• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a more uplifting one:

BRILLIANT BRENDAN RODGERS IS WISE CHOICE TO REBUILD THE KOP
By Jim Holden
THE wise and wonderful appointment of Brendan Rodgers as the new manager of Liverpool has, apparently, been received with a mixed reception by the club’s supporters.
To which the only intelligent response is – shame on the doubters.
The arrival of Rodgers has also been greeted with a large dollop of scepticism from famous former players. Mark Lawrenson called it “the biggest gamble the club has taken in a long time”.
Jan Molby said: “I felt it was a job for an experienced manager.”
Shame on them, too.

It is an indication of how deep the anxiety has become at Liverpool after nearly a quarter of a century without a League title, that even the prospect of the most dazzling young managerial talent for many years taking charge at Anfield is greeted with coolness.
Caution is foolish and misplaced. It should be a time of rapture for Liverpool fans, a time for authentic optimism. For all their previous dithering, the American owners of the club have now made a stunningly good decision.

Brendan Rodgers is exactly the right man for Liverpool – a young, clever, ambitious, intensely hard-working manager with a philosophy of stylish possession football perfectly suited to the great traditions of Anfield.
His work in the past two seasons at Swansea has been exceptional. He created an attractive and successful team with relatively obscure players, he gave them the freedom to take the risks that bring reward, he refused to compromise on his principles and he won admiration all round the country from the people who really matter – the fans who actually go to matches.
At so many clubs in the Premier League there was a plaintive cry from supporters after their team had faced the Welsh side: ‘‘Why can’t we play like Swansea?’’

That was the most stirring evidence of the brilliance of Rodgers.
When Swansea drew at Anfield, after thoroughly outplaying the home team, they were applauded off the pitch by the Kop. Their instincts that day were sound.
In football it is easy to talk with fine words. Many managers do so, claiming they are committed to a high-quality attacking strategy, but swiftly becoming dull, dour and pragmatic when the heat is on.
Fine action is the only proof of fine words. That is what Rodgers has delivered.
He has the courage of a deeply held conviction that possession football is the way to play; he has the moral courage to demand his team do not succumb to panicky long balls but pass their way out of trouble.

When Swansea did this with such devastating flair against Arsenal and Spurs, the pundits cooed in appreciation.
When they lost 1-0 at home to Manchester United, one misplaced pass in defence allowing Ryan Giggs to score, the pundits sagely said the style was too risky.
I was at that game, and the response afterwards of Rodgers was instructive. He took all the blame, saying that some mistakes were inevitable, but that he would brook no compromise in how his team played football. It was a seriously impressive man talking.

While Liverpool mulled over the appointment of a new boss in the past couple of weeks, Rodgers was not hanging desperately on the end of a phone waiting for a call.

He was at the Spanish international camp ahead of Euro 2012, watching how the world champions train and prepare their players. Once again, seriously impressive.
Rodgers will bring his pure football style to Liverpool, and it will be fascinating to see how England players like Andy Carroll, Jordan Henderson and even captain Steven Gerrard adapt to the new system.

The often poor first touch of Carroll, for example, does not look an ideal fit. Nor, in truth, does the individualistic and instinctive football of Gerrard, however dynamic and inspirational it can be. The Liverpool skipper’s fondness for Hollywood killer passes seems at odds with the way of Rodgers, yet he is surely good enough to thrive in a fresh style.

Whichever players flourish, whichever stars are left flailing, there is no doubt in my mind that Liverpool have just made the most wise and wonderful decision in their recent history.
They will now become a club with a thoroughly modern manager and a team playing thoroughly modern football – and they will soon enough once again be credible challengers for the Premier League title.

Carroll's first touch is fine. What do these guys get paid to write this tripe? "Most wise and wonderful decision", calm the fuck down bitch.

That first article is a waste of interweb space.
Ray's your game is the author.Nuff said

Liverpool have always been in Brendan Rodgers’ blood.

The gentle Irish lilt in his voice may betray the roots of a man born-and-bred in the small village of Carnlough on the coast of County Antrim.
But Rodgers’ father Malachy was a Liverpool supporter – and his father before him.

And although the 39-year-old has spent much of his life travelling around Europe to broaden his footballing philosophy, when it comes to citing his biggest influences it is the dad who passed away last year who matters more than Jose Mourinho or Johan Cruyff.

Rodgers’emotions briefly threatened to get the better of him as he spoke about what it would have meant to his parents to have seen his coronation as the new king of the Kop.

“Both my mum and dad both passed away in a short period of time and I can’t help but feel that as Liverpool manager I am representing them as well,”he said.
“My dad was a Liverpool supporter. And so was my grandfather. That was where it all started for me.
“I was born in 1973 and in the late ‘70s I remember sitting down with them both and just talking about football.

“They loved their football. My dad absolutely loved Cruyff, so that was where one of my influences came from.
“My dad was my biggest influence. He was my hero. That’s the difficulty of it all...”

The tears that welled up in Rodgers’ eyes as his words tailed off we a genuine show of emotion from a man who knows that he must win the hearts and minds of the Anfield fans after replacing the legend that is Kenny Dalglish.

After taking a sip of water to gather his thoughts, Rodgers added: “They say the best football coaches and managers are thieves.
“They pick up bits and pieces with everyone they have worked with.

“This game isn’t rocket science. But it is about having the courage and bravery to expose yourself to new ideas.

“The biggest influence on my life was my parents. I have learnt from many people – good and bad – but my mum and dad taught me the value of working hard.

“For them, working hard was an obligation rather than a choice.”

The greatest Liverpool managers have all had an unbreakable emotional attachment with the club and the supporters.

And when I mentioned that some of the soundbites he uses could have come straight from Bill Shankly’s Little Red Book, he laughed as he said: “Don’t go there. Please, just don’t go there.”

But Rodgers’ message that he wants to put pride back into a club that has started living off it’s glorious past will resonate with supporters.
“What I want to do is inspire the city of Liverpool,” he said. “That is my mission.

“I want the city to be proud of their team. I want every Liverpool supporter around the world proud of this football club.
“I want to align the imbalance between the supporters and the team.

“The fans are world-class. They are up there with the best in the world. Everybody in this country and all around the world know that.
“But the team has perhaps slipped a bit. How can move it forward? That’s the question people will be asking.
“All I can say is that I am a people’s person. I’ll be finding out everything I can about the club, the city and the people.
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.”

“My parents brought me up to work hard so I was always someone who would try to create something rather than waiting.
“I went out to Spain, Holland and Germany to learn about football. Then I was lucky enough to work with Jose Mourinho at Chelsea.

What an absurd argument. We should, obviously, scour the globe for talent. And, equally obviously, 99.7% of the players we look at won't be good enough. But as long as we find those hidden gems it is all worthwhile. Some clubs are really good at finding cheap talent, we are horrendously shit at it. Refusing to look at players from this league or that league makes no sense.
i'm not saying dont buy players in the lower leagues, what i am saying is that the odds of any of them making it and adding value to our team are slim and if we want to go back to where we belong tralwing the lower leagues is not the start.

Rodgers makes no attempt to hide how he wants Liverpool to play, or what formation he intends to impose. His philosophy appears to be if he can make good players fit the system, opponents will know what’s coming but won’t get enough of the ball to undermine it.

“They say the best football coaches and managers are the best thieves so you look to pick up bits and pieces from everyone,” he said.

Brendan Rodgers might not sound as good as someone from Italy or Spain. British managers have often been overlooked as not being impressive. I’m very proud that people here can see my vision, philosophy and work. I know Liverpool spoke to a number of European coaches but they went with an Irishman.

“What is new about my appointment is a British manager getting a job like this. When I started in management I wanted to show that British managers can get teams to play the way continental teams do, and that we have players who can adapt to that. I would say my style is a fusion.

“I’ve got a good idea where the group’s at. I think the biggest thing if you look at the team, it’s goals. It’s not rocket science. I think we’re defensively strong. They need more goals in the team. I think that’s the key. Whether that’s going to involve bringing players in or adapting the style to have a more high pressing game we’ll see.

"But that’s a challenge I’m looking forward to. My philosophy is simple — I’m here to educate. I’m not here to train. You train dogs, you don’t train players.

“Working with Jose Mourinho gave me great confidence. He saw something in me, and being at Chelsea gave me the opportunity to work with big players, and know that I could get my ideas across to them. It was a great experience, because I was there for the biggest year in Chelsea’s history.

“Jose and I keep in contact on a weekly basis, and I’ve got great respect for him. But I’m very much my own man. I had my own identity and my own ideas before I arrived at Chelsea.”

Rodgers could have been celebrating the title last month had he accepted an offer to become Roberto Mancini’s assistant two years ago.

Instead, he was drawn towards his managerial ambition.

“I went to Milan and met Roberto Mancini but then I got the call from Swansea,” said Rodgers.

“It was destiny really. It’s fate. I’m a big believer in that.”

VILLAGERS in the sleepy home town of new Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers raked in a fortune by backing him for the job.

Shocked bookies suspected a leak and suspended betting on him after a string of big-money punts, despite the then Swansea chief being a 10-1 outsider.

More than £100,000 was wagered from the small village of Carnlough and neighbouring Larne in County Antrim, Northern Ireland.

And delighted locals were celebrating a monster payout when their hero Rodgers – nicknamed Fudgey – was named the new Kop boss.

The betting sensation has now prompted claims that punters had inside information that Rodgers, 39, had been offered and accepted the Liverpool job.

Shortly after 3pm last Saturday, Northern Irish bookies slashed odds dramatically as a flurry of bets came in for Rodgers – before closing the betting.

McLeans bookies cashier Laura Gribben, 32, who works in the Larne branch, said: “We stopped laying bets on Rodgers on Saturday because everyone was wanting to get hundreds on him.

“A rumour that he had got the job spread like wildfire. My dad and his mates even got a bet on it.”

Nearby betting shop Toals also suspended betting.

The rumour is said to have started at McAuley’s pub, where Rodgers’ brother Declan runs the Cheyennes disco upstairs, where Brendan used to dance.

Barmaid Ciodhna McCormick said: “All the lads in the pub backed Fudgey last Saturday.”

Rodgers was an outsider, having turned down Liverpool’s approach to talk to him when the heavy punts were laid.

One bookmaker said: “It started around 3pm on Saturday.

“Out of nowhere we were seeing big bets being placed online and over the phone – and every one of them was from Carnlough or the surrounding areas.

He added: “It was only when I got texts from contacts at other bookmakers that we realised this was Rodgers’ home town. That was when we started to panic and had no choice but to keep chopping the price.

“Seven-to-one, 9-2, 3-1, 2-1, evens – but the money kept coming.

“You’d see the surnames cropping up too, entire families were lumping on. When you see a pattern like that you presume there’s inside info going round and it looks like they had.”

Liverpool - Swansea link up?

SWANSEA CITY have been told they could actually benefit from Brendan Rodgers’ exit – after he promised to help link the club to Liverpool.

The Liberty Stadium club have been left reeling after a week from hell when the man who led them to the Premier League and far-flung acclaim walked out of South Wales to become the new Liverpool boss.

But Rodgers has insisted he won’t forget about the club that launched him into the limelight, saying he is ready to renew a partnership that last worked in Swansea’s first top flight spell.

Having emulated John Toshack’s feat of steering the club to the top division, Rodgers now wants to create the same Merseyside connection 30 years on that Tosh had.

Any renewal of such a special relationship could see top young Red gems like Raheem Sterling sent to South Wales.

Yet Rodgers, who conceded he will not be in the market for any current Swans stars for at least 12 months, has insisted he would only consider the best for his old outfit.

“I have already spoken to Huw Jenkins about this kind of thing,” said Rodgers. “Swansea can be a great place for any young Liverpool player to go to.

“I did it the other way around with Chelsea and we used a connection then. But they have to be good enough – you have to be a real good young player to play for Swansea.

“The players I took from Chelsea – like Scott Sinclair and Fabio Borini – I did because they were talented players. For talented young players, there’s no better place to leave than Swansea.

“And it will be interesting now to assess the squad here and have a look at the young players we have.”

That won’t be for a time yet with Rodgers spending Friday inspecting Liverpool’s facilities and his new Melwood training base after his official unveiling before heading away on a family holiday.

But he made it clear he would not consider sending cast-offs Swansea’s way and instead would be interested in using Swansea as a first option for loan deals or best moves for young players who want away from Anfield.

Back in the days of Tosh the likes of Ian Callaghan, Colin Irwin, Max Thompson, Tommy Smith and Ray Kennedy made the move to the Vetch Field.

But the majority of the deals tended to be for players at the tail-end of their careers while here it would be more about the starlets who could boost the Swans.

Swansea’s recent rise has long seen them benefit from intelligent loan moves, including ex-Red Paul Anderson, Italian marksman Borini from Chelsea and defender Steven Caulker from Spurs.

And a quick glance at Rodgers’ new charges suggests Swansea could get themselves first in the queue for the likes of much-hyped winger Sterling who inched close to the Liverpool first-team last year with the 17-year-old winning praise from Welsh Anfield ace Craig Bellamy.

“He is a talent, give him some time to carve out a career,” Bellamy said. “Fingers crossed that if he can knuckle down and focus on his training, he can grow to become a real star.”

Swansea have previously shown interest in young Reds striker Dani Pacheco and defender Danny Wilson, the latter a highly-rated Scottish centre-back.

However, of greater concern to the Swans will be the loss of their own young talent with Rodgers already admitting he would need to buy-in players that will be able to help him adopt the ‘Swanselona’ style at Anfield.

There had been fears that Huw Jenkins’ claims of a 12-month respite in the estimated £7m compensation contract thrashed out would only be a gentleman’s agreement as Rodgers initially sidestepped questions on the issue.

And although he confirmed to Wales on Sunday the ban of swooping for Swans stars IS part of the deal that took him to Merseyside, he insisted that did not count if players became available.

Former Swansea boss Roberto Martinez angered fans after initially promising not to poach from the Liberty only to make bids for Jason Scotland and Ferrie Bodde after other clubs made offers.

“It is part of the contract,” admitted Rodgers. “There’s no doubt a host of players there that can play for a big club. I don’t want to destroy a brilliant time and a brilliant relationship that I have with Huw. Naturally, though, if there are players who are going to go then I would want to be in the market for them.”

That also does not rule out Rodgers trying to lure loan star Gylfi Sigurdsson to Liverpool despite an agreement in place for Swansea to make the Icelander their £6.8m record signing.

But while initially there was grave concerns the deal would be dead the moment Rodgers left Swansea, key figures at the club remain confident it can be rubber stamped in time for the new season.

Sigurdsson is keen for assurances of first-team football after spending six months of last season frozen out and with captain Steven Gerrard a likely fit for the attacking role in Rodgeers’ system of three central midfielders then it remains to be seen whether the Anfield club can do that.”

Holloway seems to have a liking for our young players (latest player linked with Blackpool is Paul Anderson). If he gets the Swansea job, such link up will be 'appetizing'.

You notice he doesn't mention who he supported!!

I wonder if he was a manc! Actually, he's getting close to over-playing the LFC connection. In one interview he said he sat with his Grandad watching Keegan and Toshack play, but he would only have been about four when Kevin left. Anyway, it doesn't matter, he's said the right things, he sounds sincere and he's now very committed. Onwards and upwards.

I wonder if he was a manc! Actually, he's getting close to over-playing the LFC connection. In one interview he said he sat with his Grandad watching Keegan and Toshack play, but he would only have been about four when Kevin left. Anyway, it doesn't matter, he's said the right things, he sounds sincere and he's now very committed. Onwards and upwards.

Did I not read somewhere he had a trial with Man U?

Attention, new Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers: Robbie Fowler is available for signing.

The former Liverpool star striker, now 37, suggested jokingly yesterday that Rodgers should sign him as he is free of contracts after playing the past season for Thai Premier League side Muangthong United.

In all seriousness, the new Reds manager - tasked to rejuvenate the club after seasons of mediocrity - is highly unlikely to consider signing someone nearing the end of his footballing career, even if it is Fowler, who starred for Liverpool from 1993 to 2001, scoring 183 goals.

However, the Liverpool-born footballer is still keen to help out his hometown club in whichever way possible.

"Whether it is in an ambassadorial role, or perhaps a coaching role, I'm available for Liverpool," said the Englishman, who is in Singapore for a series of promotional activities for lifestyle retail store Courts.

"I still have a deep passion for the club and, if Brendan needs me for any sort of role, I'll be up for it."

While supportive of the new manager, Fowler also felt a tinge of sadness over previous manager Kenny Dalglish, who was sacked two weeks ago after a season in which the Reds finished eighth in the Barclays Premier League.

"He is someone I've always loved, whether as a player or manager for the club," he said of the club legend.

"I think the results weren't as bad as people made them out to be, considering that Liverpool also won the League Cup and reached the FA Cup final.

"I think Kenny should have been given another season but, obviously, the owners think otherwise."

With the European Championship starting on Friday, the former England international will also be watching with interest England's progress in the tournament.

After a poor World Cup Finals showing in South Africa two years ago, not many are predicting England to advance deep into Euro 2012.

Does this mean less pressure on the players? Fowler does not think so.

He said: "There are always massive expectations within England for the national team to do well. The pressure will always be there.

"This current squad, to be honest, do not seem to have what it takes to win it. That doesn't mean the English fans expect anything less."

Fowler is the first of two BPL footballers that Courts is bringing to Singapore this week. Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany will be in town on Friday for a meet-and-greet fan session at Courts Orchard.

Rodgers shortlist according to some (possibly reliable) rumours:

Jordy Clasie DM/CM, from what I've seen he has the same build as Spearing but he's better on the ball.
Dos Santos WF
Sigurdsson AM/CM

All young up and coming players, not even close to their peak. I think it's encouraging.
Add Aquilani, Allen, Ramirez and I'm sold.

Oh and get rid of Downing and Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom