• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rugby World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pool A
New Zealand, France, Tonga, Canada, Japan

Pool B
Argentina, England, Scotland, Georgia, Romania

Pool C
Australia, Ireland, Italy, Russia, United States

Pool D
South Africa, Wales, Fiji, Manu Samoa, Namibia

Quarter-final One: 8 October
Winner Pool C v Runner-up Pool D
(Wellington Regional Stadium, 0600 BST)

Quarter-final Two: 8 October
Winner Pool B v Runner-up Pool A
(Lancaster Park Stadium, 0830 BST)

Quarter-final Three: 9 October
Winner Pool D v Runner-up Pool C
(Wellington Regional Stadium, 0600 BST)

Quarter-final Four: 9 October
Winner Pool A v Runner-up Pool B
(Lancaster Park Stadium, 0830 BST)

Semi-final One: 15 October
Winner QF1 v Winner QF2
(Eden Park, Auckland, 0900 BST)

Semi-final Two: 16 October
Winner QF3 v Winner QF4

Bronze final: 21 October
Loser SF1 v Loser SF2
(Eden Park, Auckland, 0830 BST)

Final: 23 October
Winner SF1 v Winner SF2

Soooo........Potential QF's:

1. Aussies v Wales
2. England v France
3. SA v Ireland
4. NZ v Argies

Semi's:

Wales v France
SA v NZ

Final:

NZ v France

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1393021#msg1393021 date=1314891645]
Ha oopps!

Really starting to get quite excited about this now.
[/quote]

Me to, la.

My favourite sports tournament, bar none.

[quote author=Bologna link=topic=45879.msg1393064#msg1393064 date=1314895050]
[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1393021#msg1393021 date=1314891645]
Ha oopps!

Really starting to get quite excited about this now.
[/quote]

Me to, la.

My favourite sports tournament, bar none.
[/quote]

tough call that. thread worthy

Only a few days to go now until it all kicks off!

As we get closer to our opening match i'm starting to have doubts that we'll make it out of the group. Good to see the All Blacks lose their last 2 games, seems to open up the WC a little bit more.

So then..........

Winners?

Players of the tournament (1 forward and 1 back please)?

Surprise team?

Leading try scorer?

Who makes the final?

Winners - the Blacks. Surely they won't let it slip again, now that they're in their own back yard.

Forward of the tournament: David Pocock of Australia outgunned McCaw at the breakdown in the Bledisloe Cup game recently, so he must be in some form.

Back of the tournament: Dan Carter if you include half-backs, otherwise maybe Bryan Habana.

Surprise team: Not a name you'd usually associate with this category but, despite the tournament taking place in the Southern Hemisphere and their coach being second only to South Africa's in terms of sheer lunacy, I think France could surprise a few.

Leading try scorer: Habana.

Finalists: N.Zealand and Australia, beating S.Africa and France in the semis.

Winners: NZ

Forward: Tierry Dusautoir

Back: Ma'a Nonu

Surprise Team: France (Very strong squad that nobody seems to be talking about + they've had a good warm up for the WC, and their recent successful trip to NZ will have done them no harm at all).

Leading try scorer: Dagg

Final: NZ v France

New Zealand team to face Tonga: I Dagg; R Kahui, M Nonu, S B Williams, I Toeava; D Carter, J Cowan; T Woodcock, A Hore, O Franks, B Thorn, A Williams, J Kaino, R McCaw (capt), V Vito. Replacements C Flynn, B Franks, A Boric, S Whitelock, P Weepu, C Slade, C Jane.

It'll be interesting to see how Sonny Bill gets on.

Winners: NZ

Forward: Ritchie McCaw (maybe Pierre Spies)

Back: Dan Carter

Surprise Team: Samoa

Leading try scorer: Cory Jane

Final: NZ v Australia

Can anyone see a situation where NZ don't win it ?

I've been thinking about and while they're heavy favourites for a reason if Dan Carter gets injured I think they're done.

Winners: Australia

Forward: Pocock, Sean O'Brien if we go well.

Back: Dan Carter

Surprise Team: Wales

Leading try scorer: SBW

I don't see how a side who are ranked 4th in the world can be a surprise team at a World Cup.

Final: NZ v Australia
[/quote]

We've named our team for the first game:

Ireland G Murphy; T Bowe, B O'Driscoll, G D'Arcy, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; T Court, R Best, M Ross, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell, S Ferris, J Heaslip, S Jennings. Replacements J Flannery, T Buckley, D Ryan, D Leamy, E Reddan, R O'Gara, A Trimble

We're clearly holding back a couple of the players recovering from injuries (Healy, O'Brien, Kearney) but that's fine. Conor Murray starts at 9, he's young inexperienced but possibly the best of our three scrumhalfs based on limited recent evidence. He's one to watch. If Ferris is back to his best this will get very interesting.

I'm not into rugby at all so im gonna fool people by c&p'ing Ross's posts into FB to freak people out.

By picking Wales as your "surprise" team Rosco, do you mean we might get out of the group?

Wales team:

James, Bennett, Jones, A W Jones, Charteris, Warburton, Lydiate, Faletau, Phillips, Preistland, Williams, Roberts, Davies, North, Hook

Personally I was hoping Hook would start at FH with Halfpenny at fullback + Charteris over B Davies is a big call.

I'd be looking to bet on you beating SA. You always run them close

And I'm worried Hook will have a huge World Cup.

I love this quote:

The 22-year-old Lawes, similarly, is ready for whatever Argentina attempt to throw at him. "It's good to start with a tough team. It gets you switched on and you can't take a step backwards. If you go to sleep on them they're going to beat you. You need to put them down at the start of a game to make sure they don't come back at you. I don't mind a scuffle every now and again. It doesn't get under my skin. I just do it because I can and it might get under theirs. They're going to be full on from the start but we're going to match them and we're going to beat them. We have to."

That's Johnsons influence.

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=45879.msg1396235#msg1396235 date=1315553344]
I love this quote:

The 22-year-old Lawes, similarly, is ready for whatever Argentina attempt to throw at him. "It's good to start with a tough team. It gets you switched on and you can't take a step backwards. If you go to sleep on them they're going to beat you. You need to put them down at the start of a game to make sure they don't come back at you. I don't mind a scuffle every now and again. It doesn't get under my skin. I just do it because I can and it might get under theirs. They're going to be full on from the start but we're going to match them and we're going to beat them. We have to."

That's Johnsons influence.
[/quote]
That is the sort of language you want to hear from one of your forwards....
England should win by 10-15 points, the argies aren't as good as 4 years ago.

If you're picking at potential flaws once the big games come around, then the NZ scrum looks like it could be got at.

Sonny Bill has looked very good today, but i'll tell you what he plays a very high risk game. You could easily see him costing the All Blacks points during this world cup.

Didn't get to see them this morning, but I'll try to catch the replay later.

I've convinced myself they are beatable already. I just need some evidence to back it up now.

[quote author=Kenny4PM link=topic=45879.msg1396298#msg1396298 date=1315562870]
If you're picking at potential flaws once the big games come around, then the NZ scrum looks like it could be got at.

Sonny Bill has looked very good today, but i'll tell you what he plays a very high risk game. You could easily see him costing the All Blacks points during this world cup.
[/quote]

I gather that a fair chunk of the NZ rugby public don't think Woodcock should be starting. Some wouldn't have him in the squad at all.

Official warning for England (7pens in 17 mins).

Argies have missed 2 pens but lead 6-3. A very physical game so far.

Scotland were quite lucky against Romania this morning , and all the other scores were probably a bit closer than people expected. This might be the underdogs world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom