• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

SCM Golfers?

the count

SCM's least favourite muppet- There was a poll
Honorary Member
I don’t know if this has been done before but I was just wondering how many golfers are there among us.
Can you tell us a bit about you the golfer
i.e.

how often you play?
club member or not?
handicap?
favourite/best course you have played

basically anything about you and your golf game.

For the record I am a member of a club in north Co Dublin playing fairly handily off 17. Probably like most golfers I believe I could lower my handicap a bit if I put more of an effort into it but to be honest I am fairly happy just plodding along and enjoying the game.

Maybe not the best course I have played but probably the best known is the K Club, venue for the 2006 Ryder Cup, which I have got to play a couple of times. It is a very nice course and is so pristine compared to the regular courses I play.

Anyone else want to add anything?

Not really the weather for golf, the bats are away until February at the earliest!!
I am a member at Eccleston Park Golf Club in Rainhill, about 400 yards from my house. My official handicap there is 8.9, it was 8.1 this time last year but I had an awful season in the competitions.
I tend to play once a week, normally midweek when I am off and the kids are at school, although that can be 2 or 3 times a week from April to October (depending on shifts).
I also play in a golf society in work, once a month March through October. And I occassionally guest at another society too.

I am a right hander, I have played for over 15 years. A fairly long hitter off the tee, reasonably straight. Tidy touch round the green. Not bad with the mallet on the dancefloor. I used to be excellent with an iron in my hand, but since the rest of my game developed, the irons are no longer as reliable as they were. When the irons perform in a round, I am likely to shoot low a 70's score, +4 or +5. The irons have been average for the last few years and are the reason why my handicap is on the up instead of down.

I have played a few tidy courses due to our society travelling for weekends away.
The Brabazon at the Belfry, Arden course at the Forest of Arden. My favourite destination is Slayley Hall in Northumberland, 2 excellent courses and hospitality second to none.
I have yet to play abroad, which is my target in the next few years as my kids get a bit older.

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=30246.msg771238#msg771238 date=1231282822]
I have yet to play abroad, which is my target in the next few years as my kids get a bit older.
[/quote]

I went to Florida a couple of years ago and it is a great destination for a golf holiday. they really know how to look after you there even though the people taking the clubs out of your car or giving them a clean after a round became a right pain in the arse when we were at the better end clubs.

Spain is mean to be a very good destination too.

Been playing since mid 20's seriously.

Was down to a 12 around this time last year but injuries and a lack of playing mean I've played close to that for a while.

I'm usually accurate off the tee which means I'm in a good position to use my mid irons. I love playing the long irons off the deck or off the tee and I can rely on them.

I need to improve from 60 yards in and on the dancefloor but my putting is better than it was.

Looking to start playing again in a couple of months, back permitting. I've played at The Belfry on the PGA National and also played at a couple of Open Qualifying course like Little Aston in Brum.

I love playing in Cornwall where my in laws have a holiday home. Rarely busy and quite often you can turn up and tee off. Hospitality is fantastic and the courses are always in good shape and whilst some are a bit short, you need to be accurate off the tee to succeed.

I've played in Portgual once on a client jolly up near Braga in the north. Need to do more of the same and frankly seeing as my brother in law lives on the Costa Del Sol, I need to visit him far more than I do.

I was a club member at Mill Green in Welwyn Garden City up until early last year but friends deserted me and my back played up so I didn't renew because it was £90 saved a month!

Looking forward to getting close to and hopefully below the 12 handicap I was at previously during 2009.

Been playing on and off for 15 years. Never been a member, so never had a handicap.

With a few rounds warm up, i can usually hit the low 90's. But i've not played more than 10 rounds in a summer for a few years so never built up consistency. Pretty good all round, fair distance off the tee, irons are fine, much better on approach and putting though. Although the first few rounds can be a collection of stupid mistakes.

I reckon i could do alright if i got back into it seriously, but i'm old, play football in the evenings and love cycling (and beer gardens). So you can't do everything.

Been playing on and off for about 15 years, not a member of a club nor do I play regularly but when I do I play off 13.

I go away once a year with a group of lads in what we term the RGBT (round Great Britian Tour) ahthough we have also added Europe.  For this tour we try to play the best courses in the country we visit.  So I have played some of the best in Europe.

THe Belfry
Valderrama - didn't rate it that much
Sotogrande
Finca Cortesin - great course that has just got the world matchplay.
Gleneagles
Cetic Manor
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Portmarnock
The European club - The greatest course ever - very very brutal if the wind blows.
Royal Porthcawl
North Berwick
Formby
Druids Glen
Royal St Davids
Ballyliffen

During the spring and summer I try to go out with the lads every couple of weeks and we normally play Carden park the Nicklaus course which isn't bad.

Long off the tee and only use a 3 wood as I haven't found the right driver yet, not that it makes much difference as my 3 wood goes plenty long enough.  Short game is very good but my putting is very hit and miss especially on the faster greens.

[quote author=Dahuge link=topic=30246.msg771316#msg771316 date=1231320861]
Been playing on and off for about 15 years, not a member of a club nor do I play regularly but when I do I play off 13.

I go away once a year with a group of lads in what we term the RGBT (round Great Britian Tour) ahthough we have also added Europe. For this tour we try to play the best courses in the country we visit. So I have played some of the best in Europe.

THe Belfry
Sotogrande
Gleneagles
Cetic Manor
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Portmarnock
The European club - The greatest course ever - very very brutal if the wind blows.Royal Porthcawl
North Berwick
Formby
Druids Glen
Royal St Davids
Ballyliffen

During the spring and summer I try to go out with the lads every couple of weeks and we normally play Carden park the Nicklaus course which isn't bad.

Long off the tee and only use a 3 wood as I haven't found the right driver yet, not that it makes much difference as my 3 wood goes plenty long enough. Short game is very good but my putting is very hit and miss especially on the faster greens.

[/quote]

The European Club is indeed a wonderful course and I have had the pleasure of playing it two or three times.

If you are ever over this side of the Irish Sea again you should head west where there are some magnificent courses.
Enniscrone, in Co sligo is a great links on a par with the European Club since it's relatively recent upgrade and even better is Carne, in Belmullet co Mayo. Next stop is America after Carne but it is truly worth the journey as it is a most magnificent links, a real monster in waiting, and pretty much my favourite course anywhere.

[quote author=the count link=topic=30246.msg771202#msg771202 date=1231279933]

For the record I am a member of a club in north Co Dublin

[/quote]

Which one, mate?

Used to caddy in Skerries during the summer, but never took to playing...

[quote author=Whaddapie link=topic=30246.msg771790#msg771790 date=1231356659]
[quote author=the count link=topic=30246.msg771202#msg771202 date=1231279933]

For the record I am a member of a club in north Co Dublin

[/quote]

Which one, mate?

Used to caddy in Skerries during the summer, but never took to playing...
[/quote]

Balcarrick is where I am a member. It is a fairly bog standard course, pretty ordinary really but with excellent greens.

To be fair I don't use my club membership that much. I prefer to use my GUI membership to play other courses in open competitions.

[quote author=the count link=topic=30246.msg771781#msg771781 date=1231356011]
[quote author=Dahuge link=topic=30246.msg771316#msg771316 date=1231320861]

I go away once a year with a group of lads in what we term the RGBT (round Great Britian Tour) ahthough we have also added Europe. For this tour we try to play the best courses in the country we visit. So I have played some of the best in Europe.

THe Belfry
Sotogrande
Gleneagles
Cetic Manor
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Portmarnock
The European club - The greatest course ever - very very brutal if the wind blows.Royal Porthcawl
North Berwick
Formby
Druids Glen
Royal St Davids
Ballyliffen

Long off the tee and only use a 3 wood as I haven't found the right driver yet, not that it makes much difference as my 3 wood goes plenty long enough. Short game is very good but my putting is very hit and miss especially on the faster greens.

[/quote]

The European Club is indeed a wonderful course and I have had the pleasure of playing it two or three times.

If you are ever over this side of the Irish Sea again you should head west where there are some magnificent courses.
Enniscrone, in Co sligo is a great links on a par with the European Club since it's relatively recent upgrade and even better is Carne, in Belmullet co Mayo. Next stop is America after Carne but it is truly worth the journey as it is a most magnificent links, a real monster in waiting, and pretty much my favourite course anywhere.
[/quote]

Will keep them in mind for next time we are over in Ireland.

Wanna play ballybunnion as well.

Cheers

I'm a golf shark.

The type that loiters in the golf house with fancy wear that emboldens my already naturally suave and charming demeanor, boasting how I'd take anyone on but only for a sizeable wager as golf's a game for the big boys.

I'd lie about my handicap and skank a few tee-offs, just so you fools would think the only golf I know is the one I play on my Wii.

But then as the round progresses, and you start to get complacent, that's when this hustler will start flexing those irons and whipping 2-on's on par 5s like he was born to play the game. And all these without even taking out his drivers. Ha.

Yeah....I'm a golf shark me. Single handicapper but I always lie that I play at 15.

I think the word is cheat RR. Not shark but cheat. It is not about winning against opponents, but against the course. If I won a comp but shot a round of 90, I would be gutted. If I went round in level par, but didn't win, I would be chuffed to bits.

[quote author=Loch Ness Monster link=topic=30246.msg773743#msg773743 date=1231580894]
I think the word is cheat RR. Not shark but cheat. It is not about winning against opponents, but against the course. If I won a comp but shot a round of 90, I would be gutted. If I went round in level par, but didn't win, I would be chuffed to bits.

[/quote]

Bang on the money. The word is not shark, its fucking bandit.

[quote author=Roger REDerer link=topic=30246.msg773511#msg773511 date=1231531802]
I'm a golf shark.

The type that loiters in the golf house with fancy wear that emboldens my already naturally suave and charming demeanor, boasting how I'd take anyone on but only for a sizeable wager as golf's a game for the big boys.

I'd lie about my handicap and skank a few tee-offs, just so you fools would think the only golf I know is the one I play on my Wii.

But then as the round progresses, and you start to get complacent, that's when this hustler will start flexing those irons and whipping 2-on's on par 5s like he was born to play the game. And all these without even taking out his drivers. Ha.

Yeah....I'm handicapped

[/quote]

Sounds impressive Roger.

I dont play much/if ever. Last time I played at Brampton I had a fucking mare.

Subsequently Golf is a game for cunts.

Baby has ruined my golf as it did with first child.

Only played about 20 times this year, its easier after work in summer rather than weekends.

I play off 18 and been playing around 5 years now, love it but hate it at the same time, very frustrating having a mare.

I play at lots of different places, couldn't be bothered to play in one place and be member, all places in Berkshire and Hampshire mainly.

Great game, need to get my 5 yr old playing so I can justify weekend golf

I took the game up about 3 years ago and joined a club in Kildare called Woodlands, which I am slowly growing to hate, I play there most Sunday mornings ridiculously early as I play with my dad, brother and pals, I'm not a morning person and I think my golf suffers for it. So much so that I regulary shoot over my handicap (19) on my home course and under it on any other course, cos I play at sensible times.

I'm wayward off the tee and my long irons are a little sloppy, but from 100 yards in im pretty good and putting would be my strong point.

I've played the K club ryder cup course and a few other great courses in Spain and Ireland, but my favorite course I played was Druids Glen. It gets called the Augusta of Ireland by some and maybe thats why I like it as Augusta would be my number one course to play if I had a choice of any.

[quote author=Roger REDerer link=topic=30246.msg773773#msg773773 date=1231587363]
Hey...blame it on the credit crunch ok.

A man needs to eat.
[/quote]

Weren't you talking earlier about buying an audi or mercedes? Now a 'man needs to eat' ... You really do talk a lot of kak man.

[quote author=LeTallecWiz link=topic=30246.msg785502#msg785502 date=1232635881]
[quote author=Roger REDerer link=topic=30246.msg773773#msg773773 date=1231587363]

A man needs to eat.
[/quote]

Weren't you talking earlier about buying an audi or mercedes? Now a 'man needs to eat' ... You really do talk a lot of kak man.
[/quote]

and his dad has got a new X6. Dodger and his family are rich I thought, top IT Guru and all that.

Some of you muppets take every word I say too literally.

The credit crunch 'joke' was meant to be satirical.

All that other stuff bout me getting a new car (already driving a brand new BMW), dad's X6 and IT job are all true. Don't need to lie.

[quote author=Roger REDerer link=topic=30246.msg785574#msg785574 date=1232641539]

All that other stuff bout me getting a new car (already driving a brand new BMW), dad's X6 and IT job are all true. Don't need to lie.
[/quote]

I know you are flush dodge don't worry, the IT consultancy game can be very nice

What car did you get anyway Mr Branson

[quote author=Roger REDerer link=topic=30246.msg785574#msg785574 date=1232641539]

[/quote]

Well better to be a cheat than a liar AND a cheat eh.

[quote author=Spionkop69 link=topic=30246.msg786009#msg786009 date=1232709993]

[/quote]

Well better to be a cheat than a liar AND a cheat eh.
[/quote]

Hustling and cheating are two different things compadre.

A man needs to eat.
[/quote]

I thought you claimed you were minted or something. Ooops Quiffed.

"Obviously you're not a golfer."

Sorry Roger, but there's a distinct sense that you are full of shit, either that or you are cripplingly insecure.

Sometimes I just give up explaining to retards like you.

Anyway I don't have to prove myself to nobody, not especially to ppl from net forums.

I mean, it's fucking senseless and silly trying to prove to some net geek that I play golf when almost every fortnight I tee off at my local club. Which one matters ? The real world or the virtual world ?

Stupid twat.

Do I look like I intend to 'make mates' off a fcuking internet forum ?

If I would I would've kissed arse the way you did, a long time ago.

You were a nobody when you first joined....never dared to diss anyone....look at you now....you even got voted the campest poster of the year simply cos your mouth's full, from sucking everyone's dicks on here (except mine of course).

Back
Top Bottom