• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Stand Up For The Ulster Men!

Just a shaft of light in the darkness here - the sister apparently survived, though I wouldn't care to speculate on the mental and emotional burden she'll be carrying.

Nevin Spence and family RIP.

251697_472075106147497_1844487069_n.jpg

Irish Deputy Prime Minister Eamon Gilmore has visited Ravenhill Rugby ground in Belfast to pay his respects on behalf of the Dublin government following the tragic farm accident which claimed the lives young rugby star Nevin Spence, his father Noel and brother Graham.
Nevin's sister Emma, who survived the accident, has been released from hospital.
Emma, was being treated in Belfast's Royal Victoria Hospital for the effects of inhaling fumes following the weekend slurry tank tragedy.
Spence family tragedy - Book of Condolences
Her two brothers and father were overcome by gas after falling into the tank at their farm on the Drumlough Road in Hillsborough, Co Down, at around 6pm on Saturday night.
The talented 22-year-old rugby player died along with his 30-year-old brother, Graham, who was married with two children, and their 52-year-old father, Noel.
Ms Spence, a well-known artist, was discharged from hospital last night as relatives revealed that the three men died trying to save each other.
Earlier, fans and friends of Nevin Spence signed a book of condolences and left tributes at the ever-growing wall of flowers and shirts at one end of the ground.
Mr Gilmore described the accident as a "deep, deep tragedy".
Mr Gilmore, who is from a farming background, said the whole island had been rocked by what had happened.
"This was a huge tragedy for the family," he said.
"I want to express my condolences to Mrs Spence, to the family, the two daughters.
"I grew up on a farm, I understand how something like this could happen. I can picture how it could happen.
"It's a deep tragedy, it's a great loss and I think that everybody on this island of Ireland will express their sympathy with the Spence family."
He added: "It's rocked the island as a whole because it's just so deep, it's so many members of the one family - a tragedy that occurred in a very simple way.
"It's just a huge, huge loss for this family, for their local community, for their friends, for their neighbours and, of course, it's a loss also to sport, to Ulster sport in particular, and Ulster Rugby in particular, but above all this is a human personal family tragedy, and I think every family on this island and further afield has sympathy for the Spence family for what happened and our thoughts are with them today."
Spence was considered one of the up-and-coming stars of the Ulster scene and was tipped as a future Ireland star.
Brian O'Driscoll took to Twitter to post his condolences, writing: "Devastating news about Nevin Spence, his dad & brother. What a wonderful talent he was. Thoughts & prayers go out to his family & friends."
One of Ulster's most famous former players David Humphreys, now the club's director of professional rugby, said he was overwhelmed by the loss of a man he had watched rise through the ranks.
"You just need to listen to some of the conversations with our players over the last 24 hours," he said.
"All of us are struggling to come to terms with what has happened.
"On days when nobody else wanted to come in and train, he was there leading from the front.
"All he wanted to do for the remainder of his career was to stay here, win trophies and be successful for Ulster."
Shane Logan, chief executive of Ulster Rugby, added: "(He was) a man who was killed in his prime aged 22 with an immense future in front of him and we know that because in his 22 years he was a model professional and a model individual.
"A man of absolute integrity, complete determination, great humility, a fine team player and an all-round exceptional individual."
The Irish Rugby Football Union also registered their shock at the news, with president Billy Glynn reflecting on a "terrible tragedy".
"Nevin was an outstanding young player which was evident from his progression through the representative ranks and the game has been robbed of a very talented young man," said Glynn.
"This is a terrible tragedy that has struck the Spence family and the thoughts of everybody in Irish Rugby are with them at this time.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/spence-anguish-tributes-flood-in-for-nevin-graham-and-noel-after-slurry-tank-tragedy-16211997.html#ixzz26kAXYFtF

There's been quite a few slurry tank deaths hasn't there? Surely they need some form of escape system ? I was reading the other day that someone died in 18in of slurry - is it the fumes that kill people ?

This is such a sad story. Forgive my ignorance but like a lot of townies I have no idea what the deal is with slurry pits and how people die in them so it'd be nice if someone could explain.

This is such a sad story. Forgive my ignorance but like a lot of townies I have no idea what the deal is with slurry pits and how people die in them so it'd be nice if someone could explain.
It's basically a circular storage hole for animal waste and farming matter.
It's mixed with some other substances and turned into fertilizer for the land.
The hydrogen sulphide and ammonia are the danger gases inside the slurry mixture which basically give a person very little chance to survive once trapped inside the pit,

A friends dad is a farmer and their slurry pit is sunk into the ground & has a shallow end. Like some sort of disgusting swimming pool. One of the cows managed to walk into it and they had to pull it out with a tractor.

It does sound logical but there must be some reason why they don't cover the pits up.
It must have something to do with the gases.

Yea, but a net would allow liquids and gases to pass through but stop people from falling in. It could even be a retractable net. I'm sure there's a good explanation but I don't know what it is.

Good win tonight, especially as the ref was playing for Leinster.

Back
Top Bottom