• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby salary cap.

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Administrator
What's everyones thoughts on it now Flutey, Haskell and Palmer will all leave Wasps at the end of this season to play in France for more money?

Meh. The overall standard of rugby on view in the Premiership may decline, but the national team shouldn't be affected.

I've just seen a interview given by Shaun Edwards who was suggesting that a rule might have to come into play, where in which those players who choose to play in France might not get picked to represent England. it seems that the deal that the clubs have in place with the ERU does not apply to the french clubs, so the English players playing for those teams don't have to be released until a max of 1 week before the game + not at all for certain international fixtures.

Its a personal call but i don't like the idea of a salary cap.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=31378.msg805925#msg805925 date=1234901346]
Meh. The overall standard of rugby on view in the Premiership may decline, but the national team shouldn't be affected.
[/quote]

I think the national team will be affected, but worryingly I think for the better.

If all the top English internationals move more opportunities will be given to younger English players.

I agree with Shaun Edwards.

Mind you, as a League fan, I think we should do away with our own salary cap to discourage players moving to the inferior Union code for the money.

Never understood the attraction of it myself either, I'm afraid.  The players are fine athletes, no doubt, but all it seems to consist of is six tackles, change - six tackles, change - six tackles, change etc.etc.  Union can be stop-start sometimes, but is generally a far more varied game.

To be honest, I am a fan of both codes although I much prefer League. I have only ever seen one Union game live and it was a bit boring, there are too many stoppages. If you happen to catch the wrong team, e.g. England, the game is nothing but kick, ruck, ruck, kick, ruck, run round in a circle then go back into the same ruck you came from, kick, forward pass (ignored), kick .... penalty, 3 points, everyone cheers.
Not the best.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31378.msg807868#msg807868 date=1235150576]
League is rugby for simpletons/ real sportsmen
[/quote]

Im with Larry, I find League more enjoyable to watch, over all.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=31378.msg808018#msg808018 date=1235179406]
[quote author=Rosco link=topic=31378.msg807868#msg807868 date=1235150576]
League is rugby for simpletons/ real sportsmen
[/quote]

Im with Larry, I find League more enjoyable to watch, over all.
[/quote]

Rugby league isn't a sport... it's a warm-up exercise to Rugby Union.

Back
Top Bottom