of hurting us with Isak and Gordon.

No Mo Salah I believe for this.
6 days isn’t a massive break for them with all their injuries but they are still capable of hurting us with Isak and Gordon.
Klopp said a few days ago he expects Salah to be available for this game.

Edit to the edit.. Egypt first game is 14th Jan. Apparently players need to be released 9 days before the first game so he probably won't be playing the FA cup game but should be available for the Newcastle game.

Last edited:
If Mo truly wanted to win the league he’d fake an injury to miss the start of the tourney
It's pretty obvious that he wants to win the AFCON, but I don't see how anyone is beating Senegal.

Ali Gomez Konate Virgil Trent Endo Szobo Jones Salah Jota Diaz

Half hoping we’ll get some positive news on Mac and he could take the place of Endo who could do with a little rest before he heads away.

If Mo truly wanted to win the league he’d fake an injury to miss the start of the tourney
I know you’re joking but similar passed my mind re Endo (ie pulling out of the Japan squad) despite the likely Japanese nationalistic fervour.

I mean, the guy’s pushing 31, has just established himself as 1st choice DM in a title challenging Liverpool side after a comparatively journeyman career - it’s a fucking fairytale.

Surely if ever there was a club over country situation it’s this???

Sadly the club knew what it was getting itself into, we have no control or power to stop the guys leaving, players want to represent their country, we know this. The notion to bring the discussion up for debate is nothing but stupidity.

Sadly the club knew what it was getting itself into, we have no control or power to stop the guys leaving, players want to represent their country, we know this. The notion to bring the discussion up for debate is nothing but stupidity.
I’m mentioning from the perspective of Endo, nothing else, there’s nowt the club can do about it obviously.

He’s in a moment when he could establish himself, in his first season after a club quantum leap into Anfield, as the fulcrum go-to DM in a potential title / multiple winning side. Alternatively, he could find himself second choice rotated in or injured / out of form after the demands of international footy. He’d still potentially get a title medal, but there’s a huge personal difference when he looks back on his club career.

Surely even a small part of him is tempted….

I know you’re joking but similar passed my mind re Endo (ie pulling out of the Japan squad) despite the likely Japanese nationalistic fervour.

I mean, the guy’s pushing 31, has just established himself as 1st choice DM in a title challenging Liverpool side after a comparatively journeyman career - it’s a fucking fairytale.

The last time Japan won was in 2011. They lost in the final in 2019.
Their current team is one of the best they've ever had and unlike the AFCON, the Asian cup is played every 4 years.
So yeah, it's a big deal, just like the Euros are over here and Japan are the favourites to win it.

Not for one second expecting anything other than Endo to beg to play all 7 games.

However, interested to know from our more worldly posters how important Football is in Japan vs other sports

Not for one second expecting anything other than Endo to beg to play all 7 games.

However, interested to know from our more worldly posters how important Football is in Japan vs other sports
Not gonna say much because I can only go from what I've read but someone mentioned that the Japanese are extremely patriotic and that's true.
I watched some of the Baseball classic (Baseball world cup) and I read that over 50 million people saw their games in Japan.
Baseball is the biggest sport in Japan but football is big too especially on the national level.

Jota can't start no way. 30 mins max.
Mac should be on the bench to come on for 30 mins too right?
Where's Robbo at? It's he good for 10-15 mins?
They may be able to bring Thiago out too. Park his wheelchair next to the bench.

Ali Gomez Konate Virgil Trent Endo Szobo Jones Salah Gakpo Nunez

Jota can't start no way. 30 mins max.
Mac should be on the bench to come on for 30 mins too right?
Where's Robbo at? It's he good for 10-15 mins?
They may be able to bring Thiago out too. Park his wheelchair next to the bench.

Ali Gomez Konate Virgil Trent Endo Szobo Jones Salah Gakpo Nunez
We need him to put away the chances at the death that we have recently been wasting.

---------------------Alisson
----Trent----Konate---VVD----Gomez
--------------------Mac Allister
---------Szoboszlai - - - - Jones.
Salah - - - - - - - Gakpo-------------Nunez

---------------------Alisson
----Trent----Konate---VVD----Gomez
--------------------Mac Allister
---------Szoboszlai - - - - Jones.
Salah - - - - - - - Gakpo-------------Nunez
This with Endo starting. There’s no way on earth Macca starts over Endo in this.

Not a fucking chance. Japanese honour, leading your country to a title. Zero chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom