• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sports mens impacts on their cities

SaintGeorge67

Well-Known
Someone's view in the pub...

Kenny basically has the run of Liverpool (bitters aside). Forget MP's, councilors and what not, if Kenny stood as an MP in Liverpool, he'd get in on a landslide, regardless of his rhetoric (within reason) based simply on the cities love of him.

It may be an exaggeration or it may not, but it got me thinking, who else is in this position?

I thought Mario Lemieux in Pittsburgh.

Are there others?

Interesting that both these examples aren't actually from the city they impacted.

I'm pissed, so sorry if a) my grammar's poor, b) if it's a shit topic.

Mario in Pittsburgh is definite.

Barry in Detroit?

Jordan in Chicago?

Magic in LA?

Bird in Boston?

Bird is a good shout.

Barry hasn't really embraced Detroit though. It was very much a job. once it was done, it was done. Whereas Kenny and Mario went way beyond their "careers".

Likeiwse Jordan... I don't know much about it all, but despite all the rings, does anyone really care about him?

LeBron in Cleveland, until the offseason just past.

Gretzky in Edmonton

Well, Manny Pacquiao was elected in a landslide in Sarangani, so presumably he has the run of the town in Alabel or some other godforsaken place.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=44072.msg1280213#msg1280213 date=1297020632]

Well, Manny Pacquiao was elected in a landslide in Sarangani, so presumably he has the run of the town in Alabel or some other godforsaken place.
[/quote]

Manny was the obvious example I was thinking of.

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=44072.msg1279091#msg1279091 date=1296943306]
Someone's view in the pub...

Kenny basically has the run of Liverpool (bitters aside). Forget MP's, councilors and what not, if Kenny stood as an MP in Liverpool, he'd get in on a landslide, regardless of his rhetoric (within reason) based simply on the cities love of him.

It may be an exaggeration or it may not, but it got me thinking, who else is in this position?

I thought Mario Lemieux in Pittsburgh.

Are there others?

Interesting that both these examples aren't actually from the city they impacted.

I'm pissed, so sorry if a) my grammar's poor, b) if it's a shit topic.
[/quote]

Would get voted in an election? None based on their sporting abilities. They would have to have a genuine political view. They would have the edge over other but they still need to have conviction over their beliefs.

Guys...the landslide winner on this is going to be Sachin Tendulkar. There have been riots in Mumbai (most of India actually), against the match referee who controversially accused him of ball tampering a few years back.

One billion people worship him. It's true.

Schumacher in Germany is pretty wldly popular. But i'm not sure if he is popular in any particular City.

For those outside of the UK, Kingjulians is a good example. When it gets down to brass tacks, Sport is still secondary in the UK to plenty of other things. Here in Aus, Sport is much more primetime than it is UK and Sports events and Sports personalities feature much higher up the News than they do UK. Think US but smaller scale.
When something happens big in the Aussie Rules or Rugby League, its headline on the News, never mind the Sport section (I mean Sports related, not shagging). Its not in the UK. Assume its same in the US.

[quote author=LarryHagman link=topic=44072.msg1282578#msg1282578 date=1297265768]

For those outside of the UK, Kingjulians is a good example. When it gets down to brass tacks, Sport is still secondary in the UK to plenty of other things. Here in Aus, Sport is much more primetime than it is UK and Sports events and Sports personalities feature much higher up the News than they do UK. Think US but smaller scale.
When something happens big in the Aussie Rules or Rugby League, its headline on the News, never mind the Sport section (I mean Sports related, not shagging). Its not in the UK. Assume its same in the US.

[/quote]

Thats very debatable IMO.

Im pretty sure when we won the CL it was headline on the news in UK. It was even here in switzerland.

When one of our athletes wins a tennis grand slam, famous ski downhill or another major event, its on the first page and headline on the news. Im certain its the same in UK

[quote author=Avvy link=topic=44072.msg1283091#msg1283091 date=1297352355]
I'm pretty sure Federer's victories are celebrated more in Switzerland than elsewhere,Lech.
[/quote]

Hmm yeah obviously...
I dont know any high profile Malaysian athletes but i think its the same over there.
As it is in the UK.
Our Oz friend is underestimating sport's impact in Europe and UK in particular

Every time I read one of your posts, Mr Jackal, I am reminded of the following song lyrics:

Et soudain surgit face au vent
Le vrai héros de tous les temps
Bob Morane contre tout chacal
L'aventurier contre tout guerrier

Off topic I know. Sorry.

He's from San Lazzaro di Savena which is a satellite of Bologna, a bit like Versoix is to Geneva.

Yes, he's from Bologna.

I can't see him being elected come what may.

Living Bolognese sporting legends are far and few between.

However, if Valentino Rossi does his stuff with Ducati, who knows?

[quote author=Bologna link=topic=44072.msg1283209#msg1283209 date=1297368586]
He's from San Lazzaro di Savena which is a satellite of Bologna, a bit like Versoix is to Geneva.

Yes, he's from Bologna.

I can't see him being elected come what may.

Living Bolognese sporting legends are far and few between.

However, if Valentino Rossi does his stuff with Ducati, who knows?

[/quote]
Wa thinking about Rossi but wasnt too sure if he was from Bologna the city.

At his peak, Tomba was a sporting legend not only in his region but in the whole country. I remember they interrupted a parliament session when he was racing for a gold medal in the Olympics

Back
Top Bottom