• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sell Glen Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't believe it, how would they know them all.

Carroll is never on that much and I bet Beckham is on more

[quote author=Fox link=topic=45117.msg1322553#msg1322553 date=1303914246]

[/quote]

I guess Pardew has a better insight in what Carroll makes than any of us here.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=45117.msg1322552#msg1322552 date=1303914158]
[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=45117.msg1322535#msg1322535 date=1303912725]
[quote author=Hass link=topic=45117.msg1322532#msg1322532 date=1303912644]
There's no effing way Carroll is on 80k a week, no chance. he was on about 20k a week at newcastle. 80k maybe if Cyril was still with us and doing all the negotiationg but not now with Cammolli here.
[/quote]Exactly.
[/quote]

Pardew offered a different take. "I don't want this animosity but Andy's slightly misguided; he's emotional at the moment, he's a local boy and that's understandable," he said. "We certainly didn't twist his arm to get on the helicopter. He had a five-year contract, a contract we said we would renew in the summer. He wanted to renew it straight away."

When Newcastle declined to offer a lucrative new agreement immediately, Carroll is said to have asked to speak to Liverpool and his manager told him to put that request in writing. "That was when the power shifted," said Pardew. "Liverpool's offer was enormous, the figure is extraordinary for a 22-year-old who has done six months in the Premier League but, if Andy had really wanted to stay, he could have stayed."

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/01/alan-pardew-newcastle-united

It was only yesterday afternoon that the Carroll deal was tied up, freeing Torres to depart for a medical in west London. Newcastle quoted Tottenham £30m earlier in the month when they inquired about Carroll and could not refuse when Liverpool met the £35m valuation. Carroll's wages are expected to rise from £20,000-a-week to £70,000-a-week.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/andy-carroll-i-was-forced-from-newcastle-united-15069568.html

According to the Guardian, Carroll's wages will spike from 27k to 80k per week. Newcastle is now being linked to Emile Heskey and Peter Crouch for Carroll replacements.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/01/transfer-window-live-blog-chelsea-nearing-Fernando-Torres-deal-newcastle-cancels-press-conference.html

-------------

Yes, exactly.
[/quote]What? Pardew and two seperate NEWSPAPER articles (both of which have different amounts!!). Nothing from club or player.
Its fucking bullshit.
Im not even interested in debating it.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=45117.msg1322554#msg1322554 date=1303914361]
[quote author=Fox link=topic=45117.msg1322553#msg1322553 date=1303914246]

[/quote]

I guess Pardew has a better insight in what Carroll makes than any of us here.
[/quote]Why? Would you say it would be standard practice when an agent is negotiating for his player to
A)Quote the exact wage and hope that the team matches it.
or
B)Quote a vastly inflated wage (eg80k) and assume that the team will come in under it but matching the ACTUAL wage?

You tell me.
Think about it.....

Sloooowwwwwllllyyyyyy.

johnson a good attacking player and if we want to get anywhere, like win the league (giggle) then we need to be keeping hold of our better players and johnson is certainly one of those.

I bet the English press, Portuguese press and the Swedish press are all wrong.

I don't care if you debate it or not. I'm just saying that just because you say Carroll isn't getting £70K a week doesn't mean it's true. Especially when two newspapers and a manager that was involved are indicating that he is probably is getting that type of money.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=45117.msg1322557#msg1322557 date=1303914709]
johnson a good attacking player and if we want to get anywhere, like win the league (giggle) then we need to be keeping hold of our better players and johnson is certainly one of those.
[/quote]
Yeah probably, but does he deserve it? Has he really done enough to warrant that wage?
That's how I see it.

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=45117.msg1322547#msg1322547 date=1303913652]
[quote author=Jack D Rips link=topic=45117.msg1322540#msg1322540 date=1303913196]
I honestly dont believe Kelly will be a long term RB. He seems too injury prone for that position. I expect to see him featuring at Cb in the not too distant future.
[/quote]

Too injury prone to be a RB, but fine for a CB? Does that make any sense at all?
[/quote]

Yes it does. His injuries of late seem to have come as a result bombing up and down the sideline.

[quote author=spider-neil link=topic=45117.msg1322557#msg1322557 date=1303914709]
[/quote]

He certainly hasn't been consistently one of our 'better' players, not nearly enough anyway. When he's done it for a full season instead of for a few months of one, like he has for us (and Chelsea and Pompey), then he might be considered a 'good' player, until then he needs to sort himself out and get rid of the stupid inconsistencies and moments of looking clueless.

He looked good before his injury at left back, but whenever he's played right back this season he's looked like a liability. Good player? He has the ability to be. Good defender? No chance, however good an 'attacking fullback' he is. We won't win the league if we ship goals because he looks like an amateur when asked to defend on the right. Everytime he's gone out the side (it happened last season too) we've started to defend better.

Screw that. You know, you're right Oncy I'm not gonna debate this with you cause basically this is a "What the fuck do you know?" - debate. I'm still gonna believe what the article and the other papers are saying more than you.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=45117.msg1322558#msg1322558 date=1303914714]

I don't care if you debate it or not. I'm just saying that just because you say Carroll isn't getting £70K a week doesn't mean it's true. Especially when two newspapers and a manager that was involved are indicating that he is probably is getting that type of money.
[/quote]So we're settling on 70k now NOT 80k?
Ok.

For the record i dont care if Andy Carroll is on 80k, the FACT is the figure is speculative. Wether it is based on quotes from another clubs manager or not is neither here nor there, if you take that ONE figure in isolation its unlikely that any newspaper KNOWS how much he is on, if you multiply it by the amount of players involved on the list and the amount of speculation needed it would be extraordinary if the figures were even remotely accurate.

Newspapers lie. Fact.

[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=45117.msg1322562#msg1322562 date=1303915077]
[/quote]

He certainly hasn't been consistently one of our 'better' players, not nearly enough anyway. When he's done it for a full season instead of for a few months of one, like he has for us (and Chelsea and Pompey), then he might be considered a 'good' player, until then he needs to sort himself out and get rid of the stupid inconsistencies and moments of looking clueless.

He looked good before his injury at left back, but whenever he's played right back this season he's looked like a liability. Good player? He has the ability to be. Good defender? No chance, however good an 'attacking fullback' he is. We won't win the league if we ship goals because he looks like an amateur when asked to defend on the right. Everytime he's gone out the side (it happened last season too) we've started to defend better.

[/quote]

But who has been constantly good for us anyway? I think we should aim to keep the best players, and Glen has potential to be a very good Liverpool player for years to come.

[quote author=Modo link=topic=45117.msg1322563#msg1322563 date=1303915213]
Screw that. You know, you're right Oncy I'm not gonna debate this with you cause basically this is a "What the fuck do you know?" - debate. I'm still gonna believe what the article and the other papers are saying more than you.

[/quote]Im not a bit suprised that you believe exactly what the papers tell you Modo.
Not a bit.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=45117.msg1322568#msg1322568 date=1303916034]
[quote author=Modo link=topic=45117.msg1322558#msg1322558 date=1303914714]

[/quote]So we're settling on 70k now NOT 80k?
Ok.

For the record i dont care if Andy Carroll is on 80k, the FACT is the figure is speculative. Wether it is based on quotes from another clubs manager or not is neither here nor there, if you take that ONE figure in isolation its unlikely that any newspaper KNOWS how much he is on, if you multiply it by the amount of players involved on the list and the amount of speculation needed it would be extraordinary if the figures were even remotely accurate.

Newspapers lie. Fact.

[/quote]

It's fair to say anyway, the higher the transfer fee, the likelihood the wages are higher, so I'd imagine Carroll is on big wages.

I doubt it'd be hard for the press to find out a players wage, but whether they bother to find out half the time is debatable, so you're right it's probably mostly speculative, though I'd reckon the figures, although not accurate, probably aren't that wide of the mark.

Around the time that Tevez was banging on about packing football in, I heard an interview with Rodney Marsh, wherein he stated that he knew for a fact that Carlos was on £196,000 a week, therefore, rubbishing the figure quoted in that article and, also, lending further credence to 0ncy's contention, that no fecker really knows what players are paid.

Oh, and don't sell Glen Johnson !

*gesticulates in general direction of Boston*

[quote author=Sven link=topic=45117.msg1322581#msg1322581 date=1303917192]
Seems that we are clearly over paying to our english players.
[/quote]

Yaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwn !

[quote author=Insignificance link=topic=45117.msg1322570#msg1322570 date=1303916081]
[quote author=mark1975 link=topic=45117.msg1322562#msg1322562 date=1303915077]
[/quote]

[/quote]

But who has been constantly good for us anyway? I think we should aim to keep the best players, and Glen has potential to be a very good Liverpool player for years to come.
[/quote]

Of course he does, that wasn't really the point, he's been woefully inconsistent and it's even more infuriating because when at his best he's a good weapon to have, but first and foremost he's a defender and that's where his flaws lie.

Neil just seems to overlook such failings because he ticks all his 'right' boxes, ie. fast, capable of scoring the odd 'spectacular' goal and as a defender his strengths lie in his technique rather than his defensive ability. As opposed to Kuyt who gives this odd perception of being the polar opposite, ie a work horse who's slow, unspectacular, poor technically and who strengths lie defensively. Except really, that's just a load of old bollocks that gets proven so season upon season. Yet he seems to think Johnson is a must to keep hold of in an attacking sense, but Kuyt is a sellable commodity who will deservedly drop down the pecking order when this brilliant winger comes in.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=45117.msg1322535#msg1322535 date=1303912725]
There's no effing way Carroll is on 80k a week, no chance. he was on about 20k a week at newcastle. 80k maybe if Cyril was still with us and doing all the negotiationg but not now with Cammolli here.
[/quote]Exactly.
[/quote]

A poster on SCM?

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I think hes done well at left back and would not mind keeping him there. That kid looks like good cover too whatshisname...Robinson.

Alternativlely we could sell him and take a risk on a player who might not even settle for a season or turn out to be the new Dossina!

Wages are for the accountants to balance, only worry about the balance on the pitch. Ideally we'd get a left footer in there. If we could get Clichy in id go for that swap but its not going to happen.

No keep him at left back, Kelly at right back and the 2 kids as back up, two less positions to worry about in the summer isnt it, hmm!

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=45117.msg1322871#msg1322871 date=1303947762]
[/quote]Exactly.
[/quote]

A poster on SCM?

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
[/quote]Exactly.

personally I think johnson can be like ashley cole and wih proper guidence truly take himself to the 'next level' as I think his technique is excellent, his problem is defensively he has trouble concentrating and gets dragged out of position too easily. you can teach some how to position themelves with training you can't teach someone how to go past players, you can either do that or you can't.

keep.

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=45117.msg1323003#msg1323003 date=1303977578]
Crikey, I think that's the first time I've heard you say that about Johnson.
[/quote]

I just say that other stuff to mask the real reason I like johnson and want him kept, he's black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom