• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who do we want/expect/hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if van gaal came in as "Sporting Director" then i'd be surprised if he stayed longer than a season . He'll get bored , want to manage/coach and run off to some high paying managers job in the middle east or something .

Reds race: Martinez battling Villas-Boas, Rodgers and Liverpool fans ahead of Boston job interview
Reds fans are already mounting a growing campaign against the idea of Wigan manager becoming the successor to Kenny Dalglish.

Roberto Martinez heads for Boston on Wednesday aware he faces intense opposition in his quest to become Liverpool manager.
Andre Villas Boas and Brendan Rodgers have emerged as livewire alternatives to the Wigan boss, despite his scheduled meeting with the Anfield club's owners in the States tomorrow.

And that is not the only hurdle that stands in the way of the Spanish coach, with Reds fans already mounting a growing campaign against the idea of him becoming the successor to Kenny Dalglish.

With Martinez set for a second round of talks after owners John Henry and Tom Werner initially made contact at the weekend, it is assumed he heads the Americans' shortlist.

Yet Villas Boas is a far stronger candidate than most fans realise, as Fenway have moved on swiftly with the process of whittling down the original list of candidates.

With the likes of original target Pep Guardiola always a fanciful pipedream, Liverpool have made discreet contact with the likes of Jurgen Klopp, Frank De Boer and Didier Deschamps, only to be rebuffed.
Now they are in talks with Martinez and Villas Boas, and even though Rodgers indicated he wasn't interested in joining such a public circus by having an interview himself, it is understood he is still in the frame.

The 39 year old manager has made it clear if he were on the short list then he would listen to what Fenway Sports Group have to say, and sources within Anfield suggest he remains one of their targets.
Unlike Martinez, Rodgers does at least have big club experience after previously playing an important role in Jose Mourinho's backroom team at Chelsea.

Villas Boas is also thought to be heading to Boston for talks, after making clear his desire to return to the Premier League despite a nightmare spell as Chelsea boss.
Yet that current list of candidates will disappoint and enrage Liverpool's fanbase in equal measure.

There is a groundswell of opinion in favour of former boss Rafa Benitez, who has yet to be approached despite indications from Fenway he would also get a call as they trawled through their list of candidates.

Benitez has made clear his desire to return, and has also revealed he would have no problems working under the proposed new structure at Anfield, after operating under a director of football for most of his managerial career in Spain.

The supporters' growing unrest as they await news of an approach to Benitez offers haunting echoes of the situation when Liverpool made their move to replace him with Roy Hodgson two years ago.

Back then, there was a refusal to accept the veteran boss, and that led to long term unrest within Anfield which threatened to rip the club apart. Fenway are now facing a similar situation as they press ahead with their plan to replace Kop legend Dalglish.

Reds fans are already mounting a growing campaign against the idea of Wigan manager becoming the successor to Kenny Dalglish.

In other words: "A few people on RAWK are kicking off about it"

Van Gall would help attract bigger name players too.

You can hardly see Europe's elite queuing up to play for Roberto Martinez can you? Nobody outside of England has ever fucking heard of him.

World's best player @ barca and they're reaping the benefits of something started in 93,but as seen, they can lose games when they can't break down opposition. They can't win ugly.

Munich... Haven't they not won much for a few years now? Constantly found out in europe.

TBH I'd love to be foundout in Europe the way Munich have been over the last 3 seasons. I'm sure their fans are pretty depressed at the moment after coming so close for the 2nd time (3rd at a stretch) in 3 seasons but we and 99% of other clubs in football would take their "depression" in a shot.

I think it's been pretty much demonstrated beyond debate that the attacking approach is what wins league titles. Not necessarily cups - and the CL is a demonstration this season as well as 2 seasons ago - but in the league. It's like turning up to a battle of chess like strategy and pulling out a nuclear warhead; game over.

The mancs have been doing it for years; Barca, Bayern, Madrid and Dortmund prove it beyond debate. Rafa showed it doesn't translate into cups and Ferguson, by reverse logic, demonstrated the same.

I have no doubt that Capello would probably get us to 4th and have us being a feared club to play once more which would obviously be a good thing. I don't believe for one second that it would lay the foundation for us to go any further in the league; we'd have to take a couple of steps backwards in a few years in order to make the leap to the summit.

I'm in favour of skipping that middle step with Capello though I can understand an argument to the contrary.

I have no doubt that Capello would probably get us to 4th and have us being a feared club to play once more which would obviously be a good thing. I don't believe for one second that it would lay the foundation for us to go any further in the league; we'd have to take a couple of steps backwards in a few years in order to make the leap to the summit.

I'm in favour of skipping that middle step with Capello though I can understand an argument to the contrary.
Yep and you can swap Capello with Rafa and the paragraph will still work.

From all the debates here regarding style of play can it be summarised as below?
1) Defensive set up wins cups
2) Offensive set up wins leagues

This is because draws get a team 1 point whereas a win 3 points. For cups a draw can still get you through with the luck of penalty shoot out.

Van Gall would help attract bigger name players too.

You can hardly see Europe's elite queuing up to play for Roberto Martinez can you? Nobody outside of England has ever fucking heard of him.

but i'm sure they've heard of Brendan Rodgers!

From all the debates here regarding style of play can it be summarised as below?
1) Defensive set up wins cups
2) Offensive set up wins leagues

This is because draws get a team 1 point whereas a win 3 points. For cups a draw can still get you through with the luck of penalty shoot out.

I'd say it's more to do with the quality of players you have in an attacking style.

Whereas you can get by with players of lower calibre in a defensive set up.

Winning cups is also about luck as well. Leagues, less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom