• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's fair to conclude that Red Maradona's points have been shot down with evidence!
not really, if all you can idenitfy is 1 to 3 sinigngs over the last 5/10 yrs from the lower leagues directly to a top 4 club, then that demonstrates there is not enough talent out there. if we are being picky we should exclude bale because he is not part of a top 4 club, but his talent is evident.

Spurs and Arsenal alone have more than 5 players who have come from Championship teams and done well for them.

Bale
Huddlestone (Derby)
Lennon (Leeds)
Dawson (Forest)
Walcott (Southampton)
Chamberalin (Southampton)
Ramsey (Cardiff City)

There is a reason why the two clubs have a lower wage bill than us.

There are obviously other premier league clubs who have bought well from the championship.

You seem to have set criteria's like "only success in top 4 clubs count", and "players who cost more than 10 mil have to be excluded" etc...which is pointless, and have been constructed just so you can win this argument and has no relevance to the point that is being made.

Spurs and Arsenal alone have more than 5 players who have come from Championship teams and done well for them.

Bale
Huddlestone (Derby)
Lennon (Leeds)
Dawson (Forest)
Walcott (Southampton)
Ramsey (Cardiff City)

There are obviously other premier league clubs who have bought well from the championship.

You seem to have set criteria's like "only success in top 4 clubs count", and "players who cost more than 10 mil have to be excluded" etc...which is pointless, and have been constructed just so you can win this argument and has no relevance to the point that is being made.
you make some fair points and that there are one or two players i have missed, i suppose the crux of the issue is that for sides who want to win the title, which is what i think we should be aiming for and what rogers clearly wants us to do, then i dont think trawling the lower leagues is right. clubs who have won the league recently dont do that and that says a lot, pound for pound they are not worth it for the most part.

What an absurd argument. We should, obviously, scour the globe for talent. And, equally obviously, 99.7% of the players we look at won't be good enough. But as long as we find those hidden gems it is all worthwhile. Some clubs are really good at finding cheap talent, we are horrendously shit at it. Refusing to look at players from this league or that league makes no sense.

Bale
Huddlestone (Derby)
Lennon (Leeds)
Dawson (Forest)
Walcott (Southampton)
Ramsey (Cardiff City)

Tbf almost all those players were signed up as extremely promising youngsters who were being widely chased by a number of top clubs. With all of them the only reason they were in the Championship was that they'd happened to come through at those clubs' academies - that's different from trying to unearth hidden gems from the lower leagues, isn't it? I mean, hardly anyone's going to complain if we sign someone like Nick Powell for a few million, because he's one of the best young players in the country, just as I was all for us going for AOC last summer.

But actually picking up seasoned pros from the lower leagues good enough for a CL club? I think that's extremely rare nowadays. The only ones I can really think of are the Everton ones: Jagielka, Cahill, Lescott.

I'm sorry to be a doom-monger, but if Rodgers is talking about finding value from the Football League then the only conclusion I can reach is that there isn't exactly a lot of cash to spend.

tumblr_m4yihyE8Ur1rrpwlpo1_500.jpg

I'm sorry to be a doom-monger, but if Rodgers is talking about finding value from the Football League then the only conclusion I can reach is that there isn't exactly a lot of cash to spend.

That's logical, and on that same token, if there is no money, then it's a good thing we have a manager who won't whinge about it and will try to make the best of what he has?

I don't think that just by changing the manager our scouting network will start unearthing gems in the Championship or globally. Regardless, I don't think there is necessarily a downside to looking for players in the Championship - as long as it is part of a balance approach to bring the best talent that is within our reach to our club.

Or that he keeps all options open..

Well obviously I'm not saying we shouldn't scout as many areas as possible, just that I'm pretty sceptical how much scope there is for unearthing cheap talent in the lower divisions like you could in the old days. I think the evidence say that, outside the most precocious and in-demand youngsters, it's pretty hard to do.

Personally I think better sources are Latin America and the less glamourous continental leagues (but still France and Germany). That's where most of the real bargains have come from recently, as far as I can see.

His comment was in response to a question(with regard to whether he's prepared to sign players from lower league or is it no longer an option now that he's got more money to spend) in the interview. (link to the 16 min interview provided in earlier post)

Absolutley Peter, Newcastle are the perfect example.

We really need to improve our scouting if we are build a squad capable of challenging for the league.

To be fair the club has been bringing players in from the lower leagues when they're young, which is probably better than after they've started accumulating bad habits. Ibe, for example, is a great prospect. Then there's Sterling and Shelvey. So LFC hasn't been ignoring the market.

His comment was in response to a question(with regard to whether he's prepared to sign players from lower league or is it no longer an option now that he's got more money to spend) in the interview. (link to the 16 min interview provided in earlier post)

Ah fair enough, that's a different matter then.

It's a really cool picture.

Like, it could become iconic, it has the atmosphere/presence about it.

Rodgers has been scouting Jordy Clasie. Maybe he'll be our first signing. Dubbed the Dutch Xavi. Looks a cracking talent.

Rodgers has been scouting Jordy Clasie. Maybe he'll be our first signing. Dubbed the Dutch Xavi. Looks a cracking talent.
I've just gone on youtube to look at the lad. AL-FUCKING-READY theres people saying "welcome to liverpool" etc.

COMMENT
By Stefan Coerts | Dutch Football Editor

The general consensus at the start of the 2011-12 campaign was that Feyenoord awaited a difficult season following the departure of star players Leroy Fer, Luc Castaignos and Georginio Wijnaldum. Nevertheless, the Rotterdam giants have beaten PSV, Twente and Ajax at De Kuip, and are one of the revelations of this term. They are only five points off the pace after 20 Eredivisie games and are their good performances so far make them serious title candidates.

paddypower_w.png

Teenage sensation John Guidetti has taken much of the credit for the Stadionclub's resurgence following his impressive goalscoring form, already netting 14 times in the league, while head coach Ronald Koeman has received his fair share of praise, too. However, promising youngster Jordy Clasie has been at least as important for Feyenoord this season, as the 20-year-old has developed into one of the Eredivisie's best midfielders in the past six months.

Clasie was born and raised in Haarlem, and started his footballing career at local amateur side EDO. His talent was quickly spotted by bigger clubs, though, and the midfielder joined the Feyenoord youth academy at the age of nine.

Nevertheless, although there was little doubt about his immense potential, Clasie's future at the Eredivisie giants was a talking point at more than one meeting over the years. The Netherlands Under-21 star was generally the smallest player in every team he was part of, and several youth coaches at the club considered him to be physically too weak to succeed at the very top level.

CAREER STATISTICS | Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord & Netherlands Under-21)
136427_thumb.jpg

Position: Midfielder​
Value: €5m-6m
Contract: 2015​

Attributes:
Passing, positioning, creativity, vision​
Height
Club
Weight
Place of Birth
Former clubs
1.69 m​
Feyenoord​
69 kg​
Haarlem​
Edo, Excelsior​

Clasie never stopped believing in himself, though, and continued to work hard to improve. The youngster realised that his stature can occasionally be a disadvantage, but the performances of players such as Barcelona star Xavi and Inter playmaker Wesley Sneijder strengthened his belief that an impressive physique is not a requisite to succeed.

"I am only 1-metre-69, so I have little chance when it comes down to sheer physical strength. However, players such as Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Sneijder prove week after week that you are never too small to become world-class," the Feyenoord star recently observed.

Indeed, his tender physique does not seem to hold the young playmaker back. After spending the 2010-11 campaign on loan at Excelsior in order to gain valuable first-team experience, Clasie returned to his beloved De Kuip at the start of the season, and has not wasted any time in making a name for himself.

Clasie hasn't missed a single Eredivisie game so far this season, and has become one of the driving forces behind Feyenoord's successful year to date.

Off the ball, he makes up for his lack of strength with his superb positioning, and wins more balls than most midfielders in his position at other clubs.

Nevertheless, it's in possession that the 20-year-old has impressed the most. Clasie is always available, and nearly every Feyenoord attack starts at the feet of the former Excelsior starlet. His accurate passing in combination with his excellent vision and creativity are at the heart of the majority of the chances that the Rotterdam giants create, and the midfielder has rapidly become indispensable for the 2002 Uefa Cup winners.

I am closely following a number of players who are interesting options for Oranje ahead of Euro 2012, and Jordy Clasie is one of those players

- Bert van Marwijk

141265_hp_thumb.jpg

His rise to prominence has not only earned him comparisons to his idol Xavi, but Clasie has also caught the attention of national team coach Bert van Marwijk. The Oranje boss is keeping tabs on a number of players who could potentially make the squad for Euro 2012, and the Feyenoord man's good performances haven't gone unnoticed.

"I am closely following a number of players who are interesting options for Oranje ahead of Euro 2012. I have a list with about 15 players on it who could make the team. Jordy Clasie is one of those players," Van Marwijk told Voetbal International.

Although Euro 2012 might come just too soon for Clasie, Van Marwijk's comments perfectly illustrate just how much progress that the playmaker has made in the past few months.

At the start of the season, there were plenty of question marks as to whether he had what it takes to succeed at Feyenoord; right now it appears to be only a matter of time before Clasie makes his Oranje debut. A bright future undoubtedly lies in store for the midfield maestro.

I've just gone on youtube to look at the lad. AL-FUCKING-READY theres people saying "welcome to liverpool" etc.

Ha ...i did the same.

I especially liked the bit where it said "Weakness: Not Applicable" ......we must sign this lad...

IT'S GOING TO BE TOUGH FOR BRENDAN RODGERS

3rd June 2012
By Ray's yer game

WHEN Kenny Dalglish got sacked some deluded Liverpool fans were hoping Jose Mourinho would replace him.

Instead they’ve ended up with a bloke who worked under Mourinho at Chelsea. Brendan Rodgers, who steered Swansea to promotion but got sacked by Reading, is Liverpool’s eighth manager in 12 years.

The Ulsterman talks fancifully about winning a 19th title for the Reds but in reality he will have to perform miracles simply to make the Champions League.

Dalglish’s team finished 37 points behind the Mancs in eighth place and below Newcastle and Everton.

Rodgers inherits a team of largely over-paid under-performers, with a ground not fit for purpose, a fan base who still think it’s the 1980s and a transfer budget that is dwarfed by Man City and Chelsea’s spending.

Perhaps Roberto Martinez, who has turned down more jobs than a work-shy benefits cheat recently, was right.

Liverpool insist Rodgers was their first choice. But is he the right choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom