• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to know how much to read into that result tbh ... you'd still have to fancy the Welsh to come out of that group even if Samoa are a bit better than expected.

And we've got Fiji as well, who we drew with at our place not so long ago.

With South Africa up first, it's seems it's going to be squeaky bum time for us.

GIteau dropped for the tri-nations game this weekend. Looks like it's not just you that thought that Larry.

Tbf to Matt, if he had tried to tackle him it would have only ended up like Tony Underwood v Jonah Lomu mark two.

Giteau has been past it for a couple of seasons to be fair and Cooper is already a better player than Giteau was at his peak. Cooper has been better than Dan Carter in Super Rugby this season and that's not to say Carter is on the wane, he's still been superb. But Cooper and Genia have been outstanding.
Giteau gave the coach an ultimatum that he wanted to play stand off or not at all and was told he had no chance. So, he's off to France after the World Cup, doubt he'll feature much for the Wallabies again.
The Aussies have more or less made the expected changes although a couple of players who are faves of the coach have been retained despite poor form. There have been calls to axe Elsom as he's had a woeful Super Rugby season, the Brumbies did in general, yet they still have a fair prescence in the team which has infuriated a few onlookers.
I guess they'll use the Tri-Nations this year to chop and change till they find the preferred line up. They should play O'Connor inside centre though, wasted on the wing.

I don't disagree with Larry that Giteau isn't what he used to be, but the guy is a winner (as well as still being a very good player) and it's his experience in particular that they'll miss if he's not there. One couldn't easily justify picking him ahead of Cooper though. Tricky one. Who'll blink first?

Can't see past NZ for this, in their own back yard, tough year with the earthquake. One of those feel good stories.

England should make the semis but won't go all the way, it's 4 years too soon.

They deserve to be favourites, but it wouldn't be the first World Cup they'd gone into as favourites and failed to win.

[quote author=Judge Jules link=topic=45879.msg1372288#msg1372288 date=1312026664]
Powell back in the Wales squad, I see.
[/quote]

Yeah and a number of other players who were originally left out. Seems a bit a strange to leave them out of the wc training camp, only to recall them once it's finished.

I see that SA got another beating this weekend after fielding a second string. I wonder how this will impact on their world cup challenge?

TBH probably not a lot. They're aging, short of talent in one or two positions and hamstrung by having a loonytunes as a coach.

SA should be grateful that Carter left his kicking boots at home and that NZ fielded a weakened team. Otherwise that would have been 60+ at least.

United Nations v Wales

D Armitage (London Irish); M Banahan (Bath Rugby), M Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), R Flutey (London Wasps), M Cueto (Sale Sharks); J Wilkinson (Toulon), D Care (Harlequins); A Corbisiero (London Irish), D Hartley (Northampton Saints), M Stevens (Saracens), S Shaw (Unattached), T Palmer (Stade Francais), T Croft (Leicester Tigers), L Moody (Bath Rugby, capt), J Haskell (Ricoh Black Rams).

Wales: Rhys Priestland (Scarlets); George North (Scarlets), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams; Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Paul James (Ospreys), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Craig Mitchell (Exeter), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Danny Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt).

Mixed feelings about this game. Looking forward to seeing how North ( a 19 year old 6.4 and 17 stone winger) and Faletau (20 year old number eight) go. Problem is with so many players left out and England playing a strong side it's likely we're going to get a kicking.

It's only a warm up game JJ, so no piss taking afterwards please.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1374767#msg1374767 date=1312529447]
United Nations v Wales

D Armitage (London Irish); M Banahan (Bath Rugby), M Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), R Flutey (London Wasps), M Cueto (Sale Sharks); J Wilkinson (Toulon), D Care (Harlequins); A Corbisiero (London Irish), D Hartley (Northampton Saints), M Stevens (Saracens), S Shaw (Unattached), T Palmer (Stade Francais), T Croft (Leicester Tigers), L Moody (Bath Rugby, capt), J Haskell (Ricoh Black Rams).

Wales: Rhys Priestland (Scarlets); George North (Scarlets), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams; Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Paul James (Ospreys), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Craig Mitchell (Exeter), Bradley Davies (Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Danny Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Sam Warburton (Blues, capt).

Mixed feelings about this game. Looking forward to seeing how North ( a 19 year old 6.4 and 17 stone winger) and Faletau (20 year old number eight) go. Problem is with so many players left out and England playing a strong side it's likely we're going to get a kicking.

It's only a warm up game JJ, so no piss taking afterwards please.
[/quote]

Good Second XV game that. WTF the left wing of England's defence thought they were doing, only they know, but Wales took their chances well (though the pass for North's first try was definitely forward). Wales didn't look so hot in the tight though, so I expect your first choice props will reappear in Cardiff. Question is whether that'll be enough, and I doubt we're going to agree about that. ;)

On a side note, that was by a street the best I've seen Steve Walsh referee a game. The guy seems to have grown up, and not before time either.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=45879.msg1372797#msg1372797 date=1312157358]
SA should be grateful that Carter left his kicking boots at home and that NZ fielded a weakened team. Otherwise that would have been 60+ at least.
[/quote]

They fielded their second string ... I guess they didn't learn from the All-Blacks in 2007. We could also use a proper head coach ... Oh well, I'll be very surprised to see the Boks getting to the semis.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=45879.msg1375630#msg1375630 date=1312705139]
[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=45879.msg1372797#msg1372797 date=1312157358]
[/quote]

They fielded their second string ... I guess they didn't learn from the All-Blacks in 2007. We could also use a proper head coach ... Oh well, I'll be very surprised to see the Boks getting to the semis.
[/quote]

Wouldn't worry about it too much. NZ could win the WC with at least 2 different teams. Their biggest problem is establishing their best XV.

That said, their last try yesterday was such a knock on, it was ridiculous.

:) 19-9

2 yellow cards + we were smashed in the scrum/lineout and almost every other relevant stat, yet we still managed to win.

Our defense was very special indeed today.

Very kind offer but I needn't trouble you mate. I do have one or two for Johnno about his midfield selections and tactics though.

Well it was a warm up game so i can understand why you chose not to take the 3 points that were constantly on offer. I don't think it was just your midfield that should be taking the hits personally, Flood and Banahan were both very wasteful (if Ashton/Wilkinson had played i suspect you'd have won).

Looks like Henson is going to be ruled out with a broken arm, a real shame for him as he was looking the part.

I know i get easily excited with regards to welsh players, but our young lads in the back row were superb yesterday.

Good win by Worcester Warriors last night, 15-3 against Melbourne Rebels who are on tour here. Cipriani played but was anonymous. In the second half the Rebels brought Mortlock and a few other first-teamers on and dominated, but Phil Larder's now coaching Worcester's defence and it held out well.

Cipriani has been abysmal for the Rebels, they've been trying to offload him but I think he's on mega bucks (sounds familiar).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom