• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Summer clearout

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

That's a big number, if true. Who's on your list?

I have a feeling, if we manage to get a couple of big midfield signings over the line, Hendo might be the one to make way. Fabinho will be harder to shift. Thiago will surely see out his contract and leave on a free in summer 2024.

I have a feeling, if we manage to get a couple of big midfield signings over the line, Hendo might be the one to make way. Fabinho will be harder to shift. Thiago will surely see out his contract and leave on a free in summer 2024.

Who do we have to sell? If it is truly 14 I would imagine it would be players in the academy.
Matip will see out his contract. Gomez and CJ aren't going which just leaves Nat alongside the obvious. I really can't see 14 players leaving unless you count the youth and player like carvalho who should be sent out on loan.

The Echo article actually names the possibles:
Melo
Firmino
Milner
Keita
Ox
Carvalho (loan)
Adrian
Nat
Matip
Rhys Williams
Kostas
Clarkson
Morton
Bradley
(the latter three being speculative).
Total EPL appearances between them so far this season: 47 starts, 58 subs.
So it's not as dramatic as it first sounds, and the whole thing is highly speculative, about as reliable as one of our posts on here.
Not having a go at @rurikbird who shared it in good faith, obvs.

Last edited:
I’d imagine the last two will be given the Klopp travelling with the senior squad preseason treatment to see how they get on.

It’s funny, i remember marvelling at Klopps squad a few years ago because it didn’t really have any dead wood. Not the case any more is it.

Contract expiring - 6:
Firmino
Keita
Ox
Milner
Adrian
Lewis (reserve team LB)

Loan ending - 1:
Melo

Likely to be sold/loaned - 9:
Kelleher
Phillips
Williams
van den Berg
Clarkson
Morton
Ramsay
Carvalho
Bradley

We have very little sellable assets - young player wise. :oops: At least Neco Williams got us £16m... Kelleher is probably the best bet

None of our loanees will make it. So if someone makes a reasonable offer we should sell.

I will sell Gomez as well and bring in another defender with a long term view.

Contract expiring - 6:
Firmino
Keita
Ox
Milner
Adrian
Lewis (reserve team LB)

Loan ending - 1:
Melo

Kelleher
Phillips
Williams
van den Berg
Clarkson
Morton
Ramsay
Carvalho
Bradley

We have very little sellable assets - young player wise. :oops: At least Neco Williams got us £16m... Kelleher is probably the best bet
We have a few sellable assets amongst the younger players but there is always a concern that they could develop into the next level.

Kelleher, Elliott, Jones, Bradley, Morton for a start. That should be £100m + but I would rather we lose some of the older players or even better, FSG invest in the squad!

Ox
Frimino
Naby
Gomez
Big Joel
Adrian
Melo
Phillips
Williams
Carvalho on loan
Milner to coach role
and probably a youngster or two who have been deemed not good enough

I think a couple of those stay. It is up to 14.

Thiago out could be a surprise, and the sale of Salah to PSG.

We have a few sellable assets amongst the younger players but there is always a concern that they could develop into the next level.

Kelleher, Elliott, Jones, Bradley, Morton for a start. That should be £100m + but I would rather we lose some of the older players or even better, FSG invest in the squad!

Oh, I'm referring to those who don't have a chance of making it here - Phillips, Williams, van den Berg (Kelleher's case is more because he himself probably prefer to leave). I do think it's too early to give up on the likes of Clarkson and Morton (and of course, Bradley too) - after all, their value can only raise.

Melo
Firmino
Milner
Keita
Ox
Carvalho (loan)
Adrian
Nat
Matip
Rhys Williams
Kostas
Clarkson
Morton
Bradley
So it's not as dramatic as it first sounds, and the whole thing is highly speculative, about as reliable as one of our posts on here.

Not sure Tsimikas would be on the list. Did better than Robbo when it was going shit for Robbo - Keep. besides who would we replace him with? Carvalho, loan, keeps me happy. The rest are meh as long as we get a CB and a RB, I am not complaining.

Not sure Tsimikas would be on the list. Did better than Robbo when it was going shit for Robbo - Keep. besides who would we replace him with? Carvalho, loan, keeps me happy. The rest are meh as long as we get a CB and a RB, I am not complaining.
I like Kostas, he's a nutter (in a good way) but he hasn't played much and he's probably an expensive bench warmer who could raise a good price, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was something in that (the Echo basically say they hear he's been attracting interest).

I like Kostas, he's a nutter (in a good way) but he hasn't played much and he's probably an expensive bench warmer who could raise a good price, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was something in that (the Echo basically say they hear he's been attracting interest).
Considering how much we need to strengthen in other areas, the LB role, I wouldn't touch this season. If an offer came in for £30m then I would give it second thoughts

I know who is number one in Momo's list ;)

Melo
Firmino
Milner
Keita
Ox
Carvalho (loan)
Adrian
Nat
Matip
Rhys Williams
Kostas
Clarkson
Morton
Bradley
With the exception of Kostas & Matip (a cert that neither are going anywhere) the list is reasonable and even likely. Hendo going nowhere, Thiago going nowhere. I doubt we'd let Morton go without a really good offer - so a loan.

Contract expiring - 6:
Firmino
Keita
Ox
Milner
Adrian
Lewis (reserve team LB)

Loan ending - 1:
Melo

Kelleher
Phillips
Williams
van den Berg
Clarkson
Morton
Ramsay
Carvalho
Bradley

No chance Ramsay will be loaned or sold. Once he's fit he's Trent's backup.

I'd be very surprised because it then means we'd have to find a backup that'll cost even more than we paid for Kostas (+ his salary) ! £12m and £3m a year is very reasonable for a backup at a Top 6 club.

I would very much welcome 14 players leaving this summer.

Adrian Kelleher Gomez Fabinho Milner Ox Naby Firmino Phillips Carvalho & then I suppose Sepp Rhys Melo all count.

Don't see there being a big player departure like Mo Jota Virgil etc

No chance Ramsay will be loaned or sold. Once he's fit he's Trent's backup.

I was thinking it will depend on (1) when he returns from injury - after all his last match was in Feb (2) Bradley's progress (3) who we sign, e.g. a CB who can cover RB + mins on pitch at his age would do his development more good then getting the odd game/mins.

None of our loanees will make it. So if someone makes a reasonable offer we should sell.

I will sell Gomez as well and bring in another defender with a long term view.

Do they ever?

Awoniyi - Nope
Wilson - Nope
Kent - Nope
Ojo - Nope
Brewster - Nope
Suso - Nope
Grabara - Nope
Woodburn - Nope
Millar - Nope
Ejaria - Nope
Chirivella - Nope

The problem is that we'll likely have to pay a similar fee (or higher) to replace him so unless he wants to go and / or we feel like we can get someone better it seems like needless churn.

Do they ever?

Awoniyi - Nope
Wilson - Nope
Kent - Nope
Ojo - Nope
Brewster - Nope
Suso - Nope
Grabara - Nope
Woodburn - Nope
Millar - Nope
Ejaria - Nope
Chirivella - Nope
Suso did and you could argue Awoniyi did for one season for other clubs

They made it elsewhere.
Ok.....but what has that got to do with the post I replied to indicating we should sell because they won't make it (at LFC)

Probably all of them in that case will go on to make it elsewhere.....

The problem is that we'll likely have to pay a similar fee (or higher) to replace him so unless he wants to go and / or we feel like we can get someone better it seems like needless churn.

He's got 2 years left on his current deal though. So its either sell now if there is interest and get a decent fee, or lose him for next to nothing.
I guess it depends on what clubs are willing to pay.

We've got a first team quality player who is playing a bit part. We could get decent money for him and replace him with someone cheaper who is good enough to play a dozen games a year.
And it works from a profit / FFP perspective - profit on sale, cost of new player spread over five years. Failing to turn over players like Kostas is precisely the kind of thing we've all criticised Klopp for not doing. We need to keep generating profits on sale every year, he's a good candidate - will raise decent money and we won't lose much in playing contribution because he doesn't get a game very often.

We've got a first team quality player who is playing a bit part. We could get decent money for him and replace him with someone cheaper who is good enough to play a dozen games a year.
And it works from a profit / FFP perspective - profit on sale, cost of new player spread over five years. Failing to turn over players like Kostas is precisely the kind of thing we've all criticised Klopp for not doing. We need to keep generating profits on sale every year, he's a good candidate - will raise decent money and we won't lose much in playing contribution because he doesn't get a game very often.
Gomez only cost a few mill. As he is young and English, we could get £30m for him. He has had good seasons. Which LB can we get that would be better value than Tsimi

Gomez only cost a few mill. As he is young and English, we could get £30m for him. He has had good seasons. Which LB can we get that would be better value than Tsimi
Pretty much any LB from the teams about to be relegated (or losers in Championship play offs) would be good enough to fill in for a few games a year. And bear in mind we're at risk of not playing in Europe next year so there'll be less pressure to rotate. Again, I like Kostas, but he's a luxury reserve player. Gomez the same.

We had the right idea with Ramsay - young with a lot of potential to grow, can play if called upon. Too bad he gets injured so much. If we can get someone similar and robust for left back, Tsimi would be a good option to raise money. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have noticed with transfers like Ramsay, the deal gets structured very favorably for the purchasing team - base price plus additions which kick off based on appearances which can be spread over a number of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom