• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Steady Sterling and envelopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
Rodgers memorably clashed with a teenage Raheem Sterling at training during pre-season, while he would find himself ridiculed by outsiders after his use of an envelopes mind-trick on the show. Lifting the lid on both incidents, it was Jones who offered the young winger some words of wisdom after he had been threatened with being sent home. And revealing the mind-trick was perhaps even less successful than viewers at the time might have thought, he was not surprised to see things not run smoothly.

“What you saw on the show was what you got,” he told the ECHO in an exclusive interview. “There were little bits off camera. I remember the thing with Raheem.

“It’s funny, I was just behind him and I think Brendan was testing him. He’d done it to a few people. Give them a little prod just to see how people react. Raheem was a kid at the time and a lot was on his shoulders for what people expected.

“I just remember that moment happening and I grabbed Raheem literally just after he said it and I said to him, 'He’s testing you. Don’t bite back. Just show him, you don’t have to do anything else.' He was such a good kid.

“It’s been said about the way the press dealt with him but he was a really good kid. He did exactly that. Got his head down, kept working and all of a sudden he was a massive player for the team. An important player and has gone on to have not too bad a career.

“The thing with the envelopes was a funny one. I think it was Glen Johnson who said he’d actually seen it before, I think it was Mourinho who had done it. When he did it, as we were sitting and he was talking, he put the envelopes up and you could actually see straight through them, just the way that the light caught them. I just remember sitting there thinking, ‘I don’t think there’s anything in those envelopes!’

“But for me Brendan was and is a very good coach. You can see what he’s doing with Leicester. Coaches always try things here and there to grab people’s attention or give them a little push. When they’re being filmed, it doesn’t always go so smoothly.”

Sauce: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spo...pool-brendan-rodgers-raheem-sterling-23719026
----------------

I cringed when I read this. Fucking embarrassing.

I was kinda enjoying the read until he got to the bit about Skrtel and Stu Downing being amazing players, that’s when I skipped everything next and couldn’t be arsed no more.

I don't know the details of the Sterling incident. What happened? Was it just Rodgers suddenly turning on him for a joke/comment he made? What was the back story behind that?

I don't know the details of the Sterling incident. What happened? Was it just Rodgers suddenly turning on him for a joke/comment he made? What was the back story behind that?
Ego...

I was kinda enjoying the read until he got to the bit about Skrtel and Stu Downing being amazing players, that’s when I skipped everything next and couldn’t be arsed no more.

To be fair, to Brad Jones, every player he met is likely to have seemed amazing compared to him.

Rodgers is like a bird you were with and really liked, but after the breakup you look at her and wonder what on earth you saw in her.

Watched it again (and again) and I still don't know what Sterling did wrong! Poor boy must still be wondering about that to this day.

Rodgers seemed to be alleging that he had criticised Sterling earlier for something and Sterling had replied "Steady", as if to say the criticism had been OTT. If that is what happened, IMO Rodgers had a point.

Rodgers was trying to stamp his authority on the team at the time, particularly on the young players and probably even more particularly on Sterling, who was already tipped for the top and was almost certainly acting like it.

The TV cameras almost certainly meant that Rodgers played it up more than perhaps he would have done but whether Sterling did or didn't say 'steady' at that point, he probably did need putting in his place.

Well no, not really. He's a Flash Harry but he hadn't long been at the club, plus Sterling had a history of @rsey behaviour which had led to his placement in a special school for youngsters with that kind of problem before football gave him a future.

That’s a hell of a stretch— had actually been a problem at Liverpool?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom