• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to do with Ryan mate. You can be sure he will hound Brendan out as soon as it turns sour and he will be relentless about it while I will still support. You can hero Ryan worship all you want but he is not my cup of tea. His style of debate is always ad hominem spiced with expletives. Bullying if you like. I refuse to stoop so low.

I think you're being a little over-sensitive. I was not worshipping the altar of Ryan. I was merely pointing out how ridiculous your initial stance was (as Ryan did earlier). Perhaps it's just a coincidence that you've changed your mind now.

BRENDAN RODGERS has done his homework – he already knows what he likes about Liverpool’s squad.

He was forthcoming on the first team’s strengths – and reading between the lines, his area of concern for this summer is the midfield.

“For a start, there’s a world class goalkeeper,” said Rodgers.

“I really like Pepe Reina, he’s come through at Barcelona so he will know straight away the identity of this way I would like to bring in and the principles of the game.

“Defensively, they’ve been reasonably strong throughout the season. You’ve got Glen Johnson who can be the world’s best right back, he can bomb, he can run, he can serve the ball and he’s quick. I know Glen from my time before.

“You’ve got Enrique who will only get better. At Newcastle he was fantastic and for big parts of last season he’s done great.

“You’ve got your two centre halves, Skrtel and Agger, who’ve done well. You’ve got a legend in Jamie Carragher who will always provide great challenge and motivation for the group. What an absolutely phenomenal player he’s been for here.

“Then there are other players in the team like Suarez (left) who is a talent and who scores goals, great goals, Then you’ve got Steven Gerrard who when he’s fit he’s the ultimate.

“What I will hopefully look at and bring in is that it’s very much about the team. Our success at Swansea was based on the team. There’s no single part that’s better than the whole.”

I still think, as I've said, we should give him a chance and that he may suprise people. I think he's done that already as he's managed to allay a few fears from a few sceptics. I could bang on about how right I was but I'm not very good at being a self congratulating bellend. Four months is not enough to judge him on. It will take time to fully transform this team. If he does it sooner then all the better but we really shouldn't expect overnight success. We've had far too much of that of late

Metaphorically the red shirt can provide a weighty burden – and it’s why the new Reds boss is keen to enlist the help and support of two men who have worn the blood red shirt a total of 1,284 times.

Jamie Carragher’s next appearance will see him reach the 700 match milestone. Steven Gerrard’s next goal will be his 150th from his 585 appearances.

And Rodgers appreciates what is required to achieve that longevity.

“The jersey at Liverpool is much heavier than at many others,” he explained. “That’s why good players come in here, they put the jersey on and they maybe don’t quite perform then they go out again and they play well.

“People like Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have borne the weight of that jersey for years and have performed admirably.

“Those guys will be very, very important going forward for me.

“I spoke with Steven Gerrard last night and had a good chat with him which was great. I phoned Jamie Carragher but he was in Dubai. But I’ve had a message back from him. We’ve just missed each other this morning.

“Steven was brilliant. He was fantastic. I don’t know him that well. I have come across him a couple of times briefly. He’s a top, world class performer and that’s why he has huge respect in my eyes.

“I’ve always had good relations with players and I don’t expect it to be any different here.”

Rodgers explained his philosophy for working with players.

“For me it’s simple,” he added. “I have three promises that I always bring into a club and it will be exactly the same here. First my communication is open.

“I speak with players and I speak with people and I respect people.

“Wherever they sit in the hierarchy of a club or an organisation, one thing they will get from me is that my door is open.

“The second thing I promise is quality . . . quality in my work.

“ I’ve studied for nearly 20 years to be the very best I possibly can and that’s taken me through making a difference with clubs, right the way through to coaching top players with Chelsea.

“Then I moved into management, so I haven’t taken an easy route.”

The one moment when that journey stalled came at Reading.

He was sacked just six months after taking over from Steve Coppell in December 2009, but Rodgers says he used that experience as a turning point in his career.

“I think I probably became more clinical after that,” he reflected.

“I went in there looking to change things maybe a little too quickly.

“I went in thinking the club wanted a new vision and a new philosophy and I thought if I stripped it down quickly and then let it build after that, then that would be okay.

“What I realised after that is that you are still in the business of winning.

“That is what we are here for ultimately. You talk about football and creativity and invention, but you’ve got to win games, as simple as that.

“That was very important to me in my reflection when I came away from Reading.

“When I went into Swansea I knew very well that I could still work very well the way I worked, with the same philosophy and the same identity, but I would have to get to the endpoint quicker – and that brought me the success that I had.

“So that six month period at Reading over the 20 years I’ve had playing, coaching and managing has been a great learning for me.

“Hopefully that will be the defining moment of my career.

I’ve promised my work will be quality and the players will enjoy the work – and we’ll think that little bit differently about how we play.

“The third thing I promise is ambition. The most important thing is the club’s success.

“Of those three things, I can give no more. If the club or anyone else needs anything more I can’t bring it.

“But I will promise those three things.”

Rodgers is ready to hit the ground running at Anfield.

He spent yesterday morning conducting interviews for the television, radio and written media, then he headed straight off to Melwood for meetings with the club’s scouting staff.

“I need to get an idea of what the preparation phases are here,” he explained.

“When you work with big players like we had at one of my former clubs, the pre-season is broken because you have European Championships and the Olympics, so players will be arriving back at a different stages.

“Here there’s a tour and obviously the Europa League starts very quickly so there’s a lot of organisation. But that’s what my work is about – to prepare.

“We start looking today for new players. I’m meeting with the scouts this afternoon at Melwood and look at where we are at.”

Last summer it was Kenny Dalglish preparing the groundwork for a new season, and Rodgers was quick to acknowledge the debt he owes to his illustrious predecessor.

“Guys like Kenny Dalglish and the people before me were incredible men and that door will always be open for guys like that to come in. It’s my job now to continue that work.“For me I’ve got so much respect for Kenny Dalglish.

“”I will never replace Kenny Dalglish.

“That’s the reality of it. I can only be Brendan Rodgers and do the very best I can for the football club.

“This is the guy who was voted the best player in the history of Liverpool Football Club and who is a legend of a manager here and a fantastic man.

“So there’s not a race for me; that’s a race I’m sure I would lose.

“For me I want to prove my worth and prove my honesty and commitment to Liverpool Football Club.

“History judges you as a manager. That’s the reality of it. It won’t be now, it will be history. And I hope my history will allow me to work beside many of the great managers here.”

I think you're being a little over-sensitive. I was not worshipping the altar of Ryan. I was merely pointing out how ridiculous your initial stance was (as Ryan did earlier). Perhaps it's just a coincidence that you've changed your mind now.
In a change of managers situation, is it not ridiculous to get an untested manager in? I was venting, ridiculous it maybe but it is valid in the off chance that it might just get tits up with yet another managerial change.
Now he is in, confirmed signed and sealed, I am all in. May it be a 30 years period of stability with titles and all that.

I will gladly engage anyone if they are civil about it.

His dad's name is Malachy. This just gets better and better.

Welcome Father Brendan .

He is wrong about one thing though - his 6 months at Reading will not be the defining moment of his career - lifting the 2012/13 league trophy will.

BRENDAN RODGERS reckons Liverpool are a football dynasty – but not Manchester United.

The Irishman was officially unveiled as the new Reds manager yesterday and insisted only a club of their stature could lure himfrom Swansea.

He said: “Liverpool are one of the dynasties of the game. They have won five European Cups and their status is up there with AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.”

Missing from the list was Man United, the club the Kop loathes more than any other.

No doubt Rodgers has Sir Alex Ferguson and his Old Trafford outfit in sights but the fact he blanked them would have earned instant Brownie points from the fans he swears are the best in the world.

Ha, didn't notice it myself

Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm believes Liverpool have appointed the best manager in the Premier League after they announced Brendan Rodgers as their new boss.

Rodgers left Swansea to take the vacant managerial role at Anfield and Vorm believes that Liverpool have made a great decision.

"I think it's the best move Liverpool can make," he told Sky Sports News.

"I've worked with him for a year and he's the best manager I've worked with - and I think he is the best manager maybe in the Premier League.

"He is quite young but very experienced and I think for Liverpool it's the best they could get. For him it's beautiful."

Despite declaring his support for Rodgers, Holland international Vorm was upset to lose the man who brought him to England last summer.

"For us it's the worst thing that could happen," he said. "It's disappointing but I think we showed throughout the season what we're capable of.

"If we can keep the club together we can go on playing good football under the new manager."

Brendan_Rodgers_3_687382g2.jpg

The Western Mail's Swansea City reporter on what Liverpool fans can expect from the new Anfield manager

ARROGANCE is often seen as an ugly word.

The right kind can lead to the beautiful game. At least it certainly has at Swansea City under Brendan “Buck” Rodgers.

And it’s seemingly why FSG have decided he’s the man to appoint at Anfield.

The Northern Irishman has an incredible confidence, belief and stubbornness about his own ability as a manager.

More than anything, it is the arrogance in the way he wants his side to play that has made him stand out with the Swans.

How else can you explain the way Swansea twice out-performed Kenny Dalglish’s Reds last term? A debutant team, universally tipped to immediately return from whence they came, out-passing an expensively assembled side who once held the copyright on such a style.

He ordered his men to be arrogant with the ball, brave in the way in which they controlled it against all-comers and in all areas of the field – played out from the back and kept and kept and kept, stretching sides into errors.

What might have gone unnoticed is the way that with the style comes a steel, a hunger to go pressing and forcing turnovers to win that prized possession back.

This is the way Rodgers insists the game should be played. He’s a firm fan of Dutch Total Football as a young lad in Carnlough and a big believer in Barcelona’s modern-day approach.

And that belief is unwavering. It would have been easy to take easy options of going more direct at Swansea, to play the percentages, but route one was a route never taken.

Of course, it is easy to have beliefs but another thing implementing them.

Rodgers will – or should – admit that Roberto Martinez (another bright young thing on FSG’s list) had first helped shape Swansea’s philosophy to play the game in this way.

And his arrival at Swansea was a case of a good match – a team used to playing a passing game, a manager who wanted to stick to it and improve it.

It is why he had time at the Liberty Stadium, even if he ultimately didn’t need it after one promotion and one mid-table top-flight finish in two seasons.

But he also had the patience of a crowd, used to waiting for their side to wait for their chances and accustomed that it didn’t always reap rewards in terms of results.

Liverpool fans – already counting the years since that last title – will need to know that things will take time both in games and in terms of impressing his ideas on a new group of players – a group of players some say may be too big for a manager with such limited top division experience.

But that is to ignore his time at Chelsea, where he says he felt a “comfort” of dealing with big name players on a regular basis and seeing them respond to his methods. The degree of respect in which he is still held by the likes of Lampard and Terry back that up.

Indeed, his man-management skills are highly regarded, while he backs himself in getting the best out of players, building the confidence of strugglers and nurturing youngsters.

Studious – spending Sundays watching five or six games – but not bookish, as a man his enthusiasm is infectious which rubbed off on players, press and punters alike.

Others will point to a lack of experience full stop. Rodgers’ counter is that he has been a coach far longer than many managers older than him, having started out on this path at the age of 20.

And it is a path he has always believed would lead him to the top, hence why he waited to be singled out as the No.1 choice before committing to Anfield. Hence why he was never likely to be overawed at such a huge challenge.

Call it arrogance if you will, but it could work out beautifully for Liverpool.

Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill last night insisted the appointment of fellow countryman Brendan Rodgers as the new Liverpool boss proves that if you work hard and are dedicated then age is no barrier when it comes to the top jobs in world football.

At 39, Carnlough-born Rodgers is the youngest manager in the Premier League, but he arrives at Anfield having made Swansea City one of the most attractive sides to watch in England’s top flight.

O’Neill believes Rodgers had to take this opportunity — in case it never arose again — and now expects him to be a success at Anfield.

“It's some opportunity, fantastic and I’m delighted for him,” admitted O’Neill from the Northern Ireland team hotel in Amsterdam.

“You have to take every chance which comes along — especially when you’re a young manager.

“There may be arguments about whether he should have waited, stayed another year at Swansea but when you have the opportunity presented, it is a very tough decision to say ‘no’. I think he was right to take it.

“He’s very capable of doing the job and what he has done in the last two seasons at Swansea has been fantastic.”

It’s been a remarkable rise for Rodgers — especially considering his own professional playing career came to an abrupt end aged only 20.

O’Neill, three years older than Rodgers, has nothing for praise for the manner in which he took the knock-back on the chin and then set about making a career for himself as a coach with Reading, Chelsea, Watford and Swansea.

“When you see someone’s playing career ending at 19 or 20 through injury and then he starts a coaching career starting so early, you can’t say it hasn’t worked for him. The hard work has now paid off and landed him this job.

“Swansea were a joy to watch at times last season, but Brendan will approach the Liverpool job with a level of common sense and recognise expectations will be different. He’ll build a team his way, in a similar mould to what he has done before because it worked, it got results and was a success.

I'm interested to see what he'll do with the midfield. He doesn't seem like a shithouse and he likes his teams to be as brave and bold, he doesn't seem to like players that will hide in the shadows and shirk responsibility. So it'll be intriguing to see what he can do with Henderson and whether he can bring him out of his shell.

Probably, but they both listen and learn, so I think they'll improve. Whether they'll improve enough is another matter. What will help Spearing is his versatility, so he could still be a handy squad player.

Three years ago I was still studying in school. Now I'm on my second job and my own home is on the way in two years. So yes, a long time ago as far as I'm concerned.

Dont know what you were talking about pal but i was just watching this so.....lets refresh your memory...

Well it all came through the application of a high pressing game. That and having two of the best players in the world in SG and Torres in their best form.

Being a 2 man team wasn't so bad.

Well it all came through the application of a high pressing game. That and having two of the best players in the world in SG and Torres in their best form.

Being a 2 man team wasn't so bad.

If memory serves me right, mascher was incredible in that game, ate the real midfield, including diarra, alive.

They forgot it. They know it now, though, but they're just too pathetic to admit a mistake and give a bit of credit where it's due. Utter spineless fools.
Thats the shittest post youve ever made. Everyone, EVERYONE acknowledges the good Rafa did. Some think by the end the bad outweighed the good.
But yeah by all means rattle your sabre.

They forgot it. They know it now, though, but they're just too pathetic to admit a mistake and give a bit of credit where it's due. Utter spineless fools.

Whatever. Just because we've gone backwards since doesn't make it a mistake. He'd gone as far as he could go and we wanted to push on. The fact we didn't manage to is an entirely separate issue.

Someone should post a video of Crouch and Voronin on the wings, of not being able to hit a barn door for months on end against shite teams at home. Rafa the brilliant tactician who forgot to put a player on the best player in the World in the most important game of his life.

We all know he was good and how good he was, we all know his flaws aswell. So while you two 'fools' are going on about how us 'dickheads' have fogotten it, maybe you should get your head our your arses and think about Robbie Keane, Aquilani, Dossena, Riera, Morientes, Rafa being a stubborn cunt continuously, and ranting in the press like a fucking deluded bellend.

One season in six in the league of getting close, without the addition of City, Spurs and now Newcastle to contend with, and spunking money left right and centre. too often on the wrong position and the wrong players.

He'd have challenged alot more if league games were played over two legs.

"They know it now though". Get fucked.

Well for a start that's not true. Plenty are pretty much entirely critical. But I wasn't referring to the mistake of wanting him out, because that's a reasonable position to be debated, but the completely negative, almost hateful abuse he got towards the end and for some months after, after which a lot of people have never been able row back from it and see him in a reasonable light. There's fucking loads of people like that on here and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom