• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sooo, The Rest Of The Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it right from the beginning when I said Stewart won't make it to the first team l, but most commended him and said I was on drugs or something.

I stick by what i said. I've seen a few Plessises and Martin Kellys and that's as good as it gets. I've not seen anyone close to make you say oooo there's a fowler or mcmanaman or Gerrard or make you rave on with excitement.

The closest so far was maybe Sergi Canos but he like many others have been largely inconsistent and immature. I really hope he makes it though cos I like him.

I said it right from the beginning when I said Stewart won't make it to the first team l, but most commended him and said I was on drugs or something.

I stick by what i said. I've seen a few Plessises and Martin Kellys and that's as good as it gets. I've not seen anyone close to make you say oooo there's a fowler or mcmanaman or Gerrard or make you rave on with excitement.

The closest so far was maybe Sergi Canos but he like many others have been largely inconsistent and immature. I really hope he makes it though cos I like him.

Yeah, who exactly has "slipped through the net"? Fucking Plessis. He was offensively shit. Darren Potter. Adam Morgan. Amoo. Agoo. Agadoodoo.

There's nothing there. I hope this current crop are better than that lot - I know they are - but there's nothing to get excited about

Perhaps Daniel Ayala could be one, as he's one of the best CBs in the Championship right now.

Yeah, who exactly has "slipped through the net"? Fucking Plessis. He was offensively shit. Darren Potter. Adam Morgan. Amoo. Agoo. Agadoodoo.

There's nothing there. I hope this current crop are better than that lot - I know they are - but there's nothing to get excited about

Perhaps Daniel Ayala could be one, as he's one of the best CBs in the Championship right now.

San Jose has playing regularly for Bilbao for a good few seasons now. Barragan has ended up at Valencia.

I don't think we've let any superstars go at the 16-21 stage. We probably could've nurtured a couple better and saved ourselves some money on shit senior squaddies though.

There will always be the criticism that comes when players don't live up to others that we have had. Or others who are at a higher level.

It's understandable. I recall loads of divvies quacking on about how we should be happy to sell Sterling for £49m, because Ibe was as good, or even possibly better. Which was retarded, obviously, because Sterling is, was and always will be, miles better than Ibe.

And when we see a promising midfield player like Brannagan, Stewart, Coady - or whoever - the opinion is split between "new Gerrard" and "At the same age Gerrard was already world class", which is a bit harsh, because Gerrard was a phenomenon, and nobody we have now, or will have, is likely to come anywhere near his quality; quality that was obvious as soon as he played.

But all that said, it's a fair enough concern to voice when a player is 22 or 23 and is only just hovering around the first team. If they were genuinely good enough, they would be in it. And the majority probably aren't. Yeah, there's always a late developer, or someone who takes a chance offered that is lucky or due to injury and circumstance, and they prove their quality and value (Harry Kane).

But let's face it, we don't have any Gerrard/ Fowler/ McManaman/ Owen/ Carragher quality in this group. What we have, at best, is a player who may well be good enough to replace Lucas at DM (Stewart) - faintest praise ever - maybe a more reliable LB than Moreno (Smith, although flanno is better), possibly a better winger than Ibe (Ojo), and arguably a similar quality player to Lallana (Texeira).

Let's not start sucking each other's cocks just yet. They aren't anything that special.

True, we have nothing anywhere near the level of a Gerrard or Fowler coming through. And it'll probably be a long time before we do as either they seem to be really hard to find and nurture, or our youth system, from scouts to coaches, just ain't that great.
Possibly the latter, as bar what we had with Sterling, there's a gulf between the 'kids' and the standard we need.

Ibe has bags of strength and pace, and can beat a man with ease, but if he's not bright enough, it'll never happen. It's Something that's being levelled at Benteke, and it may turn out be a fair point. 'Footballing brains' aren't easy to come by.

But all that said, it's a fair enough concern to voice when a player is 22 or 23 and is only just hovering around the first team. If they were genuinely good enough, they would be in it.
Ibe has only just turned 20. I have to admit this season he seems to have stalled though but hopefully Klopp can work some magic on him because Ibe has all the raw talent - however unfortunately I'm beginning to think he doesn't have the brain to match his brawn.

Not entirely true. I doubt it's lack of brains really.

The problem is us. We've always had this longgg conveyor belt history of turning raw, young talent into stunted shite.

I did say "obviously, I'd sooner we went on and won it". And yes, I know there is a Champions League spot up for grabs. Klopp has complained a few times about lack of time for training, this team would benefit from one game a week ahead of next season.

And again, obviously, I'd sooner we went on and won it.

He'll have all pre-season to get us sorted, and ship out the wastrels and get in his own players. We've got to fight every game of THIS season. Sadly we have the biggest bunch of pathetic cunts in living memory as our team right now. Hopefully that will change.

But all that said, it's a fair enough concern to voice when a player is 22 or 23 and is only just hovering around the first team. If they were genuinely good enough, they would be in it. And the majority probably aren't. Yeah, there's always a late developer, or someone who takes a chance offered that is lucky or due to injury and circumstance, and they prove their quality and value (Harry Kane).

There are now a number of players making their breakthrough in the 22-24 year age group. Mason and a couple more of the Spurs young brigade are over 23. Lingard at the Mancs is 23 and he is having his breakthrough year. Of course none of them are in the Gerrard/Owen/Fowler talent bracket.

Maybe it is just a random one time freak occurrence. Other possibility is that given the money in the premier league and tendency to attempt to buy the finished product rather than persist with the youth means that more players will make a breakthrough later than earlier.

Agree with the rest of your post.

San Jose has playing regularly for Bilbao for a good few seasons now. Barragan has ended up at Valencia.

I don't think we've let any superstars go at the 16-21 stage. We probably could've nurtured a couple better and saved ourselves some money on shit senior squaddies though.

Dont forget the La-Liga and Copa del Rey winner, Champions League runner up - Emilliano Insua.

I have no clue how much he played for Simeone. I assume very little.

He'll have all pre-season to get us sorted, and ship out the wastrels and get in his own players. We've got to fight every game of THIS season. Sadly we have the biggest bunch of pathetic cunts in living memory as our team right now. Hopefully that will change.

I agree that we've got to fight for every game, but they've already shown that they can't. Don't get me wrong, another cup run and a decent finish in the league would make me very happy, but the team is too inconsistent for that.

Euro 2016 and some attempt at a money-spinning tour from the club might curtail any designs on a full preseason.

Try this, I know what you would like and I know that you expect the team to put in a proper fight as a minimum (as other fans do). But what do you honestly expect to happen over the rest of the season? Where do you realistic see the club finishing; in the league, in the EL and in the League Cup final? Bearing in mind that you've already intimated that you don't think they have the fight.

hate to piss on the parade....

But if you think Sturridge and Coutinho will want to stay for no CL yet another season then youre wishing.....

Bigger clubs will come in for them....

In the meantime we are basically now a bloody mid table side....

hate to piss on the parade....

But if you think Sturridge and Coutinho will want to stay for no CL yet another season then youre wishing.....

Bigger clubs will come in for them....

In the meantime we are basically now a bloody mid table side....

Hear what you are saying, but I don't think it is as cut and dried as that. They now have a genuine, title winning manager. They may just stay on another year to see what Klopp can do with his own squad.

The problem with burning Lucas is that it's not strictly legal. Although I could be wrong, perhaps @dantes can advise us better.

Also, if he is a witch, I'm not sure burning will work.

If you make it look like an accident, for which Lucas is partially to blame, then you're covered by the contributory negligence defence.

Hear what you are saying, but I don't think it is as cut and dried as that. They now have a genuine, title winning manager. They may just stay on another year to see what Klopp can do with his own squad.

Agreed. Klopp is a big, positive factor in both retention and also attracting new players. He will hopefully shift out Allen, Lucas, Sakho, Mignolet and a few others.

Although his idiotic decision to give Mignolet a new, improved contract doesn't bode well

It'd be a bit rich if Sturridge decided to go at this stage, because he's been injured for fucking ever, which hasn't helps ours or his cause.

It'd be a bit rich if Sturridge decided to go at this stage, because he's been injured for fucking ever, which hasn't helps ours or his cause.

If ...very big if....Sturridge did go, and it wasn't to a better, bigger, richer club, but instead he ended up at fucking West Ham, then you'd have to assume it was because he was annoyed at the club and Klopp for all the perceived slights and comments about his injuries.

I think most players would be well excited about playing in a Klopp team, and he'd get a very deserved benefit of the doubt, regardless of how shit our league performances have been

Ibe like many others are not good enough. He really is not a good player.

His decision making is so poor, it is unfortunate.

Getting back to the main topic, - there is no chance of getting 4th. However for this reason - the main focus for us should be nothing short of winning the Europa Cup - it is our only way into the CL, and we would be stupid not to take it. The league is dead this season - our inconsistencies and injuries have cost us.

Dont forget the La-Liga and Copa del Rey winner, Champions League runner up - Emilliano Insua.

I have no clue how much he played for Simeone. I assume very little.

Yeah, from what I recall he was a bit part player.

Sterling?

We should look at the young players as squad player who can come and do a job rather us going out and wasting more money on squad fillers.

If we are so f-king useless that we lose all our "must-win" games, what are the chances of us winning the EL?? No higher than getting fourth imo.

Liverpool FC coach: How Klopp has got the best out of Brad Smith in a 'breakout year' for the Academy

• 16:58, 10 FEB 2016
  • UPDATED 16:58, 10 FEB 2016
  • BY JAMES PEARCE

kloppsmith.jpg

Brad Smith and Jurgen Klopp look dejected in defeat after the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round Replay match between West Ham United and Liverpool at Boleyn Ground on February 9, 2016 in London, England. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Brad Smith has flourished as a result of the faith shown in him by Jurgen Klopp, according to Liverpool Under-21s coach Michael Beale.

The 21-year-old defender further enhanced his growing reputation with an eye-catching performance in Tuesday night’s agonising FA Cup defeat to West Ham.

His rampaging runs down the left caused the Hammers plenty of problems as the Australia international delivered a succession of quality deliveries into the box.

Smith’s claims to be regarded as the Reds’ No 1 left-back are strengthening with Alberto Moreno’s form having been so patchy.

It was Smith’s seventh appearance under Klopp since the youngster re-signed for the club in November following the end of a lengthy contract dispute.

Beale has been delighted by the manner in which Smith has grasped his opportunities to shine.

JS81520536.jpg

Liverpool FC v West Ham in the FA Cup. Brad Smith on the attack.

“Brad has been fantastic,” Beale told the ECHO.

“His crossing has had a huge impact, as well as his speed and aggression.

“Training at Melwood every day has certainly helped him. He knows he has the backing of the manager.

“One big thing Jurgen did was that he took four or five youngsters to Melwood and kept them there. They have grown as a result.

“We’re doing our best ‘Jurgen impression’ at the Academy in terms of what he wants here. But there’s nothing better than hearing it from the manager himself.

“Training alongside more experienced players certainly helps too. Tactical understanding comes from playing with older, more experienced players. Lucas can put a player in a position where they don’t need to run so much.
“If you are going to improve your one v one defending, it’s great to go up against Ryan Kent but it’s another step up to face Philippe Coutinho.

“It’s always been Brad’s dream to play for Liverpool and now he’s living that.”

Signing new contract with Reds proves smart move

Smith’s Liverpool career appeared to be over at the end of last season when his contract expired after he rejected the offer of a new deal.

However, the Reds retained his registration in the knowledge they would be entitled to compensation because he was under 24. He had trials at Barnsley and Rosenborg but clubs were put off by the prospect of a tribunal deciding the fee.

In November, Smith returned to Liverpool and signed the contract which was still on the table. It proved to be a smart move. Just a fortnight later he came off the bench in the 6-1 rout of Southampton and has impressed Klopp ever since.

“Last year was a difficult year for Brad,” Beale said.

“He didn’t know where his future lay. We helped him during the off-season with his pre-season programme and the staff stayed in contact with him.

JS77102681-1.jpg

Liverpool U21 coach Michael Beale during the game v Benfica B in the International Cup at the Lookers Vauxhall Stadium on November 20, 2015 in Chester, England. (Photo by Nick Taylor/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

“We were encouraging him to come back and saying: ‘We think you’ll get in and around the first team’.

“When Jurgen was first appointed, we had a discussion with the staff at Melwood about Brad. We showed him the profile of Brad and that sped things up.

“Brad came back of his own accord in the end. He’s our boy and no-one holds anything against him.

“He’s young and these youngsters have a lot of people around them with a vested interest, It wasn’t that he didn’t want to play for Liverpool.

“As staff we just want to see young lads going on to realise their dreams. I’m really pleased he came back and he’s showing his level now.”

JS74175538.jpg

New Liverpool Manager Jurgen Klopp (2nd left) with Academy Director Alex Inglethorpe, U21 coach Michael Beale and First-Team Development Coach Pepijn Lijnders during the Liverpool v Stoke City U18 Premier League game at the Liverpool FC Academy on October 10, 2015 in Kirkby, England. (Photo by Nick Taylor/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

It was another proud night for the staff at Kirkby with Academy graduates Jon Flanagan, Brad Smith, Pedro Chirivella, Kevin Stewart, Jordon Ibe and Joao Carlos Teixeira all involved at Upton Park.

There has also been game time for youngsters Cameron Brannagan, Connor Randall, Sheyi Ojo, Ryan Kent, Joe Maguire and Jerome Sinclair since the turn of the year.

Breakout year for the Academy

“The Academy is a really positive place to come and work,” Beale added.

“It’s a breakout year. I said to the players when we broke for Christmas: ‘This will be the strongest under-21 group ever or it will be deemed the weakest. It all depends on how well you do when the manager gives you a chance’.

“It’s been exciting. We’ve had a number of players feature not just once but three or four times.

“As an Academy coach it was nice to go through the January transfer window without three or four big names coming in because you know that leaves spaces open for a Cameron, a Kevin, a Connor or a Brad to continue their journeys.

JS81515127.jpg

Cameron Brannagan of Liverpool is tackled by Nikica Jelavic of West Ham United during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Liverpool and West Ham United at Anfield on January 30, 2016 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

“Jurgen is used to competing in the last four of the Champions League so the standards he’s expecting in a young player are really high.

“He used them maybe a bit by circumstance with all the injuries ahead of the Exeter game but I think he’s been pleasantly surprised.

“The pathway here to the first team is real and that creates a real buzz around the place. We’re a club that has produced players down the years and the people demand it.

“The exposure for our young players here is much greater than at the London clubs in terms of interest and people actually knowing young players. People know who Ben Woodburn is. He’s still an under-16 but people are excited about his journey.

“We’re trying to make a pathway for our young players here and we’re fortunate that the manager has really bought into that.”

I would agree with that. The thing that frustrates me about Ibe at the moment is that he doesn't seem to be playing like a young lad eager to take his chance. You can see the urgency and desire to impress from players like Kent, Ojo, Smith and Teixeira when they have come in recently. He's got talent, he isn't applying it as well as he could though.

In one of the Exeter ties, Ibe was head and shoulder the best player on the pitch.

In one of the Exeter ties, Ibe was head and shoulder the best player on the pitch.

For a player who was/is often held up as having more ability/potential than Sterling by fans, you'd expect him to do well against Exeter. He also did well against Stoke when he came on for Coutinho, he was solid and scored the winning goal.

The point is though, he should be making more of his talents. I don't buy into the Sterling comparisons, but I do buy that Ibe has more talent than he is currently showing.

For a player who was/is often held up as having more ability/potential than Sterling by fans, you'd expect him to do well against Exeter. He also did well against Stoke when he came on for Coutinho, he was solid and scored the winning goal.

Benteke looked like he was playing against children against Exeter trying dribbling tricks and everything. I don't think that game teaches us anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom