• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pre Match Southampton (H) - FA Cup - Wed 20:00

OK this was the chance that fell to Charles ... the header was from a Saints player. Clearly offside so even if netted VAR would have ruled it out.

Screenshot-2024-02-29-at-17-16-12.png

Would be a lot better if we could see from the point of contact the header was made but I take your word for it.

Dunno who the Saints guy sandwiched between Bradley and Danns is but he kinda looks like he's got Bradley is a headlock.

Last edited:
OK this was the chance that fell to Charles ... the header was from a Saints player. Clearly offside so even if netted VAR would have ruled it out.

Screenshot-2024-02-29-at-17-16-12.png

It would have been looked at, from one angle it looked like it came off the Southampton player, another it looked like it came off Bradley. VAR would have had fun with that, but knowing them, they'd have probably been eating dominos and missed it all.

Would be a lot better if we could see from the point of contact on the header was made but I take your word for it.

Dunno who the Saints guy sandwiched between Bradley and Danns is but he kinda looks like he's got Bradley is a headlock.
Is that the guy who looked like Curtis Jones' stunt double?

Re: Gakpo

League games / goals / assists: 45 / 12 / 5
Total games / goals / assists: 63 / 18 / 6

Not bad in my opinion considering he's had multiple roles and has only been playing for us for just over a year. He was shite against Soton but his mates bailed him out which is kind of like the point of a team.

Not bad in my opinion considering he's had multiple roles and has only been playing for us for just over a year. He was shite against Soton but his mates bailed him out which is kind of like the point of a team.

I haven't read the whole thread, and his stats are decent. But I'm sorry, he just hasn't passed the eye test consistently so far. Ponderous and cowardly and weak.

He might get better, and so far he's not costing us, but I don't think there's enough about him.

I haven't read the whole thread, and his stats are decent. But I'm sorry, he just hasn't passed the eye test consistently so far. Ponderous and cowardly and weak.

He might get better, and so far he's not costing us, but I don't think there's enough about him.
I'm leaning the same way. He's had a couple of shockers like last night but in general he's been ok; no more, no less.

Minutes played since 17 Feb 2024 to yesterday:

(vs. Brentford, Luton, Chelsea, Southampton)

429 Kelleher
384 VVD - 2 goals
339 Endo
335 Gakpo - 2 goals 1 assist
329 Diaz - 1 goal 1 assist
326 Elliot - 1 goal 1 assis
314 Gomez
306 Macca - 1 goal 2 assists
267 Konate
229 Robertson - 1 assist
135 Tsimikas - 1 assist

See? Gakpo is getting called shite and theres Diaz stealing a living

Gakpo has never been prolific, 1 in 3 even in PSV, 1 in 3 now. And he has been played in number of positions. He does come up with an important goal from time to time.

Gakpo has never been prolific, 1 in 3 even in PSV, 1 in 3 now. And he has been played in number of positions. He does come up with an important goal from time to time.
1 in 2 at PSV if you take his last 2 seasons (maybe a bit harsh to judge before that seeing how young he was and the minutes he was likely playing at the time) and he also got as many assists, that was playing from the left.

The numbers aren't the problem, don't think anyone has an issue with that.....fans just seem to focus on numbers all the time, his all round application is dismal.

I think Klopp is being as pragmatic as possible in this respect. He protected all of our starting midfielders yesterday starting 2 kids and Gomez in midfield. Konate and Virg had a half each. I don't know how much more he could have done in that game to say, I'm not going to risk my big dogs in this game.
In fairness his hand is being forced somewhat atm. I think the damage has been done already.

I’m just really disappointed with Gakpo’s shooting. He came to us as a supposed “elite striker of the ball”. And yet he snatches at and scuffs almost every shot he has. It seems to me like he’s trying to hard.

Diaz had something like two goals and three assists in the league in the 3 or so games before that very selective set of stats

Diaz had something like two goals and three assists in the league in the 3 or so games before that very selective set of stats

Yes, it is. My point of sharing the stats was to summarize the no. of mins the players played over the past 12 days (17 - 29 Feb) where there were 4 games played. Before that, there was a 7 days gap from the previous match (10 Feb).

Indeed...

I reckon he is getting a fair chunk of undeserved flack from people... Good player that Gakpo lad...

Yes, it is. My point of sharing the stats was to summarize the no. of mins the players played over the past 12 days (17 - 29 Feb) where there were 4 games played. Before that, there was a 7 days gap from the previous match (10 Feb).

Sure, i wasnt accusing you of anything just pointing out to those who would use the stats against Diaz that he contributed way more in the previous period.

Sure, i wasnt accusing you of anything just pointing out to those who would use the stats against Diaz that he contributed way more in the previous period.
Yeah, I get it. Which is why as much as I love reading stats, I use "'Statistics are like mini-skirts, they don't reveal everything.' - Fatih Terim" as my signature. (to avoid getting shot as a messenger too :ROFLMAO: )

Just thought it'll be good to clarify too cos the selected period may seem quite odd - not a weekly/monthly or year to date thingy.

Back
Top Bottom