• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Robertson on the Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkmacca

6CM Addict
Exclusive: Andy Robertson reveals the secrets of Liverpool's transformed defence

2 NOVEMBER 2018 • 9:57AM
Follow

Liverpool concede fewer goals, shots on target and make more blocks per game compared to previous years under Jurgen Klopp. What has changed? Left-back Andy Robertson spoke to Telegraph Sport.

Personnel

The Liverpool defence starting the 11thPremier League fixture last season included Alberto Moreno, Joel Matip and Ragnar Klavan with goalkeeper Simon Mignolet. Robertson has become an integral member of a newer, younger line-up. He believes familiarity is the biggest cause of consistency.

“We have had more time to work with each other and have the additions of Virgil and Alisson. We’ve played together more and had a pre-season to work together, so that is a big influence,” says Robertson.

“It is a young back four, but also one with a lot of games and experience.

“Trent (Alexander-Arnold) has come back a different player since the World Cup. Look at Joe (Gomez). I didn’t know a lot about him when I joined, but he is an unbelievable player. We will all get better by playing more games with ‘Big Al’ – that’s what I am calling Alisson!

“If we can stay together for six or seven years we will have an unbelievable career. Don’t forget we also have players like Nathaniel Clyne back again giving us competition for places. Look at the competition at right back – Trent, Clyney and Joe can play there. That is amazing quality playing for one position.

There are four top class centre-backs competing for two places, and Alberto and myself fighting to be the left back. We know whatever back four the manager picks we have to be at our best to keep our place

“Last season we were stretched in that a lot of injuries hit at the same time. Now there is unbelievable competition. We know if we drop below the standard required they manager has the excuse to drop us. That is the last thing anyone with the jersey wants. Those not with it are desperate to get it.”

Striking right balance between attack and defence

There is a revealing statistic suggesting Robertson is spending more time in a deeper position this year. He looks surprised when informed of this, but has a theory.

“Last season there were some games when we were 2-0 up and I was bombing forward and James Milner had to cover me. He wasn’t happy about it and still goes on about it! So maybe I have listened to James a bit more,” he explains.

“Hendo gave me a mouthful about that in one of the games, too. When we were 1-0 up against Brighton earlier this season - when it was not the best of games - it was about defending.

“Yes, you want to contribute to attack but I was not going to push on and risk losing the ball. Maybe we have got the level of control now where we are prepared to see out the game a lot more. So far that has worked.

“The manager is always on at me to be more involved. He wants the full-backs up and down. At times I may be in the wrong position, but he wants me to keep showing for the ball. We have a ball-playing goalkeeper now so you need to get used to the angles when he gives it that wee dink to the full-back. It is about being ready for that.”

Self-analysis

Personal reviews in which players dissect performance are routine at elite clubs. Robertson says the quality and intensity of video analysis has been especially important to evolving his level.

“I sit in video meetings with the manager, assistant manager and two analysts going through my game,” says Robertson.

“All the lads do this, particularly when you first come to the club. I had a few one-to-one meetings with the analysis guys. There is the team behind the team. They show you what you have done well and what you can do better. You get the clips after every game. I watch them good or bad because you learn so much. Most of the lads are the same.

“The bigger games you tend to wonder if you could have affected the game more going forward, while at the same time you want to be solid defensively. On the flipside, against lower-positioned sides you want to see how you ensure you do not get caught on the counter-attack.”

Set-piece improvement

We can all agree Jurgen Klopp plays a different sport to Sam Allardyce, but that does not mean the German coach is averse to direct football. His appointment of throw-in coach Thomas Gronnemark last summer was especially significant for the full-backs’ itinerary.

“When the throw-in coach came in I think I was the main target,” said Robertson. “The manager pulled me to one side and said, ‘you’re definitely getting help’. It’s the small margins that can help.

People think a throw-in is not important, but how many times can it relieve pressure or start an attack? There is still improvement to do. Every full-back or anyone with a long throw has worked with the throw-in coach. It’s not just the person taking the throw, but the movement expected from everyone else. I think last season we were just throwing it five yards and asking for the return pass, so it was easier for defenders to get it back. There is a lot more thought and focus going to corners and it has worked so far.

“There have been a few new ideas. The World Cup helped. The manager was watching a lot of teams closely and thinking about what we could add to our game.”

As a proud Scot, Robertson adds a grudging admission.

“Yes, including England. It was England’s biggest strength – the train thing they were doing – so I am sure a few teams looked at that.”

Leadership

Robertson is Scotland’s skipper. Van Dijk leads the Dutch. Dejan Lovren is the most experienced centre-back. Jordan Henderson and James Milner command respect as skipper and vice-captain, while Gini Wijnaldum is the ‘fourth captain’. Suddenly, Liverpool has a team of organisers.

“Obviously I’m the better captain,” laughs Robertson.

“No, Virgil took the armband when Hendo and James were out, and rightly so. I voted for him. He is a leader. He was captain at Southampton and captain for his country. He has that presence.

It works in our favour because you need more than one captain on the pitch. Gone are the days of ten or 15 years ago when maybe it was a Roy Keane or Steven Gerrard who led everyone. Now it is more of a leadership group and that shows on the pitch. Obviously when Hendo is fit he is our captain, but there are others who will shout instructions, too.”

Robertson’s Scotland experience has been tough so far, but longer-term he believes it will invite more responsibility for his club as well as country.

“I’m maybe not so vocal with Liverpool as I am with Scotland,” he says.

“Maybe I will work on that, but we all get each other up for the games and if anything needs to be said, it gets said. It is something I am growing into with Scotland.”

Defence starts with attack

At previous clubs, Robertson’s training drills invited pressure. The elite managers have a different view on the how to repel the opposition.

“Here it is all about defending from the front,” explains Robertson.

“We do the repetitive drills to press higher up the pitch, but everything is specific to whoever we play. It is 11 v 11 in training and our analysis team looks at the strengths and weaknesses of the next opponent – telling us how and where to nullify their chances. That will be the case before we play Arsenal on Saturday.

“At Hull we were down the bottom of the league, so the onus was always sit back and try to strangle the life out of the game until it gets to 60 or 70 minutes and then if it is still 0-0 you still have a chance. At Liverpool, I am on the other side of that. I remember Swansea away last season where a club gets the confidence when you are not breaking them down. It is a reaction thing, but you need to work on it to get better at it.

“We work on the pressing beginning with the front players. Xherdan Shaqiri and Naby Keita are still learning all that. It is key to how we play.”

Hunger for clean sheets

Despite victory over Cardiff last weekend, there was some dismay in the dressing room due to Liverpool conceding a first Premier League goal at Anfield since February.

Robertson says he is not obsessed with the statistics, no matter how favourable, but the determination to protect the goalkeeper has become a useful motivational tool as Liverpool’s record radically improves.

“You could see the back four and keeper were especially unhappy we conceded. Big Al has got used to clean sheets hasn’t he? It’s part and parcel of the game, but it could have been avoided,” said Robertson.

“We want to keep a clean sheet every week, that is why there was so much disappointment last week.

“If you are gutted when you concede goal, and hungry not to, it can only work well for the team. There has been a lot of talk about the defence at the start of this season, but we need to continue. If we do win games 4-3, we’ll still be happy. Winning is most important, no matter how you do it. Three nil every week is the ideal situation. It’s a bit more difficult than that.

“But if you are threatening records at a club like this, it is not going to be taken as a negative, is it?”

One thing I didn't get - where he mentions England's 'train thing'. What's he on about?

Lazy twerp I am. Did a search and apparently it's this:

One move known as the ‘Love Train’ sees four players lined up in a row ready for a corner.

Standing in this tight unit confuses the opposition from getting anywhere near their mark before the group splinters in different directions.

League Two outfit Lincoln have been using the move for two years to great success.

At corners we sometimes lined up in a straight line perpendicular to the goal and dispersed when the ball came in. Nelson lined the fleet up that way when he attacked the French at Trafalgar as it happens, though that may possibly not have been uppermost in Southgate's mind.

Or called a train, since they weren't exactly common in 1804

At corners we sometimes lined up in a straight line perpendicular to the goal and dispersed when the ball came in. Nelson lined the fleet up that way when he attacked the French at Trafalgar as it happens, though that may possibly not have been uppermost in Southgate's mind.

I'd love to hear more about the tactics of Nelson's armada, nothing beats a first-hand account ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom