• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So who do we want/expect/hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for LFC we only have peanuts, so we will get some monkeys in defensive set up and hope for another cup run or two?

Van Gall would help attract bigger name players too.

You can hardly see Europe's elite queuing up to play for Roberto Martinez can you? Nobody outside of England has ever fucking heard of him.

Players come to the club not the manager, who the fuck has heard of barca's new manager

Di Matteo has proved that being a big named manager whit shit loads of experience means fuck all if you can get the team playing for you. Martinez might be brilliant.

You are the king of negative

LOUIS VAN GAAL has emerged as a contender for the newly-created role of sporting director at Liverpool.

Fenway Sports Group are in the process of implementing a new structure at the club following the recent dismissals of director of football Damien Comolli and manager Kenny Dalglish.

The club’s owners are already set to appoint Billy Hogan, the marketing director of FSG, as the Anfield outfit’s new commercial director. It is also believed Ian Ayre will be given more wide-ranging responsibilities as his position as managing director also comes under review. But it is the news of the interest in van Gaal that will most intrigue Liverpool supporters.

Van Gaal has been out of work since being sacked as Bayern Munich manager in April 2011, but enjoyed success earlier in his managerial career with Ajax, Barcelona and AZ Alkmaar. However, his stint as a technical director on his return to Ajax in 2003 was brief after he resigned due to a conflict with head coach Ronald Koeman.
And the 60-year-old Dutchman saw attempts to become Ajax’s chief executive thwarted earlier this year following a legal challenge led by Holland legend Johan Cruyff, who had not been consulted over van Gaal’s intended appointment.

Van Gaal will fit into FSG’s approach for an experienced sporting director to work alongside a younger manager, with Andre Villas-Boas and Roberto Martinez still heading Liverpool’s shortlist.

I'd take him as a Sporting Director, not as a manager though. It still smacks a bit of the Houllier/Evans fiasco though, hiring two managers.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/05/23/100252-31026157/?

FABIO CAPELLO is not a contender for the vacant role of Liverpool FC manager.

The former England boss has been tipped as a possible successor to Kenny Dalglish but reports suggesting Fenway Sports Group have been in contact with the experienced Italian are wide of the mark.

The ECHO understands Capello is not on the owners’ list of candidates and FSG have no intention of making an approach to discuss the role with him.

The 65-year-old’s agent has been keen to press his claims for the Anfield job but FSG’s attention is focused elsewhere.

Wigan’s Roberto Martinez, who is currently on holiday in Barbados, is expected to meet the owners for talks over the next 48 hours.

Ex-Chelsea boss Andre Villa-Boas remains firmly in contention, while it has emerged that Swansea City’s Brendan Rodgers hasn’t been ruled out.

Last week Rodgers publicly rejected the chance to hold talks with Liverpool after realising FSG planned to speak to around a dozen candidates.

However, the Northern Irishman could yet make the owners’ short-list and a second request to speak to him later on in the process is likely to yield a more positive answer.

FSG have distanced themselves from speculation linking them with a move for Didier Deschamps.

It has been reported that Marseille boss Deschamps spurned the Reds’ advances when he declared he intends to remain with the French club.

But the ECHO understands Deschamps’ agent approached Liverpool at the start of the search for Dalglish’s successor last week and was told there was no interest in speaking to the former Juventus midfielder.

There is no truth in reports that Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has become a contender to take over at Anfield.

Reds officials were left baffled by claims emanating from the capital that they are keen to speak to the 65-year-old.

Redknapp, who is currently seeking an extension to his Spurs contract which only has one year remaining, is not being considered by FSG.

and breathe...

:)

Reds officials were left baffled by claims emanating from the capital that they are keen to speak to the 65-year-old.

Redknapp, who is currently seeking an extension to his Spurs contract which only has one year remaining, is not being considered by FSG.

why are you baffled, the answer is right there.

If it's between AVB, Martinez, and Rodgers, then, who would people have? It'd be Rodgers for me, and I think I'd even have Martinez ahead of AVB. Everything I read about Villas-Boas concerns me; the more I hear, the clearer it seems that he really floundered completely at Chelsea. I think the other two are pretty much equally unproven and risky, but it just seems to me that Rodgers looks to have a bit more character about him: the idea of him leading a club the size of LFC is at least conceivable, but I really struggle to imagine that of Martinez.

If it's between AVB, Martinez, and Rodgers, then, who would people have? It'd be Rodgers for me, and I think I'd even have Martinez ahead of AVB. Everything I read about Villas-Boas concerns me; the more I hear, the clearer it seems that he really floundered completely at Chelsea. I think the other two are pretty much equally unproven and risky, but it just seems to me that Rodgers looks to have a bit more character about him: the idea of him leading a club the size of LFC is at least conceivable, but I really struggle to imagine that of Martinez.

I would go for Rodgers, closely followed by AVB and then miles behind would be Martinez.

I dont get the Brendan Rodgers love at all. Failed with a capital F at Reading, and took over an excellent team from Martinez at Swansea and havent really altered or changed that much of the set up.

Martinez was excellent for Swansea, but Im concerned about the defensive set up at Wigan and they take about 7 months of the season to find form, every year.

Villas Boas has a proven track record and is the best choice for me. With Van Gaal as Dof aswell that looks ace.

AVB
rodgers
martinez

AVB is my number one choice. everything I read about him from a tactical point of view I love, I realise football isn't played on paper.
I think we have the personnel to make his tactics work to a tee.
I wont lie the chelsea stuff concerns me but c'mon chelsea is a special case club, they have binned not one but two managers after 6 months. I actually the experience would have helped him.

rodgers ahead of martinez, if you look at bren's post on martinez the guy looks like a fucking disaster waiting to happen.

I dont get the Brendan Rodgers love at all. Failed with a capital F at Reading, and took over an excellent team from Martinez at Swansea and havent really altered or changed that much of the set up.

Martinez was excellent for Swansea, but Im concerned about the defensive set up at Wigan and they take about 7 months of the season to find form, every year.

Villas Boas has a proven track record and is the best choice for me. With Van Gaal as Dof aswell that looks ace.

the thing with rodgers he failed, went to spain in an attempt to learn and grow from his mistakes and has come back stronger.

All three are a risk, but only won have titles so for me would be AVB with a strong Director of Football/General Manager/Director of Sport not sure what the title will be!!!

Martinez and Rodgers would be huge risks sure everyone was raving about Owen Coyle last season but I would prefer Martinez as he has afew years in the league...Swansea were a surprise package and could be found out next season...

Although I`m not a huge Rafa fan it is a shame that a manager that can nearly guarantee CL football is overlooked, guess he is paying the price for all the political bullshit he got himself involved in when he was at the club...I don`t believe we should look backwards again but the man at least deserves to be interviewed if we only have the likes of Martinez and AVB lined up.

Van Gaal would become the coach as well soon enough. We'd have a job recruiting someone decent to work under him in the first place, and even if we managed it they probably wouldn't last.

As far as Villas Boas is concerned: sorry, but one excellent spell with Porto against bugger all competition and one spectacular failure at Chelsea do not constitute any kind of "proven record".

It's not just the Chelsea episode that concerns me about AVB. I'd always remembered those impressions Woland posted from his friend a year ago about him, at the time they struck me as significant. They turned out to be completely on the money: as soon as he was dropped into someting other than the kindest of environments he struggled terribly. Of the three he's the only one who's clearly failed in the PL - with the other 2 it's more or less a case of 'so far, so good'. I've got massive reservations about Martinez's ability to step up to a job this size, but he's built 2 good (footballing, at least) teams already in his career and had the balls to stick to his principles. I dunno... I think he might just have something.

It's not just the Chelsea episode that concerns me about AVB. I'd always remembered those impressions Woland posted from his friend a year ago about him, at the time they struck me as significant. They turned out to be completely on the money: as soon as he was dropped into someting other than the kindest of environments he struggled terribly. Of the three he's the only one who's clearly failed in the PL - with the other 2 it's more or less a case of 'so far, so good'. I've got massive reservations about Martinez's ability to step up to a job this size, but he's built 2 good (footballing, at least) teams already in his career and had the balls to stick to his principles. I dunno... I think he might just have something.

if it's a straight fight between the 3 young managers AVB has the most experience of being under intence pressure and high expectations.
with a strong DoF his primary job will be to coach and I think he has more about him in that regard

Has he clearly failed though? He wasnt given the chance to adress the issues an ageing Chelsea squad had, and they were 3 points of 4th place when he got sacked.

After the players talked to Roman about his tactics you just knew that it wouldnt end well. Chelsea is a poisonus environment to work in, and especially when you bench the senior players.

Sure he made mistakes aswell, but that job was never right for him. The analyist from Mourinhos era walking in to command respect from that bunch of cunts.

I think he'd be great here given time and a proper Dof.

I'm a long way from convinced by any of Rodgers, Martinez or AVB.

I do believe that AVB has the most technical knowledge but something makes me think Rodgers would be more likely to get the best out of our players; I think he's the strongest personality of the three which I believe will be important in our dressingroom. AVB would be my second choice of the 3 and Martinez the last I'd choose. He sets up some beautiful football but I don't think you can win the league without a good defense which he doesn't seem to understand. Nor do I think he's probably strong (maybe read that as tough) enough to lead a club like LFC....... yet.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be my third choice unless there's someone out there we're not hearing about. This does actually give me some hope cause that's how we landed Rafa. Everyone was talking names and saying the deal was done with a number of managers while Rafa wasn't even mentioned until at least half way through the period. I hope that's the same here and Pep or, even more preferable, De Boer steps in. Sounds like that would be the end of LVG though unless they repair the bridges following Ajax.

pure speculation but I think if AVB can convince FSG that chelsea was a one off and he was undermined (and let's be honest here he patently was) and FSG can convince him that they are going to support him would a decent transfer kitty then I think a deal will be done. has to happen quickly as roma are sniffing around.

Isn't the guy who owns Roma one of the members of NESV? If Henry and Werner have the mother and father of all brainfarts and decide Villas Boas is da man, we'll get him. Unfortunately.

Seems as though things went a bit tits up after the Terry/Ferdinand incident at Loftus Road.
They started the season with 6 wins 1 draw and 1 loss until that happened.

It's not just the Chelsea episode that concerns me about AVB. I'd always remembered those impressions Woland posted from his friend a year ago about him, at the time they struck me as significant. They turned out to be completely on the money: as soon as he was dropped into someting other than the kindest of environments he struggled terribly.

Is this the same kind environment that puked out Mourinho (most say it was because of player power)?

The players quit on him because he tried to take a stand against the old guard, much like our players did with Roy (for different reasons).

I'm not sold on AVB at all - don't get me wrong, but I'm not going to judge him solely on Chelsea (or Porto) ... The next job he takes, wherever he takes it, will be a defining one for how he's perceived ... Here's hoping if it's us, it's for the Porto like reasons. Shit, I'm trying to be optimistic. DAMN IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom