• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ryder Cup

leftpeg

Well-Known
Less than a month to go and in a few days time we'll know the two line-ups.

On the European side, only Stephen Gallacher can now force his way in but he'd need a top two finish at the Italian Open this weekend to take McDowell's spot on the automatic list. Even if that does happen, there's absolutely no doubt McDowell would get a pick. If Gallacher does get in, I would expect Donald and Poulter to get the other two picks. If McDowell holds on to his automatic spot I can't see Gallacher getting a pick so I think McGinley will go with Westwood.

As things stand, it's hard not to see another big win for Europe.

Changed my mind... Gallacher, Poulter and Westwood for me (though I think McGinley will go for Donald over Westwood).

He won't pick Gallacher. He's played every week on that European Tour and hasn't been able to force his way into the top 9. Plus, his putting's ropey as fuck.

Same could be said for Westwood's putting I guess, but at least Westwood's form in the majors this year has been quality, Plus Donald's Ryder Cup record is better than just about everyone's, and he's a great foursomes partner.

I'm a big fan of Lee Westwood but his 2014 major record reads 7th, MC, MC, t15th which is hardly 'quality'.

As for Gallacher, he's been the model of consistency on tour. He doesn't play on the US Tour which makes it almost impossible to gain the world ranking points to qualify from that list...which is why he has played all of those European Tour events. The guy shot 65 yesterday under extreme pressure so while he's quiet and unassuming he's clearly got the bollocks to play in a Ryder Cup.

Tricky one for McGinley. Gallacher has the form but no RC pedigree; Westwood has masses of RC experience, a good (but not great) record in it but no consistent form to speak of; Donald has a very good RC record but again no form. Poulter has a fantastic RC record but again only patchy form.

McGinley's a European Tour stalwart and probably sees a lot of himself in Gallacher. I expect his two vice captains (Sam Torrance and Des Smyth) will also advocate Gallacher for similar reasons. The 9 already in the team is very strong so I think he can afford to mix up his picks. Poulter's record will get him in and I think it would be a cop out to pick both Donald and Westwood. Unfortunately, I think Westwood will be the one to miss out to make way for Gallacher.

Well called Leftpeg! Glad he's gone with Gallacher, solid player, hits the ball lowish - good in the wind. Westwood is a very lucky boy though.

McGinley's got great options in his pairings. Depending on form at the time, on the first day I'd go with:

Foursomes:

McIlroy - McDowell
Rose - Poulter
Westwood - Donaldson
Bjorn - Gallacher

Fourballs:

McIlroy - Garcia
McDowell - Dubuisson
Rose - Poulter
Kaymer - Stenson

Most commentators thought Watson would pick Snedeker. Your resident Ryder Cup expert knew better than that.

First fourballs...

Rose & Stenson v Simpson & Watson
Bjorn & Kaymer v Fowler & Walker
Gallacher & Poulter v Reed & Spieth
Garcia & McIlroy v Bradley & Mickelson

All look like tight matches but I'll go for Europe in match 1,3 & 4...half in match 2.

Cant wait for this.

Fourballs in the the house tomorrow morning, then into town for 12pm and on the ale all day for the foursomes. God knows what time I will get in (and what state!)

The 4th game is the standout tomorrow morning. Our two best players together, and their best pairing.

Two bets for me.
Justin Rose top European points scorer at 7 ta 1.
Bubba top American points scorer 9 ta 1.
Feeling it's going to be real close.
Can see America being minimum 2 up after the morning 4 balls.

I love the Ryder Cup but for it to remain the spectacle it now is America need to win it from time to time. Tom Watson is my all time favourite player so for me, this isn't a bad one to lose. I've also had a few quid on a USA win.

I know, I know but if they keep getting beat they'll lost interest and then we won't be able to enjoy beating them. If you see what I mean...

Nah, its our turn to dominate! They battered us from the 1920s to the 1980s! Fuck them.

Well my alarm is set for 7.25 to get up and watch this, so I can give you a wake up if you want?

Jesus. Well, I'll be up then as I'm off the doctors... But then I'm Buying the new fifa... I might catch some of it over the weekend

Webb Simpson's first tee shot barely reached the ladies tee. According to historic golf etiquette, if he hadn't reached it he would have had to play the hole with his knob out.

Apart from the Poulter/Gallacher match Europe had a grip on this morning and then pissed it away. Now they can't afford to lose the afternoon.

Brilliant afternoon for Europe. That Garcia/Rory 1/2 point will have been a sickener given they'd been 2 down with 2 to play. Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom