• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So Zenit at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sturridge was playing last night, we would have probably qualified. I'm not sure about never going to win it without him, but we would have had a much better chance with him, that much is obvious, surely?
Absolutely. I never disputed that. Read my post again.

Peter made a claim that we were NEVER going to win without Sturridge. I only said that if we didn't concede the early goal, we possibly wouldn't have needed him.

Absolutely. I never disputed that. Read my post again.

Peter made a claim that we were NEVER going to win without Sturridge. I only said that if we didn't concede the early goal, we possibly wouldn't have needed him.

Aatually the claim I was making (none too clearly, apparently) was that we were never going to win the whole competition without them. :)

I'd agree with that. We're a billion times better with Sturridge than without. Which makes you wonder why the fuck we bought Borini in the summer when we could have had him.

On the match, it's all been said innit. Great performance, standard issue fuck up cost us, as did stupid subs.

The Brenton giveth and the Brenton taketh away.

I tend to agree but then again, you never know. We were slated to play the winner of the Dnipro / Basel game in the next round - that would've been a very winnable tie. If we then avoided Chelsea, Spurs or Inter in the quarter finals, we might have progressed further still.

With Sturridge though, we'd have been one of the favourites I reckon.

I'd agree with that. We're a billion times better with Sturridge than without. Which makes you wonder why the fuck we bought Borini in the summer when we could have had him.

Maybe Sturridge wasn't available then or he hadn't decided on ending his Chelsea career? He had played 40-odd games the season before, and with Lukaku out on loan, Drogba and Kalou leaving and not replaced, he'd have been excused for thinking he'd get a chance to play more games this season.

Maybe Sturridge wasn't available then or he hadn't decided on ending his Chelsea career? He had played 40-odd games the season before, and with Lukaku out on loan, Drogba and Kalou leaving and not replaced, he'd have been excused for thinking he'd get a chance to play more games this season.

It was widely known that we didn't get sturridge on loan in the summer because he / chelsea wanted a permanent deal.

Can anyone get me a vid/gif of Agger's run in the first half please? Missed it.

Yeah, and perhaps they could also do one of his pass to their forward which could have wrapped the game up early for them. Before khl covers his Agger poster in spunk again.

Yeah, and perhaps they could also do one of his pass to their forward which could have wrapped the game up early for them. Before khl covers his Agger poster in spunk again.
Yeah, you tell us, he's certainly no Nemestacic.. .I don't even know his name, but that young lad from City whom has played 15 games in England (including sub app.) and has already proved himself to be a better ball-playing defender than Agger, in your opinion.

I can understand, because of your recent ramblings about how bad Agger is, you are doing your utmost to find something to criticize about him.

Fact is he played like a boss like night, whether you like or not.

Yeah, you tell us, he's certainly no Nemestacic.. .I don't even know his name, but that young lad from City whom has played 15 games in England (including sub app.) and has already proved himself to be a better ball-playing defender than Agger, in your opinion.

I can understand, because of your recent ramblings about how bad Agger is, you are doing your utmost to find something to criticize about him.

Fact is he played like a boss like night, whether you like or not.

I never said he's proved himself to be a better ball-playing centre back. I said I think he has as much footballing ability as Agger. Not quite the same, but then you would have to have read my post (and understood it) to know that. Anyway, it's pointless reigniting that argument.

Agger made a nice run yesterday. He also made a mistake which could have cost us the game (earlier).

It was Agger in a nutshell really.

It's been going on all season. Other clubs (Stoke and Villa spring to mind) have really exploited it. Sometimes it's just better to put your fucking foot through the ball and send back into their half. I wonder how many tippy tappy balls out of defence has cost us goals this season or at the very least create big chances for the opposition?

Yes. I mean, one little triangle, fine, so long as you then move up, but it goes back again - and again! It's as if the defenders are saying, 'Oops, bad luck, you nearly got it off us that time, now try again!' The nature of a triangle means the ball ends up back where it started, unless the three players move as they play it, so the fact they tend to remain stationary is part of the problem, but there really has to be some proper aim for it to justify the risk.

I never said he's proved himself to be a better ball-playing centre back. I said I think he has as much footballing ability as Agger. Not quite the same, but then you would have to have read my post (and understood it) to know that. Anyway, it's pointless reigniting that argument.

Agger made a nice run yesterday. He also made a mistake which could have cost us the game (earlier).

It was Agger in a nutshell really.
Agger kept the Hulk at bay for more or less for 90 minutes, winning every physical battle.

He made several great challenges and won almost every single defensive header. Looked a danger on attacking set-pieces and made a few very smart runs upfield.

Apart from one poor pass his passing game was also splendid last night, both short and long.

So to say that's 'Agger in a nutshell' because of one poor pass in such an intense game as last night is not only quite irritating but quite wrong and frankly looks pretty agenda driven too.

I thought Enrique was the one who was more often than not out muscling the hulk. Agger was improved yesterday, but nowhere near his best defensively yet.

Agger's run was great. It was reminiscent of Hansen, back in those bygone days when players were drunk and fans arrived on horse and cart. I do hope he realises such things are impossible these days and never tries it again.

Agger was much much better last night. Yes, he made a mistake early on when he gave the ball away, but in general, both when defending and on the ball going forward, he more than made up for his mistake.

More of the same please, Dan :)

I thought Agger played very well last night.

Him, Lucas and Suarez for me were the best.

He was indeed. Seems to be slowly getting back to his best, he still looks a bit sluggish on the turn though, but the bite and urgency has returned.

I suspect we've all slightly underestimated the mental side of him coming back from this injury. He did say soon after returning that he was beginning not to think about the injury when he went in for tackles, and I think the sheer intensity of last night's game was probably just what he needed to come through unscathed.

I liked Allen in the position, he looked good, however I think it was the game more than Lucas which allowed Allen to be good. I've said a couple of times before that I think Allen's biggest weakness is getting caught on the ball, and being targeted and harassed with the ball. He's getting subjected to that a lot more here than he ever did at Swansea, and I think he's struggling to adapt to that. Last night we had a license to play as for most of the game Zenit sat back and played tight, however there were still a few times in the game where someone knicked the ball of him from behind. I think he had can work on that aspect of the game, his form will improve again.

Wow, I saw it completely different to most here about Allen.
Well done for the goal, I was ecstatic and all, but apart from that I was often left very very frustrated when he'd get the ball in an advanced position only to have absolutely no imagination, clueless, frankly.
I'm not his fan and but for the goal I'd have been well pissed off with him. Henderson offers more when advanced, Lucas offers more in the defensive and positional department, and Gerrard is in a totally different league.

What was he really excelling at last night, for those that thought he was boss?

I agree JM but I'm not allowed to say as I'm not a fan.

He was the weakest of the lot IMO but don't get me wrong, he wasn't poor. Lucas was outstanding. And I'm not a fan really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom