• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=45879.msg1410825#msg1410825 date=1318311522]
Wiz II,

You really think both passes weren't forward? That's surprising ...

The ball went forward on both of them, no doubt about it. I just don't think it was passed forward on either of them.

My issues re: 95:

1) home field side always gives you advantage. England '66? SK in '02? France in '98? Be it the crowds, be it ref - it's why 'hosting' a big tourney helps so much.
2) the food poisoning - we've seen this used before Spurs/Gooners too. If the WHOLE squad got it, ok but a few? Dunno. The All-Blacks were a far better team that year, far better team than anyone. They just were flat in the final as a TEAM and the Boks held out and got what they needed to eek it out.

Mate, I'm amazed anyone argues this anymore - it's just accepted now. The english teams used to complain about being poisoned when they played the European Cup in other countries back in the day. Then they realized it was just they weren't used to the water. The only people in the entire touring party who weren't caught with food poisoning was a group of about 8 (staff and players) who didn't eat where they were staying.

My issues re: 07:

The winners ALWAYS get the breaks, be it with how weaker teams upset the bigger teams (France vs NZ). SA were a very good team that year, and as Rafa alludes to, got even better later in the decade. I don't really mind if they go through the best, or through the worst - they won the games in front of them and that's what counts. No one will remember how or why in 30 years.

As I said, I really don't have a problem with the SA side that one in '07. They beat everyone they had to and that's what's required. That said, they were last in the Tri-Nations, got beat on home soil by New Zealand and utterly smashed in the Shaky Isle in the lead up. At the time they said it was simply preparation but the match at home was their best 15 and they never looked close. Contrary to what it may seem I don't discount that they were the winners '07. My point is that they wouldn't be sitting at home just now if they'd moved out of the 70's and started playing the game with the intention to score tries. Australia didn't really manage it but all they had to do was compete at the breakdown to stop them. More variety and the Wallabies would be the ones at home.
[/quote]

They may one day mate (move out of the '70s) but it works for the team currently. I don't mind it to be honest - the game against the Australians was great (despite the loss) and I really enjoyed it (Maybe that's cuz I don't really understand all the rules 100% or I only watch Tri-Nations and WC due to where I live!).

I thought it was only half the All Blacks team that got sick? Now it's everyone bar 8? I dunno - I don't believe it's fair to deprive players like Joost, or Piennar or Joubert or Oz of what they did on the field. So I won't, but I guess I shouldn't really have a problem with people doing it if there is concern [But it's always fun to see the All-Blacks lose anyways]

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=45879.msg1410847#msg1410847 date=1318321742]
They may one day mate (move out of the '70s) but it works for the team currently. I don't mind it to be honest - the game against the Australians was great (despite the loss) and I really enjoyed it (Maybe that's cuz I don't really understand all the rules 100% or I only watch Tri-Nations and WC due to where I live!).

I thought it was only half the All Blacks team that got sick? Now it's everyone bar 8? I dunno - I don't believe it's fair to deprive players like Joost, or Piennar or Joubert or Oz of what they did on the field. So I won't, but I guess I shouldn't really have a problem with people doing it if there is concern [But it's always fun to see the All-Blacks lose anyways]
[/quote]

I'm not saying they weren't a good team, mate. Pienaar remains the toughest player I've ever seen on the rugby field. Fitzpatrick etc were tough as they come but he was near psychotic when it came to going through pain. He had some great team mates too. It's just they were up against better teams. I was 100% behind South Africa to beat France but there was not getting around the fact that only the ref stopped France from making the final. I worked for a NZ company at the time of the final so I was desperate to give it to them after all they're bragging and I didn't disappoint. But, as annoying as I must have been in calling them losers and whingers etc I knew they'd been cheated as well. That's just the facts.

If I'd been the ref in the semi final there was no way I'd have awarded the French a penalty try against Pienaar and a 100,000 sports crazed, frustrated South Africans either.

Rugby World Cup 2011: New Zealand's worst fears coming true with Richie McCaw major injury doubt for semi-final

It's Doomsday in New Zealand. It's double jeopardy. First Dan Carter went down with a groin injury that finished his tournament. Now there are serious doubts whether skipper Richie McCaw will be fit to play against Australia on Sunday.

The All Blacks media management desperately tried to close the session when Victor Vito confessed more than he probably should at a press conference. The loose forward replacement said: "With Richie it's been the same for a little while, just managing his foot.

"We're trying to get our skipper back on the paddock. If it is so he cannot play then either myself or Thommo (Adam Thomson) will fill in there. Thommo is pretty good at the breakdown."

With that the players were ushered from the room. Too late. There were already suspicions. When the gate was finally lifted to let the media in for the final 15 minutes of All Blacks training, Richie McCaw exited the stage. It's tempting to say he did a runner, but he wasn't moving that quickly.

Wearing trainers to protect his feet, McCaw gingerly walked up the slope, pausing to sign a few autographs for the kids. He has been suffering since Sunday night's game. He has been suffering most of the year after having a pin inserted to relieve a stress fracture of the foot. McCaw calls it a niggle, the rest of New Zealand calls it a catastrophe.

Matt Todd, the openside who deputised for McCaw at the Crusaders this season, was also seen at training. The All Blacks management said that Todd would not be training with the squad on Thursday and was in Auckland to see his girlfriend. Convenient. At least Todd is now familiar with a few of the drills.

New Zealand cannot afford to lose McCaw's leadership. They also need the flanker's experience of playing against David Pocock. The Aussie No 7 is the best in the world at the moment, as he proved against South Africa, but McCaw has ways of limiting him.

Pocock said: "I think at this stage of the tournament there wouldn't be too many blokes who aren't carrying some sort of injury. Come game day everyone puts that behind them and once you're out there you don't notice anything."

But will McCaw be out there on Sunday? England would not have won the '66 World Cup without Bobby Moore. McCaw has a similar influence on the All Blacks. Class is one of those words that gets daubed around the sports field, but Moore and McCaw both have it. If you attack McCaw, you attack a nation, as Quade Cooper has been finding out in recent weeks. Carter is the genius, McCaw is the figurehead.

The players all admit that the breakdown is going to be a decisive part of Sunday's semi-final.

Jerome Kaino said: "Australia showed in that last meeting we had in the Tri Nations how crucial the breakdown area is. We'll be looking to shore that up. They showed against the Springboks how effective they were at turning the ball over."

Kaino may not just have to shore up the breakdown, he may have to shore up a nation. New Zealand's fans are tottering. They do not have a genuine seven to replace McCaw. He is the sandbag who can usually be relied on to stop the Aussie floodwaters crashing in, but at the moment the sandbag has a big hole in its base.

If New Zealand do not have McCaw, then Will Genia's threat will increase.

Reserve scrum-half Andy Ellis said: "If they don't get that front foot ball it's hard for him to run and hard to put players into space. It's a really big part of the game. We know that. We've talked about it, we've trained things to try and overcome it."

But they haven't trained McCaw. He is there as a supervisor at the moment. Kaino said: "It's not too bad with Richie not taking too much involvement in training. We know each other. We know our game. If Richie sits out we have guys like Victor and Thommo who can slot in."

They slot in like square pegs. Vito is a No 8 and Thomson a blindside. New Zealand do not have proper cover at openside. Australia did not have cover either when they arrived at this tournament. They tried to bandage over Pocock's absence against Ireland and they lost. Pocock is that important to Australia.

Vito said: "He's a massive threat and as loose forward he's always going to be pushing the boundaries of the law and if he gets away with it, good luck to him. With the physicality of the ruck we will have to take out whoever is there."

The fear is that New Zealand will go the same way as Australia did when Pocock was absent. At the moment the All Blacks medical staff is almost as important as the coaches. They will be desperate to get McCaw on the pitch. But they also know that the only thing that will heal his foot is time.

And New Zealand don't have time. It's now or never.

Read an interview with Adam Ashley-Cooper (Aussie centre) today. He said he did not touch the ball in an attacking capacity ONCE against SA. He made some tackles and recycled the ball. And that was it. That's incredible.

It was an extreme version of the Ireland Wales game. Wales made over twice the amount of tackles than the Irish. We controlled most of the game, but their defence, and attack when they had the ball was incredibly good.

I really hope Wales win it now. I think they've got all the tools.

One change, Hook in for the injured Preistland.

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Shane Williams, James Hook, Mike Phillips; Gethin Jenkins, Huw Bennett, Adam Jones, Luke Charteris, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (C), Toby Faletau

REPLACEMENTS: Lloyd Burns, Paul James, Bradley Davies, Ryan Jones, Lloyd Williams, Stephen Jones, Scott Williams.

M Medard; V Clerc, A Rougerie, M Mermoz, A Palisson; M Parra, D Yachvili; J Poux, W Servat, N Mas, P Pape, L Nallet, T Dusautoir (capt), J Bonnaire, I Harinordoquy.

Replacements: D Szarzewski, F Barcella, J Pierre, L Picamoles, F Trinh-Duc, D Marty, C Heymans.

Trust Lievremont to keep Parra at 10 instead of bringing Trinh-Duc in. I don't think Trinh-Duc himself is any great shakes, but he is at least a fly-half by trade. Also, Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones really ought to have the beating of those French props.

I tipped France before, albeit without any great conviction. Now I reckon if Wales get points on the board early, they'll win.

I have not been able to stop thinking about this game all week. It frightens me that everyone from the pundits through to the bookies have us as favourites.

Hook playing at 10 is a gamble, Gatland has been reluctant to play him there during his time as boss and now for our biggest game in years he's given the nod. He could easily turn out to be motm, but is more than capable of throwing the loose pass that costs us the game.

Rumours were that Sam was an injury doubt, but hopefully he can see the game out in the manner he has so far to date. I don't think it's by luck that the last four sides have probably the best out and out 7's in the game.

I'm going to continue to back the French to win this game, hopefully it might help to limit the pain if we do end up losing.

"If" by some miracle we do make it in to the final, then please please please let the Aussies win v the All Blacks.

Rather than seeing Hook as a gamble, lucky someone like that can come in! Shame for the young fella but them's the breaks I guess.

Like it always is, you just do not know what you're getting with France. I know you are nervous mate but, for a neutral, your boys are a worthy tip. Let's hope they pull it off.

On Radio 5 this morning they were saying that there were a large number of England fans in Auckland who were buying Wales tops.

Now I want Wales to win because they are playing well but will I put on a Welsh top? No chance! I'm English and whilst I respect their team and what they have achieved so far, wear their top I would not. Plus if I were Welsh and down there, I wouldn't want a load of English jumping on the bandwagon.

I also can't imagine many right minded Welsh doing the same if the roles were reversed!! Am I alone in thinking this?

I think a shed load of Englishmen seceretly wish they were Welsh mate (JJ to name but one).

I must admit i've been surprised at the levels of support we've recieved from the English, I think a lot of it might be down to the fact that we're playing the French.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1411882#msg1411882 date=1318584469]
I think a shed load of Englishmen seceretly wish they were Welsh mate (JJ to name but one).

I must admit i've been surprised at the levels of support we've recieved from the English, I think a lot of it might be down to the fact that we're playing the French.
[/quote]

You know what, I'm mildly ambivalent about the French. I only want you lot to win cos you play in Red.

I was in Cardiff last Saturday night and to be fair we were ragged rotten about our result and there was only one real troll who was looking for a reaction and he was dispatched pretty quickly. Good night out to be fair.

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=45879.msg1411847#msg1411847 date=1318578846]
I also can't imagine many right minded Welsh doing the same if the roles were reversed!! Am I alone in thinking this?
[/quote]

There is no chance a Welshman would support England in anything and I wouldn’t expect anything different. Just the same as I would never support Scotland, Wales or especially Ireland in anything. Hell, I’d support Germany or France before any of those countries.

Personally I will be supporting France tomorrow and in the final if they get there.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1411882#msg1411882 date=1318584469]

[/quote]

Think again, matey. ;D

[quote author='Dave' link=topic=45879.msg1411905#msg1411905 date=1318588712]
[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=45879.msg1411847#msg1411847 date=1318578846]
[/quote]

There is no chance a Welshman would support England in anything and I wouldn’t expect anything different. Just the same as I would never support Scotland, Wales or especially Ireland in anything. Hell, I’d support Germany or France before any of those countries.

Personally I will be supporting France tomorrow and in the final if they get there.
[/quote]

Thank the lord for Dave!!!

I saw the below on a t-shirt and when it comes to international sport it pretty much sums up my thoughts on this.

"I support two teams, Wales and whoever's playing England!"

[quote author='Dave' link=topic=45879.msg1411905#msg1411905 date=1318588712]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah i tend to agree, but why France over the Aussies or Kiwi's Dave?

Definetly over Oz.

I wouldn't be that bothered if NZ beat France were that the final.

I like France and in fact if it was France v England in Football i'd support France. Which is odd because I support England in other sports. Don't really know why I just like France a lot. Maybe recently because of what they did to Ireland (Henry). Which was hilarious.

[quote author='Dave' link=topic=45879.msg1411942#msg1411942 date=1318594996]
Definetly over Oz.

I wouldn't be that bothered if NZ beat France were that the final.

I like France and in fact if it was France v England in Football i'd support France. Which is odd because I support England in other sports. Don't really know why I just like France a lot. Maybe recently because of what they did to Ireland (Henry). Which was hilarious.[/quote]

Hahahahahahaha!

*waits for the Irish to arrive*

Guide me, O Thou great Redeemer
Pilgrim through this barren land
I am weak but Thou art mighty
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.

Bread of heaven, bread of heaven
Feed me till I want no more (I want no more)
Feed me till I want no more.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1412030#msg1412030 date=1318610801]
Guide me, O Thou great Redeemer
Pilgrim through this barren land
I am weak but Thou art mighty
Hold me with Thy powerful hand.

[/quote]

Imagine that sung to the tune of "Help Me Rhonda" instead of "Cwm Rhondda". ;)

*Ignores JJ and Rosco's negative vibes*

welshflag.jpg

I would love to see Wales in the final but I think that the French will win....I am really looking forward to (what I hope will be) an open, exciting match.

Just met a Welsh living and working in Malaysia, he was gloating and wanted to gloat over the Irish, Scots and English but he could not find many. Now he wants to be in the midst of French, so I told him to go to Novotel in KL to watch the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom