• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sterling has rejected a second contract offer from Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Well-Known
The forward, who has been linked with Real Madrid and has two years left on his current deal, wants more than £100,000-a-week.

The England forward has rejected a second offer from the Reds to extend a deal that still has more than two years to run.

And that is a major embarrassment for the club after they promised to have Sterling’s future signed and sealed by the end of January to ease the pain of losing Steven Gerrard to the MLS.

Sterling rejected Liverpool’s opening offer last month after describing their bid to double his wages to £70,000 a week as unacceptable.

Their latest, improved offer has met with the same answer. It seems that Liverpool must now break through the £100,00-a-week barrier if they want to keep the 20-year-old happy.

Liverpool continue to insist that Sterling will not be leaving the club even if the contract impasse continues. And there is no suggestion from the player’s camp that the former QPR tyro wants to leave Anfield. But Brendan Rodgers’ claim that he is close to agreeing terms now seems like misplaced optimism.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...em-sterlings-contract-talks-liverpool-5037240

Hes not >£100k player yet, but hes in a strong position, so he'll probably get what he wants.

Sterling's beginning to get on my tits.

He's obviously forgotten who have helped him to get to where he is today.

So he's to accept a much lower pay packet because of that ? How about if it was you at work, grateful for the job the company gave you so even though you proved to be their star performer (after attending all the training courses they sent you on) and saved their bollocks on numerous occasions, bringing home the cash for them, you are now going to accept a much lower salary than you deserve, even less than Fred Bloggs who also works at the same company but isn't as good as you and is older with less potential ?

FFS pay him. Show him the love as we should have done from the outset instead of being skinflints.

So he's to accept a much lower pay packet because of that ? How about if it was you at work, grateful for the job the company gave you so even though you proved to be their star performer (after attending all the training courses they sent you on) and saved their bollocks on numerous occasions, bringing home the cash for them, you are now going to accept a much lower salary than you deserve, even less than Fred Bloggs who also works at the same company but isn't as good as you and is older with less potential ?

FFS pay him. Show him the love as we should have done from the outset instead of being skinflints.

When I left the first company that shaped me to be who I am, I thought that would cripple them cos I thought I was valuable to their business but almost immediately they replaced me with some freshie and he's now doing a far better job than me.

And normally most companies would bond you up after spending lots of training money on you. It's basic ROI.

Everyone has a ceiling in terms of worth and I don't think Sterling has done enough to warrant a >100K wage. He couldn't even score the brace I was betting on, against Bolton !! Git.

His output this season has not been worth 100k per week, but if the club wants to have him on a 5 year deal, he's probably worth that, provided he develops.

But all this is agent talk anyway.

Rodgers has demonstrated that Sterling is hugely important to him this season. Sterling's agents are doing their jobs.

His output this season has not been worth 100k per week, but if the club wants to have him on a 5 year deal, he's probably worth that, provided he develops.

But all this is agent talk anyway.

Sterling is one of the best players, never mind best prospects, in the EPL. He'd walk into any team, even Chelsea's / Man City's. So let's look at some quick comparisons and then decide if he is worth £100k plus or not (these from the past 2 years):

Ozil £180k
Rosicky £80k at 33 yrs old.
Podolski £135k (2012)
Glen Johnson £100k
Kolo Toure £75k @ 32yrs old
Sakho £100k

Also over £100k : Willian, Lampard, Ashley Young, Kagawa, Nani (just under), Valencia (just under), Nasri, Dzecko, Kolarov, Clichy, Fernandinho, Demichelis, Nastasic, Jovetic, Barry (whilst on loan) etc. etc. I've only been through the salaries of the Top 5 EPL clubs (exc. Spurs etc.).

Let's not even start on the high earners at United with 4 @ £200-300k, Chelsea with 3 @ £185k plus or City with 3 @ £200k plus.

Basically if we are going to keep and attract excellent players then under £100k no longer cuts it in the EPL. Where do you rate Sterling ? Is he not an excellent/top EPL player ? In another 2 years time will he not be worth millions more than he is now (assuming steady improvement) ? Speculate to accumulate and that's assuming we can't keep hold of him .. in which case, if we do, he's worth even more to us.

Sources: Sportsrichlist & Sportsalary.

Sterling is one of the best players, never mind best prospects, in the EPL. He'd walk into any team, even Chelsea's / Man City's.

Hmm. Not sure he'd walk into an attack containing Silva, Nasri, Navas, Toure, Aguero and Dzeko. Likewise Costa, Fabregas, Hazard, Oscar and Willian.
4 goals and an assist in the league is not worth 100k per week. Again, I'd say it's about investing on the potential of his development.

Sterling is one of the best players, never mind best prospects, in the EPL. He'd walk into any team, even Chelsea's / Man City's. So let's look at some quick comparisons and then decide if he is worth £100k plus or not (these from the past 2 years):

Absolute rubbish!

Ozil £180k
Rosicky £80k at 33 yrs old.
Podolski £135k (2012)
Glen Johnson £100k
Kolo Toure £75k @ 32yrs old
Sakho £100k

Also over £100k : Willian, Lampard, Ashley Young, Kagawa, Nani (just under), Valencia (just under), Nasri, Dzecko, Kolarov, Clichy, Fernandinho, Demichelis, Nastasic, Jovetic, Barry (whilst on loan) etc. etc. I've only been through the salaries of the Top 5 EPL clubs (exc. Spurs etc.).

Let's not even start on the high earners at United with 4 @ £200-300k, Chelsea with 3 @ £185k plus or City with 3 @ £200k plus.

Basically if we are going to keep and attract excellent players then under £100k no longer cuts it in the EPL. Where do you rate Sterling ? Is he not an excellent/top EPL player ? In another 2 years time will he not be worth millions more than he is now (assuming steady improvement) ? Speculate to accumulate and that's assuming we can't keep hold of him .. in which case, if we do, he's worth even more to us.

Sources: Sportsrichlist & Sportsalary.

In theory yes we should speculate to accumulate - but with FFP rules our wage budget is tied to our income, which is below the 2 Manchester teams, Arsenal & Chelsea.

There are high earning players that need to be shifted in order to pay Sterling more.

Couldn't believe the dogs abuse some shithouse fella behind me was giving Sterling yesterday.

Just give him what he wants per week, just make sure we tie him up for a long long time, not that contracts are worth the paper theyre written on these days at least Iit protects his value. Alternatively make a healthy goal bonus part of the package...that'll improve his finding of the net consistently. On another note its a pity that its gone this way....last season rodgers was banging on about money in the game ruining young players at an early age. Its obvious he wants to protect raheem and make him a better player. Agents are just money hungry leaky vultures.

Much lower than what, Froggy? Sterling's barely out of footballing nappies and already he's on £70k a week. I'm afraid I don't share your confidence that he'd walk into the Chelsea or Citeh sides (not to mention if he went abroad) and, if he didn't, it could damage his career more than just a bit, whereas if he stays at LFC he's a guaranteed starter and part of a side which is going places. I don't think he and his agents hold all the cards here.

Much lower than what, Froggy? Sterling's barely out of footballing nappies and already he's on £70k a week. I'm afraid I don't share your confidence that he'd walk into the Chelsea or Citeh sides (not to mention if he went abroad) and, if he didn't, it could damage his career more than just a bit, whereas if he stays at LFC he's a guaranteed starter and part of a side which is going places. I don't think he and his agents hold all the cards here.

In principle I agree with you but Mourinho would pay it just to fuck us over. We must pay him what he is worth as long as we include a 150m buy out clause.

His agents are doing their jobs.

If the club are that fucking stupid that they promise the fans we'll have him signed by end of January before actually signing him then they know they can take the piss.

The club have basically done the equivalent of walking into a car showroom with your wife & telling her in front of the salesman that you'll buy her that car no matter what.

It's beyond stupid from a negotiation standpoint.

His agents are doing their jobs.

If the club are that fucking stupid that they promise the fans we'll have him signed by end of January before actually signing him then they know they can take the piss.

The club have basically done the equivalent of walking into a car showroom with your wife & telling her in front of the salesman that you'll buy her that car no matter what.

It's beyond stupid from a negotiation standpoint.

The problem is what's new, the club has been run like this for the last fifteen years or more. Every financial transaction seems to hurt us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom