• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

studge moaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
29 AUGUST 2016 • 10:39AM
The presence of an extremely talented individual player often seems to be a cause of pain as much as serenity for managers.

When there is a gulf in class between a footballer and his team-mates, there is an inevitable potential for tension.

Every individual match-winning performance becomes the focus of attention; press conferences become single issue events lavishing praise on the player; injuries are perceived as catastrophic and recoveries a source of salvation.

If those around the particular player aren’t contributing so much, transfer hype shadows him: “How long can he put up with the mediocrity around him?”

And if the player is fit and for some reason not selected, there is an incandescence expressed on his behalf. The constant ‘me parties’ can be tedious.

Every manager seeks to create a team not only complementary to his star performer’s ability, but one in which he is a contributor rather than the focal point. Only then do you have a side capable of being successful.

Over the past 20 years, one of Liverpool’s many problems is they’ve too often had teams possessing a supreme individual talent who too often outshone the rest.

For a while it was Steve McManaman, then Robbie Fowler, Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suárez and, for a brief period most recently, Daniel Sturridge.

Whether it was Gérard Houllier, Rafa Benítez or Brendan Rodgers, they knew that their first task in constructing a side capable of challenging was to stop relying so much on a star man. It meant their prize asset would have to be compromised - sometimes a little, occasionally a lot (once or twice too much). Then everyone else would look better.

Each manager had a bit of success. Houllier’s 2001 treble side did not rely on Owen, despite him winning the Ballon d’Or that season. Houllier was able to rotate the England striker (he did not start the League Cup final that season), protecting his hamstrings to get more from him. Supporters who look fondly at that era celebrate Sami Hyypia, Didi Hamann, Jamie Carragher and Gary McAllister.

Benítez won the Champions League and FA Cup in 2005 and 2006 largely because of Gerrard, but the most consistent Premier League performance came in 2009 because of the Carragher/Hyypia defensive pairing and a midfield including Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso, allied to the striking presence of Fernando Torres.

Many still argue Rodgers’ near miss in pursuit of the title was all about Suárez, but in the Uruguayan’s first two seasons Liverpool finished 8th and 7th. It was when Rodgers tweaked the formation and Sturridge was alongside him, allied to the emergence of Raheem Sterling, that one of the most dynamic strikeforces in the country was created. Suarez played much of the title bid season in a wide-attacking role in order to accommodate Sturridge. Compromise worked.

The difference for Jürgen Klopp when compared with Houllier inheriting Owen, Benítez Gerrard and Rodgers Suárez, is Liverpool’s best player was injured when he arrived. By then, of course, we were delivering our weekly Sturridge dispatches. They’ve barely stopped since.

It was the worst of both worlds for Klopp last October. Not only was every press conference dominated by questions about the contribution and fitness of Sturridge, he was unable to select him. Although it seems to irk the England striker even to mention this statement of fact - as though it is an act of the most intolerable cruelty – his appearance record was appalling.

It would appear many think it was Klopp’s duty to sit around thinking everything will be fine once Sturridge returned (just as Rodgers did in his final six months). Never mind forward planning, Klopp had to indulge the idea of building a team that would be complete once his fully-fit goalscorer slotted into a central forward role.

Evidently, Klopp is rather more astute. The 'we should build a team around Sturridge' ship sailed into the distance long ago

Indeed, many of those taking the 'why isn’t Sturridge starting exam?' at Tottenham last Saturday demonstrated they have not done their revision. How swiftly they've forgotten Klopp's first fixture as Liverpool manager - at White Hart Lane - when Sturridge travelled to North London but said he could not play on the eve of the game. Let me assure you there were plenty of 'death stares' around Merseyside when that news filtered out before kick-off, too.

Since then, Sturridge’s injuries appear to have taken some pace out of his legs. There was a moment in the second half of the Europa League final, and at Burnley last weekend, when Sturridge was sent beyond a defence but did not have the capacity to make a sprint. It was worrying. It may be mental rather than physical – understandable caution perhaps – and hopefully not beyond remedy. Nevertheless, Klopp is correct to conclude the time is long overdue for the player to adapt to the system rather than persist with the idea the system and everyone else must adapt to the player.

The landscape has changed for the better at Liverpool because of this. On the basis of his first three games, it won’t just be questions about Sturridge Klopp is fending off this season. Sadio Mané, playing the ‘wide striker’ role to perfection, could become the subject of our obsession. Klopp won’t want that either as, like those before him, he recognises only a multi-faceted team can be successful.

Sturridge can be as frustrated as he likes. He can complain as often as he wants. Those who want him in the side - in his position of choice - can make as many appeals on his behalf as they wish in the forlorn hope anyone who matters at Liverpool cares what they think.

History at Anfield shows the best way for Sturridge to win medals with Liverpool is to realise no team of Klopp’s will rely on his selection, or any single player. It’s a message he must also have heard when he was at Chelsea and Manchester City.

Twelve months ago Sturridge was the absentee whose return every Liverpool fan, coach and board member craved. His absence was debilitating to himself and the club. Now he is a fit, he is one of numerous striking ‘options’. He'll still play. He'll still play a lot. Liverpool have invested a lot of time and money waiting for him to be available again. The least he can do is invest a little time and patience in the Liverpool manager to use him as and when appropriate.

The questions may still be all about Sturridge, but the destiny of the team is not.

As this transfer window comes to a close, that it is one of the surest signs of healthy progress at Anfield.

It's ok building a side that's the sum of it's parts, I'm all for that, but we still always inevitably end up looking for that extra bit of individual class to get us over the line in some games, it's natural at any level. It's why when the likes of Coutinho are off their game, that we struggle. We already saw the impact of losing Mane last weekend. While Klopp's Dortmund sides were great at overcoming the financial gap in the Bundesliga, he still had some absolutely top drawer players that he relied upon.

It's about striking a balance, yes we want an XI that fights for each other, that's cohesive and well drilled, but that shouldn't be at the expense of some elegance. It's kind of ironic that for a team that's being prepared to be work hungry from the front, that we've brought in a fairly luxurious signing in Wijnaldum, and that we're shoehorning two from him, Henderson and Lallana into deeper midfield roles where we really are crying out for industry.

So we can't afford a bit of allowance for a more selfish, workshy player up top, but we can continue trying to get by with a feather-weight midfield?

It's a bit confusing and frustrating.

Messi's pretty elegant and he works his socks off. So of course does Suarez. Henry was a far harder worker than Studge will ever be. I don't think in this day and age you can indulge a forward who does barely any closing down and often just strolls around or stands still. Studge didn't do that in Rodgers' best season, but he's practically late-Torres-like now with his minimalist performances. Balotelli rightly got slaughtered for such a performance and so too should Sturridge. Yes, he can score a goal with minimal backlift and it's a gorgeous thing to see, but forget his past record - here and now he doesn't look anywhere near the standard he's set himself, and is expected of a striker for this club.

Messi's pretty elegant and he works his socks off. So of course does Suarez. Henry was a far harder worker than Studge will ever be. I don't think in this day and age you can indulge a forward who does barely any closing down and often just strolls around or stands still. Studge didn't do that in Rodgers' best season, but he's practically late-Torres-like now with his minimalist performances. Balotelli rightly got slaughtered for such a performance and so too should Sturridge. Yes, he can score a goal with minimal backlift and it's a gorgeous thing to see, but forget his past record - here and now he doesn't look anywhere near the standard he's set himself, and is expected of a striker for this club.

I don't really disagree with that, but I think in his defense, when he has played lately, he's done what Klopp wants in terms of only being "through the middle" as a starting position, because he's gone wide and deep to help us maintain possession, too much so against Burnley. When he came on against Burton he did the same and got a couple of classy goals too. But then he gets 5 minutes in the next match, while an industrious false nine looked absolutely knackered after about 60 minutes. The game opened up when we started to tail off and look fatigued, the space opened up and it was the perfect point then to put Sturridge into the game. Origi came on and was instructed to work hard on the left, so his fairly significant goal threat was also minimalised. That's the sort of in-game stuff that Klopp needs to get better at, he does alot of good work at half time in games, he reorganises the team well in that sense, but "in game" he seems to hesitate or side with caution a bit too much.

The Spurs game was a bit reminiscent of a couple of the Euro games last season, particularly Villarreal away. We seem to get into the actual match and still maintain the sort of pre-match level of respect that we have for the opposition, instead of actually weighing up how the game is going and seizing the opportunity to capatalise on the opposition being below par. These are the games and situations where being a bit bolder during the game can get you extra points.

It's only a minor criticism and it's one I'm sure he'll overcome as he begins to trust his team a bit more.

It's ok building a side that's the sum of it's parts, I'm all for that, but we still always inevitably end up looking for that extra bit of individual class to get us over the line in some games, it's natural at any level. It's why when the likes of Coutinho are off their game, that we struggle. We already saw the impact of losing Mane last weekend. While Klopp's Dortmund sides were great at overcoming the financial gap in the Bundesliga, he still had some absolutely top drawer players that he relied upon.

It's about striking a balance, yes we want an XI that fights for each other, that's cohesive and well drilled, but that shouldn't be at the expense of some elegance. It's kind of ironic that for a team that's being prepared to be work hungry from the front, that we've brought in a fairly luxurious signing in Wijnaldum, and that we're shoehorning two from him, Henderson and Lallana into deeper midfield roles where we really are crying out for industry.

So we can't afford a bit of allowance for a more selfish, workshy player up top, but we can continue trying to get by with a feather-weight midfield?

It's a bit confusing and frustrating.

It's not wise saying that sort of thing when Klopp Acolytes are around.

He's an omniscient football genius, whose every move, decision, comment and action is akin to God, and must never be questioned or doubted.

rle3ab6slhycy4dv8m18.jpg

I wonder had our fixture been a little kinder - say a bit more like Utds - whether we'd be having this discussion at all. He did start against Burnley after all.

Arsenal away, Spurs away... they are hard fought games, particularly when you're us and to an extent reliant on effort over quality to give you an edge.

I've started typing several paragraphs going into the whole debate about Sturridge vs the team and all that jazz but ultimately figured what's the point. The media sense there is a story in this and Sturridge's interview seemed to confirm that there is. Is Sturridge likely to change? Klopp?

I'd like to think that a compromise can be found because as has been said a million times before we can ill afford to just throw away a talent like Sturridge's but once this shit starts it only tends to end one way.

I want to see proof that Sturbridge still has it...

Unfortunately I have not really seen anything to say he should start automatically above Firmno.

It would help if he worked hard on the pitch when trying to rediscover his form.

All this Sturridge stuff has been blown out of proportion for me. It's a long old season. He'll get plenty of games.

To be honest if he was for sale would a top club come for him ? Both city and chelsea had reasons to pass him on and they both like us demand that 'effort' from the front men.

I can't see Sturridge going anywhere whilst under contract. He would be very expensive (wages and transfer fee) and his injury record is shite and his attitude questionable. Signing him would be an epic gamble for any team and we'd be idiots to loan him out. I reckon he'd be picky and would only be willing to go to a handful of teams around Europe, none of which want or need him.

Unless Wenger gets desperate and loses his mind he'll still be a Liverpool player in September.

Unfortunately the pessimist in me can see this going badly.. I can see him tearing a hamstring soon, blaming Klopp and everyone else for his misfortune and then sitting around moaning whilst his contact runs out. Nobody will touch him after another serious injury we'd have to sell him for dirt cheap and buy out the reminder of his contract (no way he'll consider a move to a smaller club on lower wages). He will then show some form in the last year of his contract and get a tidy free agent signing with Newcastle united.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom